The Wanted Level System

grope_4_that_date

I really hope they add the nightstick again. In the GTA III era games the nightstick was depicted very wrongly. Cops don't murder suspects with their nightsticks. They use it for self-defence. I think that if V re-introduced the nightstick, but in a realistic manner, I'd be happy.

I really hope they add the nightstick again. In the GTA III era games the nightstick was depicted very wrongly. Cops don't murder suspects with their nightsticks. They use it for self-defence. I think that if V re-introduced the nightstick, but in a realistic manner, I'd be happy.

Rodney King

grope_4_that_date
The cops should act stupid in some cases and then yet again act smart. It would be awesome if the same cop would chase you down the city and just tailgate & look for you until your wanted level vanishes.

By that I mean that they shouldn't disappear/appear like in GTA's previously, they should keep their damage or something.

Okay, this is where I want things to change. I don't want cops to be "funny." I think fat cops should be where they belong, in parks or museums. I want them to be random acts -- but I don't want them all to be fat!

Also, I agree - cops need to CHASE you. I want it to be more like Metal Gear Solid and Manhunt, where I'd fear for my life. Red Dead Redemption wasn't really that great. I didn't really feel any consequences. And most importantly,

Death needs to stop. Whats the point of "Busted" if you're always getting killed. In GTA4, you lose all your weapons if you get Busted... but that never happened because you could just kill yourself.

• 3 weeks later...
grope_4_that_date

Added a great new concept, tell me what you think. icon14.gif

Summary

Clock Timers - Timers will start every time you steal a car, depending on the time and location you steal them. The clock can go from 3 minutes to 5 days. For example, if you steal a car at night in an abandoned car, you'll have 3 in-game days to sell it for parts, paint it, or ditch it completely. If you steal it in the middle of the street with 30 witnesses, you'll have three minutes.

Heat Bars - Heat bars serve as a record of your (unwanted) police attention, hence the name. Heat bars are completely separate from your wanted levels. See description for more details.

• Running from the police will DOUBLE the cost of your crimes.

• When you reach a full heat bar, the police will set up a raid outside your house. They don't know you're location until you give yourself away.

The Idea(s) & Reasons Why They Work:

Stealing a car should be more dangerous. Players should feel 'heat' from the police after breaking the law, especially if they do it out in the open. It's simple, more consequences equals more fear, which eventually leads to more thrill. Rockstar's Manhunt had me shaking in my pants because I was terrified of dying. It made the game entertaining. They need to transfer this over to Grand Theft Auto. Players should feel like they're always looking over their shoulder. The problem is making it fun and not annoying. I think I have a solution.

Timers and the Heat Bar

How about every time you steal a car; there is a timer at the top of the screen. This timer would serve as the time you have to get that car off the street before you get a two-three star wanted level. However, this timer has no affiliation with how many stars you originally get while stealing the car. For example, if you steal a car in the middle of the daylight, you'll most likely get a one star wanted level. Once you lose the police, you'll still have the timer running. Basically, the timer implies that you'll have 10 - 15 minutes to either 1) lose that car 2) get it painted 3) stripped for parts. Also, once the timer ends, you can lose that police, but your heat will increase.

Now, here's where it gets interesting. If you were to bring that stolen car back to your safe house, save the game, and then get back into the same car, you're heat bar would increase significantly. Step out of the car, and it will return to your original status. Why? Because that car's timer ran out. The police are looking for it. Basically, driving that car is dangerous and stupid. You won't get a wanted level immediately, but if you drive that car you eventually will.

• Full heat bars will not give you an immediate wanted level.

• You're heat bar will decrease significantly during the night, but will return to it's original percentage in the morning.

The Disadvantages of having a high heat bar:

• You'll get a higher wanted level for the crimes you commit.

• You'll get penalized for running from the police (double the cost of your crimes).

You will not get random wanted levels. (I don't think that would be fun.)

• However, here's the kicker! Police will set up raids outside your house! Scroll down to the raids section!

Police Raids

When you have a full heat bar, the police will set up a raid outside your house. The cool part is they will not know where you are, only if you give yourself away of course. The cops will say "We know you're in there. Come out with your hands up." You'll feel like John Marston in Red Dead Redemption, awaiting your assassination. You have two choices, 1.) Try to make a run for it or 2.) sneak out the back door if you have one!

How To Get & Remove "Heat"

• You get heat every time you escape the police. It will increase depending on the crimes you committed.

• You can remove your heat simply by paying your crimes, bribing witnesses or getting a pardon note.

Edited by grope_4_that_date

grope_4_that_date

There should be an option in the menu. Cops: Realistic or Fun and the AI changed accordingly. That would make everyone happy.

What's the problem with cops searching for stolen vehicles?

How about this:

user posted image

1.) Stealing a car at night, no witnesses, will not cause the car to have 'heat'.

2.) The more witnesses, the bigger the circle.

wow, I never thought about that, good idea, Grape (lol)

See no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil...

I LOST A FRIEND, MAY GOD REST YOUR SOUL, ZEE

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

user posted image

user posted image

grope_4_that_date
Grope, would this apply to vehicles spawned with cheats?

Nope. It would only happen after you steal a car. Once you get it re-painted its yours for good.

Police Raids

When you have a full heat bar, the police will set up a raid outside your house. The cool part is they will not know where you are, only if you give yourself away of course. The cops will say "We know you're in there. Come out with your hands up." You'll feel like John Marston in Red Dead Redemption, awaiting your assassination. You have two choices, 1.) Try to make a run for it or 2.) sneak out the back door if you have one!

3. Have a shootout from inside your house. Roadwork, anyone? I'd love to be running through my house with a shotgun, shooting out my windows at the cops. The best would be when the cop walks up to your door. BOOM goes the shotgun through the front door glass and he flies down the driveway, triggering a level 4 wanted level. Or, when you're upstairs with a sniper rifle. Level it at the cops waiting to help if they're needed, and one looks up in a cinematic, sees you and screams "ambush!" as you blast his head off. biggrin.gif I don't know if I'd want this all the time, but it would be a great story ending or mission and provide incentive for the player to leave the city.

Also, you should return to your house later and see caution tape and people going through it and stuff.

Edited by fireguy109

pkmTc.gif

Grope, would this apply to vehicles spawned with cheats?

Nope. It would only happen after you steal a car. Once you get it re-painted its yours for good.

Good. I remember how I'd get wanted stars for getting into a cheat spawned vehicle in vice city. God that was annoying.

grope_4_that_date

Have a shootout from inside your house. I'd love to be running through my house with a shotgun, shooting out my windows at the cops. The best would be when the cop walks up to your door. BOOM goes the shotgun through the front door glass and he flies down the driveway, triggering a level 4 wanted level. Or, when you're upstairs with a sniper rifle. Level it at the cops waiting to help if they're needed, and one looks up in a cinematic, sees you and screams "ambush!" as you blast his head off. biggrin.gif I don't know if I'd want this all the time, but it would be a great story ending or mission and provide incentive for the player to leave the city.

That would be fun but it would get in the way of saving the game.

user posted image

Police raids happen after you save your game. The police do not raid your house, but completely surround it. You can either go quietly, try to sneak out the back door, or take them all out. You'll know its a raid. At first you'll hear a cop on speakerphone saying "Come out with your hands up." Police lights, cop cars, helicopter spotlights, and caution tape will pretty much guarantee that you're going to pay for the crimes you committed.

I never said you couldn't save. I said you could resist them while inside your house versus just running away like a criminal punk. dozingoff.gif

pkmTc.gif

annie_himself
There should be an option in the menu. Cops: Realistic or Fun and the AI changed accordingly. That would make everyone happy.

How about this:

user posted image

1.) Stealing a car at night, no witnesses, will not cause the car to have 'heat'.

Why would you want to have cops looking for you every time you steal a car? Sounds cool in theory yet it would be the thing people complain about when you're talking about "Things you don't want to see i GTAVI"

I feel that there should be a "bribe" system just like in Mafia II, but it definitely could be improved in GTA V. For example:

1. If you bribe a cop for committing a petty crime (such as jacking a car or causing some havoc but nobody was seriously hurt) the cops may have a soft spot for you and will sometimes accept a bribe (70-80% chance of working)

2. If you were in a major chase that caused a lot of trouble but nobody was seriously hurt, the cops might accept a bribe, but that chance is lower (20-40% chance of succeeding)

3. If you have caused a lot of causalities or a serious major crime (gunning down a few people, setting objects on fire, killing an important person such as a teen pop star or a politician, etc.) cops WILL NOT accept a bribe, never. I seriously doubt that cops in real life (especially in the United States) will accept a bribe from a terrorist.

Also, here is how in my opinion the wanted level can be improved:

1 Star: Crimes in this category include starting a fight with a pedestrian, jacking a car when a cop sees you, or speeding. Only a few cop cars will be sent, and if you were speeding, you may pull over and pay a fine if you don't want to cause any trouble.

2 Star: Crimes that get this instantly would be stealing a cop car, assaulting an officer, injuring multiple people, firing a gun in a neighborhood but no casualties, or resisting arrest for a long period of time. This time, a moderate number of cars will come, but cops WILL NOT start firing. Cops will try to tackle the player. There will be a 50/50 chance of escaping this.

3 Star: Crimes that get this instantly would be starting a major fire, shooting an officer, robbing a store, or firing a gun and someone was injured. This time, cops WILL shoot, but will still try to tackle if they can. Helicopters may be sent, and officers will be on high alert.

4 Star: Crimes that get this would include setting a building on fire, causing multiple casualties with a gun or setting a car on fire. This time, cops will come with body armor and cops will carry larger weapons such as an SMG or a rifle. Cops will try to kill the suspect and will almost always show no mercy. Cops may start blockades.

5 Star: Crimes that get this instantly would be trespassing in a restricted area, carrying a gun in a police station (if they are accessible), robbing a bank, or being caught distributing drugs. SWAT teams will be sent, and fewer police cars will be shown as the police will transition toward more prepared units. SWAT officers carry M4 Carbines and SMGs. SWATs will have a lot of body armor and will be more difficult to kill. It will be rare for cops to have standard pistols.

6 Star: No, Tanks will not be sent. The army in a city makes no sense. Crimes that give you an instant 6 star would be causing crimes of terror, such as bombing a building, causing a car bomb and your caught, or killing people in an airport (whether inside or outside). Units are the same, though helicopters will be equipped with weapons, and the police will do anything to kill this man. All units wear armor, and officers do not carry standard pistols, and instead will carry bigger weapons. Pedestrians are advised to keep away from the streets, and you will see less traffic and fewer people.

That's my suggestion.

NO. No f*cking speeding stars! Dammit, why does everyone want to force me to drive like a normal person? And yeah, oversensitive police really sound fun, and not frustrating or overbearing in any way. Jesus, what next? Will people suggest getting a job as a bus driver?

In all honestly I thought the cops were too easy to kill, and that somewhat killed off the fun. GTA V probably won't be an arcade game like the GTA III era games. And yes, some people like a challenge, and no people aren't forcing you to become a bus driver (thought it might make a good sub-mission if you need some money).

And for all the people whining whether the game should be realistic or fun (especially when it comes to cops), there should be an option to satisfy everyone (proposed solution by Zee). For example, Mafia II had a driving of a simulation or arcadey option and L.A. Noire had the "black and white" option. Those games of course didn't force you to have one particular option.

ClareXoBearrx3R9

How about this:

user posted image

Why would you want to have cops looking for you every time you steal a car? Sounds cool in theory yet it would be the thing people complain about when you're talking about "Things you don't want to see i GTAVI"

Exactly icon14.gif . I'm open for ideas and such, but some of this is going too far...

The concept of Grand Theft Auto is about committing crimes. I don't want to have to worry about cops every time I take a vehicle or do something. Sometimes, I want to beat the sh*t out of pedestrians and not have to do with the cops --- that should be my prerogative. I shouldn't have to worry about them 24/7 when I don't want to.

The police could definitely be made harder, but stuff like them searching for your car, I could do without. It's not like it's that realistic anyway...cops in real life aren't stupid. Just because you change your plates or change the vehicle's color doesn't mean they'll never find you. wink.gif

smile.gif

grope_4_that_date

How about this:

user posted image

It's hard to convince people when they haven't played it yet. Trust me, it will be fun. smile.gif

One Star Wanted Level

user posted image

• Officers only shoot if you do.

• Cops do not have backup.

• Officers run... fast.

• Officers tackle you to the ground to arrest you. You can tap ‘A’ to try to escape, but officers will then hit and kick you.

• Officers always attempt to handcuff you. If you press ‘A’ before they arrest you, you can escape (while handcuffed). You will not be able to use your hands.

• Officers will arrest you at gunpoint in vehicles.

• Officers shoot your tires (accurately) if you try to flee in a vehicle.

• If you escape in a vehicle you will automatically attain a two star wanted level.

• Cops pull you over. If you’re already in a vehicle, you have 3 minutes to pull over your car. Otherwise you’ll get a two star wanted level. Remember, fleeting the police will double your crime pay.

Two Star Wanted Level

user posted image

• All cops run / or take cover if fired upon.

• Cops have backup.

• Cops will not try to handcuff you; they use tasers, or sometimes guns.

• Police officers usually arrest the player by aiming their tasers (or sometimes gunpoint — if the player is in a vehicle, the protagonist surrenders immediately; if on foot, the player can resist arrest by running away and/or fighting back, however this will cause a cop to taser you. You most likely will fall to the ground. 

Three Star Wanted Level

user posted image

• The first "serious" wanted level.

• Now, the police will form road blocks manned by just two police cars.

• Cops will start setting up Spike strips (rare).

Four Star Wanted Level

user posted image

• Cops start setting up more road blocks; all road blocks will have spike strips.

• The search area is gets larger.

Six Star Wanted Level

user posted image

• FBI takes over.

• All officers employ more advanced driving techniques, such as the PIT maneuver, as they try to make the player spin out of control and crash.

• Good luck. You're probably going to jail.

Five Star Wanted Level

user posted image

• You better hope you have armor and God on your side.

• The army completely takes over.

• Entire streets are blocked off. Road blocks are on just about every corner.

Just want to point out that 5 comes before 6 not after.

Would you make it so the wanted down cheat gets rid of heat and raids and stuff? If so, I'd be cool. And you'll also have to consider how this'll work in multiplayer free roam.

grope_4_that_date
Just want to point out that 5 comes before 6 not after.

Thank you. I was editing it earlier and found some problems in the code. I copy and pasted Five twice to fix the problem, however I guess I changed the wrong one. Fixed. icon14.gif

Would you make it so the wanted down cheat gets rid of heat and raids and stuff? If so, I'd be cool. And you'll also have to consider how this'll work in multiplayer free roam.

you already planning on using cheats? thats kinda sad.

The heat bar idea is exactly what I've been preaching about! It seriously takes being wanted to a whole new level, where you are dodging police stings and traps while they slowly try to track you down. I think you should add things like police surveillance and tails.

Edited by akavari112

A minor feature probably, but if GTA V decides to borrow the "description" feature we saw in Mafia II, then the player can avoid getting a description if the player decides to wear a mask. That way, the cops cannot get a proper description, and so if you are able to get away description won't be a big problem.

Also, from the "car heat" feature, I noticed the license plates need to be changed (the box in the screenshot said that). That definitely should be in the game. I think the Pay N Spray shops should also have the ability to change the license plate.

EDIT: I think that when you steal a "bait car", it should be a 2-star wanted level instead. The whole purpose of that concept is to arrest car jackers, not use absolute police brutality.

Edited by Death2Drugs

grope_4_that_date
A minor feature probably, but if GTA V decides to borrow the "description" feature we saw in Mafia II, then the player can avoid getting a description if the player decides to wear a mask. That way, the cops cannot get a proper description, and so if you are able to get away description won't be a big problem.

Also, from the "car heat" feature, I noticed the license plates need to be changed (the box in the screenshot said that). That definitely should be in the game. I think the Pay N Spray shops should also have the ability to change the license plate.

EDIT: I think that when you steal a "bait car", it should be a 2-star wanted level instead. The whole purpose of that concept is to arrest car jackers, not use absolute police brutality.

Or clothes. Nonetheless, Great Idea icon14.gif This is the kinda of stuff I'll add to my topics.

Also @ Death2Drugs, I will fix the wanted level. You make a good point.

great ideas biggrin.gif

i just hope they add objects u can hide in. like, at 1 star, if a cop is chasing you and you cut into an alley. it would be cool if you could jump inside a dumpster or something or also hide inside abandoned buildings, until the coast is clear. it was alright in 4, i just hated how accurate officers were when they shot at you doing 150mph. rockstar should take a look at the system used in metal gear solid, that would help inspire great ideas.

great ideas biggrin.gif

i just hope they add objects u can hide in. like, at 1 star, if a cop is chasing you and you cut into an alley. it would be cool if you could jump inside a dumpster or something or also hide inside abandoned buildings, until the coast is clear. it was alright in 4, i just hated how accurate officers were when they shot at you doing 150mph. rockstar should take a look at the system used in metal gear solid, that would help inspire great ideas.

I was going to say something similar. I think that in V they should let you hide in "dark spots" like in the Warriors and you are able to hide in certain objects such as a dumpster, building, etc where a cop normally wouldn't check.

I was going to say something similar. I think that in V they should let you hide in "dark spots" like in the Warriors and you are able to hide in certain objects such as a dumpster, building, etc where a cop normally wouldn't check.

i never played the warriors, but i remember doing that mission in san andreas, when u stole "MADD DOG'S RHYME BOOK?!?!" ... i remember you could hide in the shadows and sh*t.

manhunt had a pretty cool stealth system, 2 it was kinda like a mini game tho. you had to press the right buttons in order to remain hidden. i'm just hoping they at least incorporate some type of coverage system, while on foot.

grope_4_that_date

i never played the warriors, but i remember doing that mission in san andreas, when u stole "MADD DOG'S RHYME BOOK?!?!" ... i remember you could hide in the shadows and sh*t.

manhunt had a pretty cool stealth system, 2 it was kinda like a mini game tho. you had to press the right buttons in order to remain hidden. i'm just hoping they at least incorporate some type of coverage system, while on foot.

The stealth in San Andreas wasn't really top-notch, but Rockstar captured it perfectly in Manhunt (and even a little in Bully). If Rockstar improves their AI Wanted System to a level like Metal Gear Solid... they will have completely redefined the Grand Theft Auto franchise. I really hope they do.

When you make a running attempt and actually hide without peds in view, or police, it ought to expire, since shooting pigeons set the cops off again, it was always a bit more annoying with the GTA IV system

grope_4_that_date

Not really a fan on how this came out, but it's a good illustration on what I'm thinking of.

user posted image