RDR flavoured films

Barry Spock

Barry Spock

Hey dudes,

first, I hope this is the right section for this thread.

I have been playing RDR on and off for a month or two. I really like it, but it's a little harder to get into than GTA4. The atmosphere is really distinct, even for an aussie like me.

Here's the question: What films have you seen that are set in the same era/place as RDR?

This could be helpful for people who haven't studied this part of history, and people who aren't USian.

1. True Grit. I saw this just in January. Coen brothers movie. (I got the warhorse DLC and named my hose Blackie biggrin.gif )

2. There Will Be Blood. Maybe that film is set a few years after RDR's time, but they both have the old style oil derricks.

3. Sergio Leone's movies --> A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly --> all awesome movies and obviously very inspirational to the makers of RDR re the look of it.

Any other suggestions?

Well, yeah. You're essentially talking about the Western -- the most prolific, enduring genre in the history of the medium. There are hundreds of films which could apply here, but you'd be best looking for Westerns made post-1960, when guidelines were relaxed and the concept of a 'hero' was redefined, allowing a more morally ambiguous protagonist to take the lead. Leone's films are a great place to start. Not being American productions, they helped with this redefinition, in that most of the American sensibilities and conventions were either not known about, or ignored. Make sure you also watch Once Upon a Time in the West, as well as the Dollars Trilogy.

Otherwise, just do a search for the best Westerns of all time, or something. It'd simply take too long to write an adequate list of films which apply.

vbSWr1A.gif

I would suggest The Wild Bunch. It's set around the same time as Red Dead Redemption during the later years of 'The Wild West'. It was almost certainly used as inspiration by Rockstar to create Red Dead Redemption such as the bloody opening scene which is similar to the mission where John helps out Ross in chasing Dutch's gang after they rob a bank in Blackwater. Plus the Mexican Revolution makes an appearance as well with a character that clearly inspired the Mexican Colonel from Red Dead Redemption.

Keeping with that theme of the later years of the Wild West, Unforgiven is a good one to go with. Then just Westerns in general, Sergio Leone's films is an obvious choice as makeshyft said. Then others I would recommend are Stagecoach, Rio Bravo, The Searchers, Shane, The Outlaw Josey Wales and True Grit (the original)

Well if you're a fan of Christian Bale and/or Russell Crowe I'd go with 3:10 to Yuma. It's an all right film in it's own respect, a personal favourite, even. It fits more on the side Make was talking about, where the 'hero' isn't exactly a gunslinging dueller, but it's just enough of that Western feel to really flesh it out.

kzgN7qp.png

• 2 weeks later...

Clint's westerns are always a hit. I'd also like to bring the movie Appaloosa to your attention. It's from 2008 and stars Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen. Brilliant piece of western, which has all the charm of older ones, with a modern production, and lots of discreet humour. You'll get lots of 'Oh, that's like in RDR'-moments. Well worth a watch. icon14.gif

Edited by Azazel

The Clint Eastwood films are probably what most people associate westerns with. A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good, the Bad & the Ugly are the best westerns ever in my opinion. You should probably check out the John Wayne films as well. The Searchers and Rio Bravo etc. Really good movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYV-JSjpyU&feature=related

The theme song of "The Good, the Bad & the Ugly" is iconic.

I haven't seen any of the modern westerns yet, True Grit and 3:10 to Yuma but people have said they're good.

user posted image

Modern westerns have sure given the genre new life. If you're anything like me and hate the classic John Wayne archetypal hero, you should definitely check out The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. It's two hours of riding and chatting, while making time for beating young boys. Actually, that doesn't do the movie justice at all... tounge.gif None the less, it's fabulous movie that's beautifully shot. Definitely in the upper echelon as far cinematography goes.

user posted imageuser posted image

Edited by Gronf

Yq5y51Y.png

WidowMaker
Well, yeah. You're essentially talking about the Western

Tell me more about this "Western."

FT2DB7K.png

Don Garcia

I'd also like to bring the movie Appaloosa to your attention.

Yes. Great entertainment, that film. A solid Western with two amazing leads in Ed and Viggo. It's really worth a watch just to see Viggo's incredible facial hair.

And of course, The Proposition. Loved it on first watch. The setting was so damn refreshing; Ray Winstone is so good, as is Guy Pearce, Danny Huston, and well, everybody.

PqF05jQ.jpg

BrownBear

I was just about to post The Proposition.

One of my favourite films ever. One of the most beautiful and emotional films I've ever seen.

The unflinchingly brutal violence; superbly acted and realistic characters; starkly beautiful scenery and a stirring soundtrack make this my favourite Western film.

Finn 7 five 11

Another great Coen Brothers movie for the OP is no country for old men, that is a very good movie, a fair bit of action in it as well, i liked it better personally than true grit.

Blazing Saddles.

darthYENIK

I would like to suggest two films.

The Quick and the Dead.

Sam Raimi's take on a western. A bit of a generic revenge story, but the characters are fun, and over the top violence is always good.

The Last Man Standing.

It may not have cowboys, but it's definitely a western. It's actually a western mixed with noire, which to me is like the Reese's formula for film, two great flavors that taste great together.

Barry Spock

Cool! I totally forgot this thread was here. I just watched true grit again the other night.

I'll have to get on the ol Transmission and pull down some of these suggestions. Thanks.

We should do a crime ficiton/noire flavoured film thread too given LAN coming out soon.

• 2 months later...
Well if you're a fan of Christian Bale and/or Russell Crowe I'd go with 3:10 to Yuma. It's an all right film in it's own respect, a personal favourite, even. It fits more on the side Make was talking about, where the 'hero' isn't exactly a gunslinging dueller, but it's just enough of that Western feel to really flesh it out.

I've been trying to find it on used BluRay, but even used DVDs are hard to locate around here! I would recommend the upcoming new release Cowboys and Aliens, does anyone know where there's a thread already here for that movie?

The hype is building, but I don't care one way or the other, I am SEEING THIS MOVIE!!

Harwood Butch3r

I remember just after getting RDR that I was was playing it that much I had to buy a couple of westerns. I bought Unforgiven and 3:10 To Yuma (The remake).

Slightly off topic: Do you guys get like that? If you play a game of a certain genre long enough you get the urge to buy/watch a movie that's very similar?

Adam Jensen

Well the most obvious choices have been mentioned already. Sergio Leone's western are the best in my opinion. When you see some of them you'll see that Rockstar drew a lot of inspiration from them. My favorite is "Once upon a time in The West". Also, no one mentioned Tombstone yet. Another great movie. Historical, but still awesome.

user posted imageuser posted image

Edited by GTAvanja

Cowboys and Aliens tied with the SMURFS movie, and this is something not too expected, where's the topic line of discussion for a Harrison Ford film? You guys know how famous the FORD name is associated with Westerns, yet, no discussion?? Sad to see, guys

I have to update because the morning show DJ on the radio this morning said he saw or heard there was a website dedicated to the discussions around HOW BAD the film is, so if it's a stinker, would you let that influence your decision to go see it, or have you and not commented? I'm GOING to see it, and enjoy it the same way I enjoyed Wild Wild West with Will Smith

I happen to think that movie was funny and interesting, but by no means was it perfect or better then average, it was still good entertainment, bottom line