Short Story of the Month

Eminence

user posted image

Swan Conspiracy

Hang on just a minute - what the hell is that?!

Congratulations to last month's two winners, Craig's Shag Drag and Vercetti21's Watch and Learn. Both earned three votes each and ended up tied for the prize, and after wondering how to solve that situation, it turns out that they will share the victory!

As a result, following an excellent suggestion by Rown in the social club, both members got to suggest this month's theme - which becomes a dual theme. Nope, it's not swan, and nope, it's not conspiracy - it's both, spliced together. Magic.

We'll have a think about what to do in the event of ties in the future. Maybe we'll devise some sort of alternate system, or maybe we'll stick with this. The theme looks interesting - and challenging - and hopefully its, let's say, uniqueness won't put people off!

This month's competition

Once again, pieces can be as short or as long as you want, but bear in mind that either extreme may impact negatively on how it's received. A guideline would be anywhere around 750-1000 words.

Entry is open until Monday 23rd May. After that we'll open a voting topic for people to choose their favourite.

Simply post your work in a new topic and label it as an SSOTM entry... and that just about does it!

The Entries:

First Lady, First Lady

Craig

Mouse Story

Typhus

The Ridge

Eminence

The Swan Killer

methods.

Swan Song

UglyCasanova

Edited by Eminence

Haha. That's amazing. Just think what it could have been!

Vercetti21

Swan conspiracy, hahaha what the eff. I rather like that this came out in a tie.

Should be an interesting month, but hopefully another popular one.

Instantly reminds me of Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman. Can't wait to hear some of the stories!

kzgN7qp.png

I can see it now - a dramatic combination of Black Swan and Spy Vs. Spy...

I'll probably jot something down at work tonight, no idea where an idea like this could go.

Bloody hell- I won't be able to contribute this month due to my examinations. Origami's always been a hobby of mine, too. sad.gif

How's everyone doing so far? It's challenging, but I'm enjoying the different routes I'm going down as I brainstorm.

I've not been able to get any solid ideas aside from one I've been having for a while. I'll probably be skimming really close on the edge of using the theme again, but it will get really apparent without having to say.

kzgN7qp.png

Swan Conspiracy - Something beautiful yet complex. Something at once brilliant but laughable, as conspiracies tend to be. Yes, I may have an idea.

El Zilcho

I'm stumped on this one. Really quagmired in this theme - which is excellent! This theme is going to produce some original, great work from everyone around here I'm sure of it.

U R B A N I T A S

My plans to revise got ruined temporarily by last months competition. This time I'll be happy to vote but I won't be able to take part in the actual entry stage. Not that I can think of anything remotely workable to do with both swans and conspiracies right now anyway. tounge.gif

Struggled with writing one, ended up writing three.

Bugger.

Around a week left to get your entry in. So far it's been a slow trickle, but if we get a couple more we should be set. Anyone got any coming up?

UglyCasanova

I've been wanting to write for this month, and it's not like I don't have time. I'm only taking a couple of summer classes, but this theme is really going over my head. Maybe I've been overly tired for the past three weeks, but every time I try to read for the theme, I can't seem to see it. I have no idea what is meant by 'Swan Conspiracy'. :\

Force it to fit. Sometimes jamming a story into a box and sitting on the lid so it doesn't burst is the best part of a theme. What I mean is, think of any conspiracy concept to a short story and pull it apart. When reassembling, ensure you throw a juicy swan in there. Cook for 4 hours under a slow heat. Serves four. Eat with wooden spoon!

One or two more would be perfect. I'm tempted to post the others I wrote.

Maybe after the competition's over so that people don't get confused when voting? tounge.gif