Is the computer infected by some virus?

Flesh-n-Bone

Flesh-n-Bone

So yesterday I randomly searched something and clicked on a pic on google, it led to some site that I guess was virus infected (it was loading java or something automatically and I tried to get out as soon as I could). After exiting that, I went to task manager and found a bunch of new, strangely named stuff running there and closed them all with the quickness. Unsure about what happened, I decided to restart only to see the desktop background turn simply black and all icons disappear from it in addition to being unable to right click on it. Task manager was disabled and I removed that by going to regedit. The many random processes were no longer running. I tried system restore (on safe mode) but there is no restore points which I can go back to. I installed MBAM (Malwarebytes' anti-malware) and now avast! and have let them both scan the computer for virus infected files. Many were discovered and have been removed. Since then, the background has changed colors from black to blue (which it was for a moment before going black) but that seems to be about it regarding changes. Using the 'start' shortcut leads only to the places that automatically exist like "My Computer" and etc but none of the programs beside the two anti-virus ones I've installed since yesterday and I can't access them on the desktop either. Discs D and F are completely empty even though the amount of used up GB's remains the same which tells me the files are not removed from these discs but E and C remain the same.

Anybody have an idea what this is and how do I get rid of it to go back to normal? Is my only option a reformat or anti-virus softwares can get the job done?

Thanks for your replies.

Why you didn't have an antivirus installed in the first place is a good question you should be asking yourself.

What browser were you using, and what version?

If Avast or AntiVir can't get rid it fixed then just back up what you can and start fresh, only this time before you install ANYTHING install an antivirus and of course make sure the OS up to date with it's patches.

Flesh-n-Bone

Good question and my answer is that I need a better RAM as my computer was getting slow when I had activated Kaspersky and I am often 'safe' and last time I had a virus in the computer must have been 4 years ago.

I always use Firefox and currently the latest version of it. I guess a reformat is only way to go, I've needed a fresh start for it anyways.