Sony Confirms It Is Working On A Future Platform

Dymez

PlayStation 4? Sony Confirms It Is Working On "Future Platform"

During an investor call in Japan late last night, Sony confirmed that is working on a "future platform." Although few hard details were revealed about the platofrm, this is the first official mention from Sony of these plans.

When discussing an increase in research and development costs over the last quarter, Sony’s VP and CFO Masaru Kato said:

"For the home equipment the PS3 still has a product life, but this is a platform business, so for the future platform – when we’ll be introducing what product I cannot discuss that – but our development work is already under way, so the costs are incurred there.”

Kato said whatever Sony is working on will have a different kind of launch than the PS3. The losses has suffered on the PlayStation 3 had to do with the price of semiconductors versus retail prices.Sony has since created its own semi conductor facilities, and this mean it is "no longer thinkable to have a huge initial financial investment like that of the PS3," according to Kato.

It's hardly surprising that Sony is working on a new console -- that's the company's whole thing-- but Kato's comments seem at odds with recent statements from Sony head Kaz Hirai. Back in February, Kaz said, "A near-future PS4 or next-generation home console is not something that we are even debating now. That is to say, we are still concentrating fully upon the PS3. Right now, I appeal to you to think of the PS3 and NGP as a new, co-operative partnership."

Obviously, as soon as we know more about whatever Sony is cooking up, we'll tell you, but it might be a while -- we have no word on when we'll be hearing more.

Source: AndriaSang

Read more: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7129.../#ixzz1NUddcnFw

qazzaq12345

Of course not NGP, so yes probably a PS4. Also its rumored that micrsoft are making a console too.

NSFW.

This has swearing in it, but we've played GTA and so does that, so:

FFS, I hope not, the PS3 is far from dead surely, this would be a terrible omve on Sony's part, the PS3 has so much more to give, and Sony lose money on console sales, so I doubt this is true.

Either way we won't see it for a few more years. If we didn't, I know I would be disappointed and would probably just turn to PC gaming.

FFS, I hope not, the PS3 is far from dead surely, this would be a terrible omve on Sony's part, the PS3 has so much more to give, and Sony lose money on console sales, so I doubt this is true.

They are working on a PS4, and it will probably release in 2013-2014, so the life of the PS3 will near the end of its life.

DVf9mQs.png

Formerly known as The General

Either way we won't see it for a few more years. If we didn't, I know I would be disappointed and would probably just turn to PC gaming.

IMO, I believe the next console Sony releases will pretty much be PC gaming. How much more better can you get a console than what's on shelves now? Make it like a PC.

Well companies are working on their consoles all the time. Scientists are working on a cure for cancer all the time...I don't think either is coming soon.

Banned, now stay the f*ck out

Snake Without a Tongue
Well companies are working on their consoles all the time. Scientists are working on a cure for cancer all the time...I don't think either is coming soon.

I'm quoting this because I wish I had said it.

Pretty much this. Until gamers start to get bored or dissatisfied with the current console, Sony won't out anything and milk the current gen for all it's worth.

Five years gives me time to get the most out of my PS3. Hell, I might even begin saving now for a PS4.

user posted image

I don't want new consoles to be out soon. I want to enjoy the games I have now on my console now. Whenever a new console comes out, even if it has backwards compatibility (big if) the old games get left behind.

Prometheus
I don't want new consoles to be out soon. I want to enjoy the games I have now on my console now. Whenever a new console comes out, even if it has backwards compatibility (big if) the old games get left behind.

Well its coming anyway, project cafe the next gen wii, and a high possibility of the next gen xbox coming out in the next 2 and a half years.

3lIXKDi.png

Well its coming anyway, project cafe the next gen wii, and a high possibility of the next gen xbox coming out in the next 2 and a half years.

Looks like it unfortunately.

I guess I fail to see how new consoles are a bad thing. I'm giving both companies a good 4-5 year span until another is launched. And by that time, we will all be expecting a new console. I don't care if it's $1000 USD. I'll still buy the new Xbox and maybe even invest in the new PlayStation. I haven't even bothered getting a PS3 yet. As for Nintendo, no thanks.

user posted image

I guess I fail to see how new consoles are a bad thing.

Same here.

New console = better games. I don't think this is a yearly cycle kind of thing, it's a progressive move forward in technology. If it doesn't reach the life expectancy than they've obviously misinterpreted how fast technology (in games) is developing.

Edited by Remix.

Finn 7 five 11

Yeah it is an annoyance having to leave old games behind, but if your keen you can (with most games) download them off steam, if your playing say...PS2 games your computer will be able to handle them with ease and you simply need a program so you can hook up your old controller.

The next generation of consoles being under development was pretty much a given, no surprise there, i think i will build a pc this time around and hopefully there will be simultaneous console/pc releases, if not i will probably buy a console anyway and then enjoy the pc release later.

As for the person who said consoles cant get much better, well i hope you realize that the consoles we have now are pretty pathetic, they only just manage to cope with the games that are currently available, and the average gaming computer is 5-10times more powerful than the current consoles, not including CPU.

Don't except PS4 anytime soon, unless Microsoft decides to rush and jump the first one with a Xbox "720" again, then yea.

AndyGanteks

If it's in 5-6 years, then no problem here. icon14.gif Good games will start coming out for it in 7-8 years and games for PS3 will be out for another 2-3 years after the PS4 release, thus keeping the old one alive a bit more for those who won't have 1000$ yet to pay for PS4 at the release date.

Yeah it is an annoyance having to leave old games behind, but if your keen you can (with most games) download them off steam, if your playing say...PS2 games your computer will be able to handle them with ease and you simply need a program so you can hook up your old controller.

The next generation of consoles being under development was pretty much a given, no surprise there, i think i will build a pc this time around and hopefully there will be simultaneous console/pc releases, if not i will probably buy a console anyway and then enjoy the pc release later.

As for the person who said consoles cant get much better, well i hope you realize that the consoles we have now are pretty pathetic, they only just manage to cope with the games that are currently available, and the average gaming computer is 5-10times more powerful than the current consoles, not including CPU.

I suppose I could do the steam thing...Problem is my computer is pretty crappy and I'd have to buy my games over again.

I agree with basically all of the last two paragraphs of your post.

Call me jaded but I can't be excited for this.

Having my PS3 for barely 6 months now nothing bugs me more than news on new CONSOLE YAY.

And to everyone who thinks this is a good thing good for you if 1000 bucks for graphics whoring is your thing.

Having my PS3 for barely 6 months now nothing bugs me more than news on new CONSOLE YAY.

And to everyone who thinks this is a good thing good for you if 1000 bucks for graphics whoring is your thing.

Actually I probably won't buy the PS4, I'm more of an xbox person, but I assume they will come out at around the same time.

also $1000 is an exaggeration, even though early on PS3 prices where outrageous.

Actually I probably won't buy the PS4, I'm more of an xbox person

Same.

And I just threw that out there as an example number of $1000 because I wouldn't be surprised if this is what we saw. I think next generation consoles will be a lot more than just video game consoles, and more so like PC's and these new "smart" televisions that have been coming out combined into one. We're already seeing small steps to this in current consoles. Social apps implemented, Facebook and Twatter, show and movie apps as Netflix and Hulu, etc, etc. There will probably be internet browsers on all platforms. Sony and Microsoft will probably expand even more on motion sense technology and it may even be an attached physical part of the next gen consoles. And then who really knows what else may happen. We may see capabilities of PC games being on the new consoles, in PC form such as MMOs. Major titles like World of Warcraft could be popped into the console and there you go. No more needing to worry about PC game requirements for a while for the average joe who just wants to buy one console and have it run everything he wants to play. Just hook up them USB wired/wireless keyboard and mouse combos.

...who knows...

user posted image

Thing is, consoles are mostly closed systems compared to PC, which is an open platform. PS3 has started to see the integration of Steam and Portal 2 mods are going to be available on it and the 360, yet the OS is still closed from the general pubic since it's just more profitable to keep the system 'to themselves'.

They will never be like PCs, no matter how close they get.

Finn 7 five 11

Actually I probably won't buy the PS4, I'm more of an xbox person, but I assume they will come out at around the same time.

also $1000 is an exaggeration, even though early on PS3 prices where outrageous.

Early PS3 prices were so high because of the backwards compatibility thats why the took it out, it was too expensive, blu ray was also a new technology.