Video game urban legends/myths

Chinatown Wars

Chinatown Wars

I'm not talking about Pokemon black (THE MYTH) or any life-death lesson games; I'm talking about when you're friends run up to you and swear they did something unbelievable and weird in the new video game they got. Stuff like jumping over the flag pole in Mario(which is true but the stories that spawned if you did). I'll start

Polybius:

Apparently a arcade game that spawned in Oregon in the 1980s where kids would play, go crazy and commit suicide. The government is said to be affiliated with it but, of course their is no real evidence of this, or this game at all.

I'm not talking about Pokemon black (THE MYTH) or any life-death lesson games; I'm talking about when you're friends run up to you and swear they did something unbelievable and weird in the new video game they got. Stuff like jumping over the flag pole in Mario(which is true but the stories that spawned if you did). I'll start

Polybius:

Apparently a arcade game that spawned in Oregon in the 1980s where kids would play, go crazy and commit suicide. The government is said to be affiliated with it but, of course their is no real evidence of this, or this game at all.

That sh*t is real, I don't care what anyone say's, Don't mess around with sh*t like that.

Oh geez, I remember the rumor going around about super mario world that if you got 96* 3 times in a row in one save slot then 96* in all 3 save slots,it unlocked the Japanese version.

eF7McnF.png

Finn 7 five 11

The famous Ratman in GTA IV, supposedly some man who was half rat half man and lived in the subway tunnels.

Also San Andreas had the Bigfoot myth haha.

Being able to jump over the electrified warp gates that stopped you from advancing to other hubs in Crash Bandicoot 3...

Long Haired Freaky Guy
Also San Andreas had the Bigfoot myth haha.

Surprised that didn't get mentioned straight away.

Anyway, there was a myth once that you could acquire the Triforce in The Legend Of Zelda:Ocarina Of Time, yet no evidence was ever shown of this.

There were a coupe of myths on obtaining Mew in Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow. One was something to do with using strength on the truck next to the ship and it would move revealing a pokeball.

Can't remember the others.

Soft arse here tried them all back in the day biggrin.gif.

s0h607k.jpg

Chinatown Wars
There were a coupe of myths on obtaining Mew in Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow. One was something to do with using strength on the truck next to the ship and it would move revealing a pokeball.

Can't remember the others.

Soft arse here tried them all back in the day biggrin.gif.

The "punching the truck" thing isn't true but I can remember that you can glitch him to show up through some weird, and obscure things.

I also remember hearing the lies about legend of Zelda too.

I remember when I had WWF Smackdown 2, there was a 'cheat' listed on a website that claimed when you completed a season as the Undertaker, you will be challenged to a Hell in a Cell match by Kane. Then just before the match, Kane will set fire to the Cell therefore turning it into an Inferno match which weren't available on Smackdown 2 otherwise. Sounded farfetched but...I tried it confused.gif

Long Haired Freaky Guy

Just been looking through some sites, and came across an article about Atari dumping thousands of cartridges in the desert:

4. Atari buried millions of unwanted VCS cartridges in the New Mexico desert

The myth: It's a powerful physical demonstration of the industry's first real financial crisis: an army of dump trucks dumping millions of excess game cartridges in a remote New Mexico desert and covering the resulting landfill up with concrete. As the story goes, in 1983 Atari was reeling from an unprecedented number of unsellable cartridges being returned by retailers that had once been desperate for product to sell. The main reason: hubris on Atari's part. The company reportedly manufactured 12 million copies of Pac-Man (despite the existence of only 10 million VCS systems at the time) and 5 million copies of a rushed, near-unplayable game based on the hit movie "E.T." With the company bordering on financial ruin and unable to sell or store the millions of returned games, they did the only thing they could think of: loaded them up into dump trucks and rolled them out to the desert.

The truth: Despite some doubts by a former Atari insider that the company would simply throw out so many cartridges (rather than recycling and repurposing them), the story is corroborated by contemporaneous accounts in The Almogorado (N.M.) Daily News (from the city that houses the infamous landfill) and The New York Times, which even quoted an Atari spokesman as confirming the dumping. Cry "liberal mainstream media" all you want, but on this one, I think you can trust the Times.

They say confirmed, but only due to the media.

Being able to jump over the electrified warp gates that stopped you from advancing to other hubs in Crash Bandicoot 3...

Hell yeah! I also remember winding up my mates by saying that you could jump down certain holes in the game to access hidden areas. Generally when they only had one life left. Heheheheh.

I also remember one going round that you could actually revive Aeris in FFVII, or at least there was a provision to do so, just they cut the story short in the end. Certain things some of the NPCs in Midgar on disc 3 used to say seemed to point at it. There was absolutely tonnes of stuff hidden in that game so everything had to be seen to be believed.

Holding B and tapping Down increased the chance of the pokemon staying in the goddam ball.

I'm aware of at least 10 different key/action combos that went around just my town for this, so your button presses may vary.

user posted image

Hell yeah! I also remember winding up my mates by saying that you could jump down certain holes in the game to access hidden areas. Generally when they only had one life left. Heheheheh.

I also remember one going round that you could actually revive Aeris in FFVII, or at least there was a provision to do so, just they cut the story short in the end. Certain things some of the NPCs in Midgar on disc 3 used to say seemed to point at it. There was absolutely tonnes of stuff hidden in that game so everything had to be seen to be believed.

Couldn't you jump down a hole and access a hidden area in number 2. I think it was in the jungle?

Edited by manbearpigy

Nude Raider. Although there were fan made mods for PC, there were always rumors that Eidos put a secret nude mode in the consoles. It wasn't true. I spent a half hour one day trying to unlock it using a sequence of button presses.

Then of course there were the rumors of multiple characters in Super Mario 64. Luigi was the most prominent. Then of course there was the ridable Yoshi (you see yoshi if you get all 120 stars and shoot yourself out of the cannon and onto the castle, but you can't ride him) and a playable toadstool character.

There is also, Ermac. The character that at the time of the original Mortal Kombat's release was the fabled red ninja. A character that looked like Scorpion/Sub-Zero, but red. It turned out to be a glitch. But of course after that first game, they actually put him in the games. I guess it's also worth it to note that, at least in my hometown, there were rumors that Sonja Blade had some sort of naked fatality, or sexual encounter with Johnny Cage.

I miss those times before the internet was in everyone's house, and you could hear a rumor and never know if it was true.

not really an urban legend or a myth but I remember that you could insert some Playstation discs into CD players and listen to the soundtracks. Which led to endless hours trying out various playstation discs to see which ones had the soundtrack and which ones didn't.

Oh and there's also that one about Michael Jackson doing the music for Sonic 3...which I believe was confirmed recently?

Edited by Pandazoot

I heard Gearbox Software is developing Duke Nukem Forever and it'll be out in June lol.gif

in5dJdX.png

Chinatown Wars
I heard Gearbox Software is developing Duke Nukem Forever and it'll be out in June lol.gif

Nah that can't be true smile.gif

I looked up mortal kombat myths and there are a ton

I had a friend from my primary school who said that if you typed a special cheat on GTA 2, every building you drive past collapses. Needless to say I tried, it didn't work. The same friend told me that if you type in another cheat, the game will become first-person mode in 3D. He swore to my face that he wasn't lying, but clearly he was. I was told from another person that on GTA London, if you fired a rocket-launcher at Buckingham Palace, the Queen would be seen running from it and that if you killed her you'd get 4 police heads. Yup, ANOTHER LIE! confused.gif

Back when Vice City was out my friend told me that there was a secret car on Cortez' yacht

I asked him really, what kind of car? he said- "I dunno, a Mercedes something" I can see where he would have gotten confused.

The Lolwut Pear

The myth that is Episode Three.

You all know what I'm talking about...

lol, actually is a myth in a forum about GTA 3 and SAN ANDREAS, it says that if u kill lots of people an evil laugh can be heard, just like if the game glitches

See no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil...

I LOST A FRIEND, MAY GOD REST YOUR SOUL, ZEE

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

user posted image

user posted image

I looked up mortal kombat myths and there are a ton

Like how for an ungodly amount of time people thought you could unlock Chuck Norris in MK 2? lol.gif