Is it me or are films not scary anymore?

VercettiCrimeFamily

VercettiCrimeFamily

Hey Folks,

Where have all of the scary/horror movies gone?

The scariest movie and 'best' in my opinion was The Ring and The Sixth Sense, they scared the life out of me. Haven't seen a scary movie's that good since. I can't understand why movies are getting less scary as time goes on.. so yeah is it me or does anyone else feel the same way?

Watch japanese,korean horror movies.Most of them are pretty scary.American horror nowadays is just gore,gore,gore and more gore.Gore is not scary it's just gross.

AlexGTAGamer

In my opinion a horror movie shouldn't be about gore, it should have moments that make you jump in it like looking through a key hole of a door and not seeing anything and then suddenly something jumps out and screams. A horror movie that makes someone grip a cusion and then someone in real life comes into the room and says something like "Hey" or says there name which makes the person jump thinking that it's the bad guy in the movie behind them.

Horror to me is something that makes you uneasy. Something that makes you unable to relax, and to a point of severe intensity. It's easy to see the comic relief in horror films nowadays because they have no idea how to subtlety pull it off. It's always a sex scene or a very stupid comedy moment that gains a cult following for it's ironic - yet stupid - nature.

Anyway, films nowadays may not be as horrifying, but it could be for a number of other reasons aside from 'it's not scareh'.

kzgN7qp.png

VercettiCrimeFamily

@Unoriginal44 I agree with you, horror movies I like are the ones where I feel uneasy, the only two wear the ring & sixth sense, most of the new movies have all sex scenes and humor, thats one thing you don't want in a horror.

The other thing is, with all this technology I would of thought Hollywood would be able to come up with some awesome up to date horror movie that will be something special and new.

Harwood Butch3r

I know a lot will disagree, but I found Paranormal Activity scarier than most horror movies made these days. First movie in a long time after I watched it I felt I had to look over my shoulder, and got a bit skittish over any bit of noise in the house.

While I don't think it's the scariest movie ever made I liked it, because of the tension it created which is what I think is missing from a lot of new horror movies. I haven't seen 2 yet, but I will one day.

I find movies about ghosts, and stuff to be the most scary. Slasher movies like Friday The 13th, Halloween etc while I find enjoyable aren't really "scary". Just violent. Just like the Saw series. I love it, but it's more for grossing out the audience than genuinely being scary.

Jumping on the psychological horror wagon. Movies that can make you scared of the bathroom mirror in the night and sleep with the light on are better than Saw and Hostel. Gore can make you uncomfortable but dread is a lot more unnerving.

Check out the Marble Hornets series on YouTube for a good example of this. You never actually see the antagonist do anything explicitly aggressive but you'll sh*t yourself every time it's on screen.

user posted image

M. H. Hunter III

I agree with Robinski here in that suspense is far better for a horror movie then direct gore, or the more popular sudden event.

Like having a severed head appear or having an antagonist jump out towards the screen screaming or brandishing a weapon. Which seems that newer horror movies rely far to much on that aspect of making you jump all the time for them to properly be a horror film, basically making the movie equivalent of a youtube screamer video. confused.gif

And SAW type of movies I watch more of less to see the traps they have in the movie over this jigsaw guy that isn't scary in the least.

Having people die or potentially die in interesting fashions is more interesting then the thriller/horror they tried.

La famiglia è tutto

The strength of a family,
like the strength of an army is in its loyalty to each other.
~ Mario Puzo ~

Your not looking hard enough. There are hundreds of great movies that never make it to the cinemas.

WbZaxRP.png

M. H. Hunter III

True enough, but that says more about the general public that seemingly prefer 'newer' type of horror movies over the actual proper ones that made the genre in the first place doesn't it?

But also it does take some effort on our part to seek out these movies that may've never gone to a theater over a title that has gone and been released.

It just is a bit of effort to browse through lets say a netflix section of titles because there can be so many that it does take quite a bit of time there.

La famiglia è tutto

The strength of a family,
like the strength of an army is in its loyalty to each other.
~ Mario Puzo ~

VercettiCrimeFamily
Watch japanese,korean horror movies.Most of them are pretty scary.American horror nowadays is just gore,gore,gore and more gore.Gore is not scary it's just gross.

I have heard that Japanese horror movies are really scary, however I hate watching movies with subtitles..

A Serbian Film.

^'nuf said really.

I don't think it is even considered a Horror, but if you watch that movie without being disturbed, disgusted and shocked you belong in a hospital.

AMFsigscaled10.png

Long Haired Freaky Guy

IMO, it's not that they aren't less scary, it's just that they seem to be running out of new ideas of how to make us jump, and they all seem to cliched. Every new horror film I've seen, you know exactly where the 'thing' is going to jump out and what-not. To echo others, films that use prolonged suspense tend to be the best ones, with PA2 been the best one I've seen for a couple of years now.

Most films tend to use dark forests nowdays, and it's getting done to death. PA2 did well because it used a 'home', the place where you're meant to feel the most safe, as the setting, and it worked so well.