Shorter flood control?

Sam998

Would it really be harmful to change 60 seconds to something like...45 seconds? It gets kind of annoying waiting. Are we really that scared of flooders that we're going to slow down the sites funtioning that much? What if someone wanted to post in a chain game or chain story, something time sensitive but couldn't quick enough because of it?

Banned, now stay the f*ck out

I don't see this happening in the near future. Besides, if it takes you less than a minute to write up a post, you're not really putting much thought into it.

The Chain Game/Chain Story are just meant for fun. If you lose out on a turn or something, it's not really a big deal, is it?

I don't see this happening in the near future. Besides, if it takes you less than a minute to write up a post, you're not really putting much thought into it.

The Chain Game/Chain Story are just meant for fun. If you lose out on a turn or something, it's not really a big deal, is it?

Well some things don't need more than a minute of thought. For example this post is probably taking me less than a minute. I agree about Chain stuff, just thought I might add an example.

Some posts don't, but most posts do. Also, given the size of this forum and the amount of spambots that pop up on a daily basis, reducing the flood control won't be a logical move unless we have a fool-proof system in place to keep spambots from registering.

And you think you have it tough? Even the area mods are not spared from the flood control. Imagine dealing with a few topics in your sub-forum and you have to wait 60 seconds everytime before attending to a report. It was slightly irksome at the beginning but I have gotten used to it now. You'll get used to it too; don't worry about it. wink.gif

Some posts don't, but most posts do. Also, given the size of this forum and the amount of spambots that pop up on a daily basis, reducing the flood control won't be a logical move unless we have a fool-proof system in place to keep spambots from registering.

And you think you have it tough? Even the area mods are not spared from the flood control. Imagine dealing with a few topics in your sub-forum and you have to wait 60 seconds everytime before attending to a report. It was slightly irksome at the beginning but I have gotten used to it now. You'll get used to it too; don't worry about it. wink.gif

1. I did not know you where a mod. Interesting

2. I'm sure we can find some other process to stop spambots that doesn't effect everyone.

3. For things like polls all you have to post is "This because blah" which is really not that difficult

4. By spam bots you mean advertising right? Because I'm still getting used to this sites definition of spam.

5. Sorry if the number format comes off as obnoxious, that was not my intention and I am just realising that it makes me sound like a know-it-all dick.

1. I did not know you where a mod. Interesting

I did not know I where a mod either. Interesting. tounge.gif

2. I'm sure we can find some other process to stop spambots that doesn't effect everyone.

That might be difficult, what with the Admin CP being broken and all.

3. For things like polls all you have to post is "This because blah" which is really not that difficult

That is assuming there are more poll topics than normal ones and more people only post in poll topics. That is not true. Besides, even in a poll topic, you can make a substantial post by putting more thought and effort into explaining your choice rather than just a one liner.

4. By spam bots you mean advertising right? Because I'm still getting used to this sites definition of spam.

Yeah, but lets also not forget our glorious 11 year old PBMs who drop in every now and then just to create trouble or spam the forums because that's their dignified way of avenging their ban.

5. Sorry if the number format comes off as obnoxious, that was not my intention and I am just realising that it makes me sound like a know-it-all dick.

Sorry if the multiple quotes come off as obnoxious; that was not my intention and I hope that it doesn't makes me sound like a know-it-all dick. tounge.gif

Lol at that entire post.

I know polls don't make up the majority, it's just one example. I don't normally write essays for my posts is what I'm saying.

I do not know what Admin CP is?

I know that some sites do this, it would require a little programming i assume.. But can't you just block words? For example the word filter can detect "sh*t" and "f*ck" and stuff what if the people running the site programmed it to detect certain URLs that are used by spammers, and not just censor them but ban them if it detects it often enough..For example, I remember there was this site that had a problem with "Winitems.com" spammers, and they could just censor it so it appeared as "************" or something. What if they did that but banned the user if they detected it like 3 times or something? And make it clear to users not to type it out.

the 11 year olds...well, just a fact of forums I guess. Not much to do but ban them until they go away.

I do not know what Admin CP is?

Administrator Control Panel, using which the admins can make changes to the forum.

It would be difficult to detect advertising links considering there are a sh*tload of them and even if it was possible, there would still be ways of getting around it. Also, banning a member based on a certain url in his post isn't practical. What if a genuine member happens to accidentally quote a spambot's post containing a banned link? His account would be banned and then he would have to go through the tedious process of requesting an unban.

Waiting for a spambot to post the same url 3 or more times before banning the account is not wise either.

As I see it, there's no automated way available to get rid of the spambots or stop PBMs from causing nuisance, as of now. The 60 second flood control seems to be the best option under current circumstances.

leik oh em jeez!

Not saying I have a problem with the flood control. (though 45 seconds does sound better than 60, especially when attempting to pay attention to several topics at once. While a lot of posts might not take 60 seconds to write, 45 sounds like a fair median.)

But as far as banning only spam bots, maybe just set it to ignore anything within the quote tags. I seriously doubt the bots would figure out how to get around it, seeing as how it would all be transparent to the average user.

Come to think of it doesn't it just delay the spamming? It doesn't really stop it.

I think that flood control might be a good start, but the forum shouldn't just say "Well we have flood control. We're safe now!" I think we should get more ways of stopping it, so that eventually we don't need flood controll.

And I think 45 seconds could work now because, even though i haven't been here that long I don't think I've seen any flooding.

The flood control helps us a lot against bots, they could post every second. I see no need for it to be changed myself, but I dont suffer with it.

Do led bys have the flood control Girish?

x3FWE.png

Do you think you could give some examples of bots?

Not to challenge your logic, you are a mod and all, but I really don't think they're that prevalent.

If you could see the recycle bin you would see what bots do. They are programmed to spam forums with advertisements, being able to post at rapid speeds if allowed. A 60 second flood control serves no problems to members that I can see. its only a minute!

Patience.

x3FWE.png

I know what their supposed to do, I just haven't seen any of them.

I don't see why the flood control would be a problem. I mean, how much do you want to post in a minute? 60 posts? I rarely got a post flood control. Even if there wouldn't be any flood control, it would be stupid to reply like a crazy fool to each reply / topic.

And, I'm pretty sure that you're free to take a turn at the Chain Game without being beaten by anyone else, as there are only about 3-4 turns per day. And yes, I've seen a lot of bots spamming and advertising. It's so bad when moderators are not online to ban them as fast as possible because they create about 7-8 topics with advertising.

The only flood control which annoys me is the search flood control. I mean, if you look at today's active topics you have to wait before you can search all posts by a member, and so on. sad.gif

Dead (Retired)

That just shows how good our system is of making sure they are dealt with asap.

There are about 30 per day!

x3FWE.png

Do led bys have the flood control Girish?

Unfortunately, yes. I think I asked in the staff room once if it could be removed for area mods but I remember it not being possible because it can only be applied to groups on a whole or something along similar lines. I could be wrong, though.

...I still somehow doubt that...

Are they in the busted group? Because then you could just point us to that.

As I am bored...

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showuser=578169

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showuser=578163

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showuser=577767

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showuser=577747

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=471500

Just a few from the last few days.

smile.gif

x3FWE.png

Guess what dudes? There is an extension of the forums where you can basically spam to your hearts desire, and just chat about anything! It's called IRC (internet relay chat), and it's a very nice way to talk to people you want to talk to on the forums without worrying about flood control.

kzgN7qp.png

Suction Testicle Man

^Uno makes a good point.

It shouldn't just take 60 seconds to write a post, but also 60 seconds or more to read a topic, and 60 seconds or more to think about what you're going to write. If you fail to meet that, there's a good chance your post belongs on IRC. If you fail to meet that frequently, there's a good chance your post doesn't belong anywhere outside of your brain. rolleyes.gif

If at first you don't succeed, you fail, and the test will be terminated.

I have to point out that bots ARE around, we just jump on them. Yesterday 33[4 #s] made a post in General GTA Chat about earning money from home or something. I reported it.

<Pssst! Why aren't you clapping?>

I also found one with a redirect to a cheap PS# controller in gaming chat once. When I followed the link, I got attacked! (Good old Kaspersky stopped it) The topic was down in no more than 8 minutes.

pkmTc.gif

As I am bored...

smile.gif

ah okay. thanks.. but if they keep getting deleted after their first post, then shortening flood controll couldn't hurt because they'd get banned anyway?

We dont get them all as soon as they post, some manage to post a few times first.

The flood control isnt going to get changed.

x3FWE.png

As I am bored...

smile.gif

ah okay. thanks.. but if they keep getting deleted after their first post, then shortening flood controll couldn't hurt because they'd get banned anyway?

If you shorten the flood control then you enable the bots to post more and more often before their banning. Most bots only make one post because they realise that if a forum is hot on its removal systems they'll be banned in about 5 minutes anyway. Possibly less in an active part of the forum.

leik oh em jeez!

"Bots" don't think. They don't judge whether or not it's worth it to keep posting. And a 15 second difference in flood control wouldn't change how quickly it takes a mod to ban a bot.

And a 15 second difference in flood control wouldn't change how quickly it takes a mod to ban a bot.

And on a similar note, a 15 second difference wouldn't change how quickly it takes a member to type out a post. wink.gif

leik oh em jeez!
And a 15 second difference in flood control wouldn't change how quickly it takes a mod to ban a bot.

And on a similar note, a 15 second difference wouldn't change how quickly it takes a member to type out a post. wink.gif

I totally agree that the average post should take at least a minute to type out. But unless you use fast reply or notepad, you can't even begin to type it for 60 seconds.

Maybe move the flood control until after the posting page? That way you can start typing instead of waiting and then typing?

"Bots" don't think. They don't judge whether or not it's worth it to keep posting. And a 15 second difference in flood control wouldn't change how quickly it takes a mod to ban a bot.

Then how come most bots that come to the forums only post one distinct topic. A 15 second difference won't change how long it takes a mod to ban a bot, but it does change the amount of times a bot can feasibly post in that time. It could post 6-7 topics in 5 minutes instead of 5.

And what you were saying about moving the flood control already happens if you use fast reply to begin typing your post. Then if you want to do anything more complex you can click "more options" and you'll be taken to the reply page just as if you'd clicked refresh multiple times in that minute whilst getting more and more frustrated.