Sonic Boom, could it be possible?

XTREME0235

XTREME0235

Hello.

So today I was skimming through some of the topics that users have created and shared opinions about based on what they would like to see implemented into the next GTA game, feature wise.

I was thinking about something myself today actually.

We all know that light travels faster than sound and it is now possible to break the sound barrier.

Take the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird for example, although it was built and debuted to the Aviation industry in the late 1960s, it was one of the few aircraft that could achieve such things as breaking the sound barrier.

I was wondering if it would be possible for a sandbox game like GTA to have implemented such factors as light travelling faster than sound. If this was the case then what harm would it be getting inside a fighter jet (assuming R* implements planes into the next title) and flying at a rate faster than the speed of sound to get a visible sonic boom effect for not only yourself but anyone else on the ground looking at you flying by.

Would it be a good implementation or would it be completely useless?

What do you think?

Take a look at this video demonstrating the effects of a Sonic Boom pass.

Edited by XTREME0235

This could be FUN, they could try it, but I don't know how would it work mercie_blink.gif

CryptReaperDorian

First off, R* has to improve their sh*tty frame rate. Seriously, just about every other game out there has better frame rate than the GTA series. However, the speed of vehicles will obviously be tuned down for vehicles in GTA games due to small maps. There's a topic in the GTA IV section saying that vehicles in GTA IV barely exceed 100 mph (might be true). Even with the vehicle speeds scaled down, I don't think R* will be able to implement the breaking of the sound barrier in a believable way. I remember checking a while ago, and I believe that sonic speed is reached at 671.2 mph at sea level. That speed would be scaled down, but it would be too low to be believable in a GTA game. R* could try, but I have my doubts it would work out too well.

XTREME0235

I agree with what you stated Reaper about the frame rate.

We would also have to take in account to multiplayer. If there is a laggy connection about then how is the visual side of the sonic boom going to cooperate with it.

Taking the note that the visible ordinance of a sonic boom can last between 1-2 seconds.

LCollusions

This will be a fun, and interesting feature. But it will have many pro's and con's.

PhilWillKill

If you were going supersonic speed in a GTA game do you honestly think you would be able to look down and see the peds?

The draw distance and framerate are things that need improving as it is bad enough drifting around a corner in a fast-ish car only to see what looks like a brown/grey sheet of ice...then the detail gets drawn in and you've inadvertently ploughed into a mailbox. (Xbox360 btw)

For a supersonic jet fix, there are more suitable games than GTA wink.gif

I doubt supersonic jets would suit such a small map. What exactly does the sound barrier have to do with light?

23088_s.gif

Gilly1987
First off, R* has to improve their sh*tty frame rate.

They can't with the feeble consoles.

MonstaMasha
I doubt supersonic jets would suit such a small map. What exactly does the sound barrier have to do with light?

A sonic boom is when something travels so fast that the light reflected off it reaches our eyes before the sound of it reaches our ears. That is how light is related.

As for the idea, it would be good, but only if there was a HUGE map, less choppiness framerate-wise and bette draw distances.

A sonic boom is when something travels so fast that the light reflected off it reaches our eyes before the sound of it reaches our ears. That is how light is related.

As for the idea, it would be good, but only if there was a HUGE map, less choppiness framerate-wise and bette draw distances.

In short we see it before we hear it because light reflects of a surface and into our eyes thats how we see but in a simple form we just see it before we hear it.

Thompson.png

The Hydra in San Andreas can do Mach 0.9 and cross the map in 20 seconds. Jets just make the map seem smaller.

CryptReaperDorian

The Hydra in San Andreas can do Mach 0.9 and cross the map in 20 seconds.  Jets just make the map seem smaller.

The map of GTA SA is 13.9 square miles, and the AV-8B Harrier II goes 662 mph (.89 mach). Since GTA SA's map is quite square, this would b realistically true. However, even though I don't really have any fancy testing tools right now (I used the clock), it took me about a minute and twenty seconds to cross the map. Basically, the Hydra (AV-8B Harrier II) in GTA SA goes about 165 mph from my studies. However, I will conduct more studies trying to keep level, and I'll try to find my digital camera (15 frames in one second which was quite accurate when testing the rate of fire of weapons in video games). Oh, and may I add that the Hydra's speed made trees take a few seconds to load up? That's just another way of showing how low frame rate is in GTA games.

EDIT: The GTA Wikia says the Hydra goes 300 km/h (186.3 mph), and that would be about a minute and eleven seconds. I'd say that's quite accurate.

Edited by CryptReaperDorian

In short we see it before we hear it because light reflects of a surface and into our eyes thats how we see but in a simple form we just see it before we hear it.

Ah right I see. So we can see the sound barrier before we can hear it. Those speeds shouldn't even be in the game unless it had a map the size of those in flight simulators.

23088_s.gif

WhistleBlower

Unless your game was developed and optimized to run on the super-computer from China, this whole sonic boom thing will simply not happen. I don't really see the point in the first place. A "spawn anywhere on the map" cheat/feature would be more useful. Oh, wait...

The Hydra in San Andreas can do Mach 0.9 and cross the map in 20 seconds.  Jets just make the map seem smaller.

The map of GTA SA is 13.9 square miles, and the AV-8B Harrier II goes 662 mph (.89 mach). Since GTA SA's map is quite square, this would b realistically true. However, even though I don't really have any fancy testing tools right now (I used the clock), it took me about a minute and twenty seconds to cross the map. Basically, the Hydra (AV-8B Harrier II) in GTA SA goes about 165 mph from my studies. However, I will conduct more studies trying to keep level, and I'll try to find my digital camera (15 frames in one second which was quite accurate when testing the rate of fire of weapons in video games). Oh, and may I add that the Hydra's speed made trees take a few seconds to load up? That's just another way of showing how low frame rate is in GTA games.

EDIT: The GTA Wikia says the Hydra goes 300 km/h (186.3 mph), and that would be about a minute and eleven seconds. I'd say that's quite accurate.

I misread the wiki stat as 300m/s and coincidentally that's about right for a Harrier. I wonder if Rockstar made the same math error!

It's likely possible but not really practical considering the size of maps in GTA. For it to be worthwhile you'd need a map about 5 times the size of SA, at least.

the condensation cloud you sometimes see around jets traveling near supersonic speeds doesn't actually have much to do with the sound barrier. it's an effect of rapid compression/depression of the air moving over the wings of the plane, causing water vapours to condense out of the air, that just as quickly evaporate after the perturbance passes by. it doesn't happen right as you pass mach 1 or anything; it happens when the compression wave of the moving wing brings air to the condensation temperature, and when it happens depends on the air density, ambient temperature and relative humidity. if conditions are right, it can happen at much lower speeds than the speed of sound. it just so happens that at the altitudes supersonic jets normally fly, atmospheric conditions are such that it's more likely to occur at speeds above the speed of sound. it's basically the same phenomenon that causes a mist to form on your car's windshield when you drive through fog.

the 'boom' usually occurs after a plane has passed mach 1, and is also an effect of rapid compression/decompression of the air as the planes wing moves through it. if atmospheric conditions are right, it can happen below or above the speed of sound, and isn't an indicator of passing the sound barrier.

the only actual visual indicator of passing the sound barrier is that you see the jet before you expect the sound, because light travels very much faster than sound, but this same effect can be observed at far lower speeds. if you're far enough away from me, and i honk my horn and flash my headlights at the same time, you'll see the headlights noticeably before you hear the horn, even if i'm not moving.

if you were to truly model these effects in a video game, they wouldn't be like what you are imagining, and if you put them in in the way you are thinking, it would be bad physics, and me and about 4 other people that play the game would complain.

.. just so you know ..

You could do that in San Andreas. Though it was incredibly slowed down from the real speed of sound. If it were true to real life, you'd be across the in-game map in a matter of seconds -- no fun. Not to mention the ridiculous amount texture pop-in that would occur moving around the map in seconds.

What is even the point in wanting this? Surely, there must be more important issues to fix with a future GTA game.

XTREME0235

What is even the point in wanting this? Surely, there must be more important issues to fix with a future GTA game.

For me it's not a matter of 'want' but more or less could it be possible and is it really worth it if it could happen.

Sure it may be a useless feature to some, but for others like myself it may be a new experience and something to relatively enjoy in a video game such as GTA.

It's just something to think about is all.

facedesk.gif what would be the point I wouldnt mind it but I doubt it will happen and thats if there is planes.

Thompson.png