The Wanted Level System

grope_4_that_date

grope_4_that_date

For those who think my various ideas (such as tasers) would get annoying - well - I agree. They certainly would get annoying. But keep in mind, I'm not saying these things would happen all the time. In fact, it would happen so less-frequently you would eventually be saying "I really hope I get tasered!" OR it could go like this:

You become so familiar with it, you know how to avoid it. Cops will yell "Freeze right there!", and you'll stop. As they cops get at close rang, you decide to run - and zap - you're down no the ground. [All your friends watching laugh.]

These are strategies on how cops can take you down.

NO JAIL TIME - NO COURT SYSTEMS - NO RIDING IN THE POLICE CAR

vertical limit

Exactly but what happens if you tase some one in water?

same thing as if you taze someone on dry land. it's an urban myth about water being a good conductor - it's a conductor, but not a good one. people are better conductors ( owing to salts etc ), and many other things are far better conductors than water. a tazer doesn't depend on you touching the ground or anything like that ( you can still get tazed wearing heavy rubber boots ) - there are two leads that are shot into your skin and a current passes between them. being in water doesn't prevent that from happening.

for the game, i wouldn't want to start drowning on account of being stunned ( although that would be realistic ), just to be immobilized for the duration.

note about cop behaviour being annoying -- it should be. getaways are cheap enough as it is, and i'm put off a bit anyway by the fact that i don't hesitate to jack a car or shoot a ped that pisses me off right in front of a police cruiser. i wouldn't mind the cops being a little bit more annoying at all; just means i'd have to become more skillful. sort of like people complaining about random traffic pulling in front of you while you're flying around town in a stolen car breaking every possible traffic law - you really want it to be that easy? that takes the fun out of it. not really interested in "press A to win game"

grope_4_that_date

That wouldn't happen. It would be a glitch.

Also gents, I updated the original post. Check out the new section: Stories from the Future

If you somehow kill too many members of the National Guard, they will retreat and you have another 3 minutes before ALL members of the law are out to kill you. You can't kill off these guys, you just have to escape.

I don't like this one. It's just unrealistic. Give them extra armor instead. After killing the National Guard long enough, they should use things like sniper teams, air strikes, f*cking secret stealth agents but unlimited health ruins the fun. We wouldn't be able to get moment like ''What the... you're on a cop shootout for over 50 minutes?!'' without hiding.

vertical limit

I'd have to agree with Mati on this one.

Rockstar20124

Some really great ideas. I would love to see some sort of Metal Gear Solid radar when you have commited a crime. Where you see which direction the cops are looking at. Maybe there should be a timer too that counts to zero when alerted. And then one star would go away. Then again a slower timer perhaps which also counts down etc. till there are zero stars.

Talking about cops. I really want the LOCK WANTED LEVEL cheat back from SA. I hate when I am doing Vigilante missions in GTA IV the police interfere all the time. And before you actually can begin the killing, you have to race like an idiot to the location because of the countdown timer. In which you bump into a police car frequently. And then the police start to chase you. Very annoying angry.gif This is also the case with the Gang Wars with TLAD. Lots of spawning enemies. Police start to interfere. One big chaotic mess. Not in a good way. Also, Locking on the highest Wanted Level could be great fun too. Especially with a GOD MODE / INVINCIBLE cheat on biggrin.gif

Anyway, I am interested how the police will be in GTA V. What about police dogs??? I definitely want police motorcycles back. For playing Vigilante on a bike cool.gif Or should there be a portable police radio you can use on any vehicle??? And of course a portable flashing police light you can put on top of your vehicle. Just like The Naked Gun biggrin.gif

The police light sequence starts at 3.06. But the intro is hilarious biggrin.gif Is that Kadhafi? tounge.gif

Here is a GTA IV version cool.gif

If you somehow kill too many members of the National Guard, they will retreat and you have another 3 minutes before ALL members of the law are out to kill you. You can't kill off these guys, you just have to escape.

I don't like this one. It's just unrealistic. Give them extra armor instead. After killing the National Guard long enough, they should use things like sniper teams, air strikes, f*cking secret stealth agents but unlimited health ruins the fun. We wouldn't be able to get moment like ''What the... you're on a cop shootout for over 50 minutes?!'' without hiding.

No, I meant you can't kill so many of them that they stop coming. You can kill them, but they continue to come back like in all the other GTAs.

in gta ivthey shoot you for resisting arrest i doubt they do that. killsomone because they tried escaping. in the annihilator when the police have it they should use the explosive bullets biggrin.gif and the police should have apc's when you get 6stars

grope_4_that_date

I want to be able to run from the police.

Grand Theft Auto V

Breaking Laws and Running from the Police

Play Me:

user posted image

Purpose of thread:

Here are some of my ideas on what needs to change with the wanted system, but I'd like to hear yours. What do you think should change? Do you think it's flawed or perfect? Should GTA5 be more like Red Dead Redemption? What weapons/tools should the police have? Should segways be in the game? Please comment!

Take note:

Not all these ideas are original. If you did not read this or originally assume this, well... that is on YOU not me. Again, some ideas here are ideas Rockstar already has created.

Introduction

Let's face it, breaking the law in Grand Theft Auto was just not fun as fun as it used to be. There was no excitement. It should be thrilling to run from the cops, shouldn’t it? You should feel like you have something to lose. Please give me your ideas. I will add them. This thread represents everything that needs to be fixed with the police. This is what Grand Theft Auto is all about, hence the title of the thread.

HUD: Heads Up Display

• The HUD for your wanted level will be different.

• A blinking wanted level indicates that the cops know your exact location.

• A plain red circle means they are searching for you.

• Now, all police officers have indicated views (even when you're not wanted), similar to the computer game 'The Classroom'.

user posted image

Notable Features

• Rarely any fat cops.

• Avoiding the cops will be much harder.

• Getting caught will make you lose all your weapons.

• Similar to Red Dead Redemption, you will be charged depending on how many crimes you committed.

• Cops run.

• You won't get a wanted level for doing petty crimes, like pushing people over, cops will just say, "Hey, don't do that!"

• For One and Two star wanted levels, Cops will only fire if fired upon.

• During One and Two star wanted level, the police will run and tackle you to arrest you.

• Police now have tasers, which will make the player fall to the ground, similar to catching on fire (without the fire of course).

• Think of the cops as an anti-virus program- you'll be the virus.

• The player can buy items in stores, unless the cop is in the same store/restaurant.

• Taxi cabs can be used during a wanted level, but not in sight of the police.

• Bait cars are RARELY seen in the game, it will only happen once in the entire game, in which when you steal a car, you will automatically gain a four star wanted level.

• Trespassing in certain areas that say no trespassing will give you a 1 star wanted level

Witnesses

• Witnesses will be similar to RDR. You can kill them, but other witnesses might see you and your crime will double.

• Car alarms alert witnesses.

• If you steal a car with no one around, you won't get caught.

• Stealing a car will be something you need to learn early on in the game. At first you can't steal a car.

• One of the first missions will be stealing a car, learning how to hot-wire a car.

• Hot-wiring requires no real skill, other than pressing 'Triangle', but it has to be learned first.

One Star Wanted Level

user posted image

• Officers only shoot if they feel threatened.

• Cops do not have backup.

• Officers run fast depending on the severity of the crime.

• Officers tackle you to the ground to arrest you. You can tap ‘A’ to try to escape, but officers will then hit and kick you.

• Officers usually attempt to handcuff you. If you press ‘A’ before they arrest you, you can escape while handcuffed. You will not be able to use your hands.

• Officers will arrest you at gunpoint in vehicles.

• Officers shoot your tires (accurately) if you try to flee in a vehicle.

• If you escape in a vehicle you will automatically attain a two star wanted level.

• If you’re already in a vehicle, you have 3 minutes to pull over your car. Otherwise you’ll get a two star wanted level.

Two Star Wanted Level

user posted image

• All cops run / or take cover if fired upon.

• Cops have backup.

• Cops will not try to handcuff you; they use tasers, or sometimes guns.

• Police officers usually arrest the player by aiming their tasers (or sometimes gunpoint — if the player is in a vehicle, the protagonist surrenders immediately; if on foot, the player can resist arrest by running away and/or fighting back, however this will cause a cop to taser you. You most likely will fall to the ground.

Three Star Wanted Level

user posted image

• The first "serious" wanted level.

• Now, the police will form road blocks manned by just two police cars.

• Cops will start setting up Spike strips (rare).

Four Star Wanted Level

user posted image

• Cops start setting up more road blocks; all road blocks will have spike strips.

• The search area is gets larger.

Five Star Wanted Level

user posted image

• FBI takes over.

• All officers employ more advanced driving techniques, such as the PIT maneuver, as they try to make the player spin out of control and crash.

•NOOSE cruisers and NOOSE patriots will no dissapear and make room for more NOOSE enforcers, FIB buffalo's, police patrols and police cruisers.

Six Star Wanted Level

user posted image

• You better hope you have armor.

• The army completely takes over.

• The tanks usually fire at you.

• A six star wanted level is rare. You most likely won’t make it this far.

• Road blocks are on just about every corner.

Stories from the Future

John L. Bate:

Wow - this new wanted system is awesome. I just got the game today. The first thing I did was try to steal this car in this grocery store parking lot. There was a woman in a shopping cart pushing her carriage. I waited for her to pass, then I smashed the window of the car and successfully hot-wired it. Oh man it was so easy - and yet - so thrilling. I drove out of there thinking I was fine, but then a minute later I heard some computer voice say "Bait car - bait car - you are screwed - system shutting down." And then the car just stopped! Three seconds later... I immediately got a four star wanted level. Soon I was surrounded by ten cop cars. Let's just say I didn't make it out of there alive.

Oliver Sudden:

Oh man, something I never expected happened. I recently started fighting random pedestrians. It was fun but after five minutes some witness called the police. I didn't even notice. Sooner or later a police car pulled up. He snuck up behind me and told me to freeze. I figured I could outrun him, but he already put me in the freeze position. I decided to run - but that didn't work. Because he friggen tasered me! What the hell! I wasn't expecting that. I couldn't move at all, but it was still pretty damn hilarious.

Chris Cross:

Check this sh*t out. I had a four star wanted level. The cops were everywhere. I was hiding in a warehouse. I must have killed 100 people. Bang! Bang! Bang! They were all dead. Then I got five stars. I was nervous. Then, the cops threw a smoke grenade. Then another. What the hell! This was supposed to be easy. Then, the cops threw another one and now I couldn't see sh*t. I was freaking out. So I tried to run out the door, but this cop tasered me. Ahh sh*t!! Before I knew it I was busted. Now I lost all my weapons and a lot of my money. sad.gif

Stan Still:

Alright, so it was dark and I was bored. So I threw a rock at a police car. It was funny, but soon his siren's went off and I was like - oh sh*t. I got a one star wanted level - and the cop ran out of his car and started chasing me. WTF he was running fast! I was like - oh sh*t again - so then I started running too. I ran into this person's yard and the motion censor light's when off. I jumped over a fence - he was still chasing me. More lights went off. I was running for like five minutes - jumping over bushes, dodging corners, etc. etc. I even ran through this yard with the sprinklers on. He was still behind me, and then - my character started running slow. Oh sh*t - he tackled me to the ground. And now I'm busted. Figures... I threw a rock at the only black cop in the game.

Ivan Busted:

Ok, so I figured it'd be funny to get caught by the police. I've been playing for about an hour and I wanted to see what would happen. So, I pushed a lady over in the park, who was near a cop. The cop said "hey, don't do that!" I didn't get a star. So I pushed the cop over. Bang, one star! YES! Then he pulled out his gun and told me to freeze. So I did. He began to put handcuffs on me - but I pressed A! And started to run! YES!! HAHA!! I was running while handcuffed through the steets and this fat cop couldn't catch me. It was funny, but I was kinda screwed. I couldn't move my hands. But I still kept running. It sucked tho cause I got to the dead end fence and I couldn't jump. Then the cop arrested me.

i'll find a way of beating them suicidal.gif if you kill instead of running you'll be alive much longer and you can hang aroundin a helicopter

I like the topic, seems like a good work, and that's something I've got to appreciate! cool.gif

I've noticed that you haven't got too many things in the 4 star wanted level, so I come with something. Only one line for now.

When you've got a four star wanted level, there should be cops chasing you on bikes. Either two on a bike or one and they to do drive-by, shooting your wheels.

Tell me what do you think about this!

@ DotsDots, you don't need to quote the whole frigging post. Simply use the "Add Reply" or the "Fast Reply" buttons if you want to add a new post to this topic. Just a friendly reminder.

Dead (Retired)

1st gtaROCKER

These ideas are brilliant! I hope this is one of the forums that rahkstar2.gif watches.

*Official GTAFNS Forums Member*

.:See Official Topic for the Link:.

.:PM me for details:.

grope_4_that_date
When you've got a four star wanted level, there should be cops chasing you on bikes. Either two on a bike or one and they to do drive-by, shooting your wheels.

Tell me what do you think about this!

Love it. Added.

LCollusions

Also, the cops having heads up view, is a bad idea, what if they look back or are turning back while facing forth?

grope_4_that_date
Also, the cops having heads up view, is a bad idea, what if they look back or are turning back while facing forth?

Play this game: The Classroom 3

I want a long-term wanted level system. Like, say you murder some cops and manage to get away from say, a four-star wanted level. I think it's dumb that you get away with no repercussions. In real life if you killed a cop or did the majority of the sh*t you do in GTA, the police would hunt you down FOREVER. So if you manage to get away from a wanted level, it should come back at some point. If you narrowly escape a drug deal sting or a murder, the police should still be after you in an investigation. You'd have to cover your tracks or else you'd be caught in a sting and arrested at a random time. Imagine you are getting lunch at Burger Shot after getting away from your bank robbery the other day, only for a dozen police cruisers and a helicopter to surround the business and give you a three star wanted level because they finally got you.

This may seem stupid, but it would make the game more interesting in my opinion. And if you didn't want this attention, you can just get arrested and take the loss to get it over with, or you could pay off your debt to society in the same way you could in Red Dead Redemption. Maybe a contact on the police force could clear your profile for you as a favor.

Notable Features

• Rarely any fat cops.

• Avoiding the cops will be much harder.

• Getting caught will make you lose all your weapons.

• Cops run.

• For One and Two star wanted levels, Cops will only fire if fired upon.

• Police now have tasers, which will make the player fall to the ground, similar to catching on fire (without the fire of course).

• Bait cars are RARELY seen in the game, it will only happen once in the entire game, in which when you steal a car, you will automatically gain a four star wanted level.

Just a few points that I thought I'd bring up in relation to the points which you have given in the original post.

I thought that the main reason for the police being fat was as a caricature of the police system in the USA. This is also a tie-in with a lot of the lines that the police say during the game, such as "I need another doughnut." If you remove the fat policeman character from the game completely you effectively negate the humour which they provide. And just because a policeman is a little on the large side doesn't mean that they aren't quick across the ground to take you down.

I am of the opinion that the current standard of police detection is perfectly fine. At the end of the day the ability of the police to find you should depend on two elements. Your position on the map and your wanted level. Both of these are in effect to increase the police density in the area which you are in. If you have a low wanted level or are in an area with lower police presence then they should take longer to find you than if you are in the middle of a city block with a 4 star wanted level on your head.

I hated this feature in other games which have employed it. I don't want to have to restock my armory every time I get caught, especially if the police are going to be much better at detection and have better weapons as you have set out in your post. However I do think that a bribery scheme should be in place whereby if you have enough cash on you the police will let you free with all of your weaponry but with a small dent in your bank account. Either that or you have a wealthy friend (girlfriend perhaps) who bankrolls you and stops you from getting your weapons taken away from you because he/she is well respected among the police force.

I thought cops did run, I have to say. Although this may not be a bad idea I think that the police should generally be calm in situations. Maybe during a full-blown gunfight you'll see policemen taking cover and running but at 1 and 2 stars their priority should be to negotiate and end the bloodshed before others get hurt.

My understanding of the situation in GTA IV is that firing on a policeman with a small wanted level results in your wanted level getting bumped up to a 3 star wanted level. Perhaps you could code it in such a way that you can take away 1/2 of an officer's health before they up your wanted level. Until that point your only option is to frantically switch between officers and avoid headshots until you can make a break for freedom.

I don't like tasers because I don't like the feeling of helplessness which you have when you are fitting on the ground, losing health, and you can't do anything to rectify the situation. I also don't think that the tasers would play a large role in the GTA universe. Unless you are face to face with an officer at a certain distance or are stupid enough to let them sneak up on you then you'd hardly ever come into contact with the taser. However what wouldn't be so bad is if when you have a 2 star wanted level and the police are trying to negotiate, if you then pulled out a gun the police would tase you and immobilise you before you could shoot anyone. However I don't think that tasers are as big in America as they are in Britain and Australia, so that may cause problems...

I like the idea of the bait cars and I just have a few things to add:

1. Locations:

Bait cars would be placed down in alleys, away from the general populace. There would also be a time window when the cars are most likely to be deployed, probably between midnight and 4 in the morning, when most parked car robberies occur. There would be no bait cars in more well to do areas. So using the example of IV we'd have most of the cars deployed in Bohan, Broker, Dukes and in the industrial areas of Alderney and none deployed in Algonquin.

2. Types of car:

I'd expect the cars that were used to be run-down and rusty models. There wouldn't be many high-end bait cars for the reason that the police wouldn't want the risk of losing an Infernus if the player were to get away with it.

3. Types of bait mechanism employed by the police:

I could see there being two methods which the police could use to outfox criminals:

The first would be simply that you get a wanted level for getting into the car whilst the second method would be that after a while you get the wanted level and the car locks down and you stop and can't get out. Your only hope is to wait for the police to come by and let you out and then to fight them off. However that may be very difficult due to the high wanted level. A timer in the top right of the screen would let you know that you'd just got into the bait car and you'd have a certain time period to get out of the car and escape before the police arrived. This second method would generally be used for higher-end cars because the police are guaranteed to be able to recover the cars, either with you in them or after you leave. Unless you become a bit angry and destroy the car, which could always be a possibility.

Racecarlock

Soon I won't be able to get away with anything in this game, will I? I won't even be able to park incorrectly. You know, getting away with big crimes is one of the reasons I play GTA. Now people think I shouldn't get away with anything. Speeding? Prison time. Bad parking? Prison time. Running red lights? Not in this world, buster. I guess I'll have to stick with Saints Row for anything remotely fun from now on.

Cash High

Cool wanted system. I always enjoyed running from the army, and was disappointed when it was left out of GTA IV. Attack helicopters like an AH -64 Apache would also make chases much more fun.

You got some nice ideas there homie, I digg.

Especially the indicated view - thing, been thinking about something like it for a while.

For general cop system, I co-sign almost everything you write, except for a few things - I personally don't like the whole Army thing that much, but that varies and I seem to be a part of a minority.

I also got a different opinion about 1-star wanted level - despite showing up as a wanted level, it would be more of a "extra supervision" mode, where cops try to slowly surround you, gather up a few patrol cars, or simply, send an officer to follow you around for a while - the player couldn't be arrested, but the cops would try to harrass you a bit, get a connection to tell you to fix your behavior, or show you your way out if you're in a no-tresspass zone, a fresh idea pointed out by the OP.

As long as the player behaves correctly, the cops wouldn't try to arrest him, just spook him, until the player does something bad - unholsters their weapon, hits someone or simply commits a crime. Alternatively, this could, instead of a one-star level, be something in between zero and one stars.

Also, borrowing ideas from Midnight Club: Los Angeles, I'd like for the "Police Searching" mode (the one with the wanted stars flashing and everything) to last longer, like it does in MCLA, and plus, be more different - in IV, the cops behave normally, the only difference is that you re-obtain your wanted level by popping up, in V, it should be deeper - cops should really put their emphasis on finding the player, concentrate the searching into the zone and the zones surrounding the zone the player was last seen in, plus, you know what would be super cool?

Helicopters flying all around with the spotlight! If the spotlight notices you, bam, you're screwed again.

8wjrzl.png

Prodigalsunz

How about getting a ticket instead of getting shot on sight or arrested at lowest

wanted level.

Thats what cops do to me in real life anyway angry.gif

Say you're driving around with one wanted level, the cops would

follow you and make you pull over.

If you do you'll just get a fine, if you don't your wanted level will increase.

The police should be able to search your car but this would only be worth it if we had the ability to store bodies and drugs in the car. You should be able to pick up dead bodies and hide them in your car boot. With regards to drugs, you should be able to sell drugs as a sort of side mission. To go to drug deals you should have to put the money or drugs in the boot.

Police should pull you over for random searches every now and again or if you commit a traffic violation (bumping a cop car). However, I think they should only search your car for a traffic violation if you get arsey with the cops when they pull you over. First of all they give you a ticket and if you refuse to pay they get a bit more violent (Force you to ground or hit legs with night stick) and try to subdue you (Grab arms). They will then begin to search the car and if they find anything suspicious they will arrest you. Some cops will arrest you for just hitting their car but you will only receive a small fine and a few hours in jail where you will not loose any of your weapons. For all 1 star wanted felony's you should be able to keep your weapons after being arrested.

grope_4_that_date

Helicopters flying all around with the spotlight! If the spotlight notices you, bam, you're screwed again.

Exactly. You should be able to see the spotlight on the ground while you're running. You can take cover under a bridge to avoid it - cops run over the bridge and you're go unnoticed.

That's what I want. Running from the police. That's what I'm trying to get across!

Hide & Seek. Cops & Robbers. Manhunt meets GTA5.

BrownBear

An interesting thing with the witness system could be area specific.

Say you steal a car in an affluent location, they will alert police immediately.

But if you steal a car in an impoverished area people will hesitate to alert the police.

LCollusions

Play this game: The Classroom 3

Yeah, but this is GTA, with real humans, and not circles, I played that game before, who hasn't? (Love it) But the circle could turn around at any moment and their bodies go with it, Cops can tilt their heads back and still be walking forward, that's gonna be confusing, everything else is perfect for me, except for the Heads Up View.

• 2 months later...
Los Santos Pedestrian

Okay, this is something I'm suggesting for GTA V. It's that police officers shouldn't just start shooting at you if you resist arrest, or don't just come up to you and shoot. Here are some things I'll suggest be changed:

1. Surrender at will. If you're in a gunfight, and you're out of ammo or you don't want to go on a cop killing spree anymore, you should be able to surrender at your own will, at any time you have a wanted level. After you surrender, you put your hands up and get down on your knees. Then an officer will approach you, take any weapons you have, and then slap the cuffs on. Then the screen goes black and you spawn at the police station like always.

2. Realistic police actions. I don't think it's that realistic that, if you're in a gunfight, the police just run up to you and attempt to kill you. They should retreat if they are under heavy fire, approach with caution if you stop firing for a while, and also be scared if you pull out a gun and they don't have one out. And if you don't shoot at them, then they shouldn't shoot at you.

3. Realistic police tactics. If you're going up a building, the police will follow, you, like real life. I say that's realistic enough, but also they should check rooms and stuff, and also look around when they get to another floor.

4. Good police drivers. I don't really like how police officers just swerve around and stuff. They should be really good drivers, and even if you're at high speeds at a one-star wanted level, they should still drive as fast as you do, but still keep their distance. And in many occasions, they should do PIT maneuvers is the have the chance at intersections or on the freeway. They should also try to stop you on the side of the road as much as they can.

5. Police pull the player over. If the player hits another car and drives away, hits benches or signs, or cut off police cruisers, the officer should follow the player and turn the emergency lights on. Then the player should pull over to the side of the road, and he might get a ticket or even get arrested. And if the player doesn't pull over after a while of being followed, then the police officer tells the player to pull over with the bullhorn.

So what do you say? Are these good suggestions?