Déjà vu

danjodan

So I have been getting this all my life but never actually thought why I get it.

Sometimes I wil lgo to a completly new place and isntantly feel like I have been their before,sometimes I will remember the place from a dream.Anyone else get this?

And what does it mean?

Edited by danjodan

AlexGTAGamer

I've had deja vu lots of times, and what does it mean? I have no idea. Perhaps it is just one question that cannot be answered.

So, I have been getting this all my life but never actually thought why I get it.

Sometimes I will go to a completely new place and instantly feel like I have been there before, sometimes I will remember the place from a dream. Anyone else get this?

What does it mean?

user posted image

Apparently it just some kind of strange brain function. I always get it, like a whole conversation or place is so familiar that I can almost feel what's going to happen next. It feels like I've watched it or done it before. It's kind of cool, as well as slightly unnerving.

U R B A N I T A S

So, I have been getting this all my life but never actually thought why I get it.

Sometimes I will go to a completely new place and instantly feel like I have been there before, sometimes I will remember the place from a dream. Anyone else get this?

What does it mean?

Oh,what you said is the exact same as what I said.

Serious Déjà vu

WF the Hobgoblin

Just your mind playing tricks on you, happens to everyone all the time. Doesn't mean anything, apparently...

I've gotten deja vu plenty of times. These days I try breaking it by saying or doing spontaneous and random things. Works most of the time.

I know once in a while I'll have a dream, and about three or so months later that same thing in the dream actually happens. Nothing drastic, you know, like a location or something.

7FTgFLB.png

Once I had a dream about watching an episode of "Glenn Martin, DDS" six months before the show even premiered. I was even doing what I was doing in that dream, eating french fries whilst looking through the files of a GTA game. panic.gif

I'm constantly getting it, I realize that a certain scenario seems familiar and then I know what will happen in the next few seconds or minutes. It's pretty creepy to be honest and always makes me feel uncomfortable when it happens.

user posted image

I know once in a while I'll have a dream, and about three or so months later that same thing in the dream actually happens. Nothing drastic, you know, like a location or something.

Yeah, same thing for me. confused.gif

I remember an episode of Orson's Farm (in the animated series) that talked about Déjà Vu.

It happens to me from time to time, it's a very funny feeling. Often happens in class, where I'll feel as if I've been in that discussion before, or talked to the teacher about that subject before...

2lzNHds.png

I've always considered Déjà Vu to be the moments you're reliving from a dream in the past.

Claude Speed.
Apparently it just some kind of strange brain function. I always get it, like a whole conversation or place is so familiar that I can almost feel what's going to happen next. It feels like I've watched it or done it before. It's kind of cool, as well as slightly unnerving.

More like a memory error according to Wikipedia. It's normal and it doesn't predict future events.

Gone...but not quite.

Your mind is pretty damn good at filling in the blanks. How many times have you turned your head and seen a bug scuttling across the floor, only to have a double-take and realise it is a button or something else?

Thing is, it is only a matter of time before something you experience IRL will somewhat resemble something you've dreamt before. And considering dreams are influenced by stuff you've already done in life (apparently you cannot dream a persons face that you have not seen before), the fact that you're likely to repeat yourself at some point makes deja vu pretty inevitable.

WF the Hobgoblin

Are you sure it isn't just your brain telling you at that moment that you had a dream about this a few months ago, when in actuality, you didn't?

Finn 7 five 11

this happens to me, weird thing is i have dreamed of circumstances that are very unlikely.

Like i dream i meet someone at a certain place and something happens, or i look a certain direction and it all hits me and i feel dizzy.

One of the creepiest things in life, glimpses of the future damn weird.

Like i dream i meet someone at a certain place and something happens, or i look a certain direction and it all hits me and i feel dizzy.

Hit me two days ago again: I was standing in the basement of a friends house with two mates and suddenly I was just like: Wow, you've been standing in this spot before and you just said the same thing too, but in a dream. My head feels like it got a signal failure for a second and then it's just like normal. The brain is a fascinating organ which I'd love to know more about.

If I remember correctly, Déjà vu occurs when your eyes go out of sync. One of your eyes sees something and relays it to your brain before the other and so when the other eye sees the same thing, you have the feeling that you've already seen it before.

I think that's right... Your eyes only have to desync for a tiny amount of time for it to occur.

in5dJdX.png

If I remember correctly, Déjà vu occurs when your eyes go out of sync. One of your eyes sees something and relays it to your brain before the other and so when the other eye sees the same thing, you have the feeling that you've already seen it before.

I think that's right... Your eyes only have to desync for a tiny amount of time for it to occur.

Then how come we don't all feel deja vu when we wink or close one eye? In that case our eyes are not looking at the same thing (one at our surroundings, one at the back of the eyelid).

Then how come we don't all feel deja vu when we wink or close one eye? In that case our eyes are not looking at the same thing (one at our surroundings, one at the back of the eyelid).

Even if one eye is in darkness or looking at something different, it is still sending messages to the brain in synchronisation with the other eye. It's only when one of your eyes sends the message out of sync with the other eye that we get deja vu. I mean it hasn't been tested (not by me anyway) but you probably don't get deja vu if you walk round with an eye shut all the time.

in5dJdX.png

No I don't think eyes have anything to do with deja vu. I mean I recall feeling like I've been to that place/done that thing before, but the memory is a few weeks old. Like remembering a dream you had last week. It isn't an instantaneous problem which arises from the eyes.

Some info on Deja Vu

U R B A N I T A S

The eye theory was proven wring I believe, blind people have been known to get déjà vu.

No I don't think eyes have anything to do with deja vu. I mean I recall feeling like I've been to that place/done that thing before, but the memory is a few weeks old. Like remembering a dream you had last week. It isn't an instantaneous problem which arises from the eyes.

Some info on Deja Vu

I thought this was part of the effect of it though, thinking you remember something from a while ago or a dream but in actually fact you haven't. In the grand scheme of things, how likely is it that you can see the future really?

I can accept that the eyes aren't a cause of the effect as Bam's just debunked it, but I seriously don't believe Deja vu is anything more than a glitch in the mind which makes you believe you've seen something prior to it happening.

Cause that'd be verging on supernatural and that sh*t doesn't fly.

in5dJdX.png

Yeah I agree with you there, the human brain is an incredibly complex thing, for instance people have amnesia, and sometimes never remember what they used to know. It seems much more logical that it occurs due to some sort of mismatched electrical impulses in the brain.

AlexGTAGamer

Has anyone had deja vu about any disasters or major events? I've had deja vu about a news report of Hurricane Katrina the night before it struck and my mum had deja vu about a ferry accident in the English Channel the night before it happened too.

but I seriously don't believe Deja vu is anything more than a glitch in the mind which makes you believe you've seen something prior to it happening.

Cause that'd be verging on supernatural and that sh*t doesn't fly.

I completely agree with you there. My post was just saying how it wasn't to do with the eyes, but I didn't phrase it correctly. It definitely isn't any supernatural, voodoo magic stuff.

U R B A N I T A S