[Tut] Vice City Stories Inspired Backgrounds

ska

user posted image

AboutThis is basically a tutorial on some backgrounds I created for the Vice City Stories PC Edition mod, which are themselves inspired from the Vice City Stories website. It's a relatively simple tutorial, but the results are especially cool looking considering the number of possibilities. Anyway, enjoy.

Tools neededAdobe Photoshop (w/ general knowledge of Layer Styles, etc.)

Step 1Create a new document with any resolution/size. I'm using 640x360 for this example.

user posted image

Step 2Fill the background with a color that is slightly pale or off. Any color could work, but I'm using #509ee6 which is right in the range of color you'll need.

user posted image

Step 3Double-click the layer titled Background in the Layers panel, press Okay on the dialog that appears, and double-click the layer again to open up the Layer Style dialog.

Step 4Once in Layer Style, check off Gradient Overlay and then click it, choose Soft Light from the Blend Mode menu, turn the Opacity to 70%, drag the Angle to 135, and drag the Scale to 150%. Click OK and exit the dialog.

user posted image

Step 5Now with the Pen Tool, make several small abstract square shapes (keep them in slight relation to each other). Make sure at the same time that shape color is set to white, or #FFFFFF. Select all (or Ctrl+click) of the shape layers in the Layers menu, right-click, and then choose Merge Layers. The shapes should now be one unified layer.

user posted image

Step 6Now double-click on the on the merged shapes layer you've created, and the Layer Style dialog should pop up. In the main menu, drag the Fill Opacity slider down to 0%. Check off/click Gradient Overlay, choose Add from the Blend Mode drop-down list, slide the Opacity to 30% (or whatever looks best to you), choose Radial from the Style drop-down, set the Angle to 30%, and slide the Scale to 150%. This section really relies on what looks best to you, I'm only going by my own personal preference.

user posted image

And we're done!That's pretty much it! You can add text, noise, etc. or whatever you please to this. The end result can be whatever you desire. Here's the final product, as simple as it is:

user posted image

7FTgFLB.png

Narcis_speed6
Simple but awesome, nice job. icon14.gif

Really nice, I've actually always wondered how to do it smile.gif

Nice tutorial man, very simple and easy to follow.

Great job. icon14.gif

Rojo89? tounge.gif

tumblr_mk683ddOTs1rkv9cvo1_250.gif

Nice tutorial man, very simple and easy to follow.

Great job. icon14.gif

Rojo89? tounge.gif

Oh sh*t, they're on to me. ph34r.gif

Thanks for the comments and feedback, guys! Thought it was something that would definitely be cool as a tutorial, and I'm glad to see it's getting a good response. smile.gif

7FTgFLB.png