Is every sandbox game a GTA ripoff?

universetwisters

universetwisters

I'm asking this because I'm trying to make a first-person sandbox game, and everybody keeps saying its a GTA ripoff.

NOTE: IF IT DEPENDS, PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY

Edited by universetwisters

sTgL5iS.png

Arsen Vitiuk

No, of course not!

In some games the idea may be similar to GTA but that doesn't make it a rip-off! No way!

All games have the right to exist. And people who call one game a rip-off of another one are either jealous or not far-sighted.

So go on with making your game. And good luck in it! icon14.gif

KevinR1990

Short answer: no.

Long answer: GTA wasn't even the first sandbox game. The Legend of Zelda came out a decade before the original GTA, the first Driver beat GTA III to the punch by two years, and Rockstar North's own Body Harvest (back when they were still DMA Design) came out in 1998. Calling every sandbox game a ripoff of GTA III, ten years after that game came out, would be like calling every first-person shooter a "Doom clone" in 2003.

First ever sand-box game? Probably Elite back in 1984.

No way does being a sand-box game make it a GTA rip-off. Saint's Row is an unashamed GTA rip-off, but is Assassin's Creed? Or Fable? Or Mercenaries? Of course not. So long as it's an original idea with its own purpose then a sand-box game shouldn't have to suffer GTA comparisons.

universetwisters
So long as it's an original idea with its own purpose then a sand-box game shouldn't have to suffer GTA comparisons.

would you consider this an original idea: http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=470670&st=0

Even though my game isnt a GTA game, me and my friends are hoping it will be published by Rockstar, and if so, it will be in the same universe as GTA/Manhunt

sTgL5iS.png

Depends. For me, a rip-off would be something that resembles GTA when it comes to content, gameplay, features, etc. for the majority part without much originality. On the other hand, a particular game might be inspired from GTA but need not have the same stuff and features. That would not be a rip-off.

So long as it's an original idea with its own purpose then a sand-box game shouldn't have to suffer GTA comparisons.

would you consider this an original idea: http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=470670&st=0

Even though my game isnt a GTA game, me and my friends are hoping it will be published by Rockstar, and if so, it will be in the same universe as GTA/Manhunt

Original? Well in terms of gameplay..not really. Plenty of stuff there lifted straight from GTA. Lots of nice extra features that could easily find their way into future GTAs, but at its core, its still looks GTA. At least you're not trying to hide that fact by trying to set it in the GTA universe. Good luck with it icon14.gif

Its depends on what game you are based...

True crime Streets of LA is a COPY of gta III , just look the protagonist...

But Driver series isnt a copy because its games were released before gta takes his own sucess.

No, of course not. They might take influence from GTA, but that's something that is not just acceptable but should be encouraged. GTA pioneered sandbox games, but that doesn't mean every other sandbox game is just a copy.

This is like asking "are all metal bands just rip offs of Black Sabbath?"

Banned, now stay the f*ck out

No not at all. All sandbox games are different In there own way.

universetwisters
Original? Well in terms of gameplay..not really. Plenty of stuff there lifted straight from GTA. Lots of nice extra features that could easily find their way into future GTAs, but at its core, its still looks GTA. At least you're not trying to hide that fact by trying to set it in the GTA universe. Good luck with it icon14.gif

yea, thats kinda the thing. I'm trying to get it published by rockstar (not as a GTA game, but set in the same universe, with liberty city, sprunk, etc.), but what makes it unoriginal?

sTgL5iS.png

Arsen Vitiuk
what makes it unoriginal?

People who think it's unoriginal.

Really, I wouldn't take no crap from all those people that say: "This game is a GTA rip-off!" If they're so smart, why won't they make a non-rip-off game themselves?

Harwood Butch3r
Its depends on what game you are based...

True crime Streets of LA is a COPY of gta III , just look the protagonist...

But Driver series isnt a copy because its games were released before gta takes his own sucess.

Excuse me, but how the hell is True Crime: Streets of L.A a rip off of GTA III? I mean really? For one thing you play as an undercover cop, and the protagonists of both games look nothing a like. confused.gif

As for the question no. A lot of people think it was GTA that started the sandbox genre, and it's not true. GTA revolutionized it with GTA III, but the genre itself had been around a while before GTA hit the scene.

There are a lot of sandbox games that have gone in a completely different direction .Take the Assassin's Creed series for example. The only thing it has in common with GTA is that you can explore 3D environments, and complete tasks at your own leisure. That's where the similarities stop.

Others are probably a bit more blatant (Saints Row for example), but even then I wouldn't say they're "GTA copies".

Each, and every sandbox game I've ever played has its own unique charm. I've never played one, and felt like I was playing a direct GTA rip off.

No, because then we would have to consider games like legend of zelda to be a ripoff, there is GTA ripoffs but not as many as people think, and I think that a majority of GTA's fanbase (no personal offense) jump the gun when they hear the word "sandbox" some people think that crackdown rips off GTA........yep, the irony runs thick with this one.

HipHopHeadSeb

it depends....

for instance, u cant say just because you steal cars in a game that its a GTA rip off. because stealings cars is just an everyday fact of life, cars get stolen in every country every day for any number of reasons.

same with shooting people.

same with being a gangster or part of organised crime

but there are some things u could do that would be ripping off GTA. i cant think of that now i might come back and edit this if i do think of sh*t.

King Mystery

Not at all. There are a multitude of other sandbox games, and many of them aren't even close to being a knockoff of GTA.

xgtamontariox
No, of course not!

In some games the idea may be similar to GTA but that doesn't make it a rip-off! No way!

All games have the right to exist. And people who call one game a rip-off of another one are either jealous or not far-sighted.

So go on with making your game. And good luck in it! icon14.gif

^This, to add on to this, there were a few sandbox gsmes which were made long before the first GTA, they were just not successful. lol.gif