Best processor/graphics card combo <350$

David.

Best processor/graphics card combo for Intel DP35DP? (for gaming) Budget - 600$ 350$

My budget has been cut short to 350$ now which pretty much rules out the idea of getting a new mobo.

I've narrowed down to the two following combos-

1) Q8300 + Sapphire Radeon HD 6850

2) Q9300 + XFX Radeon HD 5770

Which one would be the better choice?

EDIT: I'm open to other combos that fit the budget as well.

Thanks.

Edited by d4v1d

Well...

Id go with the Q8300 and HD6850. There shouldnt be a huge difference in performance between the Q8300 and Q9300 but the HD6850 is noticeably faster than the HD5770 in most benchmarks.

What do you have now for both CPU and GFX?

E7300 and MSI 9400 gt. Yeah, I know I'll need a new PSU as well. I guess a 500W or 550 W should suffice?

My concern is that you're going to buying a CPU from a series that's dying out.

It would be better to save up and get a Core i system. In other words for you, completely rebuild.

I've got a Q8200 and 9800GT and I wanted to get a Q9500 but it's just not worth it to me.

I completely understand what you mean but the thing is that I've been waiting a long time for an upgrade(esp my GFX). After games like Crysis 2 had come out I had decided to upgrade my gfx. And besides saving up another 300 $ will take ages lol.

SyphonPayne

I'm still sportin' the LGA775 love, though if I upgrade, I'll be going LGA1366. My Q6600 @ 3.2 and my 560 Ti are doing me well biggrin.gif .

Anyway, I'm not a big AMD/ATI fan, but if I had only those two choices, I'd go the Q8300/6850 route.

In that case go with the cheapest of the CPUs and the cheapest of the GFX cards. Now if the combos you listed are a combo deal you found and they are both the same price, then I then I might go the 9300 for better CPU performance.

SyphonPayne

That's a good point, getting the best CPU possible, you can always get better GFX later.

Guys- Another question. What's the difference between 128-bit and 256-bit in graphic cards? (5770-128 bit, 6850-256 bit)

Not much, what makes the most difference is the performance of GPU (which is far better in HD6850), not bus width.

74cXSsx.png

Guys- Another question. What's the difference between 128-bit and 256-bit in graphic cards? (5770-128 bit, 6850-256 bit)

Higher bus width means more data can be read in a single read operation. So, in theory, a video card with a 256-bit bus width would be better. However, in practicality, it's only really useful if you're running games at resolutions higher than 1920x1080 with all other settings at their highest values. Otherwise, 128 bits are more than enough.

Anyways, as yojo2 has rightly said, the GPU is where it's at and the 6850 is better in all aspects than the 5770.

Regarding the PSU. My current PSU is 400 W. Which PSU should I get for the new card and processor?

Will this do?

Edited by d4v1d

Wow, very limited selection of PSUs. Only Thermaltake.

Yes that one should do fine.

It will have to do, since there is barely anything to choose from in this store... though it's just an average unit, especially seeing as it's quite expensive.

74cXSsx.png

Computer parts in my country(middle east) is heavily overpriced(nearly 2x the price of shipping the stuff from amazon). The only thing worth getting from here is the PSU as the PSU weighs a lot.