Claude's personality

Arsen Vitiuk

Arsen Vitiuk

Simply because when only GTA:III existed, nobody planned that whole 'era' thing. GTA:III was meant to be a conituation to GTA2, its prequel, to show what happened to Claude 12 years before his assasination.

And yes, they ARE the same person after all, although many people tend to be thinking otherwise.

Two men who look alike, behave alike and share the same name cannot be a coincidence.

I think he killed Maria, and isn't the same person as the Claude from GTA 2.

Him doing jobs doesn't have anything to do with his faith in mankind, but as I said, he needed goals. Money was a pretty good goal, and doing jobs was the way to get it.

"Two men who look alike, behave alike and share the same name cannot be a coincidence."

What do you mean "behave alike"? Claude (from GTA III) behaves according to how the player wants him to behave.

Look alike? What do you mean, just because they both wear leather jackets? Well, the typical criminal stereotype is a guy wearing a leather jacket. Other than that, they have nothing in common.

Same name?

According to Grand Theft Wiki...

"It was revealed in data files of GTA III that the player was once allowed to enter their own character name, and the 'DEFNAM' (default name) value for it was 'Claude'."

So... if the player was once allowed to enter their own character name, it wasn't planned for him to be Claude Speed.

And the default name for him was "Claude", because it was their last protagonist's name. It was just something to fill the blank.

Besides, if GTA III was a prequel for GTA 2, Rockstar would have made it A LOT more clear.

GTA2 plays in "Anywhere City", and GTAIII in Liberty City. The two games are not related by story or characters.

Arsen Vitiuk

About whether Claude killed Maria or not: we can't tell for sure. We can say Claude killed her and we can say he didn't kill her. It's a question that won't be sloved unless Rockstar says something.

Claude from GTA2 and Claude from GTA:III behave alike: they are silent, they hide their emotions within them, they will follow any orders without questioning them even if it involves turning against their former allies.

Next, they lloom alike: not in clothing, but in their facial and hairstyle appearance. Just watch the GTA2 intro movie and then compare with GTA:III's Claude. The on;ly difference is GTA2's Claude having more light hair.

They have the same name. Yes, they do. GTA:III's character's default name was Claude, GTA2's character's name, as revealed in the Intro movie, is also Claude. Rockstar just decided to keep the character's original name in the end - that's why they cancelled name selection option. Plus, Claude is a very rare name in the US at least - you won't meet a man with a name Claude every day.

Between GTA:III and GTA2 there is a 12-year gap. This means a lot has changed during those 12 years, so there cannot be a strong connection between the two stories.

Let me ask you a question: is there a strong connection between GTA VC's and GTA:III's story? No! Why? There is a 15-year gap in between. That's why the same can be applied to GTA:III and GTA2.

Another question: Where is GTA VC set? In Vice City. Where is GTA:III set? In Liberty City. The two games are not connected by the setting but still they are conected! Why can't the same apply to GTA:III and GTA2? I can't understand.

In these 12 years many things could happen to Claude that would finally lead to his arrival in Anywhere City in 2013. Why should you negate that possibility?

Oh, and there ARE some thingies connecting GTA:III and GTA2 - one of them being the rising pharmaceutical company named Zaibatsu, which by 2013 turns into a large drug-trading Zaibatsu Corporation. Claude will work for them in 2013, only to be killed by their assasin in the end.

So I don't see a reason to negate the fact that GTA2's Claude and GTA:III's Claude are, I'm more than certain, the same person.

We need to get a few things straight here.

Claude from GTA2 and Claude from GTA:III behave alike: they are silent, they hide their emotions within them

Bullsh*t. Claude Speed in GTA2 is not silent. We may not hear him, but in the GTA2 movie we can clearly see him making aggressive gestures and talking. Claude Speed in GTA2 does not hide his emotions, exactly the opposite. Claude in GTAIII is silent, calm and collected. Aloof.

user posted image

The two games are not connected by the setting but still they are conected! Why can't the same apply to GTA:III and GTA2? I can't understand.

In these 12 years many things could happen to Claude that would finally lead to his arrival in Anywhere City in 2013. Why should you negate that possibility?

Because in GTA2 there is never any mention whatsoever about any person, place, or organization from GTAIII, and in GTAIII there is never any mention about any person or event or anything from GTA2. That is why they are not related. A relation is never mentioned. From GTAIII, we know the Forelli's belong in Liberty City. Since those same Forelli's talk about Vice City in the Vice City intro, we know for a fact they are in the same universe. Also, characters from GTAIII, GTA Vice City, and GTA San Andreas appear in one or more of the games or are at least mentioned.

Arsen Vitiuk

But what of the Zaibatsu, if we're to follow your logic? It just don't add up.

Later I will also add the evidence of the same alley meeting both in GTA2 and GTA:III.

Also, Claude can make gestures in GTA:III just like he did in GTA2. Replay the game to see what I mean.

What if then he was not talking, just showed with his facial expression how much he wanted that redneck to be killed? You ever thought of that? Remember, we NEVER witness him talikng, even in that scene we can't be sure of that.

Unless Rockstar confirms that GTA2's Claude and GTA:III's Claude are diffrrent people, I won't believe otherwise.

We see his mouth move. We see him making facial expressions. GTAIII Claude does not do that, he rarely even moves his arms, let alone change his facial expression. He never expresses any emotion, not anger, not frustration. It's a complete opposite to the Claude Speed we see in GTA2. Claude Speed in GTA2 is an opportunist, a newcomer who makes deals with all the gangs in town and makes them destroy each other.

Arsen Vitiuk

The same about GTA:III.

Hell, play the game and pay attention in mission cutscenes to his gestures and how his facial exprexsion changes. And to what missions Claude attempts to get money and get closer to finding Catalina.

Also, making your mouth move, even that way, is still not enough to produce sound. So wheter Claude talked to the Russians' boss or not remains a question.

Again, until Rockstar finalizes it by saying something about it.

WhistleBlower

I agree with JustRob. Good work, man. icon14.gif

As for whether or not Claude killed Maria at the end, are you guys forgetting that the whole point of The Exchange was to kill Catalina and save Maria? Think of it as Claude evolving as a character, you know, moving on as a person. Why the hell would he go through all of that trouble only to kill his new girlfriend? Rockstar doesn't need to confirm it because it's just common sense.

Likewise, the whole two Claudes debate can end with the simple notion that a lot of game development studios create games with entirely new eras and universes with each passing generation. So it's simply a coincidence that both Claudes in GTA 2 and GTA III look the same and have the same name. They recycle names. Big deal. There was even a CJ in Liberty City, but it obviously wasn't the same one from San Andreas. I guess people just want to see things that aren't really there.

Arsen Vitiuk
There was even a CJ in Liberty City, but it obviously wasn't the same one from San Andreas. I guess people just want to see things that aren't really there.

WHERE??? I don't remeber seeing him anywhere!!!

Also, the whole 'era' thing started when GTA IV was created, so at that point in 2001 there was no era difference between GTA2 and GTA:III. That's why GTA2's Claude is tje same character as GTA:III's Claude.

Rockstar ain't such fools to let such a coincidence slip in the game beyond their will. Think of that!

WhistleBlower

There was even a CJ in Liberty City, but it obviously wasn't the same one from San Andreas. I guess people just want to see things that aren't really there.

WHERE??? I don't remeber seeing him anywhere!!!

Also, the whole 'era' thing started when GTA IV was created, so at that point in 2001 there was no era difference between GTA2 and GTA:III. That's why GTA2's Claude is tje same character as GTA:III's Claude.

Rockstar ain't such fools to let such a coincidence slip in the game beyond their will. Think of that!

Bullsh*t. They started a new era with GTA III. Did you even read my post? Like I said before, a lot of game development studios create new eras and whatnot with each passing generation. So why the f*** should Rockstar be any different? They might recycle certain names like El Burro or CJ (or simply Carl, whatever) but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're related. But you're delusional to the point where you have to find a connection between GTA 2 and GTA III. Nearly 10 years and you don't even have confirmation from Rockstar themselves! You just can't live with the fact that Claude's fate is unknown after the events of GTA III. Jesus. H. Christ. Dude.

Edited by WhistleBlower

Arsen Vitiuk

Bullsh*t. They started a new era with GTA III. Did you even read my post? Like I said before, a lot of game development studios create new eras and whatnot with each passing generation. So why the f*ck should Rockstar be any different? They might recycle certain names like El Burro or CJ (or simply Carl, whatever) but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're related. But you're delusional to the point where you have to find a connection between GTA 2 and GTA III. Nearly 10 years and you don't even have confirmation from Rockstar themselves! You just can't live with the fact that Claude's fate is unknown after the events of GTA III. Jesus. H. Christ. Dude.

Maybe Claude went into exile, maybe he moved out of Liberty City, in any case, what he was doing for those 12 years is only a guess, nothing more.

I'm gonna live with my point of view util Rockstar says me that it's not ture - they're the creators, nobody knows better than them!

But, although off-topic, you did not answer my question: Where is Carl Johnson in GTA:III??? (To avoid further off-topic, PM me).

Let's just drop this for now and agree (or disagree) with the fact that Claude from GTA:III and Claude from GTA2 are the same and only God knows what he has been doing for 12 years after events of GTA:III that made him arrive in Anywhere City.

=================================================

On topic, though. While Claude remains silent, we cn't really tell what guides him in certain situations: is this love, revenge, needa of money, instinct for survival... We won't be able to tell. His well-masked emotions will never be able to give us a clue as well as his silence.

Edited by Arsen Vitiuk

Bullsh*t. They started a new era with GTA III. Did you even read my post? Like I said before, a lot of game development studios create new eras and whatnot with each passing generation. So why the f*ck should Rockstar be any different? They might recycle certain names like El Burro or CJ (or simply Carl, whatever) but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're related. But you're delusional to the point where you have to find a connection between GTA 2 and GTA III. Nearly 10 years and you don't even have confirmation from Rockstar themselves! You just can't live with the fact that Claude's fate is unknown after the events of GTA III. Jesus. H. Christ. Dude.

Maybe Claude went into exile, maybe he moved out of Liberty City, in any case, what he was doing for those 12 years is only a guess, nothing more.

I'm gonna live with my point of view util Rockstar says me that it's not ture - they're the creators, nobody knows better than them!

But, although off-topic, you did not answer my question: Where is Carl Johnson in GTA:III??? (To avoid further off-topic, PM me).

Let's just drop this for now and agree (or disagree) with the fact that Claude from GTA:III and Claude from GTA2 are the same and only God knows what he has been doing for 12 years after events of GTA:III that made him arrive in Anywhere City.

=================================================

On topic, though. While Claude remains silent, we cn't really tell what guides him in certain situations: is this love, revenge, needa of money, instinct for survival... We won't be able to tell. His well-masked emotions will never be able to give us a clue as well as his silence.

He's not in GTA III for cryin' out loud, he was in Liberty City prior to the events of GTA SA. Did you even play these games?

No, but WhistleBrowser said on previous page there was a "CJ" in GTAIII who was not Carl Johnson from GTA San Andreas.

Personally I vaguely remember a "CJ", but I could be imagining things.

Arsen Vitiuk

He's not in GTA III for cryin' out loud, he was in Liberty City prior to the events of GTA SA. Did you even play these games?

Yes I DID! I know that Carl was in Liberty from 1987 to 1992.

WhistleBlower stated that there was Carl Johnson a 'CJ' in GTA:III. Just read previous posts before commenting. But I still can't friggin' remember where he is!

Anyway people!!! Let's keep off topic aside!!!

Anyway,

I don't think Claude ever hesitated about killing Catalina. Maybe he was waiting for the perfect opportunity, or maybe he had another motive to wait. Whatever the case, it was not remorse.

Claude is a guy who doesn't care about anyone. Not Catalina, not Maria. He worked for Kenji Kasen but had absolutely no qualms about murdering him later and making it look like a Cartel hit. He didn't twitch a limb or bat an eye when he found Asuka dead, he didn't seem to care in the least.

So I don't think Claude has any emotions. Especially not love. Maybe hatred.

Arsen Vitiuk

He CAN have them, maybe he just masks them well enough or does not let those emotions control him in certain situations where it is not wanted. This is also a doubtful point.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Arsen Vitiuk
Claude is emotionless, ice cold killer!

He just keeps his emotions aside so they won't get in the way of doing his job. Which makes an ice cold killer out of him.

The only time he hesitated was when he encountered Miguel and Catalina in Fort Staunton.

WhistleBlower

No, but WhistleBrowser said on previous page there was a "CJ" in GTAIII who was not Carl Johnson from GTA San Andreas.

Personally I vaguely remember a "CJ", but I could be imagining things.

My mistake. There was a 'Carl' in GTA 3, not a 'CJ'.

Anyways, my point was that just because they have the same first name doesn't necessarily mean they're the same person. In Claude's case, however, there's nothing to say that GTA 2 doesn't take place in an alternate timeline. It barely had a story to tell -- apart from the intro movie which contradicts Claude's calm and collected behavior.

Edited by WhistleBlower

Arsen Vitiuk
Anyways, my point was that just because they have the same first name doesn't necessarily mean they're the same person.

They can be. You know, just like Batman character. But we'll never know the truth about it unless one of Rockstar producers shares that secret with us...

Claude is emotionless, ice cold killer!

He just keeps his emotions aside so they won't get in the way of doing his job. Which makes an ice cold killer out of him.

The only time he hesitated was when he encountered Miguel and Catalina in Fort Staunton.

Dude, you made this thread so people could share their opinions. So why are you trying to disprove what everybody says?

First rule of making a debate thread- don't join in unless you have to.

pkmTc.gif

Arsen Vitiuk
Dude, you made this thread so people could share their opinions. So why are you trying to disprove what everybody says?

Oh really? I do? How? I just make a statement that matches the other person's one, thus confirming it and not disapproving it.

Back on-topic now.

What I'd like to know is does Claude have some interests: in cars, in girls (boys?), in music?

Not that if he's silent doesn't mean he has no interests.

What I'd like to know is does Claude have some interests: in cars, in girls (boys?), in music?

Not that if he's silent doesn't mean he has no interests.

Well, I think his interest is killing, earning money and steal cars! tounge2.gif

Oh, wait, he likes racing, because in GTA SA he joins a race.... So, then maybe he also likes fast cars.

WhistleBlower

Well, we know from San Andreas that he has an interest in cars as he owned a garage in San Fierro and he loved to race. He also has an interest in women, obviously, since he went out of his way to save Maria. I mean, he spent nearly a decade robbing banks with Catalina around the country. So there's no doubt that money is on the top of his list of interests even if it means breaking the law. He does remind me of a greaser though. Leather jacket, a broken heart, a love for cars etc.

Edited by WhistleBlower

• 2 weeks later...

this has already been covered in another topic... but the best answer iv heard is they didnt make him speak so u can play as yourself, if he had a personality you probably wouldnt get into it as much, its more fun playin as yourself..

That's the point smile.gif BTW I'm making some interesting (I think so) movie, so you will see some interesting things (I think so :E).

Arsen Vitiuk

He IS NOT MUTE! Otherwise he wouldn't be panting, grunting and sighing during the course of the game. He can talk for sure, just likes to keep silent.