The Passive Voice

AB0333

Hello smile.gif

I have an english test tomorrow and I need help. That test will test my knowledge in the Passive Voice, but there are some things that aren't clear to me.

Here are some exercises that are going to be on test:

1. Change the sentences into the present passive:

a) Lots of children watch TV.

b) My brother is cooking dinner.

c) We eat too many sweets.

My answers:

a) TV is watched by lots of children.

b) Dinner is cooked by my brother. (is or was??)

c) Too many sweets are eaten by us. - (Hmm? Is it right? It doesn't make sense for me.)

2. Write the questions in the passive:

a) Who/television/invent/by?

b) When/Gandhi/kill?

c) Where/first plane/fly?

My answers:

a) Who invented television by?

b) When was Gandhi killed? (Or... ? I don't know! It really makes me angry!)

c) Where did first plane fly? (I know it isn't right, but I don't have any idea how to do it)

That's what I want to know. Can someone find some time to take a look at this and tell me what's wrong and what's right? Please?

Thanks in advance. smile.gif

W3WQuU9.jpg

All the kids that surrounded me had superheroes - superman, spiderman etc. Paul was my superhero.

Damn you, Carrera GT.

When asking for help when learning a language apart from your own it is usually bad to ask a native speaker of that language, because they just know it all instinctively from experience, so they won't be able to help you grasp the syntax.

Also, some of those sentences simply don't make sense in the passive and are better off in the present tense. The past tense versions of the passive are the ones which you're most likely to see when reading the English language anyway.

Basically it seems like this worksheet is poorly worder and that the questions don't make sense. And your English is fine, don't worry about it. I know that this isn't what you wanted, but for the reasons stated above I can't help you very much at all.

Edited by Josh

Hello smile.gif

I have an english test tomorrow and I need help. That test will test my knowledge in the Passive Voice, but there are some things that aren't clear to me.

Here are some exercises that are going to be on test:

1. Change the sentences into the present passive:

a) Lots of children watch TV.

b) My brother is cooking dinner.

c) We eat too many sweets.

My answers:

a) TV is watched by lots of children.

b) Dinner is cooked by my brother. (is or was??)

c) Too many sweets are eaten by us. - (Hmm? Is it right? It doesn't make sense for me.)

2. Write the questions in the passive:

a) Who/television/invent/by?

b) When/Gandhi/kill?

c) Where/first plane/fly?

My answers:

a) Who invented television by?

b) When was Gandhi killed? (Or... ? I don't know! It really makes me angry!)

c) Where did first plane fly? (I know it isn't right, but I don't have any idea how to do it)

That's what I want to know. Can someone find some time to take a look at this and tell me what's wrong and what's right? Please?

Thanks in advance. smile.gif

A) The TV is watched by lots of children.

B) Dinner is being cooked by my brother.

C) Too many sweets are eaten by us.

These are my responses-your responses seem fine, too. For B, it is certainly "is"-the imperfect in this instance (was) would express a time in the past, as in, "dinner was cooked". Your response is therefore grammatically correct, but English has two forms of the present tense of which you need to be aware:

1.Simple present, ie "I go"; suggests that I regularly go as well as being in the process of going.

2.Complex present, ie "I am going"; implies that I am in the process of going.

The complex is present seems more appropriate to describe the brother cooking at the time of describing the action, so I'd use "dinner is being cooked by my brother".

A) By whom was television invented? OR Whom was television invented by?

B) When was Ghandi killed?

C) Where was the first plane flown? (you just used the imperfect tense for this).

You're answers are almost perfect, mate, just a few minor issues.

Try to remember that all the passive needs is inversion of subject and object, use of the right case as a result, the correct form of the verb "to be" to go with the subject and the correct form of the perfect tense.

As Josh said, many of these sentences often would be formed using the present indicative rather than the passive tense.

When asking for help when learning a language apart from your own it is usually bad to ask a native speaker of that language, because they just know it all instinctively from experience, so they won't be able to help you grasp the syntax.

Also, some of those sentences simply don't make sense in the passive and are better off in the present tense. The past tense versions of the passive are the ones which you're most likely to see when reading the English language anyway.

Basically it seems like this worksheet is poorly worder and that the questions don't make sense.

Completely agree with you, but tell that to my english teacher.

And your English is fine, don't worry about it.

Yeah, I know it is. But things like these are confusing me.

Btw, how will I report these requests/instructions:

1."Can you wait here, please?"

-He asked me to wait here.

2. "Please don't cry."

He asked me to stop crying. - or??

3. "Stop shouting!"

He told me to stop shouting.

4. Don't be so silly!"

He told me to stop being so silly." - ?

Thanks for all. smile.gif

W3WQuU9.jpg

All the kids that surrounded me had superheroes - superman, spiderman etc. Paul was my superhero.

Damn you, Carrera GT.

The most basic way to tell the difference between active and passive voice is active is when the subject is doing something, and passive is when the subject is having something done to it.

As for how you're reporting those requests, yeah they're pretty much spot on.

user posted image

Uhh... OK.

Thanks.

A) The TV is watched by lots of children.

B) Dinner is being cooked by my brother.

C) Too many sweets are eaten by us.

These are my responses-your responses seem fine, too. For B, it is certainly "is"-the imperfect in this instance (was) would express a time in the past, as in, "dinner was cooked". Your response is therefore grammatically correct, but English has two forms of the present tense of which you need to be aware:

1.Simple present, ie "I go"; suggests that I regularly go as well as being in the process of going.

2.Complex present, ie "I am going"; implies that I am in the process of going.

The complex is present seems more appropriate to describe the brother cooking at the time of describing the action, so I'd use "dinner is being cooked by my brother".

A) By whom was television invented? OR Whom was television invented by?

B) When was Ghandi killed?

C) Where was the first plane flown? (you just used the imperfect tense for this).

You're answers are almost perfect, mate, just a few minor issues.

Try to remember that all the passive needs is inversion of subject and object, use of the right case as a result, the correct form of the verb "to be" to go with the subject and the correct form of the perfect tense.

As Josh said, many of these sentences often would be formed using the present indicative rather than the passive tense.

Thanks, it was very helpful. icon14.gif

It's much clearer to me now, but I'll take better look at second exercise later.

Thanks.

Edited by AB0333

W3WQuU9.jpg

Damn you, Carrera GT.

this worksheet is poorly worder

You speak a english? tounge.gif har dee har har..

What you've said about not asking native English speakers is a fair point, but don't forget some of which have devoted their studies and even careers to the English language, and thus are indeed very good references for questions like these.

I may not be an "expert," but I used to teach business English at the Economics University of Prague, and I dealt with questions like these all the time. The responses so far in this thread are pretty good. If I can offer anything else, it would be this:

One of the reasons the Passive voice is used, is because we don't always need to know who committed the action (i.e. the "by..." phrase isn't always necessary).

Example:

They were asking so many questions (active)

So many questions were being asked (passive)

I purposefully omitted "by them" in that last sentence because it simply isn't important in this case, hence why we use the passive voice! But for the sake of your exam, it won't hurt to add the "by.." clause because that's probably what your teacher is looking for to make sure you understand the syntax.

You English is quite advanced AB0333, and if you score less than 90% on your exam then I'll be astonished! Please report back with your grade! wink.gif

Good luck on your test.

Thanks. smile.gif

I may not be an "expert," but I used to teach business English at the Economics University of Prague, and I dealt with questions like these all the time. The responses so far in this thread are pretty good. If I can offer anything else, it would be this:

One of the reasons the Passive voice is used, is because we don't always need to know who committed the action (i.e. the "by..." phrase isn't always necessary).

Example:

They were asking so many questions (active)

So many questions were being asked (passive)

I purposefully omitted "by them" in that last sentence because it simply isn't important in this case, hence why we use the passive voice! But for the sake of your exam, it won't hurt to add the "by.." clause because that's probably what your teacher is looking for to make sure you understand the syntax.

Yeah, I understand why is passive voice used in english but I wanted to make sure were my answers right. Thanks for your help. smile.gif

You English is quite advanced AB0333, and if you score less than 90% on your exam then I'll be astonished! Please report back with your grade!

Thanks, it's really nice to hear it from someone who worked at the University. smile.gif

The results of exam will come in Thursday. I have to say I'm not really satisfied how I did it, but we'll see. confused.gif

P.S. First exercise looked almost same as this one:

http://www.englishgrammar.org/passive-voice-exercise/

Seems like my teacher took it from here, but it was a bit shorter (10 instead of 15 sentences).

I made mistake on 6th, 7th, and 10th sentence, but I'm not really sure. I think she changed 6th a bit. happy.gif

Edited by AB0333

W3WQuU9.jpg

Damn you, Carrera GT.

Adam Jensen

Passive voice is the most retarded thing I had to learn in school. It never makes sense and it just sounds stupid. People barely ever use it anyway.

Passive voice is the most retarded thing I had to learn in school. It never makes sense and it just sounds stupid. People barely ever use it anyway.

Hahaha, true. lol.gif

W3WQuU9.jpg

Damn you, Carrera GT.

Hahaha, true. lol.gif

Uh, no it isn't. It's one of the most patently false statements I've ever read.

Ridiculous.

vbSWr1A.gif

you can play with syntax a lot in english and still be correct.

in english you can play a lot with syntax and be correct still.

get it?

user posted image

$$H New York Crew

Hahaha, true. lol.gif

Ridiculous.

In English it's often used, but, from experience, it's seldom used in German. In fact, the tense is largely avoided in French, so I've heard.

In English, the most rarely used thing is probably the accusative case of interrogative adjectives, ie, 'whom did you see?' is often used erroneously with the nominative ("who did you see?'). This just shows how English is evolving into a language without cases-not that that's a bad thing.

Hi! I'm not good in English, unfortunately cryani.gif But I've never had English classes, so it's quite hard for me to write in English tounge2.gif At least in portuguese we use a lot of passive voice! Oh and AB0333 Bósnia and Herzegovina is one of my favorite countries!!

Adam Jensen

Hahaha, true. lol.gif

Ridiculous.

I was talking about passive voice as it is taught in schools in non-English speaking countries. Even teachers don't to use it and the examples in English tests never make any sense whatsoever.

Ok, whatever, my bad. tounge.gif

I learn 2 (german, english and reading arabic text) foreign languages at a time, so don't throw up.

W3WQuU9.jpg

Damn you, Carrera GT.