What gpu to get

brokensoul

have a new question ....

Hi all haven't been on here for ages, had to re register....

Please don't flame as I'm trying to get a good answer on the card I want.

sorry forgot to add that the mobo only has 1 pcie at 16x and one at 4x no option for sli at 8x8x at all I dont plan on going sli... suicidal.gif

So basically Is this card any good for TBOGT ? --->> GTX 550 ti ?

The thing is I want to play on at least high settings or with graphics better than the PS3 on a full HD 24 inch samsung monitor, but I am planning on adding tons of mods,

It seems an okay card for other newish games too.... but seems to have a few bad reviews... there was a go ahead or however you would put it for this card in a post here is the link ->>http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=473283

I'm building a new PC from scratch so it'll have the following

core i5 2500k stock at 3.3GHz (stock cooling) for now moto_whistle.gif

p8p67 m motherboard (asus)

4GB ddr3 1600MHz ram 2x2GB

550w modular psu

and then a okay card

or should I go with a gtx 460 768MB ? or what should I go with my max range for a card will be about 300 us dollars (worked out with a ex change rate calculator) I hail from South Africa so I work in Rands a gtx 460 786MB works out about R2000. that sums up about 320 us dollars give or take

I am planning to play crysis 2 on okay setting (at least better than the PS3) and portal 2 I should be able to play on high I figure

Oh and if it means anything I will probably oc the i5 2500k from the stock 3.3 to 3.6, 3,8 or even 4.0 if It deems safe enough and stable enough

Please let me know if Ill be fine with that card as I dont have a fortune to spend on the pc

Edited by brokensoul

either choice should play it no problem.

I've still got a GTX280 and it plays GTAIV and DLCs all on high settings.

I'd go for the one with at least 1G video memory if I was getting another card though.

GTX550Ti sucks big time, do not buy it. GTX460 768MB will be WAY faster. Or even better try to hunt down Radeon HD6850, most of the time it's the same price as GTX460 768MB while it has the performance of GTX460 1GB.

Just on a side note, Asrock P67 Pro3 would be a better choice for the mobo than castrated P8P67-M.

74cXSsx.png

either choice should play it no problem.

I've still got a GTX280 and it plays GTAIV and DLCs all on high settings.

I'd go for the one with at least 1G video memory if I was getting another card though.

Sweet but do you play with mods too ? as I said above im planning to go bat s*&t crazy with mods, as far as I can tell addingmore and more mods uses more resources .... so Im jus a bit worried but will have to see

GTX550Ti sucks big time, do not buy it. GTX460 768MB will be WAY faster. Or even better try to hunt down Radeon HD6850, most of the time it's the same price as GTX460 768MB while it has the performance of GTX460 1GB.

Just on a side note, Asrock P67 Pro3 would be a better choice for the mobo than castrated P8P67-M.

okay... even though the gtx 460 is older ?? what about my psu I dont want to go over 550 watts, I have a budget to stick to with a bit of give here and there...

I cant seem to find asrock boards in S.A for the 1155 socket(older sockets yes) so I guess im going with an asus board

GTX460 might be older, but it's still a better architecture.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeF...lone_II/23.html

As for the PSU, even proper 400W could handle GTX460. What exact model of the power supply are you buying?

got a quote for pc from a site that builds pc's for gaming and they have a 550watt modular psu, but didnt give the name when I said I wanted a gtx 460 they said they would have to up my psu to 750 watts so im guessing they are not well known psu's

will ask them and get back to the forum.....

750W for GTX460? rotfl... this would be enough to power three of these cards (if not four).

74cXSsx.png

768MB and 1GB have the exact same number of shaders, if that was what you meant.

74cXSsx.png

768MB and 1GB have the exact same number of shaders, if that was what you meant.

Though 1GB had more.

Well memory then.

Also it should be mentioned there were also 1GB version with less shaders - they're called SE and should be avoided at all costs. Also I'd avoid 768MB cards from Gainward and Palit, because they produced Green versions which had less shaders too.

74cXSsx.png

I guess I can go cheaper if I decide not to overclock.....

When I asked for make and price of the psu they gave me a story about the psu needing to be at least 750 watts or my system would be unstable....

so what is going on and its the second company to tell me so

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/G...60_1_GB/29.html

GTX460 1GB consumes 155W under maximum load (which cannot be reached in games, only special apps can do that). I don't really know why do they keep advicing 750W power supply. A *proper* 400W PSU could power your rig even after overclocking.

74cXSsx.png

just a fyi when i use to play gtaiv on max settings on pc i used a duel gtx 285 rig (used a single 285 on gtaiv do 2 issues) anyhow i was able to get 68fps and use 730ish mb/1gb. a gtx 285 card is $400.

Edited by FF_sniper

just a fyi when i use to play gtaiv on max settings on pc i used a duel gtx 285 rig (used a single 285 on gtaiv do 2 issues) anyhow i was able to get 68fps and use 730ish mb/1gb. a gtx 285 card is $400.

What?

@FF_sniper: but you do realise GTX460 1GB is not any slower than GTX285...

Also 730MB mem usage for max? That must have been pretty darn small resolution. Why did you bother getting two cards for such small res is beyond me.

74cXSsx.png

thanks that clears it up for me I figure that the psu's they are supplying are weak via the amps for the rail...thats the only reason I can think of so ill make sure I get a

600 watt psu that has a the option of taking a huge card a year or 2 down the line without a sweat if not then ill just upgrade the psu too, will probably go for this

Corsair GS600, Eps12V, with 140mm Blue LED Fan, ATX 12V V2.3 - 600W (12V : 576W)

it is not too costly and seems sli capable (not going to but still its there)

and it has a 48A 12v rail so that must be powerful enough right ? so if get say a gtx 560 or 570 ill still be fine i figure

and it has a blue led to boot so it'll look good too so that should suffice

ind I guess ill be getting a gtx 460 1gb but if im lucky I can get a 560 ti

@brokensoul

Check out this card icon14.gif Free Mafia 2 game coupon w/ purchase, limited offer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814500194

and this cpu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115074

and if your super rich Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115066

Edited by nastynacho

BumpInTheNight

@brokensoul

Check out this card  icon14.gif  Free Mafia 2 game coupon w/ purchase, limited offer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814500194

and this cpu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115074

and if your super rich  Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115066

Those all suck compared to what OP is originally looking to buy. The 550i is notoriously weak, the 2400(not K) can't clock up so what's the point. Indeed they are about half the price of the parts OP is originally aiming for but performance wise they are also about half the ability if you also factor how high of an OC the 2500K would provide even with the stock heatsink (4.2-4.5Ghz easy). now the 500$ Gulftown...yah that's expensively useless too compared to what the 2500K can do.

Now Brokensoul I know you say that 300$ American is roughly your limit on GPU spending but if I could convince you to go for a nice GTX570 I bet you'd be a very happy camper with the results. For instance:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814133370

349$...but with a 30$ rebate, so 20$ more and it'll net you an enormous performance increase over anything that's been mentioned so far in the thread. Doesn't have to be that specific model/manufacturer either its just the first one I found on newegg. Also yah a 600w supply is plenty for any non dualcore based video card, that store suggesting minimum 750 is trying to bilk you.

@FF_sniper: but you do realise GTX460 1GB is not any slower than GTX285...

Also 730MB mem usage for max? That must have been pretty darn small resolution. Why did you bother getting two cards for such small res is beyond me.

i was running it at 768p im useing atm a 26inch hdtv. Not alot of people can get a cheap big screen display.

Edited by FF_sniper

Corsair GS600, Eps12V, with 140mm Blue LED Fan, ATX 12V V2.3 - 600W (12V : 576W)

Well it is a good PSU but it's a bit old. Search for Corsair TX650 V2 (must be V2), or XFX Core 650W - shouldn't be much more expensive than GS600 and they're much better quality. Or if you want to save some cash then go for XFX Core 550W - will be more than enough for your setup.

@FF_sniper: well... what's the point in having 2x GTX285 when you use 768p? Sorry but single GTX285 would be enough.

74cXSsx.png

Well it is a good PSU but it's a bit old. Search for Corsair TX650 V2 (must be V2), or XFX Core 650W - shouldn't be much more expensive than GS600 and they're much better quality. Or if you want to save some cash then go for XFX Core 550W - will be more than enough for your setup.

@FF_sniper: well... what's the point in having 2x GTX285 when you use 768p? Sorry but single GTX285 would be enough.

i know one would have been enough but with two it gives me a future option of upgrading my display.

Had an idea and would like some advice....

okay after looking at the whole setup for a good card and such and such I have decieded to go with a p67 mobo incase I want to overclock some day still worried about doing so... but for now im going to only get the case and screen sans gpu

core i5 2500k

600 watt psu

4gb ddr3 1600 ram

msi p67 mobo

will use an old ati/radeon hd4760 gpu till I can afford the gtx 560 ti or maybe a 580 if the psu can take it

The GTX 580 uses 244 W at max. nVidia recommends a 600 W power suply so you could try the GTX 580 if you can afford it wink.gif

@Exxon: according to techpowerup.com GTX580 uses 304W under maximum load.

But anyway, If it's a proper PSU from a good brand then it can take GTX580, and you can overclock CPU and GPU as much as you want.

74cXSsx.png

bit-tech and anandtech measured power consumption of whole PC, not the card itself. guru3d on the other hand... well, they just f*cked up - those 250W they mentioned is TDP, which has little to no relation to power consumption.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/...GTX_580/25.html

74cXSsx.png

okay I figure that the GPU draws power from the +12v

taken from Corsair site

Corsair GS600 Power Supply (CMPSU-600G)

Voltage +3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5Vsb

Max. Current 25A 25A 48A 0.8A 3A

Max Combined Wattage 150W 576W 9.6W 15W

600 Watts @ 40°C ambient temperature

all ill have is a core i5 2500k(sandy bridge) lets say overclocked to 4.2 max with stock cooler or aftermarket cooler

1x4GB DDR3 1.5v dominator 1600MHz ram a second 4GB will come in later

No sound card,iPhone 4 charging via usb 2.0, 1 Samsung G3 station (3.5) connected via usb 2.0, 1 4gb memory stick and one gtx 560 ti

Will the above max that psu ever ?

Edited by brokensoul