Human rights?

anus

Warlord, this is terrible!!!! Why nobody talks about it in the news?? It seems those countries and the United Nations only care about oil, about money!!! This is such a shame, because I think Sri Lanka has a beautiful nature!! I've signed!!! I wish your country the best lucky, it's terrible too watch scenes like that cry.gifangry.gifcryani.gif I voted no for the president too!!!

Edited by cidamelo

Why the hell do people on Time magazine think this guy is good? Are we all that brainwashed? And to be honest, I have not learned about this at all in school. Guess I'm gonna do my own research.

That video is absolutely sickening and really scares me. Sometimes I wish I wasnt born into this species cry.gif

user posted image

Finn 7 five 11

You know what, the UN won't do anything, and they shouldn't have to.

The world is always going to have conflict and sh*t like this happening, you can't just march into other countries and arrest people, the whole system is corrupt, and they don't care. Plus UN probably ain't keen on starting a war, which is even worse.

Imagine in Medieval times, this crap happened all the time, its just the way humans work, there are some sick individuals and it ain't gonna change.

If you feel be a hero and save the world, but people are always gonna die, and starve and what not, no matter how hard you try everyone gets f*cked over eventually, its the sad truth.

The UN should not step in i am sorry, so i am not joining the signatures list.

Better a few people die than 10million in a war. its a lesser evil.

P.S i am not trying to be a jerk,this is what i believe is best so i stick by it, each to their own opinion.

Here's what bugs me. They probably didn't need to strip their victims. Alright, they're killing them, that's one thing. But why in Gods name did they remove their clothes? They could have at least afforded them that small level of dignity. You should always treat your enemies fairly, sooner or later you might fall into their hands.

I can, somehow, understand why they're killing people like this. I mean, if both sides have been murdering each other for years, those wounds aren't just going to heal. Tit-for-tat, primal justice, an endless cycle of violence that leads both sides momentarily satisfied but forever trapped in misery. Surely though, there will come a time when they choke on all that blood and want something more for their children.

I doubt there will be any kind of peaceful coexistence in any of our lifetimes, but just agreeing to let each side live in privacy would be a start. From there, future generations could move towards a lasting peace, or perhaps just repeat the same mistakes over and over again. It's all very confusing.

The racists in this country are so extreme that executing innocent civilians isn't enough, they need to be stripped as well.

Well it was the Sinhalese who are responsible for starting the conflicts like I said before (by discriminating Tamils throughout the nation, by changing the requirements for admittance into universities from 70 percent based on grades and performance and 30 percent on district basis to 30 percent based on grades and 70 percent on district, which severely put the Tamils at a disadvantage in terms of education). Before the LTTE rose to power, there was a group which was carrying out a non-violent struggle to bring the Tamils a peaceful, political solution (regionalism), but the government didn't want any peaceful solution, clearly.

@cidamelo, Thanks a lot. Every vote counts smile.gif.

@Mister, I've truly, honestly given up on Time. First they make Hitler their most influential person, and now this guy. Isn't the suffering that the Tamils and Jews went, and go through in the case of Tamils, enough? Do they have to rub it in on the people who've lost their parents, children, siblings, friends, etc as well? It's disgusting really. I can only imagine what will be going on in the mind's of the people who were affected.

@finn4life, Well then the UN might as well disband then. I mean if they don't help stop wars, if they don't look into human rights violations, etc they're just a waste of resources.

Oh and if the UN or any country were to step in to do something, there wouldn't be a war trust me. The president of the country is a coward who hides behind his army, once he realises that his army is of no use, he'll give up like the coward he is.

FIOszpJ.gif

I guess some people really do want to watch the world burn. dontgetit.gif

"I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings."

Sunrise Driver

If you don't have the oil then nobody cares. Also In 1975-1978 when Pol Pot slaughtered 1 or 2 million of cambodian, the UN and USA were just watching.

Also I like how they're trying to "protect" civilians in Libya.

I guess some people really do want to watch the world burn. dontgetit.gif

I have to agree, This must be true. There are people in this world who are very well educated, Know whats right and wrong, they get Law degrees and what not, Then they become Big criminals. Some people just want to see the world burn as said above.

If you don't have the oil then nobody cares. Also In 1975-1978 when Pol Pot slaughtered 1 or 2 million of cambodian, the UN and USA were just watching.

Also I like how they're trying to "protect" civilians in Libya.

Don't bring Libya or oil into this unless you have a vague idea what you're talking about. In terms of oil production, Libya are a very small fish in a very large pond. All the "oilists" as I've started to call them seem to perpetrate these absurd notions that all military intervention must be about oil. It's utter bullsh*t, and anyone who has even the vaguest understanding of most conflicts to which this allegation is attached know that. If all these so-called "oil wars" are what people claim they are, where's the increased oil production capacity? Where's the NATO states investment in foreign oil production that would be required to actually benefit from a more Western-friendly regime? Because all I see is Chinese petrochemical companies jumping in across the Middle East and North and Sub-Saharan Africa- not the US or UK like everyone alleges. And besides, why intervene in small oil producers when Nigeria, which has a huge and mostly untapped oil wealth, is busy self-destructing?

It's an absurd, self-defeating argument. Oil is a valuable commodity, but you only need to look to the material and human losses caused on the Coalition by their intervention in Iraq to see that it can't be a conflict about oil. They've used far more of the stuff actually engaged in the military operations than they're ever likely to see back, even from a democratic Iraq with close ties to the West.

What could the UN/Western powers do about Pol-Pot? He was basically given the blessing and sanction of China to commit genocide, so foreign involvement would have likely sparked a conflict that would have made Vietnam look like a playground fight. The wider world didn't intervene during Stalin's purges either- it's not about material wealth or any of those other absurd conspiracy theories, it's simple statecraft- you only intervene if it's likely to be beneficial for you to do so in the long run. Pissing on the Soviet Union's chips is not likely to be beneficial for anyone, and nor was intervening in Cambodia. Yes, it's hypocritical given all the "supporting democracy" rhetoric that comes out of the Western world, but self-interest always trumps human rights. It's not right, but its the way things are.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Here's what bugs me. People look at all the atrocities that go on in the world and seem to ask why no one does anything.

Then, when the West acts, they suddenly turn around and accuse the government of 'neo-colonialism'. I mean, have you seen this business with Gbagbo in the Ivory Coast? The guy leads his people into Civil War all because he doesn't want to leave power after losing the vote. People are all agreed that something has to be done.

But - wait - what's this? The French helping to remove Gbagbo?! IMPERIALISM! IMPERIALISM! RACIST MOTHERF*CKERS!

I'm sick of it. People need to grow the f*ck up.

Here's what bugs me. People look at all the atrocities that go on in the world and seem to ask why no one does anything.

Then, when the West acts, they suddenly turn around and accuse the government of 'neo-colonialism'. I mean, have you seen this business with Gbagbo in the Ivory Coast? The guy leads his people into Civil War all because he doesn't want to leave power after losing the vote. People are all agreed that something has to be done.

But - wait - what's this? The French helping to remove Gbagbo?! IMPERIALISM! IMPERIALISM! RACIST MOTHERF*CKERS!

I'm sick of it. People need to grow the f*ck up.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

All those who constantly accuse the West of being imperialist and overly eager to intervene are utter hypocrites. If they were in, for instance, the position of the Libyan rebels, they would be pleading and begging for Western intervention. Yet they sit on their comfortable, well-furnished high horses and accuse the developed world of being imperialist. Frankly, they've got more blood on their hands than the most interventionist Western governments.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Yep, one of the things that kept/keep the Tamils who were/are suffering at the hands of the government forces are the hopes that there would be some form of intervention from the UN or some international force to help them.

Oh and check this out.

A leaked United Nations report indicates "credible allegations" of Sri Lanka war crimes. Video first broadcast by Channel 4 News, showing alleged Tamil executions, formed a key part of the evidence.

The video they're talking about is the one in this topic's first post.

"Satyameva Jayate" ("Truth alone triumphs") - Mundaka Upanisad 3.1.6 smile.gif

I truly appreciate the help of everyone who signed the Amnesty International petition and voted no. Every signature/vote counts, so please help out if possible.

FIOszpJ.gif

ayushisrocking

Namaste brother,

Am I the only one who thinks that the UN is a piece of bullsh*t that merely has permanent members in its so-called 'Security Council'for no reason whatsoever? I mean, the UN barely ever does anything fruitful for people who're looking forward to living in a peaceful environment..

Anyway, i don't expect india's sleepyhead PM, Mannmohan Singh[definitely, his speeches're always monotonous and may make u go off to sleep] to take any measure on account of this issue.....But then again, All we can do is be positive..

Also, Satyamev Jayate[सत्यमेव जयते] is the national motto of India..wink.gif

Am I the only one who thinks that the UN is a piece of bullsh*t that merely has permanent members in its so-called 'Security Council'for no reason whatsoever? I mean, the UN barely ever does anything fruitful for people who're looking forward to living in a peaceful environment..

Lets see what India do about that when they become the sixth permanent seat on the Security Council in the next 4-5 years, then. Personally, I think it's a relatively sensible idea- better than the other option, Brazil.

Untitled-1.jpg

ayushisrocking

Yeah, hopefully it will get a permanent seat, but then again, you can't ever trust the chinese...a few days ago, Hu Jintao may've recognized and given a positive outlook on india's request to get a permanent seat, at the BRICS summit in Sanya, China, but then again, as I said, you never know as to when the chinese may change their ideas, more so since they'll have a cabinet reshuffle in 2012..

Bharat getting a permanent seat in the UN will not do anything at all to improve the state of the UN UNLESS the BJP comes to power.

I really, really hope the Bharatiya people come to their senses and bring the BJP to office. If the congress is in power, the state of the UN is not going to get any better, it might even worsen.

FIOszpJ.gif

Bharat getting a permanent seat in the UN will not do anything at all to improve the state of the UN UNLESS the BJP comes to power.

I really, really hope the Bharatiya people come to their senses and bring the BJP to office. If the congress is in power, the state of the UN is not going to get any better, it might even worsen.

I noticed the other day a news report that discussed the EU's preliminary findings on the war crimes committed by both sides, that suggested that the Sri Lankan government may well be held to account regarding aspects of it, including the shelling of designated demilitarised civilian areas. It also contained a pretty harrowing, handycam-shot report by a Sri Lankan journalist who was covering the North of the country, showing areas where the military had set up impromptu positions and were harassing Tamil civilians, and the destruction caused by the military in civilian areas. Allegations of systematic rape and summary execution too.

Untitled-1.jpg

ayushisrocking

..No wonder india's most corrupt government in power's under the congress.. No demands for 'Anti-Corruption Bill' 's were put up when the BJP was in power..

i mean, you must be knowing of the 10s of scams that the congress govt. has been associated with over the past 1year or so..e.g: the COmmonwealth games scam..etc..!

anyway, Let's see what happens in the forthcoming elections..

@sivispacem, Can you link me to that report please bro? I'm really interested in reading it.

It's not surprising really, most of the Sinhalese (who account for most if not all of the country's armed forces) have been brainwashed by the current government with racism towards Tamils (the brainwashing includes discrimination towards anyone who is not Sinhalese really, but the main focus are Tamils). The people who have given into brainwashing have lost basic human qualities such as compassion and don't really care about innocent people being abducted, tortured, raped, killed, etc as long as they aren't Sinhalese.

The government basically kills who it wants, when it wants. Journalist reporting the truth? Kill. Peaceful protester? Kill. Pregnant mother? Kill.

It's all the same for the government. If you're not Sinhalese, the government simply kills you in the open (as the brainwashed masses don't care if a person who is not Sinhalese is killed in cold blood), if you are Sinhalese and are opposing the government, you will be killed stealthily in order to keep the brainwashed masses ignorant.

The UN report has caused a major stir over here. The government had even started a petition against the UN report so that the brainwashed masses can sign.

That alone goes to show what the brainwashed people have been reduced to.

@ayush, Yeah bro I'm aware of some of the congress' scams. I doubt I know of all of them though considering how corrupt they are tounge.gif.

Edited by Warlord.
FIOszpJ.gif

sivispacem why do you think Brazil doesn't deserve a permanent seat on the security council ?

sivispacem why do you think Brazil doesn't deserve a permanent seat on the security council ?

I'm a Brazillian and I've got to say Brazil is one of the last countries who deserve a seat on the security council. The poverty is horrific in Brazil, the country itself is a mess in so many respects. The government particularly is corrupt to the core and it's a disgrace. Brazil is a country that has so much beauty and natural resources, the abuse of which is a massive stain on it's reputation. It's an irresponsible nation at the moment - not cut out to be considered a superpower and until it sorts it's act out I can say with not a hint of doubt that it shouldn't be on the security council.

Edited by El Zilcho

U R B A N I T A S

Hi El Zilcho I didn't know you're brazilian!! Yes, Brazil has a lot of poverty but I think things are getting better in the last years! Bolsa Família is a program that is complimented all over the world. And we can't compare BRIC countries with European countries or the USA, because they have a different history. Obviously, Brazil still isn't a developed country, but I'm hopefully we can become one! I think one BRIC country should receive a permanent seat! alien.gif

Well while I want the best for Brazil as well I hardly think that they are in a position to be on the security council - international matters are, in my opinion beyond them at this time. Adding a BRIC country to the council for the sake of it would be pointless and if they were there just for the sake of it they wouldn't be serving any purpose.

U R B A N I T A S

El Zilcho I think the BRIC countries should receive more power!! They are the new economy!! viddy_pirate.gif

From a purely hypothetical point of view, whilst Brazil's contribution to the world economy is quite sizeable, their contribution to, and standing in, international relations is significantly less that other nations who are posturing the position. The anti-interventionist, almost apathetic attitude of the Brazilian government is rather surprising given their attitude towards globalisation in the economic sense. I find it quite perplexing that a nation who has gained so much from the globalised world economy takes an almost isolationist attitude towards international relations. You could argue that China behaves similarly, but they're busy with their podgy, over-populated fingers in just about every civil war or internal conflict in Sub-Saharan Africa at the moment, so it's not really the case. The fact that Brazil not a nuclear power also somewhat dents their prowess.

On a more subjective and personal point of view, the very last thing the security council needs is another anti-interventionist member. It's difficult enough to get any consensus with China veto'ing almost every single UNSC resolution for interventionist military action (regardless of how justified) without another state doing the same. In China's case, little wonder- they're arming just about every rogue, corrupt or autocratic regime on the planet, so it's not in their interests to do so. Personally, I'd be inclined to think that Brazil would just follow China's lead rather than thinking for themselves. That's just my subjective opinion though, and as someone who wonders what the point in having a military force is without putting it to use and attempting to swing the balance in ones' favour, I'm bound to be biased.

@Warlord- It's on here.

Edited by sivispacem

Untitled-1.jpg

El Zilcho I think the BRIC countries should receive more power!! They are the new economy!! viddy_pirate.gif

Give over cidamelo brazil haven't had an economy since the rubber industry was toned down

sivispacem thank you for the explanation!! It's true, Brazil is anti-interventionist. But I don't think this is bad, actually I like it, it may keep we out of conflicts lol.giflol.gif

Sean_R_LFC are you crazy?? Brazil is the 7th richest country in the world!! And it's growing...... sigh.gif

Give over cidamelo brazil haven't had an economy since the rubber industry was toned down

lol.gif Hopefully that's trolling. Made me lol though.

Basically sivispacem vocalise what I was thinking, any of the nations that should be on the council are already there (again, China arguably shouldn't be but they're playing the same amoral power game that used to go on in the Cold War so you know what goes around...)

U R B A N I T A S

Sean_R_LFC in 2010 Brazil passed France and United Kingdom viddy_pirate.gif

From a purely hypothetical point of view, whilst Brazil's contribution to the world economy is quite sizeable, their contribution to, and standing in, international relations is significantly less that other nations who are posturing the position. The anti-interventionist, almost apathetic attitude of the Brazilian government is rather surprising given their attitude towards globalisation in the economic sense. I find it quite perplexing that a nation who has gained so much from the globalised world economy takes an almost isolationist attitude towards international relations. You could argue that China behaves similarly, but they're busy with their podgy, over-populated fingers in just about every civil war or internal conflict in Sub-Saharan Africa at the moment, so it's not really the case. The fact that Brazil not a nuclear power also somewhat dents their prowess.

On a more subjective and personal point of view, the very last thing the security council needs is another anti-interventionist member. It's difficult enough to get any consensus with China veto'ing almost every single UNSC resolution for interventionist military action (regardless of how justified) without another state doing the same. In China's case, little wonder- they're arming just about every rogue, corrupt or autocratic regime on the planet, so it's not in their interests to do so. Personally, I'd be inclined to think that Brazil would just follow China's lead rather than thinking for themselves.

@Warlord- It's on here.

EXACTLY what has been happening with the issue of investigating war crimes in Sri Lanka. china doesn't care if a country's being ruled by an autocratic monarchy that's guilty of ethnic cleansing (as in the case of Sri Lanka) or if the poverty in the country is so severe that people are starving to death due to extreme incompetence and corruption of the 'king' (again applies to Sri Lanka as well) as long as they can exploit the incompetent government to work out deals which favour them largely (all our deals with china are FAR from mutually beneficial).

I truly despise china. They should be removed from the security council. I really don't know what the UN was thinking when they admitted a fascist, abomination of a country such as china into the security council of all things.

Thanks for the link btw smile.gif.

FIOszpJ.gif