what hardware is holding me back?!?!

topeira

hi everyone. tried to solve this issue but assumed it was my GPU's fault. now i know it isnt.

when i played this game on

Q6600 2.4ghz

2GB ram on two sticks

HD4870 512mb

windows XP

i had nice performance of about 25-30 fps. no problems.

on my new rig

Q6600 at 2.4ghz

4GB ram on one stick

HD6870 1gb

windows 7

im getting 10~12 fps. yeah. a LOT less.

first i upgraded everything but the GPU and had these poor results. just yesterday i bought a new GPU and the performances is the same.

i thought it might be the CPU (since the GPU is way more than enough) but the game DID run well on the same CPu as before on winXP.

something is holding me back and i have no clue whatsoever what this could mean!

once i step out to the streets the FPS turns from 50 to 10 in about 2 seconds. no matter what im looking at, the game crawls.

i desperately need advices because i am having crappy fps on Fable 3 and Brink as well.... the witcher 2, however, is running pretty ok.

but a lot of games i own (shift 2, flashpoint red river, AC:brotherhood) did not recieve the boost in FPS i thought they would from the new GPU.

something is holding me back. i think others with the same CPU are getting much better performances than me.

any ideas?

Edited by topeira

The 6870 is faster than the 4870 and so the CPU would be holding it back more.

Try overclocking your CPU.

Your drivers are up to date right?

Try uninstalling your drivers through Add/Remove Programs, then run Driver Sweeper and clean out ATi Display. Restart your PC and install the latest drivers.

Edited by Warlord.
FIOszpJ.gif

4Gb on one stick of ram means dual channel ddr is not being used. You need a matched pair for ddr2 to be implemented.

Ignore the above advice. I got more frames per second than that on an E4500 w/ Win XP, 2GB RAM and a 9800GT. The RAM advice is good, but it's not going to be your major bottleneck.

You've got an issue somewhere as you're having issues with other games. Is it just the three you mentioned, or are there others? Try as many recent and high spec games as you can, even if you have to download a few demos. Oh, have you changed PSU since upgrading your hardware? What PSU do you have, just out of curiosity?

Make sure:

Your drivers are up to date, especially for your graphics card. Did you install them from the disc that came with the card (Bad idea), or did you download the most recent ones from online?

That your hardware is properly recognised by Win 7.

If getting your drivers up to date doesn't help, try the previous release. Sometimes going back one or two releases helps.

That your hardware is properly set up in your case - i.e. all connections are secure and correct.

That all games are fully patched, unmodded, etc.

That all software, such as DirectX, is up to date.

YankeesPwnMets
no driver update aint gonna fix a CPU bottleneck dozingoff.gif

It could relieve the bottleneck. Updated drivers can improve performance.

a quad core is a bottleneck? there are people maxxing and getting 38+ on stock clocks with that CPU..

sounds like a software issue like CP texture or FSAA config, maybe driver. Dual-Link on the RAM won't kill that much. Also kill as much software and services as possible, maybe use game booster.

Gta4Freak-2011
a quad core is a bottleneck? there are people maxxing and getting 38+ on stock clocks with that CPU..

sounds like a software issue like CP texture or FSAA config, maybe driver. Dual-Link on the RAM won't kill that much. Also kill as much software and services as possible, maybe use game booster.

I have the same CPU its ok but dont even think of running a high-end GPU with it or it wont even POST.

I have the same CPU its ok but dont even think of running a high-end GPU with it or it wont even POST.

Won't even post? How is that an issue with the CPU?

I've seen them ran with a 580 and 6xxx and no problems at all. Also people seem to forget that SLI 580 and sandy bridge i7 liquid cooled rigs are only getting 65 FPS with this game, anything over late 20s in higher res is good..

Edited by diablo440

That's a load of doo doo.

If i set my Q9650 at stock, which is 3GHz with maxed settings, 7 patch 1200p resolution and traffic at 1 i average 15 FPS vs mid 50s with 4.1ghz OC.

NO ONE gets constant 35FPS with 2.4ghz Q6600, that's a made up, unrealistic statistic and you know it.

"Dual-Link on the RAM"

Dual channel, stop using non proper terminology which will confuse people.

Bernard Jazz
NO ONE gets constant 35FPS with 2.4ghz Q6600, that's a made up, unrealistic statistic and you know it.

Actually, I near as damn do. Average FPS is 35 with very rare dips below 30.

I have the exact same system as the OP except I have a GTS 250. I'd be happy to provide fraps'd benchmarks if you want?

Actually, I near as damn do. Average FPS is 35 with very rare dips below 30.

I have the exact same system as the OP except I have a GTS 250. I'd be happy to provide fraps'd benchmarks if you want?

"maxxing"

Also, benchmarks are rubbish way to measure the performance.

I'm pretty sure at max settings along with high resolution your game will run quite poorly.

Gta4Freak-2011

Won't even post? How is that an issue with the CPU?

I've seen them ran with a 580 and 6xxx and no problems at all. Also people seem to forget that SLI 580 and sandy bridge i7 liquid cooled rigs are only getting 65 FPS with this game, anything over late 20s in higher res is good.

You need to do your research on CPU's anyone running a 580 on the first Intel C2Q is stupid.

Edited by Gta4Freak-2011

YankeesPwnMets

The benchmark in GTA 4 is pathetic. It gives you 65 FPS as an average, your probably not gonna get more then 40 in-game.

Though I do admit a 580 and and a C2Q is preposterous.

why would it be? my main gta IV box has q6600 G0 with gtx 285, playing 1920x1200. gtx 560 is only a bit above that

lets not fight over me here, boys smile.gif

ok, i have a lot to say about all the things u suggested here.

1) the only games that are giving me issues is Fable 3, brink and GTAIV. the witcher 2 and crysis 2 are smooth as butter. (around 30-40fps)

2) i have latest drivers for the GPU and tried older ones. i dont think it's the GPU holding me back since i can run on 15fps on high settings or low settings. ENB on or ENB off gives me approx the same fps. give or take 2 fps. nothing crucial. i think it's not the GPU's drivers....

3) i am thinking about getting abother mem stick but i dont want to be disappointed when i install it and it doesnt help.

4) i need to stress this again - i used to run the game on decent fps (25-30) on this very same CPU before i switched mobo, ram, OS and gpu! how can it be the CPU bottlenecking me if i already ran the game fine with it!?

5) i tried OCing my processor but then i need to slow down the memory multiplier and i think i might be having memory issues so this might make things worse :\

in 3Dmark's benchmark after changing the CPU's speed UP to 3GHZ and setting memory multipluer from X3.0 to X2.0 i got worse results.

(i dont know much about OCing so i dont really know how to improve things with OC. i thought about changing the cpu multiplier to lower (X7 or X8) but tried that and it didnt do good. probably messed up the memory multiplier. i dont know much about OCing).

6) my PSU is an Antec 550. i dont think i need more power from it. and since i have no special cooling devices i think i shouldnt change anything about the PSU.

watcha think?

Edited by topeira

Gta4Freak-2011

gtx 460=gtx 285 gtx 560=close to a 470 but with a 1 ghz overclock it beats it.

i think you should take a picture of your computer's insides, since you were ocing before. that or run speedfan/cpuid/coretemp and post the readings upon idle and load

One reason I usually try to avoid this section is because all the trolls. People fail at system maintenance and configuration and assume it's the hardware because they're too talented suicidal.gif

examples:

• 3Ghz/12MB 45nm quad and high-end card 15FPS at max WUXGA with max settings except traffic(duhhh..ya think?)
  • Quad Core penryn and high-end card not sufficient(me stupid..must buy more stuff)
  • Penryn based system supplemented with new fast card "stupid"(someone's stupid but it's not the person conserving and getting practical results..)
I think some people here also are oblivious to the fact that a lot of people don't have parents flipping the bill..some of us have girlfriends and a life, we have to think and don't have parents supporting us when we spend 1k on hardware and can't pay rent cool.gif Edited by diablo440

One reason I usually try to avoid this section is because all the trolls. People fail at system maintenance and configuration and assume it's the hardware because they're too talented  suicidal.gif

examples:

3Ghz/12MB 45nm quad and high-end card 15FPS at max WUXGA with max settings except traffic(duhhh..ya think?)

Quad Core penryn and high-end card not sufficient(me stupid..must buy more stuff)

Penryn based system supplemented with new fast card "stupid"(someone's stupid but it's not the person conserving and getting practical results..)

I think some people here also are oblivious to the fact that a lot of people don't have parents flipping the bill..some of us have girlfriends and a life, we have to think and don't have parents supporting us when we spend 1k on hardware and can't pay rent  cool.gif

You, internet tough guy. f*ck off.

You explicitly come here once blabbing about some bullsh*t that had NOTHING to do with the topic, using fancy terminology like "WUXGA" when you could just say 1200p and much more people will understand you. Not to mention the bragging how cool you are, how you code "bus drivers" and how you have a life and a girlfriend. Fun fact; people who brag about their lives on the internet and using material possessions as an example are the ones who do not have any of it at all (you.)

You said you would not ever come back to this forum section again in the last topic you totally derailed and sh*tted up, why do you come here and continue making sh*tty, insightful posts.

"People fail at system maintenance and configuration and assume it's the hardware because they're too talented " - god dammit, if you going to insult me and others, do it right.

"I think some people here also are oblivious to the fact that a lot of people don't have parents flipping the bill." - In your case, its the other way around. If you truly had a job, you would not be cruising and making dumb claims that you can run at decent settings (lie) and not have problems on that piece of sh*t GTS 250 and 4 year old dual core. You would actually be able to afford reasonable hardware.

"some of us have girlfriends and a life, we have to think and don't have parents supporting us when we spend 1k on hardware and can't pay rent" - OH U

"3Ghz/12MB 45nm quad and high-end card 15FPS at max WUXGA with max settings except traffic(duhhh..ya think?)

Quad Core penryn and high-end card not sufficient(me stupid..must buy more stuff)

Penryn based system supplemented with new fast card "stupid"(someone's stupid but it's not the person conserving and getting practical results..)"

This is a good example of you blabbing about something that is insightful and has nothing related to the topic.

Edited by JigglyAss

One reason I usually try to avoid this section is because all the trolls. People fail at system maintenance and configuration and assume it's the hardware because they're too talented  suicidal.gif

examples:

3Ghz/12MB 45nm quad and high-end card 15FPS at max WUXGA with max settings except traffic(duhhh..ya think?)

Penryn based system supplemented with new fast card "stupid"(someone's stupid but it's not the person conserving and getting practical results..)

I think some people here also are oblivious to the fact that a lot of people don't have parents flipping the bill..some of us have girlfriends and a life, we have to think and don't have parents supporting us when we spend 1k on hardware and can't pay rent  cool.gif

You explicitly come here once blabbing about some bullsh*t that had NOTHING to do with the topic, using fancy terminology like "WUXGA" when you could just say 1200p and much more people will understand you. Not to mention the bragging how cool you are, how you code "bus drivers" and how you have a life and a girlfriend. Fun fact; people who brag about their lives on the internet and using material possessions as an example are the ones who do not have any of it at all (you.)

You said you would not ever come back to this forum section again in the last topic you totally derailed and sh*tted up, why do you come here and continue making sh*tty, insightful posts.

"People fail at system maintenance and configuration and assume it's the hardware because they're too talented " - god dammit, if you going to insult me and others, do it right.

"I think some people here also are oblivious to the fact that a lot of people don't have parents flipping the bill." - In your case, its the other way around. If you truly had a job, you would not be cruising and making dumb claims that you can run at decent settings (lie) and not have problems on that piece of sh*t GTS 250 and 4 year old dual core. You would actually be able to afford reasonable hardware.

"some of us have girlfriends and a life, we have to think and don't have parents supporting us when we spend 1k on hardware and can't pay rent" - OH U

"3Ghz/12MB 45nm quad and high-end card 15FPS at max WUXGA with max settings except traffic(duhhh..ya think?)

Penryn based system supplemented with new fast card "stupid"(someone's stupid but it's not the person conserving and getting practical results..)"

This is a good example of you blabbing about something that is insightful and has nothing related to the topic.

Just thought I'd bring some common sense to the section ^^

"tough guy"? I'm the minority defending the minority, you're the kiddy troll which is the majority here, take your own advice..

oh and thanks for bragging about the other thread you and your friends trolled to death after calling me a "tough guy"..that makes all kinds of sense..

examples:

Just thought I'd bring some common sense to the section ^^

"tough guy"? I'm the minority defending the minority, you're the kiddy troll which is the majority here, take your own advice..

oh and thanks for bragging about the other thread you and your friends trolled to death after calling me a "tough guy"..that makes all kinds of sense..

Minority of what? Retards displaying untrue possessions and claims?

Dohohoh. So back up, when me and my so called "friends" provide valid points and reasonable resolutions to an issue, we are trolling?

"Just thought I'd bring some common sense to the section ^^"

Cant believe you used "common sense" and "Id" in the same sentence.

You should be fined and jailed for that.

@ ALL of you, this is unnecessary. let's get back to doing what we post in this forum for, HELPING PEOPLE PLAY GTA IV. thanking you in advance smile.gif

Dohohoh. So back up, when me and my so called "friends" provide valid points and reasonable resolutions to an issue, we are trolling?

I can't believe you didn't see the apostrophe in the quote you used. Troll+Grammar+Geek fail.

Besides all the C2Q benchmarks posted here, here is a simple gameplay video demonstrating that it is more than sufficient for GTA. It's getting only ~15FPS less than a liquid cooled 2x580 sandy bridge rig.

@ ALL of you, this is unnecessary. let's get back to doing what we post in this forum for, HELPING PEOPLE PLAY GTA IV. thanking you in advance smile.gif

This is the reality of this section. Sadly this isn't uncommon with this guy and his friends here, a lot of people have been banned for responding to their attacks. I'm wrong not because of technical reasons, but because I suggest something different. Staff obviously banned the wrong people..

@diablo440

Just saying, but the Q9550 is actually a pretty good processor if you ask me.

No wonder that it runs fine (in combination with a decent graphics card & maybe commandline).

It'll run even better if you overclock to 3.5 Ghz or more wink.gif

Edited by Exxon

I can't believe you didn't see the apostrophe in the quote you used. Troll+Grammar+Geek fail.

Besides all the C2Q benchmarks posted here, here is a simple gameplay video demonstrating that it is more than sufficient for GTA. It's getting only ~15FPS less than a liquid cooled 2x580 sandy bridge rig.

This is the reality of this section. Sadly this isn't uncommon with this guy and his friends here, a lot of people have been banned for responding to their attacks. I'm wrong not because of technical reasons, but because I suggest something different. Staff obviously banned the wrong people..

>Not maxed out

>Draw distance not maxed out

>Resolution not maxed out

>Shadows, reflection not maxed out.

>No FPS counter in the video.

>NOT patch 7 shadows.

"It's getting only ~15FPS less than a liquid cooled 2x580 sandy bridge rig."

[Citation Required]

"I can't believe you didn't see the apostrophe in the quote you used. Troll+Grammar+Geek fail."

Coll story, minority.

"This is the reality of this section. Sadly this isn't uncommon with this guy and his friends here, a lot of people have been banned for responding to their attacks. I'm wrong not because of technical reasons, but because I suggest something different. Staff obviously banned the wrong people.."

The ones who get banned are tools like you, spreading false information and constantly bragging about their bus drivers and girlfriends, claiming like they are better than anyone.

You cant even post a proper video to shut me up, what "maxed out" part don't you understand?

>Not maxed out

>NOT patch 7 shadows.

[Citation Required]

"I can't believe you didn't see the apostrophe in the quote you used. Troll+Grammar+Geek fail."

Coll story, minority.

"This is the reality of this section. Sadly this isn't uncommon with this guy and his friends here, a lot of people have been banned for responding to their attacks. I'm wrong not because of technical reasons, but because I suggest something different. Staff obviously banned the wrong people.."

The ones who get banned are tools like you, spreading false information and constantly bragging about their bus drivers and girlfriends, claiming like they are better than anyone.

You cant even post a proper video to shut me up, what "maxed out" part don't you understand?

The things I've said are logical and helpful. You basically breached entry into the thread and started troll bombing it like with all the others. I'm sure other people who do what you do agree with you though..

C2D setup *maxxed*..on a 128bit card..15FPS

Also I do have a girlfriend, but don't take a bus, you should drop the loser attitude and maybe people will take you for more than some slob trolling forums..

@Exxon: yeah, 4 hardware threads and a 12MB L2 is gotta be better than 2 with HT and a small L2 with big L3. L3 is slower, but they compensate with new logic.

Edited by diablo440

>Not maxed out

>NOT patch 7 shadows.

[Citation Required]

Coll story, minority.

The things I've said are logical and helpful. You basically breached entry into the thread and started troll bombing it like with all the others. I'm sure other people who do what you do agree with you though..

C2D setup *maxxed*..on a 128bit card..15FPS

Also I do have a girlfriend, but don't take a bus, you should drop the loser attitude and maybe people will take you for more than some slob trolling forums..

@Exxon: yeah, 4 hardware threads and a 12MB L2 is gotta be better than 2 with HT and a small L2 with big L3. L3 is slower, but they compensate with new logic.

That video does not prove your point.

"Also I do have a girlfriend, but don't take a bus,"

Oh boy, here we go again.

"you should drop the loser attitude and maybe people will take you for more than some slob trolling forums.."

Hold on, "people"?

You and what people? Got a mice in your purse?

In the mean time, il wait for your "It's getting only ~15FPS less than a liquid cooled 2x580 sandy bridge rig" citation.

Edited by JigglyAss