Free Rice

ska

So, this website is most likely known by a majority of you on here; but seeing as it's so helpful, I figured I'd make a topic.

Basically, Freerice.com is a website in which you answer quiz questions in exchange for grains of rice that will be donated to the World Food Programme. For example, you answer one of the quiz question in exchange for ten grains of rice. As you progress through the questions, you also progress through different levels, varying on difficulty. So far, over 89 billion grains have been donated.

Personally, I think it's a great website. I've been answering questions in my spare time, and it's nice to know it will go towards something bigger. I seriously encourage you guys to give it a try.

Link

7FTgFLB.png

Bookmarked, thanks. smile.gif

I've gotten up to 1,000 grains. Probably not a lot to others who have tried, but I'll definitely return to the site to try for higher. I did it on English vocabulary, so I learned a couple new words I never even seen before, so it has educational value too. lol

It's nice to be able to have a little fun and for it to go to a worthy cause too. smile.gif

We've used this a bit in school, it's great. Such a simple concept, yet it helps tons of people. I love it. icon14.gif

Long Haired Freaky Guy

Currently on 1500 grains. smile.gif

Great website, it's fun and it helps save some lives.

So we don't actually get any of this rice, ourselves?

Lame. confused.gif

uYW1Olw.png

That's a nice "programme." Aids in education and world hunger at the same time.

Adler adds link to sig.
23088_s.gif

Can't they just donate rice without having to make people do quizzes?

Or is there some kinda bandwidth ad revenue thing?

Can't they just donate rice without having to make people do quizzes?

Or is there some kinda bandwidth ad revenue thing?

That's what I always say with sh*t like this. There's gotta be money to be made for them or something. Otherwise they'd just send the damn rice. They should throw some beans in there, too. Perfect meal. And what ever happened to that "rice shortage" bullsh*t that happened a while back? What a joke.

user posted image

Long Haired Freaky Guy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the Ads on the page that actually pay for the rice, and every time you answer a question it loads a new Ad?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the Ads on the page that actually pay for the rice, and every time you answer a question it loads a new Ad?

That is more or less correct. I highly doubt the people behind the site are just sitting on mounds of rice waiting for you and I to answer trivia questions correctly, thus putting them in a good enough mood to feed the hungry.

Namaste.

Thank you so much for making this topic. It's truly such a great cause. I got to 440 grains in my first try, I'm gonna give it another shot now.

Edit: 3200 grains smile.gif.

Edited by Warlord.
FIOszpJ.gif

I saw this and frowned:

user posted image

No, no it doesn't.

|velocity| = speed would be correct? tounge.gif

Long Haired Freaky Guy
I saw this and frowned:

user posted image

No, no it doesn't.

Google defines it as:

speed: distance travelled per unit time

So, yeah, it's right.

So, yeah, it's right.

No it's not. Velocity is a vector quantity that has size AND direction whilst speed is a scalar quantity that has only size.

Two different things.

I've got a few thousand rice grains now - karma's all good muppetmaster_karma.gif

3 minutes spent on donating 1010 grains of rice.

I'm helping the hungry now. cool.gif

You are an aperture through which the universe is looking at and exploring itself.

I thought the questions would be hard. They're not.

This makes me feel good. I'm a do-gooder now biggrin.gif

JOIN NOW!!!

user posted image

leik oh em jeez!

Got up to 2230 grains and got into some harder questions. Probably going to bed now, will do some more tomorrow.

I appreciate the website's cause, but is this really all that effective? I mean, anyone can go online and click some answers to "donate" rice. You might think you're a good person for doing that, but it would mean a lot more if you actually donated money or really go out there and help.

Have you ever questioned how this website actually works? How do the people behind this organization get the money to pay for these grains of rice?

Of course donating money or helping out yourself is much more effective, but you have to understand that not all people are able to.

The site is very effective btw. Remember, it's not just one person who's contributing, at the end of the day it all adds up.

The organisation donates rice with the money they make from the ads in the site. The ad changes each time you get a question right.

FIOszpJ.gif

It's sort of funny how they pass of easy questions as the excuse to give more. Really, it's all up to the person playing to decide how much they'll give, as the questions don't have any difficulty, and they're repeatable without any consequence. tounge.gif

It's nice to feel like I'm helping, and it's helping me brush up on a few things I forgot, so it's good in my book. I'll try to spread awareness.

EDIT: http://www.freeflour.com/Education.aspx is a bit more diverse in the questions.

Edited by Unoriginal44

kzgN7qp.png

Long Haired Freaky Guy
So, yeah, it's right.

No it's not. Velocity is a vector quantity that has size AND direction whilst speed is a scalar quantity that has only size.

Two different things.

Well f*ck, you should send them a letter of complaint then, especially since it's that bad you frowned. f*ck the good cause, they made a mistake!

Well f*ck, you should send them a letter of complaint then, especially since it's that bad you frowned. f*ck the good cause, they made a mistake!

I'm just been a pedantic dick. Regardless, they are getting a mild letter of annoyance very soon...