Should GTA V be a much more political game?

OchyGTA

Rockstar has always pushed boundary's in relation to controversy's and has poked fun at how hypocritical, arrogant and foolish American society is but I wonder, with the presidential elections just around the corner, should Rockstar try to make a political statement by perhaps showing ridiculous presidential campaign adverts on the in game internet and TV. Could you perhaps do missions for a corrupt and notable politician or even assassinations of important political targets. I do understand the issue the media would have with the latter after the attempt on the democratic candidate Gabrielle Giffords although boundaries have to be pushed.

On a side note, I would enjoy a mini game in which you could invest in the stock market as a quick way to make or lose money.

Untame Snail

I don't think that's very wise. Rockstar does a good job balancing their parodies as it is. If they made it one-sided, they'd lose customers, and if they just made it more prominent, they'd only cause controversy. Personally, I think it could be fun, but it's just not smart.

SmoothGetaway

For starters there are already political assassinations in GTA4+DLC

To answer your question I say no and here's why. At the end of the day politics is more about ideology than any one political party. So there is a huge risk of alienating literally HALF your audience, at least in the States and in many two party dominant countries as well.

Now if they just went after the whole dog and pony show in general, like they have in the past, then I'm cool with that.

I think what they did in IV was already close to the limit of what they can do.

In IV they made a big pun of the terrorism threat and how any race apart from the white race is a part of terrorism. They made jokes about the presidental campaigns and where only spreading bad talk about the republicans with it, who where pictured as a bunch of rednecks only drinking beer, farting etc. and blowing up other planets(See Republican Space Rangers).

Personally I really enjoyed it, trhey basicly copied real world in a video game and showed their opinions in this game. We have a freedom of speech, but I think that is r* took it any further with the republican and terrorism jokes they where in trouble.

I havent even talked about the parodies of known marques, these companies invest a huge amount of money in their image by advertising and promotional campaigns, r* just makes a pun of them, I cannot imagine a company who actually likes to see a parody of their brand in Grand Theft Auto, as a company I certainly do not want to be associated with violence, insulting language and drugs.

SirPsychoSexy

I'd say GTA is already very political. It's satire, most of which is political.

trantula_77

I love the political nature of the game. I think a GTA game set in DC would be great. Tons of crime, tons of politics, and loads of secrets. Not to mention there is a varied landscape surrounding the area.

I think IV was already really political and bashes both sides, though Republicans get the brunt of it. I think a satire of the US political system and all of the ridiculous assertions that happen constantly could be continued or expanded upon. Like the last presidential election, they started campaigning 2 years early! seriously! Also, the nature of the media inflating everything from the health care law (suddenly docs getting paid for end of life counseling=death panels) to the spending cuts.

There is much potential to be had with political satire.

SmoothGetaway
I don't know if this is appropriate or not but does anyone else remember that radio bit (I want to say Bastions Buddy's) where the caller ends the conversation and says "Die hippies"(paraphrasing) and then starts shooting and you can hear the crowd screaming (in the background) at which point the host of the show says how much of an American that man is? Then, with the recent events in Tuscon Arizona in mind? I'm not linking the game to the incident AT ALL, I think it was a prediction by Rockstar and I'm wondering if anyone else has considered this.

No. I think both R* and its sane fans are more concerned with having a great, fun games on their hands than one which makes a political statement.

Untame Snail
I don't know if this is appropriate or not but does anyone else remember that radio bit (I want to say Bastions Buddy's) where the caller ends the conversation and says "Die hippies"(paraphrasing) and then starts shooting and you can hear the crowd screaming (in the background) at which point the host of the show says how much of an American that man is? Then, with the recent events in Tuscon Arizona in mind? I'm not linking the game to the incident AT ALL, I think it was a prediction by Rockstar and I'm wondering if anyone else has considered this.

Your unnecessary spoiler tags are a clue that censorship will overrule us in the future.

Seriously though, I doubt it.

Yh fair play, GTA IV did have its political moments but I feel they could add to it even if it was extremely subtle

SmoothGetaway

@Untame

OR I just wanted it to not pop up AS easily on say...a google search.

f*ck sakes man.

No. I think both R* and its sane fans are more concerned with having a great, fun games on their hands than one which makes a political statement.

GTA is packed solid with political content. If the idea isn't to your liking and you missed what was there, then Rockstar must be getting that balance right.

You want political? Wait until you see how bad they bash anti-immigration wackos.

Docfaustino

Abottig: haha, I can see it already! I'll also place a bet on this being TV content, since the Arizona anti-immigration really forms a visual image.

Of the IV era? I personally thought they could have bashed the characters of PLR a little harder, as they did with WKTT. For instance, the liberal parenting sketch wasn't all so negative, and the Brandon Flowers bit was more celebrity-bashing than liberal-bashing. This is coming from an unbiased viewpoint. IV single player was really for the mature gamers, and the subtle, respectable humor they went for fit perfectly. I say follow the formula, but don't be scared of offending people who you poke fun at.

techliveadmin

GTA V could very well have a "trading" scheme type game play. It doesn't have to be political, but I would imagine we can "invest" in companies by way of BAWSAQ terminals throughout the next city. It could have similar gameplay mechanics to IN TRACK BETTING (san andreas). It isn't impossible and it'll be fun to do something with your money this time.

Hell no, the current amount is fine. Culture is more than politics and any more attention paid to it would be unnecesscricy and unwanted.

GTA is already really political. There's always been satire taking the piss out of current politcal events and politcal pop culture, as well as making fun of liberals and conservatives etc. In fact I think R* have already included all the things mentioned in the OP in some form or another in 1 or more GTA games. I don't see a problem with having more a politcal element.

Bowserchomp
GTA V could very well have a "trading" scheme type game play. It doesn't have to be political, but I would imagine we can "invest" in companies by way of BAWSAQ terminals throughout the next city. It could have similar gameplay mechanics to IN TRACK BETTING (san andreas). It isn't impossible and it'll be fun to do something with your money this time.

In other words, playing the stock market. That would only make sense if the protagonist of GTA V was more like Roman than Niko.

And we all know how much of a worthless jackass pacifist "player" Roman was. Do that. But please don't call it Grand Theft Auto. Call it The Sims 4 by Rockstar.

I love the political nature of the game.  I think a GTA game set in DC would be great.  Tons of crime, tons of politics, and loads of secrets.  Not to mention there is a varied landscape surrounding the area.

I think IV was already really political and bashes both sides, though Republicans get the brunt of it.  I think a satire of the US political system and all of the ridiculous assertions that happen constantly could be continued or expanded upon.  Like the last presidential election, they started campaigning 2 years early! seriously!  Also, the nature of the media inflating everything from the health care law (suddenly docs getting paid for end of life counseling=death panels) to the spending cuts.

There is much potential to be had with political satire.

I agreee! GTA set in DC would be great, like executing errands for politicians, it adds a lot of fun when the missions will probably be MUCH more fun due to the whole organized aspect of politics. The secret documents and etc. Maybe the storyline could include you doing intelligence gatherings in Afghanistan , like being sent as an asset, like they did in 2002. Sort of like a Mercenary. Then being sent back to America at the end of the game. Would be pretty damn great. Also working for crooked politicians may make the missions soooo much better.

EDIT Investing seems like pretty sweet as well.