Would You Update Every Week?

LongHairedFreakyGuy

LongHairedFreakyGuy

After asking in the Questions topic, it seems that this idea would actually be possible. The idea was that companies could send out an update Via your Connection to whichever console you use, which would change the games content in some way, whether it be a minor change or a massive change.

I first thought of this idea way back in the day when I played III for the first time ever, and came across that street with road works on in St. Marks. I thought it would be cool to see that change as we progressed through the game, ending up with a repaired road and a new building. A minor detail, but it got me thinking.

With this been a GTA forum, let's start with that game to get the examples flowing. Imagine a fully working GTA city, where the city changes as in real life. They could send updates that close roads off one week for 'road works', then be reopened the following week in better condition. They could release a new clothes pack every week in 'stores', just like real life shop stock would change around. Or they could change the radio stations every week, giving us a new choice of tracks. New missions could be added at all times, thus adding more gameplay, rather then releasing new DLC every month (get onto that point later*). We could see the city itself change in age, like construction sites actually been updated to make way for a new building. If gangs were to ever make a return, we could see it that territory changes every week/month via the update, seeing buildings crumble as the gangs wage war. The other options could include the option to update to coincide with real life months, this bringing the whole 'seasons' aspect into the game, as so many people have been wanting to see. Christmas in real life could see the city getting updated to include all festive decorations.

Imagine an FPS game that updated every so often to make changes to the arsenal, or giving us new attachements for our weapons. Multiplayer maps could be altered slightly every so often, thus making a challenge for those who like to camp. Or change the spawn locations, or where the bombs/flags appear on the level. In MW, it could add new challenges, emblems and titles.

Now, as someone answered in the other topic, DLC's already exist, and these are slightly like what I'm on about. DLC's are a completely different game, giving us either brand new maps, or control of a different protagonist, bar maybe a few. What I'm on about is changing the game completely for everyone, making the life of the game last longer. But then we come onto another problem of losing profit. So how do we get around this issue? Easy, companies can release different patches at different times, with some having to be purchased with our online credit. An update could appear for everyone on GTA where new buildings appear, but then there are other 'updates' that can be purchased for our online credit, such as the option to buy one of these new buildings as a safehouse, thus giving players more variety in how they play the game, making the experience unique for every player. SA was great as we all had the option of being a completely different CJ, but then that option dissapeared again. So how about clothes 'update' packs that contained different items, thus maybe giving the player more option to choose a gang alias maybe, by purchasing different gang attire.

I know games already do this, like in Forza where you are able to buy new car packs and new tracks, but as I said, that's just adding to the game, not giving us a change.

Not every game would have to include this feature, but games like GTA would be amazing if they updated every so often to change the city.

Then we come to the down side, and the questions for you lot. Would you be happy having to update your game every so often, even if it took up to 10 minutes maybe for the update to complete? Would companies ever actually do this, or would they fear a loss of profit? Would it actually ever really work? Would you be happy with losing your camping spot in an FPS game?

And another thing, would it actually work due to people buying the game at different times. Would there be a way to somehow add a system that set updates at different times for people, to coincide with their game progress. To me, I see no problem with the updates happening at the same time for everyone, no matter how long you been playing the game. To me, I see it as a great way of making people want to rush out and buy the game on release date, thus seeing the change to the game in full, rather then joining halfway through.

Well, I think I explained so everyone could understand...what you all think?

Edited by Butters 2011

They cant just add a new update often,they have to actually make the update and then ask for sony's or microsofts permission.If something like what you said ever happens it wont happen weekly,probably monthly.

I don't mean to be rude but your text is way to awkward to read on the default skin. So I skimmed everything but the first sentence smile.gif

Every week updates? Hmm, I'm not sure everyone would like it. Mostly because people are still on capped downloads per month for internet usage so it would all add up at the end of the month. Then again, it depends how big these updates would actually be.

Personally, I think that the weekly updates would be great for radio stations/music within games to keep things up to date and have some new music to listen to since I've heard every song on IV for example way to much now. But I don't think I'd want them to have new roadworks in game since it would be a freaking nightmare to even remember which roads they are. Especially if they apply when playing online.

I think weekly would be way to often though. I think monthly would do it, mainly because it would be a hassle for people after the first couple weeks have passed. Then again it would make the gaming companies have to put more effort into sh*t which I'm sure they can't be bothered to do if there is no financial gain for them.

Saying that, I think the whole idea is flawed just because I see a lot of the major companies reclining to do these ''monthly'' updates without you paying for them. DLC may be a separate thing for most games but that's the difference - it is something new your paying for a lot (in some cases) of new content which I don't really see they could throw that into these ''updates'' eh I really don't see it happening.

FIFA: live seasons has something similar to what you are talking about

OverTheBelow

I don't read annoyingly small formatted text. Please fix it instead of giving us all bloodshot eyes. -____-

DU8afL0.jpg

what if something is really awesome, and then there is a change and OH MY GOD ITS NOT AWESOME. it starts to suck and you have to wait for the next update.

and, lets say, if the next GTA was in 80s Vice City, would it eventually turn into the 90s, and then 00s? what if someone wants to keep it in the 80s

what if something is really awesome, and then there is a change and OH MY GOD ITS NOT AWESOME. it starts to suck and you have to wait for the next update.

and, lets say, if the next GTA was in 80s Vice City, would it eventually turn into the 90s, and then 00s? what if someone wants to keep it in the 80s

Maybe you could delete some patches in the menu?

First of all, this is basically free DLC which Microsoft won't allow (Sony will to an extent).

Secondly, Valve updates their games for free like this all the time, adding free DLC and updates.

The main problem would basically be that most of what you mentioned would take more than a couple of weeks to fully do, unless they just limit to closing streets and reopening them the same way they used to be...

Perhaps in the future, but nowadays, it's not the easiest thing to do... Also, it won't be possible on xbox, due to microsoft, and hard to do on PS3... It would be completely possible on PC though, even more so with steam around...

LongHairedFreakyGuy
I don't read annoyingly small formatted text. Please fix it instead of giving us all bloodshot eyes. -____-

Must be on about the color since alot of people use Arial on here, and the color looked good on the skin am using. Changed font in OP anyway.

Must be on about the color since alot of people use Arial on here, and the color looked good on the skin am using. Changed font in OP anyway.

Wow blind or just stupid there. Like he said, you've got way tiny text. Which makes it a pain in the ass to read even with it highlighted.

Barry Spock

Honestly it sounds too complicated and would be too much work for developers, developers, developers.

I have no problem with the extra meggage of downloads, or waiting while it updated, but if it's just going to be seeing a construction site change, it's not exciting enough.

Clothes in stores could change, but it'd be more efficient for the game company to code that in so it ran on a longer cycle, similar to how the day/night change happens in GTA4.

Just use the default text like everyone else lol.

It would be cool in IV if the MP was set to New York time and weather - wouldn't work in SP because of the way the story flows - just MP. If it was midnight and rain in NY, then that's how it would be in LC.

Also, would it be possible to have live radio channels online?

9322068076_d79a001db2_o.jpg

Just use the default text like everyone else lol.

It would be cool in IV if the MP was set to New York time and weather - wouldn't work in SP because of the way the story flows - just MP. If it was midnight and rain in NY, then that's how it would be in LC.

Also, would it be possible to have live radio channels online?

sounds good, but if lived on the other side of the world, then you'd forever play GTA4 at night unless you were nocturnal, or something.

and the radio thing sounds like more hassle then is necessary.

Finn 7 five 11
I don't mean to be rude but your text is way to awkward to read on the default skin. So I skimmed everything but the first sentence smile.gif

Every week updates? Hmm, I'm not sure everyone would like it. Mostly because people are still on capped downloads per month for internet usage so it would all add up at the end of the month. Then again, it depends how big these updates would actually be.

Personally, I think that the weekly updates would be great for radio stations/music within games to keep things up to date and have some new music to listen to since I've heard every song on IV for example way to much now.

I think weekly would be way to often though. I think monthly would do it, mainly because it would be a hassle for people after the first couple weeks have passed. Then again it would make the gaming companies have to put more effort into sh*t which I'm sure they can't be bothered to do if there is no financial gain for them.

Saying that, I think the whole idea is flawed just because I see a lot of the major companies reclining to do these ''monthly'' updates without you paying for them. DLC may be a separate thing for most games but that's the difference - it is something new your paying for a lot (in some cases) of new content which I don't really see they could throw that into these ''updates'' eh I really don't see it happening.

Some free new radio stations, even every few months would be great, the songs don't necessarily have to be new, jsut diferent to the current.

LongHairedFreakyGuy

OK, so I didn't exactly mean weekly updates, but I was trying to stress the point of been forced to update every now and then.

And I know this would never happen. It's all about the money to the companies, and doing this would be a 'loss' to them in some way. "f*ck updates, we'll stick to DLC's". I'm just saying, how much could be added to the life of a game by doing these updates every now and then, breathing new life into it.

Imagine the options games could include if this happened though. They could run a competition that sees you getting your avatar into a game for a week, or a model that you designed. We could have certain items that only appear for a limited time, such as limited time vehicles in GTA or stuff like that.

What would happen if you bought a game a year or two after release? Would you have to sit and wait 2 hours for it to catch up on all the updates before you could play it?

(Like someone mentioned with FIFA)Almost all of the EASports games update their roasters regularly.

The game industry is a huge money industry pulling in more money than the movie industry these days. There is no getting around greed, so get used to having paid DLCs as your only updates...sorry.

Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that when a game is produced there aren't a sh*t ton of actual coders working on the project. Unless those coders write tools to allow for non coders of the team to make easy changes, it is really hard to make any serious changes. Since we all demand new games all the time - the small number of coders are already onto their next project/assignment.