Why GTA Criticizes DUKES So Much?

cidamelo

Hi friends, I'm playing "GTA The Ballad Of Gay Tony" and everytime they criticizes Dukes, like when Tony says he is ashamed to be born in Dukes, and Bulgarin's sister criticize Dukes, I want to know why they hate Dukes so much! Dukes is so beautiful! I think Dukes is better than Algonquin!!!!What's the problem with Dukes??

UbK_families

yea i f*cks with dukes. Gotta lotta money over there i used to rob that laundry mat all the time over by the east borough bridge and i hang out in steinway alot cause i got homies over there but dukes is underrated its alotta money to be made over there .

Uptown Veteran $$$ racks in my pocket red flaggin dis families sh*t is 4 life

Probably because of the name, 'Dukes' sounds like a term for multiple pieces of fecal matter.

The reason Dukes is criticized so often is probably because it is one of the weakest boroughs in Liberty City. Dukes' influence in Grand Theft Auto IV is so small that everybody thinks of people from their as "inferiors". The fact that the only gang or mob based in Dukes is the Faustin Bratva allows characters to easily mock it (due to the fact that Mikhail Faustin, the leader of the Faustin Bratva, was killed by Niko Bellic). Other boroughs like Bohan and Algonquin have nutorious gangs and people which make them stand out more than Dukes.

UbK_families lol.giflol.gif that laundering is awesome to be robbed that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif

sonnyBlack ahhh I think Dukes sounds so pretty lol.gif

StoneHead37 I think places like Bohan are worst!! Even thought now I like Bohan, I think Dukes is way prettier!! It's kind calm, I know, but I don't agree when people criticized Dukes! Dukes has the Irish gang, with Packie McReary, Gerry McReary.... I THINK DUKES IS AWESOME!!

AlexGTAGamer

I think the reason why people in-game don't like Dukes is because, according to "A History Of Liberty" Dukes' name came from the word "Dukey" (or poop) which was given to the people who lived there as "they all smelled like sh*t."

AlexGTAGamer oh I don't watch many TV in GTA, specially because I can't understand most of things they talk lol.gif I just watch the shows sometimes tounge2.gif

WF the Hobgoblin

Personally I think it's nicer than Broker or Bohan but to be honest, Algonquin makes everything else look sh*t.

I suspect Tony doesn't like it because he's so into the glitz and glamour of Algonquin that he can't stand the idea of Dukes which he may consider too boring and surburban. It seems residents of Algonquin tend look down upon the other boroughs, figuratively and literally.

Same for Bulgarin's sister. She probably came to LC hoping to live in Algonquin but is disappointed to find herself stuck in Dukes instead.

Another possible reason is people don't like the immigrant ghettos in Dukes.

WF the Hobgoblin yes, I agree with you. I'm not into that the glamour of Algonquin tounge2.gif I like rich areas, but areas like Owl Creek Drive......Honestly, I don't like Algonquin very much. I just like the "poor" areas of Algonquin, like Meat Quarter and Purgatory, but I like Algonquin's South too. I don't like The Triangle, Star Junction and Middle Park very much. I think the other areas of LC are way more interesting sad.gif

I don't know, Dukes is alright. I like the large towers (or whatever they are) in Meadows Park, they are fun to parachute off of. Perhaps if there was a safehouse there I'd like it more.

Half of the time I can't pinpoint the border between Dukes and Broker, so I just call the whole island Broker. Pretty stupid, I know.

mincemate003 the border is that highway that cross between Dukes and Broker lol.gif I think Dukes and Broker are very different, but I like both!!

Dukes is mostly suburban and doesn't have a lot of activity going on besides the airport, so people overlook it. I still enjoy hanging out in Steinway and the projects up there.

Hmm for some reason, I seem to enjoy cruising around, playing Mafiya Work + Deathmatch and doing Drug Wars in Dukes and Broker more than the other boroughs. I really like the neighborhoods there and it's suburban style. I also like cruising by Cerveza Heights, having shootouts with the LCPD and Spanish Lords because of a lot of significant places from GTA: Chinatown Wars.

Yes maybe I like more the suburban areas, like Alderney and Dukes lol.gif

Official General

In the opinions of many GTA fans (out of the GTA IV game itself), Dukes was criticised because it should been a more detailed and accurate representation of the New York City borough of Queens - the real-life location it was based on. Firstly, I think they should have made Dukes (and Broker) much bigger in size. Dukes did have a good set of ghetto housing projects, but there were hardly any gangs in them. Even more disappointing, was the fact that Dukes had NO permanently resident African-American gangs - its real-life version, Queens NYC, is a hotbed of African-American gangsta/hustler culture, street-level drug dealing and gangsta rap. Dukes really should have had African-American gangs, maybe something like a Dukes chapter of the M.O.B. There was also a lack of a permanent Italian Mafia presence in Dukes (and Broker) which was another disappointment - in real-life Queens and Brooklyn are home and headquarters to a majority the New York 5 Mafia Crime Families. Rockstar should have done a lot more with Dukes.

WF the Hobgoblin

I think IV was generally lacking in the gang department everywhere, not just in Dukes.

Edited by WF the Hobgoblin

AlexGTAGamer

But didn't Rockstar Games come under fire from the mayor's office of New York City because of the gangs in the game? I think the mayor's office said that gangs and gang crimes where down in the real life New York City and they didn't like the fact that in GTA IV there was heavy amounts of gangs in parts of the city.

But didn't Rockstar Games come under fire from the mayor's office of New York City because of the gangs in the game? I think the mayor's office said that gangs and gang crimes where down in the real life New York City and they didn't like the fact that in GTA IV there was heavy amounts of gangs in parts of the city.

that's stupid as hell, Liberty City isn't NY.

R* can do whatever the f*ck they want with the fictional city they created.

Official General

@ WF the Hobgoblin

That is not entirely true bro. GTA IV did very well with its portrayal and presence of gangs in general, but there were a few certain flaws in their gang set-up that really did not need to be there in the first place. The worst one was replacing the black street gangs with white biker gangs in North Holland (supposed to Harlem), that just did not make any sense whatsoever. The other one was the lack of African-American gangs in Dukes and the lack of Italian Mafiosi in Dukes and Broker, like I've already stated. Some people don't like the fact that the gangs were hard to spot amongst the general civilian crowd in their areas, but I quite liked that, it was more realistic, especially in places like New York. But other than that, Rockstar did a brilliant job overall with the gangs in GTA IV.

I think what you really mean is that we hardly ever saw the gangs randomly committing crimes in the streets or having shoot-outs with each other (other than the player and police), hence why we hardly felt the presence of gangs in Liberty City other than when we were doing the missions.

@ AlexGTAgamer

Don't be silly. What you said there was actually quite stupid, no offence. Greasepalms is right - Liberty City, as much as it closely resembles New York, is NOT New York. That is the fact in question here. So the mayor of New York has no relevant influence whatsoever in the making of Liberty City in GTA IV, no matter what he says or thinks. Rockstar can do whatever they want and they cannot be legally challenged in any way. Your reasoning is definitely wrong on that one.

Edited by Official General

Docfaustino

Just to be clear since people get mixed up so much.

Dukes = Francis International Airport, Willis, Meadows Park, Meadow Hills, Steinway, East Island City, Cerveza Heights.

Beechwood City, Schottler and BOABO are NOT a part of Dukes.

Dukes is based on Queens, and Queens doesn't exactly have the best reputation in the world. I've lived in the tri-state area, and the media likes to cover every single shooting that comes out of Queens. It has a reputation of being purely minority, and during my time in the area, a couple kids were teased for coming out of there. Things change. Right now Brooklyn and Manhattan is glamorous, so they get no flack. Queens is a thoroughfare between all of New York, but the average Brooklyn or Manhattanite really only passes through the broken-down areas. In their eyes, it's inferior, which is part of why it's got this bad reputation. The Bronx is more broken-down, but it's also completely foreign to anyone from the glamorous parts of NYC. There's no fun making jokes if you've never seen the place.

Official General you're right! I can't understand how so many Angels Of Death are in Northwood/North Holland......I see more bikers than black gangsters!

Pedochu this is so ridiculous because Dukes seems a wonderful place to live! I'd rather live in Dukes than in Algonquin!

Dukes = Airport

Broker = Russians

That's what I see from it, same island same sh*t.

Well looking at the map;

the airport looks like a Vagina and dukes is the Ahole.

Then again, I’ve been drinking and having odd thoughts, so, whatever. alien.gif

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

AlexGTAGamer yes!! I heard it! I hate these politicans who love to criticize my dear GTA angry.gifangry.gif !!

AlexGTAGamer
AlexGTAGamer yes!! I heard it! I hate these politicans who love to criticize my dear GTA angry.gifangry.gif !!

You're not the only one.

The fact that the only gang or mob based in Dukes is the Faustin Bratva allows characters to easily mock it

Actually in terms of the number of gangs with visible turf in the borough Dukes has 4 (Irish, Jamaicans, Spanish Lords, AOD), the same number as Algonquin (Italian Mafia, Triads, NHH and Spanish Lords). It is also worth noting that while not visible in the borough in-game The Messina family is known to operate in Dukes. And while the two Bratva familys do have some influence in Dukes it is fairly safe to say they are both based in Broker.

Besides Dukes doesnt cop nearly as much flak as Alderney

Yes I don't think Dukes is so boring like everyone says sad.gif

Like others have said, a lot of people criticize because they feel that a few things were left out of Dukes. I would of appreciated if Rockstar had added more organized crime in Dukes & Broker. Absolutely makes no since that Algonquin & Alderney has all the Italian families when Dukes (Queens) & Broker (Brooklyn) is where the five families operate of out the most in real life. Other than that, I kind of like the vibe that Dukes gives off.