Hunting for a new laptop

Lost-Fender

Lost-Fender

Long time, GTAF. wow.gif

Now, I'm in the hunt for a brand new laptop. It must be good enough for gaming, but the catch is: my budget is between $700 and $850. With my current situation I can't afford to have both a laptop for college and a desktop for gaming, and I need the laptop, so I'll have to settle for that. I've looked for something with a Core i5 or similar and something like a HD 5650. So far I've looked into the Lenovo Y560 series and the Acer Aspire Timeline X AS4820TG-6847, however I'm wary of the reliability and reputation of both brands, because I'm done dealing with toy laptops and sh*tty technical support. Are they any good? If you could throw me any suggestions that'd be awesome.

P.S. I'm outside the US so I can't shop at Newegg, else I've would have bought this in a heartbeat. tounge.gif

Seriously gaming laptop are pure nonsense in a way that you must look at the giant size models if you want=

any of them with a decent video card. If you travel a lot then a big laptop isn't your best choice as

they are extremely heavy and have short battery life.

You can look at models with a discrete graphic card so it may improve in application where it doesn't

need to use system ram, but don't expect mobile discrete graphics to perform the same as their

desktop versions.

Mobility HD5650 =/= HD5650

Get a netbook and buy an xbox. wink.gif

But for all intents and purposes, I think you're best off hunting around the classifieds for a used machine, if you're looking for something decent enough to play games well within your budget.

But keep your expectations low. I'd also recommend looking at 15 inch models for the sake of portability.

Finn 7 five 11

I doubt your going to get a very good gaming Laptop for your budget, a fairly good desktop costs around that much (to build).

Your going to need a cheapish laptop for school work, and a console or desktop for gaming, you could try a PSP or a nintendo DS.

You'd be suprised at what newer laptops can run.

However, you say you aren't in america but you have not given us an alternative website and currency to work with so we can help you.

As long as you aren't trying to run Crysis 2 you should be able to easily get something that can run most games with decent settings.

Lost-Fender

You'd be suprised at what newer laptops can run.

However, you say you aren't in america but you have not given us an alternative website and currency to work with so we can help you.

As long as you aren't trying to run Crysis 2 you should be able to easily get something that can run most games with decent settings.

Any website will do, I'm using a freight-forwarding service so shipping should be no problem. As for currency, I'm using US dollars. The thing with Newegg is that you must use a US credit card from an American bank for your orders, so anyone using a non-US card is screwed. Besides that, I think you must order from an IP address within the US as well. So that's why I ruled out Newegg.

Oh, and I'm aware I'm not going to get a good gaming laptop within my budget. Anything with a mid-end graphics card just enough to run games at passable frame rates will do. wink.gif Besides, what I play the most are Source games anyway, the most demanding thing that I'll try to run on it is GTAIV, which I reckon should play fine in medium settings with a mid-end card.

Edited by Lost-Fender