I might get a gaming rig...

Finn 7 five 11

Finn 7 five 11

Alright, i have been contemplating building a PC, spending up to a grand (not including monitor mouse+keyboard) should i do it, i have a PS3,and a wii, but should a build a gaming PC just to enjoy the faster load times, better graphics and the like, or should i stick to console?

I have been pondering this a while and i need someone to tip me over the edge and do it.

Another thing i was wondering was how available are PC games? Are older PC games (say 5-10 years old) hard to come by?

If i do build a PC and next gen consoles come out i would probably buy a console anyway should i do it?

P.S i am aware of console capabilities blah blah blah i do not want any stupid "XBOX360 is awesome" or i will ask for the thread to be locked. i just want to know if it is worth it in some Gamers opinions particularly those who have experience on PC.

(not sure whether to have this in gaming or tech and pc)

Personally I love my PC, superior to any console and means I can play the games at their full potential. Having said that PC games normally get released quite a while after the console versions, but if you have a PS3 I guess that's not really an issue. I'd say well worth getting, old games are still easy to get, hell you can pick up a III VC and SA triple pack for like £10 in the UK. Of course on PC you also get the ability to mod, record video, take screenshots etc. So yes you should definitely look into it, make sure there are a few games you'd be interested in playing first though, don't spend all the money building the perfect PC and then get bored after 5 minutes.

Apothecaries Weight

If I had the money I'd build one, If your moneys tight, you know, like save your money for more important things.

You have a PS3 for the meanwhile, your not missing out on terribly much.

GoG and steam should satisfy any need you have for old games on the PC. Old games are extremly accessible on the PC.

More than that, PC's are just better in terms of performance, just hook up a controller for any action/adventure and you are golden. You then have mods and all that good stuff.

Only bad thing is that we sometimes get sh*tty ports every other time, oh well.

QF1SfST.png

It really depends on what type of games you like, some developers take full advantage of the PC but other devs just do a quick port.Do you like valve or crytek?

This thread reminds me... I really need to finish my rig, maybe before the weekend. It just needs a case bored.gif

Finn 7 five 11
It really depends on what type of games you like, some developers take full advantage of the PC but other devs just do a quick port.Do you like valve or crytek?

See thats the thing, i really would like to play those games, but i cannot since i don't have a gaming rig, whilst i say i don't care about graphics, i rather gameplay, but if the graphics are there i want to be able to enjoy them.

I hear some good things so far, and always have about PC, i think i might build one, which brings me to my next question.

I know plenty about tv's, Monitor vs TV.

I have a good TV 100Hz, 42inch, Full HD LCD tv (1080p), anyway i was wondering why i should get a monitor if i have my TV, does the screen get stretched or not fit properly? Is the colors and such better?

What are the real benefits of a monitor?

I think you should go for it, I've started, sort of, but with money being tight it's a slow process. Also I use a 32inch HD TV as a monitor, and it looks great, I also have a 1080p 21inch Samsung monitor, which does look better, but not by much, so I think you'd be fine with your TV.

See thats the thing, i really would like to play those games, but i cannot since i don't have a gaming rig, whilst i say i don't care about graphics, i rather gameplay, but if the graphics are there i want to be able to enjoy them.

I hear some good things so far, and always have about PC, i think i might build one, which brings me to my next question.

I know plenty about tv's, Monitor vs TV.

I have a good TV 100Hz, 42inch, Full HD LCD tv (1080p), anyway i was wondering why i should get a monitor if i have my TV, does the screen get stretched or not fit properly? Is the colors and such better?

What are the real benefits of a monitor?

A decent monitor will always be better than a 1080i TV, I had so much trouble trying run my PC via a 32" samsung TV. The results we're pretty good though

user posted image

Better than that bullsh*t 720p 30fps on consoles, with its textures loading right your face. 1080, 60fps, high settings wins.

Still prefer my 1680 x 1050 (Master race, right oldage?)

Monitors just have a better response time, a decent gaming monitor is usually between 2ms - 7ms, when I swapped from playing my xbox to a monitor I definitely saw a insane improvement. As for the avaliability of PC games, it's ridiculous. Steam has insane sales (Awesome $10 sale happening, I'm not sure if it's finished though) with tons of classics, there's also a website that sells some real old games but I can't remember the name of it right now.

The most defining moment of my PC gaming experience was a week after getting it set up and using Steam I purchased Metro 2033 and Just Cause 2 for $15 and they took a total of 2 hours to download (and thats with my wireless dropping out some of the time too.)

Hope this helps.

Would I be able to play most modern games at medium with these specs? I'm thinking about buying this computer in a few months:

-2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7

-4GB 1333MHz

-750GB 5400-rpm

-AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5

Would I be able to play most modern games at medium with these specs? I'm thinking about buying this computer in a few months:

-4GB 1333MHz

-750GB 5400-rpm

You getting a macbook pro or something?

-4GB 1333MHz

-750GB 5400-rpm

A MacBook Pro seems like the computer I am going to get. I will use Bootcamp to use Windows 7 for gaming:). But are those specs good for gaming? I know pretty much nothing about good specs for PC gaming.

OverTheBelow

-4GB 1333MHz

-750GB 5400-rpm

A MacBook Pro seems like the computer I am going to get. I will use Bootcamp to use Windows 7 for gaming:). But are those specs good for gaming? I know pretty much nothing about good specs for PC gaming.

I'd call them 'meh' specs for gaming. Provided your resolution is 1680x1050 or lower then it'd be find. As long as you aren't spending $3000 on that mac, go for it.

DU8afL0.jpg

I'd call them 'meh' specs for gaming.

They're better than mine, and so far I've only run into a few games that I can't run at high settings with a steady framerate over 45.

Slosten.gif

-4GB 1333MHz

-750GB 5400-rpm

I'm getting the same soon

Read this thread first

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1102639