Lustered Vehicles

Lord_Ant_Warrior

Lord_Ant_Warrior

Hi there, I've been doing a lot of experimenting lately with something I know a lot of people are interested in: Lustered Cars; or in simple terms, cars which have one paintjob, and then turn a completely different colour when viewed from a certain angle. Most of you may know that in this game, there are over 100 Uniquely coloured or lustered vehicles to collect from missions and side-missions. Uniquely coloured vehicles are usually FIXED during missions- for example Brucie's Rich Yellow Comet, is ALWAYS that colour when you load the mission up. The uniquely Bright Red Sabre GT Brucie asks for is ALWAYS that colour when you load the mission up, and so on. Uniquely lustered vehicles on the other hand are a complete enigma- What causes them? What determines whether the vehicle in the mission WILL be lustered or not? How is the luster colour determined?

There are a few "Unique Vehicle FAQ's" out there on the web (including a brilliant one by Lancet Jades) but for me, I don't think any of them are clear enough on the subject of lustered vehicles. There is a big list of lustered vehicles and I'm pretty sure a lot of people know the missions in which they are supposed to appear- but they don't always look lustered. Why is that? Answer is, because the missions lustered vehicles appear in randomly select the colour of the luster, but they also randomly select whether the vehicle will have a luster at all. In other words, just because a a certain car in a mission can have a luster, doesn't mean it WILL ALWAYS have a luster- the game decides that randomly. I had always thought that the cars which appear in missions are FIXED to have lusters, but that the luster itself comes in different strengths and so some are harder to see than others. While this is true to an extent, cars which have no visible luster at all under any light just are not lustered, simple as that. If you have a car which you took from a mission that should be lustered, but doesn't look so under ANY light, that's not because it has a bad luster, that means it doesn't have one at all.

Now, there is a way of actually cherry picking cars with the lusters you want, but it requires a lot of patience. You need to save your game before the mission in which your lustered car is due to appear, and basically you should start the mission- see if the car has the luster you desire (if it CLEARLY has a secondary colour visible in a certain light, then it IS lustered)- and if not, re-load your game. When I was doing this, the percentage of times a car appeared without a luster in a mission when it SHOULD have had a luster is completely random according to mission. For example, in "Hating The Haters", the Silver Comet appeared with a highly visible luster pretty much every time I re-loaded the game, although occasionally it appeared with no luster at all. But in the missions "Pegorino's Pride" and "Payback", the Lustered Black Shafter w/Sliver Grill and Mafia PMP 600 respectively appeared without a luster more often than not. Why is this? Who knows. My point is, that if you read on a Special Vehicle list that a car appears lustered in a mission, but you can't see that luster, just re-load the mission. Eventually you will get the car with a luster. Obviously it's tedious when you're constantly re-loading the game to get the colour of luster you want, but it's worth it in the end when you recieve your prize smile.gif

Sorry to disappoint you, but pearlascent colors can be achieved pretty easily by modifying the games files or using ingame trainers.

You see, a car paintjob has two colors: Color 1 and Color 3. (Extras or rims use Color 2 and 4). If you, for example, choose pure white as Color 1 and Color 3, you get a pale white car. But if you change Color 3, the reflection color, in certain angles you will see the color coming up. Using a trainer you can find the best combination of colors for pearlascence. Pretty much most light main colors and dark reflection colors work. Another important factor is the amount of dirt. A dirty car doesn't reflect much and you won't see the underlying color as good.

In the carcols.dat file, most cars are painted flat, with exeption of less common sports cars (Banshee is doing well). For others, it's completely random or not-existing. Only a few special cars or gang cars have features like this.

So yeah, there isn't really a pattern.

Lord_Ant_Warrior
Sorry to disappoint you, but pearlascent colors can be achieved pretty easily by modifying the games files or using ingame trainers.

You see, a car paintjob has two colors: Color 1 and Color 3. (Extras or rims use Color 2 and 4). If you, for example, choose pure white as Color 1 and Color 3, you get a pale white car. But if you change Color 3, the reflection color, in certain angles you will see the color coming up. Using a trainer you can find the best combination of colors for pearlascence. Pretty much most light main colors and dark reflection colors work. Another important factor is the amount of dirt. A dirty car doesn't reflect much and you won't see the underlying color as good.

In the carcols.dat file, most cars are painted flat, with exeption of less common sports cars (Banshee is doing well). For others, it's completely random or not-existing. Only a few special cars or gang cars have features like this.

That isn't disappointing- it's cheating. You can use a cheat to spawn an FIB Buffalo, but the actually taking one legitimately will always be more rewarding.

That isn't disappointing- it's cheating. You can use a cheat to spawn an FIB Buffalo, but the actually taking one legitimately will always be more rewarding.

That^, I agree...

Cartel Cruiser

I have a question for everyone. I love the patriot and I always get me one after the holland play. The one I got was really rare. Its an Ice colored Patriot but for some reason in certain light or angles the patriot looks white. Is this a luster?

^Yup.

@Lord_Ant_Warrior: Glad you posted this. I've used this method back then as well. The Super GT from Union Drive and Coquette from Payback looks very nice together in a parking spot. Also, I had a bit of a problem with this vehicle (Bryce Dawkins' Infernus) and it was this dark orange color that spawns. So the problem was that I was trying to get the light orange version of it but no matter how long or what I did to pick it up, it still spawned the dark orange color. In my other save file, I was able to get light orange version. Any ideas?

Lord_Ant_Warrior

I have a question for everyone. I love the patriot and I always get me one after the holland play. The one I got was really rare. Its an Ice colored Patriot but for some reason in certain light or angles the patriot looks white. Is this a luster?

I believe that is a luster. Those Patriots can be found in traffic I think? Some cars appear lustered in traffic quite often, but the lusters you can obtain from the missions are unique and never found normally.

I also have a theory that when you are driving a lustered vehicle it causes lustered vehicles to show up more often in traffic, although that is as yet untested so don't quote me on that.

Also, I had a bit of a problem with this vehicle (Bryce Dawkins' Infernus) and it was this dark orange color that spawns. So the problem was that I was trying to get the light orange version of it but no matter how long or what I did to pick it up, it still spawned the dark orange color. In my other save file, I was able to get light orange version. Any ideas?

I'm afraid that the game decides upon the colour of the Infernus Bernie gives you directly after the mission Buoys Ahoy. After that, the colour is fixed no matter how many times you leave and return- unfortunately. My advice is to save the game before Buoys Ahoy and just keep reloading if you don't recieve the right one.

Edited by Lord_Ant_Warrior

Cartel Cruiser

R u sure its a luster? I found it parked near PBX's after I did buisness after the holland play. Its an Ice colored but again in a certain time of the day it looks more white but at any other time it looks like an Ice silver color.

Also the patriots in Photo shoot have a luster to them but its super hard to see it in Yellow, just to throw some more info out there =)

Zeppelin 47110
R u sure its a luster? I found it parked near PBX's after I did buisness after the holland play. Its an Ice colored but again in a certain time of the day it looks more white but at any other time it looks like an Ice silver color.

Also the patriots in Photo shoot have a luster to them but its super hard to see it in Yellow, just to throw some more info out there =)

Where did you find this ice-colored Patriot? Is it found randomly in traffic? What I know is that lusters normally don't come in white (you can't see white lusters), maybe you got a white Patriot with a light blue luster biggrin.gif

As for the Patriot from Photo Shoot is this Playboy X's car parked in his parking spot, or the ones that are parked around the basketball court where you're supposed to take a picture?

PS. The Sabre GT in Photo Shoot can also be lustered, and it looks pretty good with a yellow luster (looks golden and glows under direct sunlight smile.gif

LCollusions

Nice thread, but I already knew this, just didn't know what those "special" vehicles were called, now I now! You helped me out in a way! I like how you managed your thread professionally.

Docfaustino

Found a black-with-a-green-luster Habanero (Lexus RS) today, regular traffic while hanging out with Packie? Is this rare? Or a general body color, like the lustered Voodoos.

Zeppelin 47110

Found a black-with-a-green-luster Habanero (Lexus RS) today, regular traffic while hanging out with Packie? Is this rare? Or a general body color, like the lustered Voodoos.

Some lustered cars seem to also be found in traffic, but very rare. Your Habanero might be a rare one, or it might just be a dark green Habanero because a luster applied to a black car makes it look like it's just a (color of the luster)-colored car.

It would be real nice for a silver/white or blue car to have a strong red luster, I have 4 cars like that tounge.gif

Cartel Cruiser

im going to describe my Patriot inlove.gif the best way i can.

My assumption is that my patriot was a glitch. i have seen it once outside of missions and never again. i think my patriot is based on the http://www.lynchhummer.com/Changes/h2chang...lverice.700.jpg. thats the Limited Edition Ice Hummer H2.

My Patriot comes in an ice color like that one in the picture. but in sun light or sometimes in the shade it looks White. not gray, not silver, but white. even sometimes going far away from my patriot it looks White. it's front grill seems to also match the color of the car.

Im not trying to brag about it, nor am i lieing about it. My patriot is on my PS3, and i would take a picture of it but i dont know how to upload pics.

so thats my ICE Patriot inlove.gif =] im not sure if is a luster tho

Zeppelin 47110--- i found my ice-coloured Patriot in Bohan. My Dark Grey Patriot with a Yellow Luster i found it in Photo shoot around the basketball courts.

I again think My Ice Patriot is either a Glitch or a Patriot with a White Luster? im not sure. -________-

Edited by Cartel Cruiser

LCollusions

I've seen lots off white and gray and silver Patriots so it is hard describing if that's a luster or not.

Docfaustino

Many lustered cars seem to hide out in the late 3rd/4th Chapter missions, mostly those that involve Pegorino. For instance. In one replay of 'Entourage', the convoy cars were black with a blue luster. On a reload, they were black with red lusters, which is how I got my current ride. Anyone know of any other lusters that spawn in the late missions?

Also, I can't recall the mission, but here's the Russian gang car Schafter. Notice the blacked out rims and modified front end.

user posted image

The gang Schafter (black) has a modified front-end and blacked-out rims. During East As Can Be (fairly sure) a Schafter spawned just like the usual gang variant, minus the silly modified front end. Unfortunately, it appears within the time I found it (2 months ago) to today, someone has editing GTA Wikia and posted it out. So. Can't claim I was the first.

Cartel Cruiser

I found a new lustered car. Dwayne's patriot that his crew comes in is a unique Blood Red Patriot. But I don't know if this is rare but my came with a Orange luster to it.

My ice patriot I will upload if someone can teach me how to upload pics.

• 2 weeks later...

If reloading a save game over and over feels rewarding to you, by all means!

Same reason why some people never bothered with those useless pigeons... "but you're cheating!!" Yeah, well, I can get an Annihilator from the cell phone instead of hunting 200 pigeons like an idiot.

• 1 month later...
Docfaustino

I've been driving Stratums for about 5 months now. I know of all the paintjobs. I generally play Free Modes, but last night when I tried a TDM, I found a lustered car. I've never seen this in single player or Free Mode. The Stratum I found had the same black with a green luster paintjob as the Super GT. Has anyone else encountered this? Could be a rare coding error.