On this day 50 years ago!

OysterBarron

OysterBarron

On this day in 1961 humankind decided to reach for the universe instead of just observing. The first Human (Yuri Gargarin) Looked down upon the earth for the first time. It's an amzing moment! Away from all the troubles that plagues the surface looking back It almost brings tears to my eyes watching the First Orbit. Please take the time to watch a small segmant of the one thing that truley binds us all together as one!

wtBEybp.png

gLs7a8h.png
MODQEwD.png

Brown Sugar
Please take the time to watch a small segmant of the one thing that truley binds us all together as one!

didn't it do the exact opposite of that. Anyway it's hard to believe that they managed to get into space in 1961 considering all the things they didn't have then that we have now.

OysterBarron

the original pilot made it clear that he did it for the world and not just a single country! im talking in terms of the planet nothing more!

wtBEybp.png

gLs7a8h.png
MODQEwD.png

Yeah gotta give credit to those engineers working behind the scenes. Isn't it annoying how the only time the engineers come up is when there's a disaster you can pin on them? rolleyes.gif

23088_s.gif

Somebody visited google.com today! oh la la

And someone else read the Cracked article on the crazy USSR space missions biggrin.gif .

All that aside, it is a pretty cool and significant anniversary. Significant only because it really started the expiration of space on a really fast track, which in turn gave us tons of cool everyday technology we use here on earth.

OysterBarron

haha no google needed! it just so happens that my birthday falls on the yearly annivesary of the first man in space!

wtBEybp.png

gLs7a8h.png
MODQEwD.png

haha no google needed! it just so happens that my birthday falls on the yearly annivesary of the first man in space!

Happy birthday

TheBlackProject

Credit for the Soviets being the first ones in space. Oh and a long time ago I read a Wikipedia article that while Yuri Gagarin was up in space, he was trying to find god but he didn't, so he said something along these lines "I see no god up here. I went up in space and tried to find god, but god wasn't anywhere, so he doesn't exist". Also the Google homepage has an animation just for this day. I wish Yuri was still alive so I could congratulate him, but he died in 1968.

t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m

I've never understood the point of going into outer space. Why waste money on something so pointless?

I've never understood the point of going into outer space. Why waste money on something so pointless?

Because, unlike you, some people would like to know where we are in the Universe. And what it looks like.

Yl8KS.jpg

You fail to see why human exploration is important?

Ok, f*ck off back to Africa, then.

vbSWr1A.gif