Fixing Issues With The Protag's Turning Circle

_Rob_

One thing that bugs me about going from III era to IV is how sluggish and slightly disconnected you feel, don't get me wrong the majority of it is great, ie the guns, cars etc all feel great. But Niko, Luis and Johnny all feel a little slow. For instance in III era games if you want to turn on the spot it's take less than a second to whip around, in the IV era if you want to turn on the spot you have to sit through a 3 second animation of him turning on the spot. Yes this makes the game and character feel more realistic but by the time you've turned to face your enemy you've probably already been shot.

Other animations are the same, if you want to stop and quickly turn left in the III era that would react as quickly as you pressed the keys, or the analog stick. With the IV era that takes a few seconds. In my opinion although making the game realistic it makes me feel somewhat disconnected from the character and makes me hark back to the slightly more user friendly control scheme of the III era.

I for one hope in GTA "V" this issues are sorted out, or at least we meet with a happy medium. Thoughts?

I don't have such a problem with the running animations, only thing is that Niko would take so long to start running from a cop who has him at gunpoint. I have a much bigger problem with the jumping animation, you have no control over it, you should be able to curve your jumps and determine the speed of them. And also, the melee system could be more responsive and varied based upon where your target is.

Yeah I agree with the jumping and melee combat too, it feels like Niko has a pendulum in his ballsack.

JTbrokerbridge

I agree. also it takes forever to run up a flight of stairs. I think if your geting chased the game should make your animations quicker kind of like an adrenaline boost. And i've always wanted better climbing nothing too complicated just something like assasins creed where you just press left stick and he will automaticaly find the next hold, instead of just holding onto a ledge where he will onley go left or right.

Your rite about the turning circle for example if nikos standing on the edge of a building and you pull back on the left anolog stick to move him he would have this huge turning circle and walk of the edge (usually to a painfull death) its pretty annoying.

Thompson.png

Stairs never bothered me. I'd just jump up and down them, it's much quicker. If we're going to go down the "but that's not realistic" route, neither is running like Steven Segal up a flight of small steps.

I agree that there's a balance to be struck when it comes to developing the moving of the protagonist. I'm not so much bothered about making the person look real as they turn, because chances are you're not going to leave the house and see anyone do half the things we get up to in the games. Already we're going complicated with suggestions on how to improve it with different controls and adrenaline bars or what have you. Maybe going backwards is the way forward? I certainly wasn't bothered by how Claude, Tommy or CJ moved (unless we're talking about Tommy running, Jesus wept) and while R* went on this realism kick, I do think we should keep the old way of moving.

I pretty much agree with everything you said, I think R*, and for that matter most games companies need to concentrate a little less on realism and little more about gameplay.

HipHopHeadSeb

its impossible not to agree with this stuff... the animation and gameplay on gta is so slow, anything from fighting, running up/down stairs and jumping fences is sh*t on this game.

its gonna be so improved on the new GTA. its allready been greatly improved on red dead.. it can only get better.

EDIT : when im being chased or shot at, niko should react to things with urgency, like break into cars much faster and climb fences etc. i hate the way when i being shot niko reacts to stuff like nothings happening.

Edited by HipHopHeadSeb

its gonna be so improved on the new GTA. its allready been greatly improved on red dead.. it can only get better.

I was going to say that it will probably be the same in GTA V because it was the same in RDR, but then I saw this. How was the character movement "greatly improved" in RDR exactly? I swear, I can hardly even tell that there's a difference at all.

Yeah, controlling the character can be pretty awful in IV and it's obvious that they sacrifised a lot of user friendlyness in order to make the game appear more cinematic. It looks really good though so I don't know. It's clunky but it kind of adds another level to the game where you try to make everything go as smooth as possible, from driving the cars without crashing to parking it straight and getting out, take out the gun and move into cover etc. I love that stuff, but I can also see why some people wouldn't. tounge.gif

HipHopHeadSeb

I was going to say that it will probably be the same in GTA V because it was the same in RDR, but then I saw this. How was the character movement "greatly improved" in RDR exactly? I swear, I can hardly even tell that there's a difference at all.

Yeah, controlling the character can be pretty awful in IV and it's obvious that they sacrifised a lot of user friendlyness in order to make the game appear more cinematic. It looks really good though so I don't know. It's clunky but it kind of adds another level to the game where you try to make everything go as smooth as possible, from driving the cars without crashing to parking it straight and getting out, take out the gun and move into cover etc. I love that stuff, but I can also see why some people wouldn't. tounge.gif

john marston is easier to move, he vaults things slightly quicker, he moves easier.. niko feals like a bit of a tank.. and the fighting, is slightly better on red dead. (although it still kinda sucks on red dead)

edit: i love the way the cars control on GTA...

and i predict that LA Noire will have amazing gameplay in car and on foot.

Edited by HipHopHeadSeb

Yeah this did kinda Feel weird in Gta Iv. They had to improve the running way better. You have to agree with me. Johnny for gta tlad is not even running. His just jogging and putting his arms in weird places in stead of actualling swinging them back n forth. In Gta sa it was easier to turn and Cj go run pretty damn fast if you got his stamina up pretty good. Lets hope they fix it up in gta V.

The Stairs, The only thing that bugged me with them is if your playing at night on the game you cant damn see them, They where too dark. Other than that running up the stairs didnt bother me and just like what Craig said. Jumping up and down them can really help in the game...

One thing that bugs me about going from III era to IV is how sluggish and slightly disconnected you feel, don't get me wrong the majority of it is great, ie the guns, cars etc all feel great. But Niko, Luis and Johnny all feel a little slow. For instance in III era games if you want to turn on the spot it's take less than a second to whip around, in the IV era if you want to turn on the spot you have to sit through a 3 second animation of him turning on the spot. Yes this makes the game and character feel more realistic but by the time you've turned to face your enemy you've probably already been shot.

Other animations are the same, if you want to stop and quickly turn left in the III era that would react as quickly as you pressed the keys, or the analog stick. With the IV era that takes a few seconds. In my opinion although making the game realistic it makes me feel somewhat disconnected from the character and makes me hark back to the slightly more user friendly control scheme of the III era.

I for one hope in GTA "V" this issues are sorted out, or at least we meet with a happy medium. Thoughts?

Yes,another sacrifice in gameplay for the so called realistic feel.

Now the sad thing is it is not very realistic either because i can do those moves irl way faster then niko and im not a professional athelete or have to make a living as a hitman,i hope this is another thing in V they tune to more gameplay fun and less for "realism" .

I think you're over-reacting a bit. It takes nowhere near 3 seconds to turn around and it's not really that cumbersome at all. I much prefer the slightly weighty feeling of Niko and Luis to the floaty animations of CJ and the III bunch.

But there are a lot of protag actions that do need improvement. Climbing, falling, running and jumping need to be more seamless. It's annoying how the protag does a full stop after a jump or climb before continuing!

But there are a lot of protag actions that do need improvement. Climbing, falling, running and jumping need to be more seamless. It's annoying how the protag does a full stop after a jump or climb before continuing!

For sure

Now i do think R* did a f*ck up with the animations in general as they really did try show off how realistic and natural the animations was and they did slow it down to try give us that feeling of realism.I think this was=BAD decision

Edited by DetociC

That's how they made it look and feel more realistic. If it just goes full speed or does snappy actions it looks and feels like a cheap game.

That's how they made it look and feel more realistic. If it just goes full speed or does snappy actions it looks and feels like a cheap game.

No, I disagree, it feels like you are in control, I could give a sh*t how realistic it looks, or how realistic the animations are if the character doesn't move in a player friendly way!

How does one animation make the difference between a game being good or "cheap?"

If everything else in the game is realistic then why would it make any difference to the average player if their character's turning is quicker? I can personally say that it wouldn't have made any difference to me if my character turned around in 2 seconds or in 1/2 of a second. It makes no odds to me whatsoever. There have probably been times when I've been shot because of this but I was probably too busy thinking "Oh, I've been shot. I'm going to kill that twat," rather than "Bloody character animations got me shot again..."

And that sums up my argument in a nutshell: I don't really mind if Rockstar decide to change this back to how it was in the olden days of SA, VC and III because I played through all of the IV games and never once really noticed a difference in the speed of anims. Except maybe when running up and down stairs which was so slow it was almost taking the piss.

No, I disagree, it feels like you are in control, I could give a sh*t how realistic it looks, or how realistic the animations are if the character doesn't move in a player friendly way!

Fortunately that's just the opinion of combat type players and not people who buy GTA for the depth that makes it unique.

I do understand what you're talking about, but I'd rather have it like that then not so it doesn't feel like you're too in control.

Fortunately that's just the opinion of combat type players and not people who buy GTA for the depth that makes it unique.

I do understand what you're talking about, but I'd rather have it like that then not so it doesn't feel like you're too in control.

Not at all, I spend most of my time driving around and deliberately getting hit by cars for giggles, but I hate feeling disconnected from the character.

I have put down many many hours in IV and really enjoyed the whole production and watched every detail in the game closely and i appreciate the depth R* have put into the game in every aspect...I do believe they put down most off there energy into making a strong and serious story while they tried to go for some kind off simulator realistic control feeling in caracter and cars etc...and while doing so they completely forgot to try make a fun game...after the story is over we are left with absolutely nothing to do and some very stiff and bulky controls in cars and in caracter.Can only hope that when they make V they are less full off themselfes and there story writing capabilitys and maybe start care about creating a game that is fluid and fun to play again.

This on is NOT Topic Related, but I didn't want to make a new topic.

In IV, when a cop is aiming a gun at u, u have 2 options; #1 - Surrender and get busted, #2 - Runaway. So what I mean, they could add #3 - a counter attack to take the gun from the cop.

#1 - When u surrender, u loose u'r guns(BUSTED)

#2 - if u runaway, the cop will start to shoot at u(it's bad, when u have low-health)

#3 - u take the cops gun, the cop runs away and there's no wanted level(nothin' to see)

....... Liberty City, It's Over ! ... NeXt Stop ... Vice City

gta-the-best

I do prefer the john marston movement over the gta 3 era movement, it just feels a lot more better and feels like the character has some weight on him.

The best is mafia 2 though.

Finn 7 five 11
This on is NOT Topic Related, but I didn't want to make a new topic.

In IV, when a cop is aiming a gun at u, u have 2 options; #1 - Surrender and get busted, #2 - Runaway. So what I mean, they could add #3 - a counter attack to take the gun from the cop.

#1 - When u surrender, u loose u'r guns(BUSTED)

#2 - if u runaway, the cop will start to shoot at u(it's bad, when u have low-health)

#3 - u take the cops gun, the cop runs away and there's no wanted level(nothin' to see)

....... Liberty City, It's Over ! ... NeXt Stop ... Vice City

FInd the Wanted level topic, if its not related don't post it *Facepalm*

I found it for you since i have a feeling youi would struggle

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtop...hl=wanted+level