The Cuban Missle Crisis

SPMovies

What's everyone's opinions on it? I'm not too sure about my opinion, personally it pisses me off due to how schools teach it now. I'm incredibly greateful it didnt happen, especially considering how my parents both lived in Manhattan as babies(Manhattan would've been gone obviously).

As to what I said up there, now a days(Maybe not ever, but several books, and shows taught me this) that the biggest reason the Soviets put missles in Cuba was due to American missles in Turkey. If you know anything geograpohy wise, you'll know thats Russia's Cuba. Part of the agreement between the US and Soviets to remove the missles, was for the US to remove it too but keep it a secret. I think this info was released in 2002. My next point is that the U.S school system has nothing regarding our missles in there, and I have seen 5 textbooks that included the Missle Crisis. Most teachers know about it, but wont even say anything about it until I tell them.

Well, my rant is over, what do you guys think?

We all almost died/didn't exist. Thank god a little last minute dipolmacy stopped Fallout from happening. Yes Turkey was the main reason the Soviets counterbalanced and that's not normally mentioned when the crisis is brought up. If the CIA wasn't so inept at killing the Communist in Cuba things may of turned out differently.

It astonishes me that they put so much emphasis on the Cuban Missile Crisis, and ignore the one occasion on which we got closer to nuclear war than even then- Able Archer '83. This wargame included simultaneous deployment of ICBMs and large military forces to represent a NATO response to a Soviet first strike. Of course, no-one remembered to tell the Soviets that it was taking place. Nuclear armed aircraft were actually in the air by the time of the exercise's end.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

I think the CMC was closer, although I do not know much about what happened in 83(I know basics, the textbook reasons, but not indepth)

If I am correct, the Missle Crisis was a day away from all out war. I believe if the Soviets didn't agree to the U.S's proposal, that the next day 90,000 would've invaded Cuba and the nuclear missles there would've been bombed. To go with that most of those 90,000 would've been killed by tactical nukes.

I think the CMC was closer, although I do not know much about what happened in 83(I know basics, the textbook reasons, but not indepth)

If I am correct, the Missle Crisis was a day away from all out war. I believe if the Soviets didn't agree to the U.S's proposal, that the next day 90,000 would've invaded Cuba and the nuclear missles there would've been bombed. To go with that most of those 90,000 would've been killed by tactical nukes.

We invade Cuba, they invade Germany, they invade Germany we nuke them, they nuke us; World ends. I've heard of the 83 drill before and apparently ONE guy saved the planet or something. Hell I need to go reread the cracked article.

I just read it, and the Soviet base read 5 nuclear missles coming. They went to full alert and all that stuff, but I dont think that was closer then the Missle Crisis.

bob, if Cuba was attacked they get Berlin, but Cuba was ready for a beach invasion and were gonna use tactical nukes. The U.S did not know this at the time

• 2 weeks later...

We invade Cuba, they invade Germany, they invade Germany we nuke them, they nuke us; World ends. I've heard of the 83 drill before and apparently ONE guy saved the planet or something. Hell I need to go reread the cracked article.

Vasili Arkhpov? All I know about him was that he was in a submarine, 3rd in command or something, the submarine was attacked so they thought that nuclear war had broken out, and where going to launch nukes in retaliation, but Vasili was against it and so they effectively couldn't launch the nukes.

Not sure what that has to do with the Cuban missile crisis though.

Banned, now stay the f*ck out

I think sivi said in one of his posts that the Soviets did not believe in MAD, which nearly literally made me sh*t myself. It's a good thing that we were lucky enough to have these events never happen otherwise... well you know. It's like we were an accident.

Was it a coincidence that all these events happened so precisely so that we could exist the way we are? There were just too many events in history that could have drastically changed the world for my comfort.

Edited by Adler
23088_s.gif

I think sivi said in one of his posts that the Soviets did not believe in MAD, which nearly literally made me sh*t myself.

That I did. Though there was no real prospect of them delivering the first strike in any nuclear exchange as they believed that it would damage "the cause".

I'm not quite sure why MAD is taught as if it was universal. First year of my degree I was told "forget everything you learned about the Cold War".

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

• 1 month later...
There were just too many events in history that could have drastically changed the world for my comfort.

no student of history should be comfortable. if you are, you've missed the point.