The Wanted Level System

grope_4_that_date

Mainland Marauder

After messing around on my San Andreas 100% save, I got on here looking for a discussion about this exact topic and this is what I found. This is not intended to undermine you here Ryan, but I unlock this because but I want to share a thought and this is an aspect of GTA that I for one would really like to see refined beyond what we've seen.

Anyway - my basic observation here is that the cops in GTA games so far have behaved like mindless drones. They charge at you no matter what kind of heavy artillery you're carrying, and they keep coming no matter how many of them you mow down. This is supposed to be a police standoff, not zombie survival horror. You'll also learn what spots where they never go. And worst of all, you can have a cop on foot walk around the corner, you're standing around four dead bodies with an AK-47 and you don't get a wanted level when it's obvious you're responsible for the makeshift morgue on the pavement around you.

"You tell me exactly what you want, and I'll explain to you very carefully why it cannot be."

I agree with all the OP's points, furthermore i'd like to agree with MM for opening this up again aswell, as I truly hate the wishlist; I see it as a creche for 10 year old SA fanboys, not the place to actually post proper ideas and observations. "Wish"list- the clue's in the name.

The cops in IV are absolutely dreadful in practically every way imaginable. I completely detest them and their methods. This is not some funky little feature to add a bit of authenticity or a simple minigame to add an hour's gameplay value; this is The Cops, the heart and soul of GTA since 1997.

If R* doesn't pull their fingers out and seriously I mean SERIOUSLY improve the cops in the next game (The OP's suggestions are just the tip of the iceberg), then they have completely failed in my eyes.

You've got amazing ideas that I can see work in the next GTA. I was playing GTA IV earlier on today and I caused mayhem for the cops to get on my tail. I looked at the way they drive it makes me laugh but overall its a bit poor, Sometimes they slide there car at the wrong time in the wrong place. The roadblocks are heavy and if I wanted to smash past them I'd need a heavy car. Anyway, They just d osome stupid actions. Giving me a WTF Moment, I hope and im sure they will improve the Police.

Kweckzilber

This is one of the topics I was looking for, and I was thinking of creating one. But then I found this topic, and found the lock, and I was disappointed. Not to offend you or anything, Ryan, but like Mainland Marauder and visionist said, this is one of the few important topics that Rockstar needs to focus on, if not the most important one.

I have already lost the best word to describe cop behaviour at the mention of 'mindless drones', and it is disappointing that all these years, R* have not thought seriously about it. Cops need to be more serious, and at higher levels, helicopters should swoop down and try to stop us, like in the NFS games. Also, cops need better vehicles to use at the higher stars. The idea of spike strips and more realistic roadblocks will also be better.

We, the fans have wished for better Police AI in GTA for years. Whenever I'm on a mission and the filth are cahsing me, I see them not as a threat but an irritation that can be outrun. True they get more 'up for it' as the game goes on but they don't act like proper Police for many of the reasons pointed out.

Hopefully RockStar are listening to us and have put more work into making the Police a bigger and more efficient threat this time around.

Lets not get to carried away though, maybe make the police better in some areas but not to life like, one thing i hated about Mafia 2 was that the police would pull you over for speeding, if that happens in GTA V then that would really bug me.

SIG-2.jpg

Lets not get to carried away though, maybe make the police better in some areas but not to life like, one thing i hated about Mafia 2 was that the police would pull you over for speeding, if that happens in GTA V then that would really bug me.

I agree with this, GTA needs to retain some of its police aspects as after all it is a mickey take on lifeand the police e.g. the amount of fat cops in GTA IV. But, I would enjoy some changes to the police like in the OP

The police in GTA are awful, even laughable.

Basic police driving training states you do NOT break the road traffic laws just because you've got blues and twos on. It's dangerous. In fact, one thing I'd like is the police to break of pursuit on health and safety grounds.

If the next GTA is set in London I'd love to see the police tied up filling out handover packs and use of force forms....

I agree with all of these suggestions except #5. I don't want to get in trouble for hitting other cars, causing a little property damage, or cutting someone off, that's going a little too far in my opinion. But everything else you listed are great ideas. And I also agree with Gtafreak102, lady cops would be nice to see.

Original Light

1 correction, a P.I.T in an Intersection!? Not a good idea, in real life they do it on empty streets or an area thats open enough that would not put pedestrians or other vehicles in danger. A car whiping out in an Intersection from a P.I.T is going to be madness. wow.gif

But I see your point on how police actions should change. In the GTA III Era, it could be forgiven, but now with the Technology we have, it is more than possible to do what you said, if not even better. No excuses Rockstar! biggrin.gif

WF the Hobgoblin

While I agree with the other points, the OP's fifth point would be far too irritating in my opinion. I like realism but too much can easily take the fun out of the game.

I too would like them to add female cops, and just a greater variety of police character models in general. There was too many fat cops in IV. The same goes for the FIB agents, why were they all grey haired, middle-aged men?

I'd also like to see them bring back the plainclothes detectives like in VC.

Definitely a thing that I would like to have in this next GTA is this:

When you're being followed by cops, in some kind of pursuit, and you can evade them and go to your safe house, you SHOULD be able to turn the TV on and WATCH YOUR OWN PURSUIT ON THE TV!! Wouldn't it be nice?! biggrin.gif ... but anyways, in order to turn it more realistic, it would ONLY be able to record when you got a 3 star wanted level, which is when the helicopters start to follow you... and then appears the NEWS CHOPPER that starts recording your pursuit! lol.gif

I know that this idea isn't very useful, but however it would be really nice, although it might need some work to make it happen, of course...

Officer Tenpenny is a bad man

They already have the police realistic take tenpenny from GTASA and francis from GTA 4 for example.

They already have the police realistic take tenpenny from GTASA and francis from GTA 4 for example.

Read the topic again, we are not talking about those cops.

Yl8KS.jpg

Racecarlock

I agree with everything except traffic laws. See, I'm one of those people who drives like a maniac all the time, and I get enough wanted stars from pedestrians stuck and attack on a vehicle. I don't want to also have to use the wanted code every time I crash too. That'd be too much.

I'd like to see more realistic police chatter. The dispatcher in IV just sounds bored. We need police that sound serious, scared, excited, focused and things like that. Realistic police chatter makes it feel more like you're actually evading the authorities, and you can play need for speed most wanted for proof of that. Also, I'd like to see more than just 2 kinds of police car. Maybe some of them could drive sports cars, others armored cars. The buffalo is a start, but I think they could utilize a much broader variety of vehicles. Also they need to back off when too many officers get killed or when it gets to risky or something. Like "Caught with your pants down" in TBOGT, where you blew up the cops until you lost all of your wanted stars. I think this would improve the game.

I like a lot of these ideas but like others have said #5 could be irritating. However, it's just as irritating when you accidentally hit a cop car in the middle of a mission and then have to get rid of them. Your idea of pulling over and getting a ticket could be a good alternative to a 1 star wanted level. Maybe to avoid jeopardizing the mission you pull over and take a $500 ticket and move on.

Mainland Marauder

Just merged the more recent police topic with the older one.

And yes "Officer tenpenny is a bad man" we are indeed talking about the "regular" cops who chase you when you have a wanted level, not police officers in storylines.

"You tell me exactly what you want, and I'll explain to you very carefully why it cannot be."

• 1 month later...
grope_4_that_date

Just thought of a new idea -

What if we have the choice to FOLLOW the law, outside of the story-mode of course.

Why would we want to follow the law you ask?

A: Well, because breaking it will be very dangerous and risky, plus there are consequences. Instead of stealing a police car to access the police database, you can go to the police station and use their public computer. Stealing a police car could get you Busted, and you'll loose 4-10% of your money (depending on your crime) and you'll have to buy your guns back.

Instead of stealing a car in broad daylight. I want to be able to purchase a car. For example, In the beginning of the game. I'll only be able to afford a crappy 2-car piece of sh*t. I'll be more focused in mission, because I'll want to get a better one. As I progress, more cars could be available to purchase. Stealing a car in broad daylight is too risky. I don't to unless I have to.

Infact, I have another great idea. What if you can store your guns in your safehouse. That way, you don't have to carry them all if you don't want to. Why would you not want to carry them? Well because if you get Busted, you lose them all. (which happens in every GTA) Plus it would be pretty sweet to have a gun collection at home. Kinda like Whitey had.

Infact, I have another great idea. What if you can store your guns in your safehouse. That way, you don't have to carry them all if you don't want to. Why would you not want to carry them? Well because if you get Busted, you lose them all. (which happens in every GTA) Plus it would be pretty sweet to have a  gun collection at home. Kinda like Whitey had.

Bring this on please! icon14.gif

It would be really sweet to have this feature...

grope_4_that_date

You could have a whole gun closet/room.

user posted image

Edited by grope_4_that_date

Plus, we could save some ammo somewhere around the house... just in case of we not having the "save your guns at home" feature.

EDIT:---------------------------------

Also, we could have a "duplicate weapon" feature. Something like having a M4 with 300 bullets... and we could choose to duplicate the weapon + save 150 bullets from it.

So this way, when we die or get arrested, we can just drive to the safehouse and re-collect our duplicated weapons!

NICE! cool.gif

Edited by _GTAFREAK_

grope_4_that_date

I added a section about hotwiring.

That car purchasing idea sounds great, as long as I can still steal a sports car or spawn one and maybe change the license plate (if you stole it) so you can keep the stolen sports car. Following the law isn't exactly my strong suit in GTA considering the relatively cheap respawn and I'm not hurting anyone in real life. Plus you have to remember that the game literally shares the name with the crime of car theft, so don't make car theft impossible.

grope_4_that_date
That car purchasing idea sounds great, as long as I can still steal a sports car or spawn one and maybe change the license plate (if you stole it) so you can keep the stolen sports car. Following the law isn't exactly my strong suit in GTA considering the relatively cheap respawn and I'm not hurting anyone in real life. Plus you have to remember that the game literally shares the name with the crime of car theft, so don't make car theft impossible.

Of course. I want the ability to kill thousands of people with a flamethrower. I want to steal cars from innocent pedestrians. However, the problem is, whenever I steal a car in broad daylight, with hundreds of witnesses around, and I don't get a wanted level. It makes me feel like I'm playing a game. It gets boring.

Red Dead Redemption captured this perfectly.

I hope GTA5 is more like RDR, Manhunt, and Metal Gear Solid (in terms of the AI).

Of course. I want the ability to kill thousands of people with a flamethrower. I want to steal cars from innocent pedestrians. However, the problem is, whenever I steal a car in broad daylight, with hundreds of witnesses around, and I don't get a wanted level. It makes me feel like I'm playing a game. It gets boring.

Red Dead Redemption captured this perfectly.

I hope GTA5 is more like RDR, Manhunt, and Metal Gear Solid (in terms of the AI).

That's fine. Just don't give me an instant wanted level for stealing the car. The pedestrians HAVE to have at least gotten past dialing 911 first before any stars are given. This way, if I steal a car and only one or two people see it, I could ram their asses to death or crush the cellphone or both and get away with the theft. Think about it. Plus, some peds shouldn't have cell phones, like the homeless for example. Also, no wanted level for taking cars that you've spawned with in game cheats. I'm glad that hasn't come back from vice city and I hope it stays that way.

Edited by Racecarlock

K9 units FTW! Imagine trying to outrun a german shepherd! Before you say, "Oh PETA will be all over it!" F*CK PETA!

user posted image

And now we play the waiting game...

The cops should act stupid in some cases and then yet again act smart. It would be awesome if the same cop would chase you down the city and just tailgate & look for you until your wanted level vanishes.

By that I mean that they shouldn't disappear/appear like in GTA's previously, they should keep their damage or something.