I have a problem. I 'll change my pc. And My Pc will be like that:

Mainboard: AsRock 775Dual-VSTA

INTEL Core2 Duo E6700 2,66 Ghz 4 MB Cache

Kingston 2 GB DDR Ram

SATA2 160 GB HDD

ATI HD 3850 GDDR3 256 Bit graphic card

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit.

My questions:

1) Can i run GTAIV on medium/high settings?

2) What is your opinions about this system?

Thanks a lot.

*I am sorry, if my english is bad.

Edited by THuNDeRBoLTDark

What about the graphics card? If you dont have one, it wont work.

I had a similar system with a 9500 GT graphics card and it ran on Low with 20FPS.

Yl8KS.jpg

THuNDeRBoLTDark

I am sorry biggrin.gif

Graphic Card: ATI HD 3850

I had a similar system with a 9500 GT graphics card and it ran on Low with 20FPS.

Just a friendly heads up, He said it in his first post-ATI HD 3850 -here-

-from the first post. You must have skipped over that one. lol.giftounge2.gif

But OT...It may run, but NOT at Medium/High-ONLY LOW, as 256MB is definately not enough to run at Med/High. Make sure ALL your drivers are up to date for the Video card, Sound card, DX, etc. first.

YankeesPwnMets

But OT...It may run, but NOT at Medium/High-ONLY LOW, as 256MB is definately not enough to run at Med/High. Make sure ALL your drivers are up to date for the Video card, Sound card, DX, etc. first.

The original post was edited at 11:58. goin god asked at 11:54.

Anyways, no your not gonna run medium high on that. Also, getting a new PC entirely will be a better value for your dollars.

Gta4Freak-2011

It will run on that card on high on patch 4 because i have the rebranded version, the CPU is a different story.

THuNDeRBoLTDark

256 MB? My graphic card is hd 3850 and 512 Mb and also GDDR3, 256 Bit.

Oh, i don't understand anything.. ,

Someone said that i could run on medium/high , but someone said that i couldn't.

OK, I am re-asking.

Can i run GTA IV on medium?

why a core 2 duo and not an I3/5 even a low end I3/5 would be cheaper and geta GTX 460 as there selling in some places for uder $300, unless u have a budget of $500 i would go witha I3/5 and a better GPU than the AtI 3*** series as there several years old now.

you can easly get a system with

I3/5/7 CPU

GTX460 or ATi Equivalant

6gb DDR3 ram for $200

Adecent MOBO that is better than the AsRock brand

all for under $1500, if ya look in the right places

also why get a 160gb HDD when 2TB Externals sell for under$120, u just have to take it out of the external

case and put in PC case.

THuNDeRBoLTDark

thank you for advise. Anyway, can i run gta 4 on medium ?

balmung123

i think you can run it on medium just try lowering shadows since shadows is a memory hogger

256 MB? My graphic card is hd 3850 and 512 Mb and also GDDR3, 256 Bit.

Oh, i don't understand anything.. ,

Someone said that i could run on medium/high , but someone said that i couldn't.

OK, I am re-asking.

Can i run GTA IV on medium?

That would have been useful information you should have put in your first post-about the vram, don't ya think?-I mean all you put was 256-since there was no other info at the time, it was assumed that the 256 was the vram.

But, you only have 2GB Ram(DDR at that-that is slower than DDR2 and DDR3 ram), That is not really enough for gaming, as the Minimum Ram for 7 is 2GB and since Windows 7 uses between 900MB and 1.2GB of Ram for the OS itself(confirmed on 7 Home Premium), that would not leave enough for the game to Run.

Kingston 2 GB DDR Ram

Plus, Since a Intel I5 Quad and a Higher video card than yours stuggles to maintain decent fps at minimum, I highly doubt that a Core 2 Duo(Dual core) will be any better. You can probably only run it on LOW settings unless you upgrade your PC. To back up that statement:

I have an Intel Core I5 Quad Core @ 2.27 GHZ base (up to 2.93GHZ with Turbo Boost)

6GB DDR3 RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5470 w/512MB Dedicated Vram DDR3 and up to 3223MB total vram

640GB HD

7 Home Premium 64-bit OS

And the game struggles to maintain a decent fps at minimum-looks great at Low, though-lol tounge2.gif Since a higher end PC struggles, what makes you think you can run a lower end PC at Medium settings? confused.gif More proof, According to This site, that card is known to struggle on newer games at higher settings. Also, it is a DX 10 card-mine is a DX 11 card. It says on mine-the sticker that comes on the PC- "ATI Radeon Premium Graphics with Microsoft DirectX11. And according to that site, your video card was reviewed in 2007, as a Mid-range card, so, by today's standards, that would be considered a Low Range card, since 4 years has passed, and newer cards have come out. Just a few friendly heads up/my 2 cents.

Also, just curious, What's wrong with Running the game on LOW anyway, I mean the game still looks darn good and there is little difference in the way the game looks between Low and Medium settings. I have always been curious why people are so insistant on running the game on High settings when Low looks just as good, if not better, and has better performance? confused.gif

Edited by radioman

I have an Intel Core I5 Quad Core @ 2.27 GHZ base (up to 2.93GHZ with Turbo Boost)

6GB DDR3 RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5470 w/512MB Dedicated Vram DDR3 and up to 3223MB total vram

640GB HD

7 Home Premium 64-bit OS

Jesus Christ, that graphics card is terrible for such a good system.

The 54XX series cards are not really gaming cards and getting a better one will result in playing at near-max graphics.

Edit: Ninja'd by Garfield 2 tounge2.gif

THuNDeRBoLTDark

Radioman, my graphic card is agp. and it is GDDR3 ,512 MB, DX11. Also it is very strong. I played crysis 2 on high settings with that. New card ---> money.

Thanks for advises.

i changed my ram. It will be 2 GB DDR2

YankeesPwnMets

Radioman, my graphic card is agp. and it is GDDR3 ,512 MB, DX11. Also it is very strong. I played crysis 2 on high settings with that. New card ---> money.

Thanks for advises.

i changed my ram. It will be 2 GB DDR2

@Radiman: A laptop i5 is a lot WEAKER then a desktop i5. A 5470 isn't all that great; in fact, it's a entry level to mainstream graphics card. Stop bullsh*tting people. And yes, a Core 2 Duo can run GTA IV at medium with a decent enough graphics card. Also, whether your card is DX 10 or DX 11 does not matter because GTA IV is a DirectX 9.0C game, smart one.

Anyways, a Radeon 3850 doesn't support DX 11. Only cards made after the Radeon 5870 and 5850 support DX11. The 3850 was made YEARS before Windows 7 came out and before those two fifth generation cards came out. Your card is 3rd generation. I would advise a new PC which will be a better bang for your buck then trying to upgrade your old machine. A Intel Core i5 2300 with something like a Radeon 5850 will be good enough to run this game on high settings.

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

3850 is only a little bit below a 8800gt (which plays gtaIV on medium no problems) iirc. @original poster, update all your drivers and all the patches, defrag your hard drive if necessary (which i doubt). actually, i must confess i haven't read all of the thread. i have to log off. but i think your main problem may not be enough cooling or a raggedy power supply

A laptop i5 is a lot WEAKER then a desktop i5

Can you please explain how a laptop processor is weaker than a desktop processor? Just curious, as it would seem the exact opposite, as my laptop is like 3 times more powerful and faster than my desktop is...Heck my laptop even boots up faster than my desktop. Also, my laptop has A LOT better performance on games than my desktop does... confused.gif

Also, whether your card is DX 10 or DX 11 does not matter because GTA IV is a DirectX 9.0C game, smart one.

Also, I never did say it mattered what DX # you have-I only said that the OP had a DX 10 card, not a DX 11 one-I mentioned mine having a DX11 card as an example that the OP's card was too old to be a DX11 one. Please read the post throughly before quoting me, as I made no mention as to what DX version the game was OR what the game plays best on...Just a friendly heads up.... tounge2.gif

Can you please explain how a laptop processor is weaker than a desktop processor? Just curious, as it would seem the exact opposite, as my laptop is like 3 times more powerful and faster than my desktop is...Heck my laptop even boots up faster than my desktop. Also, my laptop has A LOT better performance on games than my desktop does... confused.gif

Also, whether your card is DX 10 or DX 11 does not matter because GTA IV is a DirectX 9.0C game, smart one.

Also, I never did say it mattered what DX # you have-I only said that the OP had a DX 10 card, not a DX 11 one-I mentioned mine having a DX11 card as an example that the OP's card was too old to be a DX11 one. Please read the post throughly before quoting me, as I made no mention as to what DX version the game was OR what the game plays best on...Just a friendly heads up.... tounge2.gif

Laptops HW are different from desktops. Laptops will still use the same model # but it is typically weaker. Take a laptop with a 5870M for example. These are not true 5870s, in fact they are closer to a 5770. Still not a bad card but not what they lead you to believe either.

As for the comment about your desktop. This is impossible for us to know why your laptop is faster. Maybe it's newer, the HW is better, cleaner install of windows, etc..

To the OP.. what resolution do you game at? When GTA 4 was first released I played the game fairly well at 1024x768 with an Athlon x2 @ 2.4 and an 8800GT. The Core 2 Quad will work at low resolution and low settings. The video card is older but might play the game ok as well. When I say "ok" I mean fps of 20-30.

YankeesPwnMets

Yeah, of course your i5 would be faster if you still had a POS desktop processor like a single core Celeron. A DESKTOP version of the CORE I5 is stronger then the laptop version of the i5. You read that part? A i5 750 is stronger then i5 mobile CPU, and I'm pretty sure that is the same with the dual core i5 on the desktop as well.

Garfield 2

The only Intel Quad mobile processors are the ones that have QM in the name. No i5s, just i7s.

The only Intel Quad mobile processors are the ones that have QM in the name. No i5s, just i7s.

Are you sure about that? Here is a screen shot that proves I have an I5 Quad core on my laptop...Here is a screenie of my DXDIAG page... Notice how it says "4 CPUs" after the processor....Just a friendly heads up that there are Mobile I5's that are Quad cores.... tounge2.giflol.gif

Garfield 2

Intel® Core™ i5-430M Processor

(3M Cache, 2.26 GHz)

Status

Launched

Launch Date

Q1'10

Processor Number

i5-430M

# of Cores

# of Threads

Clock Speed

2.26 GHz

Max Turbo Frequency

2.53 GHz

The only reason it shows "4 CPUs" is that it has 4 Threads.

YankeesPwnMets

i5 430M is a dual core. Hyperthreading shows four cores, but physical cores are much better.

*facepalm*

THuNDeRBoLTDark

i changed my opinion.

I will buy new cpu.

Note: I won't change my graphic card. I asked this graphic card problem to my neighbour, he is pc engineer, and he knows all system probs. He said that

I could play GTA IV on high settings with that system:

Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 2,4 Ghz

ATI HD 3850 ( this card's particularity is in 1st page)

Kingston 2 GB 667 Bus speed DDR2 Ram

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit

i5 430M is a dual core. Hyperthreading shows four cores, but physical cores are much better.

*facepalm*

Just one question then, cause i'm a little confused here-If the I5 is a Dual Core processor, then why is it that on my XP Pro laptop, that has a Dual Core, it actually says "2 CPU's" and yet on this laptop it says "4 CPU's" Single core laptops, as seen here, on my old XP Home laptop, say nothing about cores? Just curious, as I am still learning about computers-I never had a computer until 2005, so I am still new to the technical stuff about them. confused.gif It would seem to me though, that if it was a Dual core, it would say "2 CPU's" as it does in the screenie above, AND also it says the same thing on my Desktop which is a AMD Athlon X2 64 Dual Core.? confused.gif

Because for Windows, threads are cores. technically speaking, your i5 has two physical cores, but four logical cores (threads).

74cXSsx.png

Garfield 2
i changed my opinion.

I will buy new cpu.

Note: I won't change my graphic card. I asked this graphic card problem to my neighbour, he is pc engineer, and he knows all system probs. He said that

I could play GTA IV on high settings with that system:

Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 2,4 Ghz

ATI HD 3850 ( this card's particularity is in 1st page)

Kingston 2 GB 667 Bus speed DDR2 Ram

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit

Buy a new computer. You will NOT play on high.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.2GHz

4GB DDR2 RAM 800MHz

NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT by MSI OC

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 (60 Hz)

Texture Quality: Medium

Reflection Resolution: Very High

Water Quality: Very High

Shadow Quality: Medium

Night Shadows: Off

Anisotropic Filtering: 16x

View Distance: 21

Detail Distance: 11

Vehicle Density: 33

Average FPS:

Min: 19

Max: 33

Avg: 24

Much better spec and didn't play in high details.

YankeesPwnMets

A new computer will be better then upgrading those parts one by one. What country you live in? Your bearing the United States flag in your profile, so my guess is you live in the US, but this is just a guess.

@Radioman: Intel's hyperthreading technology gives you threads that are double the amount of cores you have. For example, a Pentium 4 Hyperthreaded Edition was a single core, but had 2 threads. That would show up as two cores in Windows. The Core i7 970 is six cores, but would show up as 12 cores in Windows with hyperthreading on. A Core i7 2600 has four cores but will show up with 8 cores in Windows. A Core i3 Dual core will show with 4 cores in Windows.

# of Cores x 2 = Threads

1 core x 2 = 2 Threads

2 cores x 2 = 4 threads

4 cores x 2 = 8 threads

6 cores x 2 = 12 threads

8 cores (certain Intel Xeons) x 2 = 16 threads

AMD CPUs don't support hyperthreading (since the technology was made by Intel), so if your AMD has 6 cores like a X6, then it would show up as 6 cores in Windows. Same with the other AMD CPUs. Dual cores will show up with two cores in Windows, Quad will show up as four cores.

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

but the reflection resolution and water detail are set to very high. the reason elfc ran like such a dog on on my q6600 + gtx 285 was because of the water bug

AMD CPUs don't support hyperthreading (since the technology was made by Intel), so if your AMD has 6 cores like a X6, then it would show up as 6 cores in Windows. Same with the other AMD CPUs. Dual cores will show up with two cores in Windows, Quad will show up as four cores.

In addition, upcoming AMD CPUs (FX/Bulldozer) will have something like Hyper Threading. For example, 8 core FX CPU will consist from four modules, two cores each. In each module cores share thing like cache, etc... That way, one core is faster while the other is slower. Thus, 8 core CPU has 4 fast cores and 4 slower cores (which is kinda like HT, where additional threads are also slower) - but they are all physical.

74cXSsx.png