DVD or Blu-ray?

MostOfAll

Which do you prefer?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• DVD
    • Blu-ray

MostOfAll

Which do you prefer? I'm asking because I don't know which to buy when purchasing a movie. I have a PlayStation 3, so I can watch Blu-ray discs on it. However, the problem is that I want to be able to watch the movie on my laptop, too.

Blu-ray since I have a blu-ray player and a PS3. Better quality. Once the next gen disks come out I'll start collecting those next.

MostOfAll
Blu-ray since I have a blu-ray player and a PS3. Better quality. Once the next gen disks come out I'll start collecting those next.

This is why I dislike advancements in technology. I can't even keep a steady collection of DVDs anymore because I feel tempted to start a collection of movies on Blu-ray.

Thankfully, Sony isn't doing this so much with its series of gaming consoles.

Agreed. And if/once the digital downloads start taking over I just might stop completely. I want physical copies of things I own. I mean I download a few games on XBLA, PSN, Steam, etc. but most of the games I can go out and get.

MostOfAll

I doubt digital downloads would take over. Maybe it would increase in popularity, but there will still be many people willing to purchase physical copies.

Finn 7 five 11

Well DVD's are backplayable on bluray players...for now at least, and you will be able to purchase a dvd player for many years to come so not being able to watch your dvds aint an issue.

Yes Blu-Ray is better quality in technical terms, i don't see that much of a difference/any, but i do buy them because they are so scratch resistant nothing worse than your favorite movie not playing properly due to scratches) and also the fact that its the new way to go and will be around for a while,while dvd gets phased out, also the fact Blu-rays and DVDs are a pretty similar price now, i picked up 6 blu-rays for 50 bucks a few weeks ago.

I'm going with DVD's cause I've owned a DVD for so long that I've grown with it smile.gif Blu-Rays are good i also have one too but the Blu-Ray movies are too expensive! they want like anywhere from 30-60$, but so do some DVDs also.

Blu Ray because of the quality of the picture.

It's going to be all about 3D soon...

Blu-ray. Before that though, I thought "I'll stick with my DVDs". Oh was I wrong, and I'm having fun getting a nice blu-ray collection.

darthYENIK

For me, I go BD, but in the OPs case I say DVD. They're cheap, and you don't have to worry about whether or not you can watch it on your laptop.

Once prices comes down, BD will be the standard and DVDs will go the way of CDs.

Anyone heard of HVD.

Once prices comes down, BD will be the standard and DVDs will go the way of CDs.

Anyone heard of HVD.

I never heard of that. But that's quite awesome.

Blu-Ray of course icon14.gif

there movies are too expensive man! but Blue-Ray is cool i have one too i just prefer DVD cause most movies are cheaper & I love my DVD i've been using for way too long to switch to Blue-Ray.

vertical limit

My story.

VCR

DVD

That's it, I have always wanted to see a blu Ray movie but never got the chance.

Current download speed: Mega-Slow

You've never seen a blu-ray movie? Really? I'd highly recommend you check one out. Especially a newer movie on an HDTV or even a decent 3D TV. The quality is quite incredible.

Finn 7 five 11
Blu-Ray of course  icon14.gif

there movies are too expensive man! but Blue-Ray is cool i have one too i just prefer DVD cause most movies are cheaper & I love my DVD i've been using for way too long to switch to Blue-Ray.

Blu-Ray might be expensive where you are Babe Ruth, but in Australia like i said before i picked up 6 blu-rays for 50 dollars, thats like 8 bucks each.

Is that still expensive?

Blu-Ray might be expensive where you are Babe Ruth, but in Australia like i said before i picked up 6 blu-rays for 50 dollars, thats like 8 bucks each.

Is that still expensive?

Holy Sh@t! are you serious?!.

Is that still expensive?

Holy Sh@t! are you serious?!.

We have stores like this which make baby Jesus smile.

Blu ray of course. Anyone who says otherwise clearly doesn't own one hehe.

Oh and this 3D sh*t is pissing me off. A dead old technology being brought back as something new. Seriously who wants to sit in their lounge, wearing some geeky ass goggles?

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody who disses Bluray can't afford it.

The end.

• 2 months later...
Harwood Butch3r

I've been finding myself buying more Blu Rays, but I still buy DVDs. Although I have noticed some Blu Rays are very noticeable with their picture quality, but some aren't much better than a DVD IMO.

finn4life- Yeah they're pretty cheap here. I've seen Blu rays for under $10, but typically they're older movies. Sanity usually has pretty good deals like 3 for $40 and the movies are usually recent releases. smile.gif

finn4life- Yeah they're pretty cheap here. I've seen Blu rays for under $10, but typically they're older movies. Sanity usually has pretty good deals like 3 for $40 and the movies are usually recent releases. smile.gif

lucky. man in the U.S. Blue Rays cost anywhere from 30-100+ dollers were I live.