Terraria

Maleficus

user posted image

(logo shamelessly stolen from the dev's website)

Terraria is the newest indie title by Redigit, who created the apparently well done (I've never played it) platformer Super Mario Bros. X, which got shut down by Nintendo.

Bullet points:

• Two dimensional Single and Multiplayer platforming adventure game
  • Randomly generating deformable terrain
  • Tile based building system
  • World sizes ranging from 84x32 screen lengths to 168x64
  • Surface/Underground biomes with sky biomes planned
  • Gatherable resources and monsters (some flying) populate the land
  • Day/Night cycle with Lunar phases that have gameplay effects
  • Crafting system with 200+ items so far, including accessories that when equipped grant special abilities like double jumping, breathing underwater, etc.
  • Boss monsters can be summoned ala Monster Hunter by gathering items dropped from regular monsters/found in the world.
  • NPC's such as merchants and nurses that can be attracted to your territory by building them houses/rooms and meeting other prerequisites.

This game is being called a 2d Minecraft clone by some, but I don't think that does it justice at all. Decide for yourself:

If that piqued your interest, the developers are releasing a Let's Play on that same Youtube channel at the rate of 1-2 short videos a day.

I personally can't wait for some playable version of this to be released to the masses, whether or not I have to pay for it (Note: Redigit has said the full game will cost money). I love that there is more direction to the gameplay than just gathering resources and building more or less useless structures like in Minecraft. Hopefully the Minecraft talk can be kept to a minimum in this topic, but I know there are many comparisons to be drawn between the two games.

WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG

AlfieWilRus

A copy of Minecraft I see. Not in the 1st person POV though.

Also, get rid of that sig. Takes too much space.

Maleficus

f*ck off, it is within the limits. Try writing a post with some content next time.

Simon and Lewis of the Yogscast have started a let's play of this. It is their typical stumbling through gameplay, but I think it is pretty entertaining.

It doesn't show anything that hasn't been shown already but I'd wager it is going to build quite a bit more hype for this game. Redigit has really ramped up the rate at which information is getting out to the public, hopefully this is a sign that the game will be coming out a lot sooner than originally intended.

WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG WOLF GANG GOLF WANG

• 5 weeks later...

Friend got a 4-pack and gave a copy to me, I was very skeptic about this game at first (not a big 2D fan) but damn was I wrong, with other people it is a lot of fun.

user posted image

current base with a very deep mine on the left, now we're looking for demon altars

I was expecting a tonne of "OMGMINECRAFTSTEALZERZ WUT FAGS"

Too be fair, the idea of "Minecraft" isn't original either, so pull your head from up notch's arse.

I might get it when I aint poor.

Oldage, buy it me, I got you Poker night tounge.gif

I played the singleplayer for a while and didn't like it so much, cool ideas and nice style, but the digging was just too annoying to me.

oh lol! This is so cute, malfy. Is it free to play? Where do i sign up!?!?!?

I kno you're dismissing minecraft comparisons but minecraft has always been.... inaccessible? to me lmfao. Just a little too intimidating. This looks totes rad, tho!

oh lol! This is so cute, malfy. Is it free to play? Where do i sign up!?!?!?

I kno you're dismissing minecraft comparisons but minecraft has always been.... inaccessible? to me lmfao. Just a little too intimidating. This looks totes rad, tho!

It cost like 10 bucks and this game is much better than Minecraft in my opinion.

I'm also fan of the games graphics, because I've always loved nintendo games.

Notch, the developer of Minecraft, practically sold the game to thousands when he sent a link out on his twitter a few weeks ago. The whole of Mojang actually played the game on Friday too, even when Minecraft was riddled with bugs after the new update. I really doubt he cares.

Haven't played Terraria yet. I read somewhere that all the 'special items' that are the rarest items can be found within a few hours and that really put me off..

Brown Sugar

I got this game about a week back and haven't played it a lot because of dirt 3 but from the 5 or so hours I've played it's a brilliant game, I haven't played minecraft so I couldn't compare them but who gives a sh*t even if it is a minecraft clone. I'm sure it has elements of kinecraft but it also has much more, adding enemies to fight makes it interesting instead of mining and building the whole time.

Blizzard14

This game is f*cking fun.

Go f*cking Play It.

thank god they included resolution options for fullscreen in this update.

I can see everything.

I like the look of this, and from what I've seen and read It's a great play.

I'll get it.

• 5 months later...

big bump, I bought it on steam for half the price (cost me €5)

it's taking a while for getting into it but it's fun smile.gif

any good servers around?

any good servers around?

people still play this game? wasnt it dead

any good servers around?

people still play this game? wasnt it dead

suppose it isn't smile.gif saw it, read about it before, bought it smile.gif

• 5 months later...
Joaoseinha

Reviving this from the ashes.Well,I was going to make a terraria topic,but I actually searched (unlike many noodles on this forum) and found it. I started playing it today,and I love it for some basic reasons:

1. I was born into 2d games,and this one is perfect

2. Both the single player and the multiplayer are perfect

3. More crafting options than minecraft

4. Easier to use bows

5. Better looking vanilla armors

6. This game is much more focused on combat,with slimes of many colors,zombies,some weird looking eyeballs which I always take out with my bow,a pain in the ass on my opinion,some worms which come out of the ground,which are a MAJOR pain in the ass,you can only see them coming by the noise they make,this is all I found yet,but there are also bosses and stuff.

7. You can make a kingdom,since if you meet certain requirements you can have NPCs move into a house,if you make them one(Must contain 1 chair,1 table,full walls at 5x7 minimum and a source of light),like a merchant,if you manage to get 50 silver coins,which was a pain in the ass for me to get,but got it on about 2 hours.

8. The mining aspect is much different,with the layers also being different: The sky,which contains skylands,the surface,the dirt level,the rocky dirt level,which is a mix of dirt and rock,the rock layer and the Underworld(some kind of nether,but without needing a portal),and there different ores as well,copper,iron,silver and gold.

9. Since the game is 2d,it doesn't take too much of your computer,which can make wicked stuff on it and still have a good performance.

10. BLOODMOONS.The moon is red,zombies can f*ck up your doors and kill ya,there are creatures everywhere,try to last 10 seconds fighting them off,also,all the NPCs sell new stuff or have new lines.

11. Extra:You start with a guide,which helps you a lot.He will move in to a house and can help you.

In my new game,I am a wizard named Elder.I made a kingdom called terrary,which consists of 5 inhabitants currently:Elder,the king. Cody,the helper and advisor of the king. A merchant,moved in recently. CUTE Bunnies. A sh*tload of birds which are often killed with flaming arrows by someone(guess who? sneaky2.gif)

I have barricated my kingdom with two 5x10 dirt walls and a door on each,all the kingdom is lighted,and my Castle is actually not the stereotype castle,it is actually a wooden three story building,in which the left entrance leads to the second story,with a stair,and then you can go down or up.Up we have my dining area,with access to my roof made out of clay bricks.Down we get onto a useless area which I don't know what to do with.It has a workbench and a door which accesses the right side of the kingdom.We can even go lower,with my stairs to the mine area.In here,the walls turn from wood to stone,and down you find a workbench,an anvil and a furnace.But you can even go LOWER into my mine which is about 750 blocks deep,with plenty of clay,copper and iron,no silver or gold yet. All walled up.

I did that all in 2 hours.

Now,onto the left side,outside the borders of Terrary,there's a HUUUUUUUUGE cave which granted me about 30 silver coins and I only explored the left wing.for you non-Terrary folks,the silver coins is the currency of the game.1 silver coin = 100 copper coins.If we sum up all on copper coins,I have about 4000 copper coins.

Well that was a big post.

Anyway,this is not a minecraft ripoff,it is inspired by it but it is waaay different into it.I think it costs 10 bucks on steam,or 7 dollars or something.

and it doesn't get updated anymore, but it's indeed fun to play, yet it lacks a modding community and decent mods, unlike minecraft, and minecraft still gets updated..terraria developers moved on to a new (pretty terraria-like) project, to do in space, look for it, you'll find it;..hope this one becomes more of a success, terraria lacked decent mp support i think...meh, still play it every now and then, had quite some gold coins and a gold armor set, but it's boring when you play alone for too long

Joaoseinha

Nah,I always like it,I love 2d games.I also find the terraria forums quite updated.

Joaoseinha

Please read the post I made above.

Joaoseinha

Sorry for the double post,I know about the edit button,I just need to call some attention onto this:

Please keep your starbound talk here too now,since they are made by basically the same developers(excluding some,of course).

Anyway,does anyone still play terraria?

I created a new character.He's called Rick,the archer(anyone who knows who I am talking about gets this: cookie.gif ).He lives in Airrarret(Terraria backwards,found the name real cool.).He's turning out more successful than the elder.He lives in a four storey house(counting the basement and the roof) with the basement having the workbench,anvil and furnace,the first floor having a small dining room,and the third floor having the bathroom,chests and an armor display.In the roof I have my bed.Also,I made a jacuzzi by making a 2x2 hole and surrounding it with clay bricks,and filling it up with my bucket.I also have the guide,merchant and nurse all on the same home.

I found a HUUUUUGE cave.Just to get the idea,it goes down to gold.Found diamonds,topaz and some more stuff and made blue,white and green torches.Underground on that cave there's also a part with mushrooms.Real weird.Found about 3 Heart Crystals already,got a gold broadsword and a silver bow with flaming arrows,and also found a Demon's Altar.

That's pretty much everything I've made there,since that game only has about 4hours of playthrough.

Anyway,starbound seems to be amazing,I can't wait.

Looks like a sh*tty 2D Minecraft.

looks like a sh*tty comment from someone who never played terraria

't has a worse look than minecraft but a better gameplay mechanic (but in 3D it'd be more awesome) i like how it all gets harder the deeper you go, whilst in minecraft bedrock is often safer than the surface...

there's also a mod "mineterria": http://www.minecraftmine.org/minerraria-terraria-mod/

it's currently outdated though sad.gif

Looks like a sh*tty 2D Minecraft.

looks like a sh*tty comment from someone who never played terraria

Looks like GTAforums.

1. Not every game that contains digging is minecraft.

2. Not every game that looks sh*t graphic-wise is minecraft.

3. Even if it was a Minercraft it still wouldn't make it sh*t/good by default.

Joaoseinha

The graphics are better than minecraft.Seriously,since it is 2d,more can be put into that.I really like it.I like minecraft too,but I don't like these pixelized textures.Also,the lighting and water physics are WOW.Digging underwater - Water level goes down.Adding blocks there - Water level goes up.Also,closing down a hole which is making water come inside doesn't make the water disappear like minecraft.The water that dropped down stays there.I just hate how little water I can carry in the bucket.

I love the lighting because,if you drop(called throw in terraria) a torch,it will still light.I use that to light big falls so I can see if it is safe,or to measure the height of that.Also,holding torches lights the place,and vines block the view and makes places darker.I just hate the torch placement sometimes when I can't put a torch lol,but I eventually get there.Now I just put a block on the ceiling and put a torch on both sides as a light.

EDIT:Also on the lighting,you can make different colored torches,which rocks.I could make a disco lol,I have green,white and red torches plus normal ones with my character,Rick,the archer.

The cookie is still here for who guesses where I took Rick the archer from.

Joaoseinha

That's a mod,doesn't come in the original game(although it is really cool).

Still,the lighting in terraria still beats it.

ok ok I see you're sold, yet my previous points still stand, terraria doesn't receive any more updates, barely has a modding community etc.

E: I don't say it's bad, it's a superb game but it lacks the community and developers to make it as good as mc

Joaoseinha

Yeah those are the bad points...But the vanilla game itself provides hours of fun,I am not tired of it yet.I just roleplay and create different characters.I have a mage and an archer at the moment.

Hopefully spacebound will be even better.

• 1 year later...

The game is on sale on Steam for £1.49 if you wanna check it out.

Edited by Eminem!