A good priced car?

VercettiCrimeFamily

VercettiCrimeFamily

Hi folks,

I am close to getting my licence i have 6k budget, (£6,000) what car shall i get, remember im only 17 years old and here in the UK you can't get any car you want you want to be able to get insured on it.

I thought about an Audi A3, but how will i get insured on that?

Dude, there's a forum dedicated to vehicle discussion. You'll get much better advice there.

And also for a first car, especially in the UK, expect to be f*cked in the ass with no lube on insurance. Forget the Audi A3. If you live in a high crime rate area, you'll have to make do with a small old car (Peugeot 106, Ford Fiesta, Ford Ka) and build up some no-claims years.

There are two main points at which your insurance drops. First when you reach 3 years no claims, and then again when you hit 25. Meanwhile, get your asshole ready. The insurers want to take you for all they can.

user posted image

Should be in the "Car Chat" forum.

Also, you'll never in a million years get sensible insurance at 17 on an A3. Best bet is to go for something a bit crap for a year or two, survive that and your insurance will drop dramatically. As write-off rates are something like 35% for young male drivers in their first year, you might as well save £4k-£5k of that £6k as the rest will likely just go down the swanny anyway if you bin it.

Try and avoid the usual stuff (106, 206, Saxo, Fiesta) as insurance tends to be elevated due to the sheer number of new drivers binning them. For some reason, VW Polos work out significantly cheaper on the insurance than the above (I had a Mk4 Polo 16v as a first car, which with a few choice mods could keep a Saxo VTR in it's mirror...that was ever such a long time ago, though!). The best idea is to think laterally- small hatchbacks are generally out because loads of boy-racers and teens bin them, anything posh (BMW/Audi/Merc) is also out, with the exception of old, carbed Mercs like the 190 which can be cheap.

Best learner cars (in my opinion anyway)

Fiat Cinquecento (the mid-90's one). Tiny engine, mega cheap insurance. Basically, the 90s reincarnation of the original Mini. They weigh literally nothing, so feel a hell of a lot faster than they actually are, and very effective at encouraging you to drive carefully, as you can dent them by reversing into a passing butterfly. They're also an absolute riot to drive, particularly the Sporting version.

Ford Focus. About £2000 will get you a very tidy 1.4 or 1.6 Focus with a decent spec (alloys, CD player, fogs, air-con, heated windscreen). Go for the facelifted Mk1 generation (2002-2004), as the Mk2 Focus is a fat, wallowing turd of a car. The 1.6 is reasonably brisk, the 1.4 is incomprehensibly slow (but much cheaper to insure) and all Focus (Focii?) ride, handle and brake better than any other recent small car. They're also surprisingly cheap on the old insurance- even the 1.6 is only Gp 6 (or 14 I think in the new stupid 50-group system).

Volvo 740 2.3T. The size of an aircraft carrier, as comfortable as an armchair and as ugly as a burns victim. No teenager in their right mind would buy one, so insurance is absurdly cheap. It's the best- nay, the only- way to get a turbocharged or RWD car on a 17 year old's insurance. They're quick enough to teach you why RWD is the most fun, but also slow and heavy enough to keep you out of serious trouble. They're also fantastic for properly teaching you how to paralell park in tight spaces.

Wild card

Austin Mini 998cc. If you have any interest in the oily bits of cars, this is the one for you. They're not cheap (well, not cheap for one that isn't composed entirely of tinworm) but they're not likely to ever loose value, and after a year or so of ownership rebuilding carbs will be as easy as falling asleep. They're very cheap to insure, very cheap to run, INSANELY cheap to modify (properly as well, none of this body-kit or chip-tuning crap) and seriously cool. They also feel much faster than anything your friends will drive, even if they're actually much slower.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

VercettiCrimeFamily
Should be in the "Car Chat" forum.

Also, you'll never in a million years get sensible insurance at 17 on an A3. Best bet is to go for something a bit crap for a year or two, survive that and your insurance will drop dramatically. As write-off rates are something like 35% for young male drivers in their first year, you might as well save £4k-£5k of that £6k as the rest will likely just go down the swanny anyway if you bin it.

Try and avoid the usual stuff (106, 206, Saxo, Fiesta) as insurance tends to be elevated due to the sheer number of new drivers binning them. For some reason, VW Polos work out significantly cheaper on the insurance than the above (I had a Mk4 Polo 16v as a first car, which with a few choice mods could keep a Saxo VTR in it's mirror...that was ever such a long time ago, though!). The best idea is to think laterally- small hatchbacks are generally out because loads of boy-racers and teens bin them, anything posh (BMW/Audi/Merc) is also out, with the exception of old, carbed Mercs like the 190 which can be cheap.

Best learner cars (in my opinion anyway)

Fiat Cinquecento (the mid-90's one). Tiny engine, mega cheap insurance. Basically, the 90s reincarnation of the original Mini. They weigh literally nothing, so feel a hell of a lot faster than they actually are, and very effective at encouraging you to drive carefully, as you can dent them by reversing into a passing butterfly. They're also an absolute riot to drive, particularly the Sporting version.

Ford Focus. About £2000 will get you a very tidy 1.4 or 1.6 Focus with a decent spec (alloys, CD player, fogs, air-con, heated windscreen). Go for the facelifted Mk1 generation (2002-2004), as the Mk2 Focus is a fat, wallowing turd of a car. The 1.6 is reasonably brisk, the 1.4 is incomprehensibly slow (but much cheaper to insure) and all Focus (Focii?) ride, handle and brake better than any other recent small car. They're also surprisingly cheap on the old insurance- even the 1.6 is only Gp 6 (or 14 I think in the new stupid 50-group system).

Volvo 740 2.3T. The size of an aircraft carrier, as comfortable as an armchair and as ugly as a burns victim. No teenager in their right mind would buy one, so insurance is absurdly cheap. It's the best- nay, the only- way to get a turbocharged or RWD car on a 17 year old's insurance. They're quick enough to teach you why RWD is the most fun, but also slow and heavy enough to keep you out of serious trouble. They're also fantastic for properly teaching you how to paralell park in tight spaces.

Wild card

Austin Mini 998cc. If you have any interest in the oily bits of cars, this is the one for you. They're not cheap (well, not cheap for one that isn't composed entirely of tinworm) but they're not likely to ever loose value, and after a year or so of ownership rebuilding carbs will be as easy as falling asleep. They're very cheap to insure, very cheap to run, INSANELY cheap to modify (properly as well, none of this body-kit or chip-tuning crap) and seriously cool. They also feel much faster than anything your friends will drive, even if they're actually much slower.

How about this car? VW Golf http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2405578.htm

I will look into the one you listed, sorry for posting in the wrong topic.

How about this car? VW Golf http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2405578.htm

I will look into the one you listed, sorry for posting in the wrong topic.

You'd have to be a serious masochist to own an automatic, 1.6 Golf of any generation. The smallest engine that actually moves the Mk5 at more than a snails pace is the 2.0TDi 140 and that's all down to torque, even the 2.0 N/A is dog slow.

I fear you are ignoring the majoirty of what I posted. I shall repeat myself. I would not, under any conditions, recommend a 17 year old driver in the United Kingdom to spend more than about £2000 on a first car. The accident rates are so stupidly high you might as well just pour parafin on a stack of £20 notes and set them alight. Whatsmore, a £6k Mk5 Golf is going to be expensive to insure, regardless of the engine. You won't be able to get TPFT insurance on anything worth over about £2000 in the current climate, and if you're fully comp then the value of your own car makes a larger difference to the premium size. Your father could be a sheik and I'd still advise you to buy a £1500 Focus.

I listed what I consider to be the four best options for a young driver. Start thinking lower down the vehicular food chain. A lot lower.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Volvo 740 2.3T. No teenager in their right mind would buy one

I take offense to that. I almost bought a 740 instead of my 240.

Slosten.gif

Volvo 740 2.3T. No teenager in their right mind would buy one

I take offense to that. I almost bought a 740 instead of my 240.

Oh, no offence intended, but I'm talking about the UK here. All (most) teenagers can get stiff over is a Corsa with 6 exhausts, £30k worth of sh*t quality audio equipment and a comedy body kit, so they're not likely to get impressed by a beige old Volvo.

Personally, I think you could make a pretty awesome Gruppe-A-esque supertouring replica out of a 740. Weld-in cage, rivet-on arch extensions, Garret T04/KKK-26 hybrid and an 850R style front bumper...

Or something a little like the abortive 760 DTM project

user posted image

Untitled-1.jpg

Shame you can't get a 740 turbo with a 5 speed in the states. I would be all over one as a cheap beater if not for the slushbox.

@ OP: Fiestas of pretty much any gen seem popular with young Brit members here. I'd look into one of those.

Edited by Lurch

uYW1Olw.png

stinomontana

how about a vw golf 3, seat ibiza or a honda civic?

both great cars

VercettiCrimeFamily

I am just going to get my parents to add me to there insurance, so i will buy a car they will add me to the insurance i heard thats a better way.

I am just going to get my parents to add me to there insurance, so i will buy a car they will add me to the insurance i heard thats a better way.

It's also called fronting, and is illegal.

If you get caught doing it, at best your insurance will be invalidated and all involved will be formally cautioned by the police. At worst (and they're really cracking down on it at the moment) you (or your parents) could be fined, banned from driving or even get a suspended prison sentence.

Not to mention, if you were involved in an accident and found to be fronting, the insurance company would recoup their losses by suing the hell out of you. There have been cases of people ordered to pay in excess of £10,000 when they have been involved in accident and found to be fronting.

I cannot, under ANY circumstances, recommend you doing it. Lots of people say "oh sure, I won't get caught, they'll never find out" but they will- especially if the parent whose insurance you are being placed on already has another car insured elsewhere as a main vehicle.

So, in short, don't. People fronting is one of the reasons why insurance is so high for young drivers.

Untitled-1.jpg

VercettiCrimeFamily

It's also called fronting, and is illegal.

If you get caught doing it, at best your insurance will be invalidated and all involved will be formally cautioned by the police. At worst (and they're really cracking down on it at the moment) you (or your parents) could be fined, banned from driving or even get a suspended prison sentence.

Not to mention, if you were involved in an accident and found to be fronting, the insurance company would recoup their losses by suing the hell out of you. There have been cases of people ordered to pay in excess of £10,000 when they have been involved in accident and found to be fronting.

I cannot, under ANY circumstances, recommend you doing it. Lots of people say "oh sure, I won't get caught, they'll never find out" but they will- especially if the parent whose insurance you are being placed on already has another car insured elsewhere as a main vehicle.

So, in short, don't. People fronting is one of the reasons why insurance is so high for young drivers.

I had no idea it was against the law... I think ill just stick to a cheap car.

You can't possibly get caught unless there are some different rules in the UK. In here, you're added to the policy and that's the end of story.

You can't possibly get caught unless there are some different rules in the UK. In here, you're added to the policy and that's the end of story.

Now we have an integrated insurance database, it's relatively simple to see whos fronting. Two cars insured for 10k+ milage with the same main driver and one with a 17 year old tacked on? Fronting.

Untitled-1.jpg

no one care for comfort? my dad has BMW 525 from 1994 they real cheap and good price to fix

comfort will always you make better driver

my dad has BMW 525 from 1994 they real cheap and good price to fix

I don't know much about insurance in the UK but I'm sure any model E34 would cost an ungodly amount to insure.

Slosten.gif

VercettiCrimeFamily
my dad has BMW 525 from 1994 they real cheap and good price to fix

I don't know much about insurance in the UK but I'm sure any model E34 would cost an ungodly amount to insure.

Not only the insurance.. most bmws suck petrol like mad, and at the moment petrol prices couldn't be worse in the uk..

Don't they sell tiny engine Beamers out that way? Here in the states, we only get the big stuff.

Speaking of, my 535i is averaging around 18 mpg right now. Doesn't seem too bad.

uYW1Olw.png

Don't they sell tiny engine Beamers out that way? Here in the states, we only get the big stuff.

Speaking of, my 535i is averaging around 18 mpg right now. Doesn't seem too bad.

That's not bad at all. I know my dad is avraging 17MPG with his 5.0L full-size Ford, which is still affordable. Anyone can afford to drive a BMW if we're talking about the fuel consumption, just drive atleast somewhat civilized and you'll be fine.

o6ifrl.png
Dreaming of California, where the sun never sets.

That's not bad at all. I know my dad is avraging 17MPG with his 5.0L full-size Ford, which is still affordable. Anyone can afford to drive a BMW if we're talking about the fuel consumption, just drive atleast somewhat civilized and you'll be fine.

Pah, I'm getting 42mpg combined with a fancy remap and some Miltek goodies- AWD too. Diesel ftw.

We do get the tiny engined BMs but insurance is pretty brutal on them too. A mate of mine ran an E21 320i as a first car. In, oh, must have been about 2003, that cost him £2600 on the old insurance.

Untitled-1.jpg

my dad has turbodiesel one its pretty economic comparing to said ford mondeo from same age.

(he also has no insurance)

Chinatown Wars

Get a smart car (used)

They're pretty cheap and have 40-50mpg

Nah just kidding

Seriously though, get something under $2000

buy my 97 honda crx. it's got a mot til march 2011 and tax til september.

transtop (electric roof) 1.6 esi with nice rims and subtle body kit.

pm me if interested...

user posted image

user posted image

That doesn't look too bad for a bodykitted wonder (though someone has goatse'd your exhaust when you weren't looking), but insurance for a 17 year old would be massive if all the mods were declared. It always astonishes me just how much modifications push up premiums, even alloys and splitters- when your young anyway. Map, Miltek, piggie pipes, uprated brakes, KWs and a set of good wheels boosted the premium on my S4 by a good 20%, and that was with 4 years NCB...

Untitled-1.jpg

VercettiCrimeFamily

Thanks kokot but in my opinion it doesn't look that reliable sad.gif

You think this old thing looks reliable?

user posted image

It is. Starts when it's cold as f*ck, runs great. I would'nt hesitate to drive it all across Europe.

Point is, a car might look like it's going to blow up, but can be as reliable as a family dog.

o6ifrl.png
Dreaming of California, where the sun never sets.

VercettiCrimeFamily

I guess i shouldn't ''Judge a book by its cover'' or in this case a car by its looks, I really want my older brother car vauxhall astra vxr, will post pic's of it if you guys want smile.gif

I guess i shouldn't ''Judge a book by its cover'' or in this case a car by its looks, I really want my older brother car vauxhall astra vxr, will post pic's of it if you guys want smile.gif

no thx

uYW1Olw.png

no worries.

i know we're not supposed to advertise here, but anyway it's actually got an mot til mar '12.. i forgot what year it was.

and it's going cheap... probably on ebay.

as for reliability, it's a honda! they're one of the best cars out there. only time it let me down was with a flat tyre.