Is GTA wikia really just a piece of garbage?

Sam998

A lot of people seem to think so...But I've always found their information accurate.

Banned, now stay the f*ck out

Yeah well most of it is accurate. However there are certain things that are a full load of bullcrap.

tumblr_mk683ddOTs1rkv9cvo1_250.gif

Yeah well most of it is accurate. However there are certain things that are a full load of bullcrap.

+1

I once went on a wiki i don't now which one it whas tho.

How i got there had something to do whit searching for a post that mod said i cant remember , well it said mods here had small dicks and everyone on this forums are little 11 year old boys wanking their little dicks while yelling .

I hope GTA wiki isn't like that O_O .

user posted image

Bye Fellas It was a great time

Aren't there a few different wiki-type websites for GTA? At least I think there are, I always get them confused/mixed up.

To me this one is the best, Grand Theft Wiki. I guess that's not an official Wikia website, if I remember correctly they broke away when the new layout changes came around last year.

Mokrie Dela
I once went on a wiki i don't now which one it whas tho.

How i got there had something to do whit searching for a post that mod said i cant remember , well it said mods here had small dicks and everyone on this forums are little 11 year old boys wanking their little dicks while yelling .

I hope GTA wiki isn't like that O_O .

i think i know the one you mean. IT's a parody, a huge joke that takes the piss out of everyone. I read one like that once. It was funny but also very immature and pointless.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

087rqaU.pngVw81Z2a.pngxWvxZoT.png1fb6cYB.png

Click here to view my Poetry

k9isbackagain

That wikia is awesome. Of course, there are some mistakes but it's a wiki. It's quantity over quality.

user posted image

http://www.grandtheftwiki.com/Main_Page is the best one in my opinion.

GET OVER 1 BILLION IN GTA ONLINE WITH THIS GLITCH

Join the best of the best. Join the Republic of Zee.http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/member/zeegtaforums

Add me on Xbox: ZeeGTAForums and PS3: mtkgta420

The Continuing Adventures of Zeehttp://www.youtube.com/ZeeGTAForums

http://www.twitch.tv/zeegtaf

Deji is a coward.

Personally, I think the split of grandtheftwiki.com from gta.wikia.com is really annoying, not because it split but because wikia won't shut down the old site. How are they going to stay in sync? Wikia will always get ranked higher by google when anyone searches for anything. It just seems like a hopeless move.

I think grandtheftwiki should throw in the towel and merge back with wikia. Their arguments against Wikia may be right, but the existence of two sites results in a confused and fractured user base, and that hurts article quality. The priority should be article quality and I think that outweighs the goals of the split.

I keep both GTA Wikia and Grand Theft Wiki bookmarked. I prefer the latter though, however sometimes GTW doesn't load for some reason, so I go to GTA Wikia as a back up.

TommyMufc-Champs

Sometimes It can be but some bits are pretty accurate.

I have yet to find any bullcrap on wikia, but I'm sure it's there. The split with Grand Theft Wiki seems like a bunch of people being dicks. Boohoo the site got more adds, so you leave and form a new one?

I never really look at GTA wikis like I do for other games. Maybe because I know so much about the series. It's rare I find out something new. Usually new information I discover is like glitches or discoveries like the suicidal photographer in San Andreas.

G The Generous

nah.this wikia is one of the best i must said.even it have some silly crap

i have played many games,and have check many wikia site of the games,but all i found are useless sh*t and stuff that i know more than the site had.this GTA wikia got a lot of good information and many interesting stuff to check,beside it is Assassin's Creed,Half-Life,Mass Effect,Fallout wikia - which are the most useful wikia i ever check

Harwood Butch3r

Last night I spent about an hour just looking through different characters, and reading the trivia part.

I find the site to be really interesting to be honest. Even though I know a far bit about GTA it's always good to read if you're bored.

Last night I spent about an hour just looking through different characters, and reading the trivia part.

I find the site to be really interesting to be honest. Even though I know a far bit about GTA it's always good to read if you're bored.

Yeah I always read the trivia, it can be very interesting.

I see there is some need for clarification here. So allow me. I have been a member of Grand Theft Wiki since May 2009 and an admin since May 2010, so if you have any questions then please ask me. Anyways;

Personally, I think the split of grandtheftwiki.com from gta.wikia.com is really annoying, not because it split but because wikia won't shut down the old site. How are they going to stay in sync? Wikia will always get ranked higher by google when anyone searches for anything. It just seems like a hopeless move.

When we moved away from Wikia, Grand Theft Wiki's intent was to move. Not to fork, not to split in two, but to move. Wikia showed utter disregard for professional admins that had been looking after the sight for 4-5 years. They banned us and kept the wiki running to make money with their ad-riddled skin. Wikia now considers us a rival to be competed against. We never wanted this to happen. We even tried to convert Wikia's copy into a modding wiki. With ours for general information. Both sites would link to each other in a mutally beneficial partership, allowing users to use any wiki as they please. What does wikia do? They stomp right in, put a bullet in the idea (and our admin rights) and start competing against us. That's why we truly moved, and why we'll never go back.

I think grandtheftwiki should throw in the towel and merge back with wikia.

We will not be doing that. Grand Theft Wiki's days with wikia are over.

Their arguments against Wikia may be right, but the existence of two sites results in a confused and fractured user base, and that hurts article quality. The priority should be article quality and I think that outweighs the goals of the split.

What you are saying is correct. Article quality is key and should be the main focus of the wiki. It should come first, not the skin, not the adverts, but the articles. What does wikia do? Introdce their new skin. That reduces the size of articles by a third, which can require whole page re-writes. It fills the area with ads (semi-video, and much to my surprise, video ads). These ads are there for one clear reason. To make a sh*tload of money. www.grandtheftwiki.com has one ad. One tiny google ad in the sidebar. And that's there to pay for our hosting, not to earn us money.

I keep both GTA Wikia and Grand Theft Wiki bookmarked. I prefer the latter though, however sometimes GTW doesn't load for some reason, so I go to GTA Wikia as a back up.

Would you care to explain the errors you are receiving?

I have yet to find any bullcrap on wikia, but I'm sure it's there. The split with Grand Theft Wiki seems like a bunch of people being dicks. Boohoo the site got more adds, so you leave and form a new one?

You don't seem to be in posession of all the facts:

• Grand Theft Wiki's identity was almost entirely removed. Our logo was changed to a tiny banner. The site is littered with ads to wikia's other sites and adverts are everywhere (when we moved to wikia, we were told adverts would be minimal, look at it now). Making it look like a marketing machine. Grand Theft Wiki refuses to be used as a commercial exploit.
  • Our mods and admins were banned for trying to oppose the new skin. And were also banned for trying to turn the wiki into a modding one in partnership with wikia.
  • Wikia showed no respect for professional admis who have spent almost half a decade in a wiki editing role.

Leaving was the last thing we wanted to do. We tried, believe me. We tried to change wikia's mind. We tried to convince them that the new skin would not be a good move. We tried to ask them to remove all the ads. We got shunned away.

Anyways. If you have anymore questions or concerns. Please ask me.

GTA Wikia is great to read if you're bored. It's overall a good site too, as long as some jack ass troll doesn't get in it and started editing a bunch of stuff and adding fake info to pages.

spaceeinstein

In the end, Grand Theft Wiki should be a more reliable place to get your information. At GTW, there's a dedicated staff that constantly updates the pages with accurate contents. On Wikia, where only recently there are dedicated staff, self policing themselves was out of the question and the accuracy of the pages went to crap. One sysop there likes to copy and paste contents (but rather immaturely) that were created on GTW, so that should mean the contents on GTW is that much better than Wikia.

I feel that leaving Wikia was a good choice because Wikia is restrictive and lacks freedom while being independent means more freedom on what we want to do on the new site. If the creators of the entire site do not have the choice to create the layout of their own site, then being independent is an obviously good choice. It's not only GTW that left Wikia by the way... The situation would have never happened if Wikia listened to the veteran users and provided more freedom for them to handle their own websites.

Edited by spaceeinstein

Would you care to explain the errors you are receiving?

Just sometimes when I click on it from my bookmarks I'll either get a blank screen that says in my status bar it's loading, but nothing will ever come up. I don't get an error message or anything and this hasn't happened for some time now, but it has happened more than once in the past, so I keep both wikis just to be safe.

Schismatist

Yeah it's sh*t, I feel like an asshole anytime I use it for information honestly.