LIVE animals sold as key rings in China

ayushisrocking

ayushisrocking

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/...l?iref=obinsite

Small fish, turtles and other amphibians are being sold in Beijing as mobile phone trinkets and key rings, to the chagrin of animal rights groups.

Kept in bags filled with colored, oxygenated water the animals cost around $1.50 each.

One vendor selling the animals outside of a Beijing subway station told CNN that the bag contained crystallized oxygen and nutrients.

What the heck? I mean, seriously, What the heck ??

Damn, I was thinking more along the lines of a tiger or a panther. Now that would be cool...

user posted image

I don't think it's possible for me to dislike china any more.

Karma will see to it that those responsible are punished smile.gif.

FIOszpJ.gif

I already thought these countries went too far but this?

I don't even...

It is indeed ridiculous. But how different is it from having a fish in a glass bowl and calling it "a pet?"

It is indeed ridiculous. But how different is it from having a fish in a glass bowl and calling it "a pet?"

Probably at the point where they are attached to a keychain and lugged about everywhere you go. catspider.gif

ayushisrocking

And...at the point when they die[a few days after u begin using these 'keychains']

Probably at the point where they are attached to a keychain and lugged about everywhere you go. catspider.gif

whatsthat.gif so the issue is that fish don't like going to going to the bank, mall, school, work, or the park, as opposed to "staying home" like this guy?

user posted image

I guess you could say the same thing about a dog tied to a chain or a bird in a cage or even animals in the zoo. Since they're taken care of, I'm assuming that it doesn't count as 'sick'. Of course, depriving them of their natural habitat is not a nice thing to do but if they have been born and raised in a box, they won't really mind it.

sofa_king

If I owned a Chinese person Id call him punchy & make him learn karate.

user posted image

I guess you could say the same thing about a dog tied to a chain or a bird in a cage or even animals in the zoo. Since they're taken care of, I'm assuming that it doesn't count as 'sick'. Of course, depriving them of their natural habitat is not a nice thing to do but if they have been born and raised in a box, they won't really mind it.

That's pretty much the point I was getting at, but it's merely stemming from my personal views on animals' existence and I'm not trying to preach, but just raising a question smile.gif

I do in fact think it's rather pointless to have a bird in a cage or a fish in a bowl simply for the sake of admiring their beauty, because, as you said, they're being deprived on their natural habitat and there's very little beauty in that. Furthermore, they're also being deprived of their natural abilities to fly and swim, respectively, and I personally can't help but feel a sense of in such acts. And in this case, I don't see much difference between fish in a bag vs. fish in a bowl. I'd prefer to be in the bag, so that way I'm more likely to be put out of my misery more quickly.

A fish in a bowl I've never had a problem with; is it true or a myth that they have poor memories? I always figured that if fish aren't that intelligent they must be pretty content living without the fear of being eaten and being supplied food every day.

I do, however, have a problem with birds being kept in a cage. Which makes me a bit of a hypocrite because my family had a bird for about 17 years continuously (4 in total) but I've only recently come to this conclusion. Birds are meant to fly and in such a limited space must surely cripple them physically, stunt their development. I also think birds are pretty smart so it's also emotionally/mentally harming to them.

As such I'll no longer keep a pet bird. Fish I still don't have a problem with though...

user posted image

Punk-in-Drublic

A few of my friends posted this on Facebook a while ago, I think it's disgusting really, it's an absolute outrage how this is perfectly normal in some parts of the world.

ass reamer

Seems pretty cumbersome to carry that around with you all the time. They're not even all that cool looking.

user posted image

fireguy109

that's twisted. i can definately not condone that, its just wrong. I don't even like the idea of pet fish unless they have a large tank....

pkmTc.gif

So what happens when I sit on my keys?

7FTgFLB.png

Finn 7 five 11

That's pretty much the point I was getting at, but it's merely stemming from my personal views on animals' existence and I'm not trying to preach, but just raising a question smile.gif

I do in fact think it's rather pointless to have a bird in a cage or a fish in a bowl simply for the sake of admiring their beauty, because, as you said, they're being deprived on their natural habitat and there's very little beauty in that. Furthermore, they're also being deprived of their natural abilities to fly and swim, respectively, and I personally can't help but feel a sense of in such acts. And in this case, I don't see much difference between fish in a bag vs. fish in a bowl. I'd prefer to be in the bag, so that way I'm more likely to be put out of my misery more quickly.

Exactly what you said here.

The Fish people keep in a bowl usually have little to no memory and are not intelligent enough to want more space, i don't see the difference between having it in a bowl or a keychain, the thing that bugs me is why? Really what is the point of having a pet fish in a keychain? It really is pointless.

wangxiulin

难道只有中国才有么?这只是个人问题...不能归于全部14亿中国人身上...

Can not read their translation to

EmPty CaSInGz

So what happens when I sit on my keys?

Crack, splash, fishy pants biggrin.gif

OysterBarron

user posted image

Well in the uk fair grounds have been banned from giving away goldfish as prizes, and there bags were twice the size of these things! but if you really have a problem then i suppose you can just cut the bag open and let them live in your tank or pond!

wtBEybp.png

gLs7a8h.png
MODQEwD.png

manofpeace

Well, that's a rip off. It's just going to die and leave a mess. Why bother?

Despite how clearly inhumane this is to animals, I'm actually more pissed off about how impractical the product is.