So I'm gonna buy a new TV...

Kaj.

Alright, here's the deal. I'm getting $911 back from the government in my tax return, should be here sometime next week. I've decided I want to buy a new TV since me and my buddy are getting an apartment in May.

That being said,

• We watch all of our TV online, so...
  • ... the TV is gonna be primarily used for gaming.
  • And maybe a movie or two.
  • I want a big ass TV

So I've been looking around and I can get a 50" 1080p plasma display (proper brands, not Dynex or some other sh*t) for $719.99 to $799.99CAD from Best Buy.

Now, my questions are: I know plasma technology has had issues with burn in in the past, is that still a major drawback to gaming on one? Are there any particular specs/features that I should keep an eye out for? Is there anything else I should know, I don't want to spend near a grand and f*ck it up.

smile.gif

user posted image

Fozzy Fozborne

The only problems with plasma TVs are their massive power consumption (and subsequent heat production) and the input lag.

The power consumption has gotten better with time, but still isn't as good as an LCD/LED model.

Input lag isn't a big deal on most TVs, but older ones can ruin gaming.

Also, a lot of people will disagree with me on this but I'd recommend an extended warranty. I know loads of people with expensive TVs that break just after the warranty and they are completely screwed.

Well power consumption isn't really an issue since the rent includes utilities. I was gonna buy a LED, but I want a better size upgrade from the 32" LCD i have now, and for my money I'd be stuck with a 40" LED with 1080p.

If anyone has the time, check out BestBuy.ca and give me some recommendations. Budget is $799.99CAD before tax.

user posted image

If you can, stay away from BestBuy. They jack up the price compared to what you can get the exact same thing for at other places.

Shop around some other stores. If you have a Fry's then try that, I don't know what Canada has.

Any thoughts to a projector? You can do pretty damn big then.

Revision3.com's Tekzilla just this week did a comparison of 2 projectors; a really high end compared to one that one of the host of the show got but in general has some useful info to keep in mind. I think either on Tekzilla or HDNation that did more FYI type stuff about projectors.

To be honest, in my city at least Best Buy is probably the cheapest place to go on my budget. My city doesn't have much in terms of TV/electronics stores and any of the competing stores don't have anything I'm looking for, for the money I have to spend. I was thinking of a projector, but it's not practical for what I want in the long run.

user posted image

Personally I've only had experience with 2 brands of TVs; Samsung (mine) and LG (dad's)

The thing I like my Samsung is the AllShare (aka DLNA) support which let me stream media from my computer to my TV over the local network. Some Samsungs have Internet@ basically have wedgets that let you access things like Netflix and Youtube among others. Mine doesn't have this but the blu-ray HTS I have from Samsung does. This sort of thing was too new for my dad's LG to have.

The one thing I don't like is that Samsung doesn't pass surround sound audio from HDMI to it's optical (digital audio). LG does do this. I would prefer this so I can set my cable box to be on surround sound all of the time and turn on the HTS only when I want to hear the surround sound. As it is with Samsung I have to switch the cable box to surround, then turn on the HTS, and it means I need to have a optical cable from the TV to HTS as one from the cable box as well.

Finn 7 five 11

I am not going to recommend a tv, some people prefer some other prefer others, Plasma is great, color is much better even though they use more electricity, burn in isn't really a problem,just don't leave your tv with a static image for ages, i have friends who have plasmas for gaming and they have no issues.

When you go to the shop don't go for the tv with the best specs, ignore those first and find a tv with picture quality in your price range, and haggle, don't be afraid to attempt a discount, you could save up to about $100 if you can find the same items in two stores and pit them against each other.

Plasma is the sh*t, especially for the price. If your more into warmer colors on TV, Plasma is perfect for you.

Finn 7 five 11
Plasma is the sh*t, especially for the price. If your more into warmer colors on TV, Plasma is perfect for you.

Plasmas have better color all round, not just warmer colors, they have deeper blacks and whiter whites.

If you want big and cheap, Plasma is the way to go. Even as someone who has to sell the merits of LCD or LED TVs over Plasmas on a daily basis to get a salary, you still can't really beat them for their inexpensive quality.

As a result, I'm not well versed in the best sets around at the mo. Certainly check out Panasonic though.

My cousin has a 47" plasma and he uses a 120mm fan to keep that sucker cool.

As for buying a HDTV, you need to calculate the distance of where sitting to the HDTV. Have a small distance and a humongous TV and you won't have a great view experience. Just checked out BestBuy.ca and there isn't anything of a major brand except Panasonic...

HDTV distance calculator

alternative calculator

Dude, go to the Bay and ask about recent disco's. I just bought a Samsung 48" LCD (true LED backlit - the f*cker's retardedly thin)TV regular cost $2100 for $1100.

The salesmen there aren't pushy if you act friendly and saavy. And you can always do your own research on the spot via iPhone etc. to nail things down.

I avoided Plasma because I live in a bright apartment and the f*cking glare would drive me crazy. That's really the only consideration I had. Plasma can look brilliant, but that glossiness is a bitch.

Also - unless you're some autistic savant cinephile, don't worry about the viewing distance calculations. Just go for one you like. It's the only one you'll see in the room, in the end. wink.gif

And to completely counter Fozzy, never buy the extended warranty.

Edited by Otter

Hopefully I'll be getting my return in the mail in the next few days, maybe today if I'm lucky. Not lucky. Damnit.

I wish I had a bit more money to throw at a new TV so I could get a really good one, but I'm moving on May 1st and that'll probably be eating most of my extra cash. Hopefully I'll find a nice deal somewhere.

Edited by -Kajun-
user posted image

Picked up my TV today, got it from Leon's for $797+taxes/gov't environmental fee.

Pretty happy with it, it's a Samsung 46" LCD. Model LN46C630. I'll throw some pictures up after I get home from work.

EDIT: Ah sh*t, double posted.

user posted image

You bastage! Nice TV, it's one I would have gotten had it been cheaper when I got my 40"

Too bad it's not the 650. The 650 and 6500 TVs there is a free app in the Apple AppStore that lets you control the TV for iPhone/iPodTouch. This makes me want to check the AppStore the next time I get a TV from any brand. Plus the 650 has web apps like Netflix.

Here she is in all her glory, 13.3" Macbook for size reference.

user posted image

Pic of my previous TV from ages ago.

user posted image

biggrin.gif

user posted image

Nice price, and the info I read on the TV shows it to be pretty damn nice.

I picked up a 40" Insignia LED-LCD a few months back. For those that don't know, Insignia is Best Buy's brand. For those that do, yeah I know they're products usually aren't the best. But really, it's an amazing TV. It's got an excellent brightness, the colors are deep and rich, and it's 1080p with 120hz refresh rate. A few HDMI inputs, RGB input, and even coax in. It's got a nice gloss black bezel and a glass stand that makes it look very elegant, not that cheap flat black plastic. The best part? $450. Yeah, you heard me, $450 USD.

One thing is, I can't seem to get my computer to display at 120hz, it defaults to 60hz. Not sure if that's the VGA cable, graphics card or what limiting it. Probably would do 120 over an HDMI cable, but I don't have an HDMI out on my card.

I've also noticed when the screen is backlit but no picture, some bright spots in all four corners... their even and not noticeable during viewing of anything, but it seems to have appeared recently.

The menu for settings sucks, and the remote is ugly (not a huge deal).

And there's a setting to automatically adjust for the best highs/lows/darks/blacks/etc but it is sh*t. It takes a good second to slowly transition, and if you're watching a movie by the time it adjusts, it's likely flipping to a different scene/view that's brighter so it's constantly readjusting. I just have it set to the normal setting for it to avoid that sh*t, so the blacks aren't as dark as they could be.

Over all, a f*cking steal. I've got it hooked up to my computer, sit on my couch ~6 feet away. It's a beautiful set up, I couldn't imagine having my primary computer at a desk ever again.

1xHtopY.png

Awesome Kaj! almost the same model as mine! (I bought the UN model.)

Have fun. My only advice - turn off the "motion flow" or "clear view" or "tru motion" or whatever it's called. wink.gif