GPU overheating?

friendly luggage

friendly luggage

Thanks guys problem is now sorted

Help!

After playing GTA IV for about 15mins the FPS drops from 20 to 1. It also does this in GTA San Andreas as it goes from like 60 to 5.

So then I started GTA IV with HW moniter running on my other screen and my idle gpu temp is 77ºC! After playing the game for about 10-15 mins it reaches 115ºC and then the game lags horribly for about half a minute and then goes back to normal fps for another minute or so and then it overheats again.

Here are my system specs:

Pentium 4 3Ghz with HT on

Nvidia 9400GT

3Gb DDR2

Windows XP SP3 32bit

I run my computer with the side panel off as otherwise the heat would just build up inside. I can't add another fan as my computer is an old Dell Dimension 4700 and the motherboard and PSU doesn't seem to have any connections.

Could it be my PSU is too weak as it is the standard dell one and is rated at a measly 305Watts.

BTW it seems to do this on any game I play.

Ok here's what I done

I removed the dial up card

user posted image

And then put the sound card in its place to allow more air flow that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif

user posted image

Idle temp before: 77 degrees celcius

Idle temp after: 50 degrees celcius

Playing GTA IV before: goes up to 115 degrees celcius and then throttles down to avoid fusion taking place from the extreme temperatures biggrin.gif

Playing GTA IV after: goes up to 75 degrees celcius and stays there smile.gif

Edited by illegal_luggage

YankeesPwnMets

Get rid of the overclock. Only real solution unless you buy a new computer, since your PC's cooling can't be upgraded

friendly luggage

I don't know what you mean by get rid of the overclock. I havn't overclocked it. Here's what CPU-Z says on the clocks:

Core:550mhz

Shaders:1375mhz

Memory:333mhz

Pentium 4 3Ghz

There's the problem-you are running the game on a Single Core CPU9Pentium 4's are Single Core)-IV needs at least a Dual Core CPU to run optimally. Put ALL settings on Low and Lower the Resolution, that should help some with performance. That is an old processor-like 6-7years old to be exact(which means it was released BEFORE IV was even planned). What makes people think they can run a High End game on a old Single core processor is beyond me? Just curious on that one. confused.gif

Edited by radioman

friendly luggage

No but the lag intervals happen on much less demanding games like San Andreas. I run that game at 1280x1024 with max draw distance and 3xAA with like 50FPS and then something in my computer gets too hot and makes the game lag for like half a minute. I still believe it's my graphics card because on HW monitor it shows that my idle temp is really high (77 degrees celcius) and then it rises to 115 degrees.

Oh here's how GTA IV performes on my computer. I know it's laggy and there are texture glitches but it's playable. I don't bother doing missions because I've completed them and all the DLC's on the xbox. I've even killed all the pigeons.

GTA IV on my single core cpu

No but the lag intervals happen on much less demanding games like San Andreas. I run that game at 1280x1024 with max draw distance and 3xAA with like 50FPS and then something in my computer gets too hot and makes the game lag for like half a minute. I still believe it's my graphics card because on HW monitor it shows that my idle temp is really high (77 degrees celcius) and then it rises to 115 degrees.

Oh heres how GTA IV perfomes on my computer. I know it's laggy and there are texture glitches but it's playable. I don't bother doing missions because I completed them and all the DLC's on the xbox. I even killed all the pigeons.

GTA IV on my single core cpu

Since it says in the Video description that you have the latest Patch-I have read that the latest Patch is a resource hog. Try using Patch 4(it is supposed to be the best one for lower spec systems and see if that helps with the problem. Also, since you have mods installed, that is another big issue, as mods use a lot more resources-especially on lower end pc's-so, get rid of the mods and you should see a huge performance boost too-especially with patch 4.

But, just curious, What is the point of playing the PC version if you are not going to do the missions-that is the main part of the game and what makes it fun.? I too have beat the game on PS3-two and three times, but yet I am playing the PC version now, and it seems like the PC version is easier than the console versions, due to having the flexibilty of mouse and keyboard. Just curious.

friendly luggage

Yeah soon after that video I replaced the vehicles.img with the original one as I just kept getting the taxi glitch (I also remembered to replace handling.dat etc)

When I first got gta for the pc I looked at the forums to find the best patch so I downloaded 1.0.4.0 and my fps increased quite abit from original game with no patch but then I re-installed gta and patched it to 1.0.7.0 and I find that gives me the best performace. I remember trying out shadows on patch 1.0.4.0 on low setting and they looked horrible and also slowed my pc down quite abit so I turned them off. On patch 1.0.7.0 the shadows on low look alot better but still slow the pc down so I keep them turned off so that is maybe why people say patch 1.0.4.0 is the fastest because of the shadows are less detailed maybe...

I know im losing out half the experience of gta by not doing the story again but it's not enjoyable at 15-20fps. Ahwell in one or two months after my exams and after we've been on holiday my mum said I could build my own PC if I do well in my exams. I just hope I can get the parts in time for project andReAGE otherwise I will have to play it on this computer sad.gif

is this your computer's case?

http://www.pcmag.com/image_popup/0,1871,s=...d=101536,00.asp

is this your motherboard?

http://www.impactcomputers.com/multiple-images-popup.html

then the holes look standard, and it doesn't seem like dell has those proprietary ATX connections on this model

swap it into a case with some decent cooling like and antec three hundred

don't abuse those capacitors, once they go, they are gone:

http://badcaps.net/

friendly luggage

Yeah that's my case but the second link for the motherboard doesn't work. It says error on page for me and is blank. Ahwell don't worry I've uninstalled GTA IV for now but I'll build my own PC in a few months. Those new AMD Bulldozer processors will be out soon, can't wait to see the benchmarks biggrin.gif

Thanks for suggesting me to change my case but I realise this system is just too old now and worth updating so I put gaming aside for now...

OverTheBelow

I'd be more excited about Intel Ivy Bridge, seeing as Bulldozer is intended as competition for current Sandy bridge processors.. of which have already been out for a couple of months.

115C is deadly for a graphics card, and it certainly shouldn't be idling at 77C! thats what my overclocked 5850 gets to at load! Have you ever even dusted your PC before?

DU8afL0.jpg

do your thing, pimping. you said it was doing 20fps at first and you was cool with that, so i figured a $40 upgrade that you could use later was the move. but i feel you. peace and good luck with future pc builds

friendly luggage

I'd be more excited about Intel Ivy Bridge, seeing as Bulldozer is intended as competition for current Sandy bridge processors.. of which have already been out for a couple of months.

115C is deadly for a graphics card, and it certainly shouldn't be idling at 77C! thats what my overclocked 5850 gets to at load! Have you ever even dusted your PC before?

Yeah I keep the inside clean but I think I might know why it's so hot. On the PC-I slot next to my graphics card is my sound card. It is literaly like 1cm close to it and as the fan side of the graphics card is blocked and cannot suck any air could this be why. Next to the sound card is my network card, if they both have the same PC-I slot can I just switch them around because the network card is alot less taller meaning the fan could access some air.

Diagram with words:

[Graphics card on motherboard]

[Fan is this side]

[sound card on motherboard]

[Network card on motherboard]

Could I just swap the sound and network card around then? confused.gif

EDIT: I just re-installed gta and applied patch 1.0.0.4 and I get 33fps on the beach near the sultan rs cool.gif

Swap the sound and network card.

Just curious, What does the Sound card and Network card have to do with game performance? The Sound card is just for Sound and a Network card is just for Internet and Networking between PC's.? confused.gif

YankeesPwnMets

Just curious, What does the Sound card and Network card have to do with game performance? The Sound card is just for Sound and a Network card is just for Internet and Networking between PC's.? confused.gif

The extra PCI or PCI E cards can impede airflow to the GPU.

Try to remove every PCI or PCI E card except the graphics card, leave the side open and turn your AC on at full blast. Does that lower the temperatures?

Leaving a gap under the graphics card will help. Try taking out the network card, leaving the slot open so air can come in from the back. If that improves temperatures, it may be worthwhile replacing the network card with a pci-e version so you can use the bottom slot.

friendly luggage

EDIT!

Ok so I removed the network card all together and put the sound card in it's place and I'll see if temps improve. The network card I was on about seems a little strange because nothing was connected into its ethernet connection and there's a telephone symbol on it so was it for dial up connection? Luckily the computer started fine afterwards and my sound still works. My sound card was some Sound Blaster Audigy 2 from 2003 biggrin.gif

I'll check the temps now and by the way when I logged on to my user it said all this found new hardware sound blaster audigy processor etc. Is this normal?

Ok so my idle temp is now 49 degrees and on GTA IV for like half an hour it doesn't go over 75 degrees biggrin.gif

Read the post above mine.

Help!

After playing GTA IV for about 15mins the FPS drops from 20 to 1. It also does this in GTA San Andreas as it goes from like 60 to 5.

So then I started GTA IV with HW moniter running on my other screen and my idle gpu temp is 77ºC! After playing the game for about 10-15 mins it reaches 115ºC and then the game lags horribly for about half a minute and then goes back to normal fps for another minute or so and then it overheats again.

Nvidia 9400GT

3Gb DDR2

Windows XP SP3 32bit

I run my computer with the side panel off as otherwise the heat would just build up inside. I can't add another fan as my computer is an old Dell Dimension 4700 and the motherboard and PSU doesn't seem to have any connections.

Could it be my PSU is too weak as it is the standard dell one and is rated at a measly 305Watts.

Ok here's what I done

user posted image

And then put the sound card in its place to allow more air flow that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif

user posted image

Playing GTA IV before: goes up to 115 degrees celcius and then throttles down to avoid fusion taking place from the extreme temperatures biggrin.gif

I got no other good advice, that will save you time, money in the end, and frustration.

New parts, new chassis, build a complete new one.

Workstation PCs are not for gaming, sorry. sad.gif

A fan is a fan. Your mother bord does not have to support it. Just se if you can find a way to add an external fan. If you run with the side cover off you may be able to hook up a few desk fans, and do the cooling sistem that way.

friendly luggage

Help!

Nvidia 9400GT

3Gb DDR2

Windows XP SP3 32bit

Ok here's what I done

I got no other good advice, that will save you time, money in the end, and frustration.

New parts, new chassis, build a complete new one.

Workstation PCs are not for gaming, sorry. sad.gif

Im gonna build a computer in a few months time after my exams and and after we've been on holiday to Florida. By then there will be the new Intel and AMD cpu's and won't the ati 7xxx series be out by then and are nvidia doing a 6 series? My budget will be like £600ish pounds and I don't need a moniter either just the computer.

OverTheBelow

October/november is probably when the next line of graphics cards will arrive.

DU8afL0.jpg

friendly luggage
October/november is probably when the next line of graphics cards will arrive.

Ok thanks, I might then go with a 6850 as the prices will start dropping once they release the 7 series