How to get MAX everything out of IV?

SpEJay

Hi folks,

Right i've done with IV many times over on the PS3, i've recently decided it's time to build a super rig & as such i thought GTA IV would be nice to piss around with once again...

I have an absolute beast of a pc, i needn't bother posting my specs but let's just say 6990, many happy cores on 5ghz & 16gb of sexy ramage, it eats everything in the way with ZERO exceptions, but oh look, step in IV to have the worse possible acceptance of high end specs.

So i've pissed around with all the commandline.txt fun, i've exhausted it all with the only victory being actually having MAX everything and running IV good enough, problem iam left with is some jumpy bits in cut scenes & randomly here and there in game...

My pc is literally idle whilst running IV as it's obviously badly configured somehow & iam wanting absolute perfection, which IV seems dead set on avoiding giving to me...

Anyway, to cut a long story short, i've tried manually setting everything with many commands, i've tried alsorts of examples with all the different configs suggested & where i've ended up is with version 1.0.4.0 as it does infact seem the best to use, and using -norestrictions only.

The game runs fine & stable with max everything except some jumpyness, i want rid of the jumpyness, iam fully aware -norestrictions isn't the best way to allow me to do things, but it's the only way i can actually get everything on MAX & running without errors...

Every other method has either gave me a crash out error, not actually applied max settings or has caused missing textures etc...

So i'd like to ask, surely someone else out there has a super rig & knows how to make IV run perfectly with max everything & zero problems? If so, please tell me how to make this so... Oh and of course feel free to add any info on the best realism mods worth bothering with, i want to see IV in all it's glory possible ^_^ Cheers!

OverTheBelow

6990 isn't the best for GTA4 and I wouldn't expect it to max out GTA4 without jumpiness, simply due to the fact that this game hates SLI/crossfire and as a result will only be using half of your dual-GPU card; basically an underclocked 6970.

DU8afL0.jpg

Lol well that's laughably pathetic!! I mean, IV is hardly the most performance intensive game in the world, but yeah it's much more lovely to look at on the pc & it hates high specs? pfft!

Well i can't do any less than a single 6990 so iam screwed in otherwords? What exactly does IV play ball with for max settings?

OverTheBelow

Yeah, it is a badly made game on PC unfortunately. Only supports three cores too. All I'd do in your position is lower the sliders to around 40 or so as opposed to 100, since you probably won't notice much difference at all. Other than that, consider disabling crossfire and overclocking one of your 6990's GPUs to 6970 clocks or higher.

A single-gpu card like the GTX 580 would probably be the best option for the game at this time, but still wouldn't deliver more than maybe 40fps on max depending on resolution. Don't take my word on that though, I'm just estimating. tounge.gif

Edited by OverTheBelow

DU8afL0.jpg

Hehe cheers for that, it's a darn shame to get restricted! I've already overclocked my 6990's so i'll just disable them down to the 1 gpu then, bit silly that gta reads all the gigs of vram but tells you a lie & spits at you about it!

A single-gpu card like the GTX 580 would probably be the best option for the game at this time

Correct. The game doesn´t support dual-gpu´s anyway as far as I know or the benefit may be pretty small.

Besides this the game wasn´t developed for ATI. I recommend NVidia. My experiences are better with that. RAM amount isn´t that much important.

Besides this the game wasn´t developed for ATI. I recommend NVidia.

I recommend knowing what you actually talk about BEFORE posting.

Turn off hyperthreading if you have that.

Turn off Crossfire/SLI.

Slam some extra MHz onto your active HD6990.

Turn View Distance down to 50, tops. (unless you inspect every aliased pixel you won't notice sh*t)

Turn Detail Distance down to 50, tops. (you're not noticing those extra 2 bulbs on 2 miles anyway)

Water quality is acceptable on High. (On Very High water has more ripples than a lake getting bombarded with mortars 24/7)

If you're not using ENB, turn down reflection resolution to high. (sh*t rendering anyway)

This should make GTA IV run a tad better. If you don't play MP, remove the game and install it. DO NOT UPDATE TO 1.0.0.4 OR HIGHER. New shadows suck and are slow.

What's wrong with 1.0.4.0 OR HIGHER patch anyway? They ain't suck, they sure look better and perform the same if not better as well. With o/p's rig, it's obvious that he can max out this game without any problem, the only issue is that GTAIV hates mgpu solution, simply disable it and give your GPU as much clock as possible. An i7 is more than enough for GTAIV, if you own one then stop worrying, crank everything up and deal with the only issue left: VGA's horse power.

I'm pretty sure that a single GTX580 will out perform every other VGA in this game, especially the 3GB version.

One more thing, memory bandwidth plays a lot more important role in performance than amount of memory - as GTAIV is a 32bit app, 3.2GB is its maximum usable RAM, which is why you MUST overclock your RAM speed if you want to get a stable long run performance. I bought my 2GHz RAM kits simply due to this.

YankeesPwnMets

A GTX 580 or Radeon 6970 would be a better performer here. Since GTA IV supports only one GPU, your 6990 is weaker because a 6990 is just two underclocked 6970s. Try to overclock the cores at bit.

If you got a unlimited fund towards the graphics card, i highly suggest getting a 3072MB version of GTX 580. GTX 580 runs this game better vs 6970 and the huge load of Vram will allow you to run EMB without any performance loss.

Edited by JigglyAss

Gta4Freak-2011

A 6970 is no doubt not a weak card but a underclocked version barely being able to run the gameuser posted image

A 6970 is no doubt not a weak card but a underclocked version barely being able to run the gameuser posted image

The game is very CPU limited, 580 runs this game better than a 6970.