If GTA Was Censored....

BabeRuth

If GTA (All The GTA's including the GTA's for PSP & DS) were Censored would you still play them.?

It would be tough for me.

I don't see anything special in swearing, so yes I would.

I don't mean it like that I mean if it was rated either T for Teen or E+10 for Everyone 10 & ^ or rated E for everybody would you still play it.?

Kwandilibro

No. Last thing I need is a censored GTA. Kiss my ass, ESRB.

The console release of GTA IV was edited for Australia, but apparently that was because Rockstar, based on how past GTAs were censored in Australia, incorrectly assumed the unedited version would not pass and made edits without even submitting the uncut version. It turned out the censors would have passed the uncut version of IV.

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/australian-ce...-classification

LCollusions

You mean, no sex, no guns, no violence, no chases, then that wouldn't be GTA!

If GTA was censored, it would only last 10 minutes. Would I still play it? F*ck no.

user posted image

The console release of GTA IV was edited for Australia, but apparently that was because Rockstar, based on how past GTAs were censored in Australia, incorrectly assumed the unedited version would not pass and made edits without even submitting the uncut version. It turned out the censors would have passed the uncut version of IV.

well that sucks for Australia kinda I feel bad for em' sad.gif.

It would be so short, haha. Probably not, the whole gruesomeness and stuff is part of the game.

tumblr_mk683ddOTs1rkv9cvo1_250.gif

sonnyBlack

It would depend on how badly censored it is. If they just cut down on the blood or swearing I wouldn't mind, to an extent I'd even be a little relieved on the swearing. I'm not one of those types that get offended by foul language, I really just never liked hearing it in commercials and news casts on the radio.

It probably sounds odd hearing this since this is the GTA world, but cursing in ads always seemed out of place to me and I never saw much humor in it with the exception of some skits. But to be honest, I found it funnier when the bad words were actually censored, or covered up with a different word. Like in that one ad on the radio where the woman goes 'come over here and lick my-' and then it quickly cuts to a man saying 'banana breaaaad'. Even though it's obvious what she was going to say, I always found it funnier when it was up to my imagination to make the connection rather than it remaining uncensored.

As for the other thing I mentioned; reducing the gore, although I'd rather it stay I did notice in GTA IV when you shot someone in the head even with a shotgun, it didn't blow their head off. But it never bothered me that they removed that, I was able to keep playing without any issues with the change. I know removing blood would be a larger step back, but I still don't see it reducing my enjoyment of the game that much as long as I can still do everything else that comes standard with the series.

But just to clear something up, I have no problem with hearing foul language on the streets or in cutscenes. I just never cared for it on the radio or TV. And as for gore, I'm not suggesting they remove it either, I'm just sharing my thoughts on the subject.

Edit:

Crap I just noticed the third post. >_<

In that case if it were changed to a T rating I'd most likely be put off a bit if it meant toning down the violence too much. I'd probably end up just renting it or looking at vids of someone playing it first rather than immediately buy it like usual.

If it had an E rating I wouldn't even consider playing it since that'd mean it wouldn't have any of the wonderful things that make the series so great. Fortunately this will never happen to the game as it wouldn't even be GTA anymore with that rating.

Edited by sonnyBlack

AH64Hunter

If GTA Was Censored, It ruined and I'd have to fight Jack Thompson to the death.

kmlwin.1996

F*ck! No! I'll not play it. Instead of it, I'll play another uncensored game.

swearing: don't mind.

blood: of course I would. It would detract.

Arsen Vitiuk

Any GTA game wouldn't be as good as it is if it was censored. So my answer is NO!

It would depend on how badly censored it is. If they just cut down on the blood or swearing I wouldn't mind, to an extent I'd even be a little relieved on the swearing. I'm not one of those types that get offended by foul language, I really just never liked hearing it in commercials and news casts on the radio.

It probably sounds odd hearing this since this is the GTA world, but cursing in ads always seemed out of place to me and I never saw much humor in it with the exception of some skits. But to be honest, I found it funnier when the bad words were actually censored, or covered up with a different word. Like in that one ad on the radio where the woman goes 'come over here and lick my-' and then it quickly cuts to a man saying 'banana breaaaad'. Even though it's obvious what she was going to say, I always found it funnier when it was up to my imagination to make the connection rather than it remaining uncensored.

As for the other thing I mentioned; reducing the gore, although I'd rather it stay I did notice in GTA IV when you shot someone in the head even with a shotgun, it didn't blow their head off. But it never bothered me that they removed that, I was able to keep playing without any issues with the change. I know removing blood would be a larger step back, but I still don't see it reducing my enjoyment of the game that much as long as I can still do everything else that comes standard with the series.

But just to clear something up, I have no problem with hearing foul language on the streets or in cutscenes. I just never cared for it on the radio or TV. And as for gore, I'm not suggesting they remove it either, I'm just sharing my thoughts on the subject.

Edit:

Crap I just noticed the third post. >_<

In that case if it were changed to a T rating I'd most likely be put off a bit if it meant toning down the violence too much. I'd probably end up just renting it or looking at vids of someone playing it first rather than immediately buy it like usual.

If it had an E rating I wouldn't even consider playing it since that'd mean it wouldn't have any of the wonderful things that make the series so great. Fortunately this will never happen to the game as it wouldn't even be GTA anymore with that rating.

I kinda agree with you it would be kinda funny lol.

Harwood Butch3r

It depends on how much. If it was censored to the point of being child friendly it would be hard to shallow, but if some things were scaled back then it would be acceptable IMO.

Swearing? Too be honest I think the swearing especially in SA, and GTA IV is a bit overboard. GTA III, and VC don't have a great deal of swearing. I don't mind it, but hearing f**k, sh*t, even c*nt in almost every cut scene gets a bit old after a while. I liked the approach in VC.

Tommy only swore in certain situations, but in SA, and GTA IV it felt like it was way overused for the hell of it. So if any future GTAs have a reduction in swearing I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Blood & Gore? If blood was removed entirely I think it would make the game too soft.

Sexual references? Again like blood & gore reduction of sexual references would make the game feel soft.

If GTA V/Next was scaled back to a level similar to say Bully it wouldn't be too bad, but I like it the way it is atm. The only thing IMO that should get reduced is the amount of swearing. You can make a great story without profanities being used all the time.

@Miamivicecity

never played GTA IV(4) so never herd the word "C@nt"

but i've played SA & in what scene did CJ or another person said the word "C@nt".?

On this note, dose anyone know if those War with Australia jokes play on the aussie VC and SA? (And I think IV had a few to) I've always have wondered about that. (They play on WCTR, and in Ammunation on SA, and on VC they play on a few stations, and on IV I think Richard Bastion mentioned it once.)

Anyhow, I’d be pissed if it was censored, I mean I don’t find swearing super amazing, but it’d just take away from it a small bit, be in a car and instead of say Packie saying the f-bomb every other word it’d be a bleep or some other place holder. But as Miamivicecity said, the swearing in SA was a bit much, I didn’t think IV was to bad, then again I cuss like a sailor.

And if blood and gore where remove (not that it’s that gore filled in the first place) that’d take away from the whole crime feel and I’d make it to soft, I mean this is a crime game, where you get in frequent shootouts, people are gonna bleed.

Sexual references have been a part of GTA since the start, it’s like presents at Christmas you can’t change a tradition.

I might still play it, but I’d be mighty pissed over it, especially at first. Though I don’t see it happening.

In GTAIII, I don't think the word "f*ck" was used a single time. They even censored the Da Shootaz Joyride song on Lips 106, replacing the word "f*ck" with "Lips".

I don't think the word was used in Vice City either, or at least not a lot. Instead, "screw" and "prick" was used.

So yeah San Andreas is a pretty big exception.

Arsen Vitiuk
I don't think the word was used in Vice City either, or at least not a lot. Instead, "screw" and "prick" was used.

It was used some times like in the Intro and in "Spilling The Beans" but almost nowhere beyond that. San Andreas became a more folk-speeched game.

what about GTA IV(4) dude.? or have you played it.?

Yeah - I would play it even if it was censored (swearing and blood).

W3WQuU9.jpg

All the kids that surrounded me had superheroes - superman, spiderman etc. Paul was my superhero.

Damn you, Carrera GT.

It was used some times like in the Intro and in "Spilling The Beans" but almost nowhere beyond that. San Andreas became a more folk-speeched game.

It was never used in the introduction, "sh*t" was used a few times but nothing too excessive.

Arsen Vitiuk
It was never used in the introduction,

Really?

Tommy: Oh, sh*t! *Hops in Ken's car* Come on, f*ck, get us out of here! Drive!

Not even there. The exact line was "Go on, get out of here! Drive!"

You can check here if you want

Arsen Vitiuk

That's what the subtitles say. Listen to the audio itself. You'll hear the word 'f*ck' clearly.

I never understood why they let some words from the audio out of the subtitles. And this was in GTA:III, GTA VC, GTA SA, GTA LCS and GTA VCS.

bluesboyjr

never played GTA IV(4) so never herd the word "C@nt"

but i've played SA & in what scene did CJ or another person said the word "C@nt".?

Skip to around 4:30.

That's what the subtitles say. Listen to the audio itself. You'll hear the word 'f*ck' clearly.

I never understood why they let some words from the audio out of the subtitles. And this was in GTA:III, GTA VC, GTA SA, GTA LCS and GTA VCS.

I'm really not hearing it, but even if it's there, it's there in such a way that it's almost impossible to notice. My point remains, Rockstar was very careful with GTAIII and Vice City, and with GTA SA they went all the way to see how far they could go.