The Country Topic

TheJonesy

I'm curious to see if any fellow GTAFers are country bumpkins, or atleast Southern Rock fans.

David Allen Coe anyone? Maybe George Strait? Bocephus?

• 3 months later...

David Allen Coe is pretty hilarious. I was invited to one of his shows earlier this year but couldn't attend due to work. I don't really enjoy all of this modern pop country bullsh*t in the mainstream. It's the underground country music that is the best. Ryan Bingham especially. That guy rocks. I've been blastin' his album Mescalito for days.

user posted image

In SA, the game... I find the country a bit limiting, but still very nice. I hope that Rockstar will again use some licensed Country music, if you're talking about the USA, it's pretty damn hard to ignore.

And just to note, Country music has been raised a few times here in the past, but people aren't particularly drawn to it.

Like I said, I hate what the general country music is. These people like Tim McGraw and Rascal Flatts and all those people are awful. They overtwang their accents and sing about tractors and sh*t. The real stuff is just about life, and not overtwanged. It's more simplistic, but more emotional and real. The sh*t they play on the radio is usually complete sh*t. All of the Nashville corporate jerkoffs.

user posted image

This is a good example of true country, in my opinion.

And this.

You got guys like Ryan Bingham, Hayes Carll, Justin Townes Earle, etc that don't get much fame and fortune. But they are the folks who should be on the radio more often.

Edited by Jake
user posted image

Kudos to Jeff Bridges for Crazy Heart. He worked with T Bone Burnett who is having some impact behind the scenes as of late

Yeah. That one I posted was Bingham and T-Bone. I listened to Bridge's acoustic version of it too, both good. Although I still prefer Bingham's. Definitely a great song, despite whatever people's thoughts about country music are. Bridge's songs from Crazy Heart are really nice as well. Very cool tunes. People know me as hating country and for good reason. All of the stuff that comes out in the mainstream isn't country. And what I consider to be real country, no one even knows the artists I speak of. Funny how that works. Ah well. I'd like to see some of these artists in concert. It's just a more simplistic, real, emotional, and fun ride with real artists. Forget about all of this 'she thinks my tractors sexayyahhhaaa!' nonsense.

Here's a live version of 'Sunrise'. Very cool tune. The actual song starts about 2:30 in. You can listen to the studio version too, it's all good. icon14.gif

And Hayes Carll, this is a good song. Check it out.

Edited by Jake
user posted image

Guys, I'm gonna salute all the classic CDB hits, time to remind y'all how great that man is

Edited by Slamman

TrevorSpeed914

I haaaate modern Country - most of the eighties and nineties were crap too.

Later Glen Campbell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3m-gMrnx8A - GC was never a Country artist to begin with; he's spanned genres from bluegrass to R&B.

Keith Whitley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_dwihE6neQ - One of the best voices to ever come out of Country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3PRgZgcTSU - Keith and Ralph Stanley

Billy Joe Shaver with his son Eddy:

Glen Campbell was on the Muppets I think, but I would wager Hee Haw for sure, Anyone at all remember that comedy show?!?

Southern rock.. Say, would the Allman Brothers Band count?

Some what, yes.

They would FOR SURE, whatcha talkin' bout, there, Willis?!? That is your "real" name, isn't it??