1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Cut scene & ammunation crash

skalpel

Hello!

I just bought Vice City for PC after not playing for years, and it runs perfectly fine on my mediocre laptop even with max display settings, no fps issues or texture bugs or anything.

But.. weirdly.. whenever I try to play the Dildo Dodo mission it freezes on the cutscene, plays the next few seconds of the audio with a frozen image and then closes to desktop with a simple, useless message: 'Vice City encountered a problem and has closed'. (It does it if I try to skip the cutscene too).

The exact same thing happens in Ocean View ammunation, I noticed that one early in the game but just ignored it and stayed away from that ammunation, now obviously its doing it in a mission cutscene so I can't progress the game.

Here's my specs:

Windows 7 (32bit)

Intel i3 2.13g

4gig Ram

Geforce GT330m (drivers updated to latest)

Direct X 11

Here's what I've tried that didnt work:

Updating display drivers

Installing 1.1 patch (it wouldnt install)

Using the 1.0 nocd (nocd works but crash still happens)

Compatibility mode for Vista, XP, Win98

Hope one of you guys might have an answer to this one.

Thanks for reading!

Yeah this is straight out of the box. Even if I try add the patch to a completely fresh install it says it could not update the installation because the gta-vc.exe is an unknown version.

Try turning off Data Execution Prevention, then updating.

System screen(windows key+pause/break)-->Advanced System Settings-->Performance Settings-->Data Execution Prevention click add, the add vc.exe

Also you might try lowing windows ram to 2gig, sometimes on windows 7 32bit, older games have issues addressing ram over 2gigs

Windows key+Rkey(run menu) type MSCONFIG, hit enter, Click BOOT TAB, Advanced Options Button, Click Max memory and set it at 2048. click ok, click apply, then re-boot.

Did you remember to delete the .set file from the User Files Folder in Documents after updating your drivers? If not, that could be part of the problem. Also, get rid of the "no cd" crack, it is not needed, as is why it is not supported by the game's developer, Rockstar Games.

If those don't work, try "rolling back" to an earlier version of the video card drivers, since this is an older game, it might have problems with some of the newer drivers.? Remember to delete the .set file afterwards.

Also, What is your Vram for that video card? and is it Dedicated OR Shared?

Also you might try lowing windows ram to 2gig, sometimes on windows 7 32bit, older games have issues addressing ram over 2gigs

That part is false, I have a Windows 7 laptop (32-bit), with 3GB RAM, and III, VC, and SA run perfect with no problems-in fact III and VC run better on that PC than they do on my XP Pro one with 2GB Ram. Besides, 32-bit versions of Vista and 7 cannot recognize more than 3.75GB RAM any way, as far as I know, more than that requires a 64-bit OS.? Just a friendly heads up.

Did you remember to delete the .set file from the User Files Folder in Documents after updating your drivers? If not, that could be part of the problem. Also, get rid of the "no cd" crack, it is not needed, as is why it is not supported by the game's developer, Rockstar Games.

If those don't work, try "rolling back" to an earlier version of the video card drivers, since this is an older game, it might have problems with some of the newer drivers.? Remember to delete the .set file afterwards.

That part is false, I have a Windows 7 laptop (32-bit), with 3GB RAM, and III, VC, and SA run perfect with no problems-in fact III and VC run better on that PC than they do on my XP Pro one with 2GB Ram. Besides, 32-bit versions of Vista and 7 cannot recognize more than 3.75GB RAM any way, as far as I know, more than that requires a 64-bit OS.? Just a friendly heads up.

Not false, different chipsets will address ram to different functions, IE: IO functions, PCI cards, and motherboard resources. Depending on the memory controller, forcing windows to only use 2gigs of ram might fix the issue.

Thanks very much for all the responses and help guys. It's not looking good though.

Try turning off Data Execution Prevention, then updating.

System screen(windows key+pause/break)-->Advanced System Settings-->Performance Settings-->Data Execution Prevention click add, the add vc.exe

Windows key+Rkey(run menu) type MSCONFIG, hit enter, Click BOOT TAB, Advanced Options Button, Click Max memory and set it at 2048. click ok, click apply, then re-boot.

I tried both of these. Turning off Data Execution Prevention for that exe was easy with your instructions but I still couldn't update and I gave the game a test again anyway for the hell of it and it didnt work there either.

Setting a max memory didn't make a difference either.

Yep, I deleted the .set file each time I rolled back or updated. I also tried deleting it and then trying without changing any settings in game which didnt work either.

I only tried the no-cd because I considered the idea that my dvd drive was causing a problem or possibly the disc itself, I don't have any use for it otherwise.

The Video memory is dedicated 1gig.

I'm pretty much all tapped out of ideas, maybe a downloadable saved game with dildo dodo completed?

Thanks again for the help.

Apologises for double post, just found out that if I try to load a downloaded savegame it crashes the same way while loading, it also crashes the same way on the first autoshop race mission so I very literally can't progress the game any further now.

If anybody has any more ideas at all I'd be insanely grateful.

Apologises for double post, just found out that if I try to load a downloaded savegame it crashes the same way while loading, it also crashes the same way on the first autoshop race mission so I very literally can't progress the game any further now.

If anybody has any more ideas at all I'd be insanely grateful.

Do you have the Retail(CD) version OR the Steam/D2D version? If you have the Steam/D2D(legal download version), than that is more than likely the cause of the crash when trying to use a downloaded save, as the downloadable save on here are for the Retail(CD) version, as the CD version saves are not compatible with the Download version game saves, as far as I know.? If you have the CD version, and you have mods, the mods could be causing the save compatibilty.

If you are stuck on progress due to the freezing/crash, you can try Dem's Time vault code tool to pass those things for you to allow you to get past that point and hopefully avoid the crash. It works on both the Retail(CD) AND the Steam/D2D versions. You can read more about it and Download it from here at this topic, thanks to Spuds for reposting it since tfad.com(the original host site) is temporarily down. But to use it, you just back-up your main.scm by renaming it to something like MainORIGINAL.scm, and then name the TimeVault.scm to main.scm and put it in the *install directory/vice city/data folder(where the main.scm is)-it installs on the C drive by default. then load your game, use it to pass what you need help getting past, save, hit the windows key on the key board(make sure you are on the Pause menu before doing this to avoid the game from freezing/crashing, since Vista and 7 are picky about this step-lol), rename the TimeVault.scm back to what it was, then rename your original back to main.scm and resume your game..Hope this helps. smile.gif

Try downloading the Exception Handler and post the log it creates after the game crashes. I'll see if I can figure out why your game crashes.