Less Lethal ordinance and taking hostages

TheShogunOfHarlem

TheShogunOfHarlem

This is a pretty old topic with a Twist. First I want to know what the consensus of having Less than/Non-lethal ordinance being used by the PC and by NPCs/Enemy AI. Since RDR introduced the option to capture or kill "Most wanted" fugitives I think it would be great way to incapacitate/disorient enemies (or Enemy AI use them on you if you are not prepared) and take them alive. They don't have to go Overboard with a million weapons, Just the basics:

Pepper spray/Mace

Hand Stun gun

Air Taser

40mm tear gas rounds

For the last one, Having an M32-MGL (that can also fire lethal rounds) would be the best weapon for Tear gas since it is a six shooter and it's semi-auto.

What would you like to see?

It's an interesting idea, but the easiest way to implement it would be that you have to shoot the gun out of their hands to get them to surrender. Skill required, and it's a little more difficult to pull off than a headshot. If you use an overkill weapon (shotgun, rocket launcher, too many rounds of machine gunfire), you'll injure the NPC too much and fail the mission so the pistol would be important.

Having to carry non-lethal weapons will just take up yet more room in the weapons slots, and make it more irritating when cycling through to get the weapon you want - and 99% of the time the weapon you'll be trying to select will not be pepper spray!

Handcuffs, chloroform sedation, and dragging of bodies (when they've been knocked out by such methods). Having lethal, stealthy takedowns was also pretty cool back in San Andreas.

SmoothGetaway

I'd like to be able to open the truck of a car and put things in it.

Zip ties (flexi hand cuffs) would be cool, especially if you could get away with cracking someone with a bat, but not killing them.

Duct tape.

Agreed. I would enjoy using non lethal techniques to take out a perp rather than just blowing their head away. Tasers & Tear Gas sound particularly fun.

Shooting with a Taser and then using handcuffs would be a great addition. Hogtying in RDR wasn't fast enough, especially when you're on a bounty run and gang members arrive to shoot you.

Ye olde duct tape. Works on cars, crooks, and coffins! (IE everything)

Blowing the gun out of their hands would be awesome though. Good mission- given sniper rifle, in hostage situation- save the boss's daughter by blowing her captor's hand off from a mile away.

pkmTc.gif

Tha Lunatic 510

yes.. I hoped that they borrow that rope and hogtie feature from RDR and make it more modern and I've said this before on this site or another.. they need to have it so you can taser somebody then cable tie them up and put em in the trunk or backs seat of a 4-door car.. this feature should come with Bounty Hunter side missions to rack up some dollars as well

I could see the potential in having a taser or stun gun, even a cattle prod to mess around with. Running by a group of people and just zapping them as you go by and watching them drop to the ground and twitch for a little.

Maybe even stun them when they're at the top of the stairs and hear them go 'ZzzZZZzZZzz!!!' as they're tumbling down each step.

SmoothGetaway
Ye olde duct tape. Works on cars, crooks, and coffins! (IE everything)

Blowing the gun out of their hands would be awesome though. Good mission- given sniper rifle, in hostage situation- save the boss's daughter by blowing her captor's hand off from a mile away.

I'll second all of this.

Darkshade12

In IV if you took an enemy down with melee attacks he didn't die, he just fell to the ground and rolled in pain. I think it should be the same in V. Also i hate how all the peds were the same strength in IV, i think if you walk up to a big man it should be a harder fight and take longer to knock him down. You could taze the bigger people and take them down faster.

TheShogunOfHarlem

It's an interesting idea, but the easiest way to implement it would be that you have to shoot the gun out of their hands to get them to surrender. Skill required, and it's a little more difficult to pull off than a headshot. If you use an overkill weapon (shotgun, rocket launcher, too many rounds of machine gunfire), you'll injure the NPC too much and fail the mission so the pistol would be important.

Having to carry non-lethal weapons will just take up yet more room in the weapons slots, and make it more irritating when cycling through to get the weapon you want - and 99% of the time the weapon you'll be trying to select will not be pepper spray!

To GTAaddict96:

What about just tie them?

Perhaps I should have emphasized restraints which I am all for. But first you have to deal with subduing your subject(s) without killing them which is why I bring up non-lethal ordinance.

I do like the concept of shooting the weapon or even rendering an enemy AI's hand useless in combat. (MGS 2 had something similar) However, that does not mean an unarmed AI would or should surrender. They might run depending their surroundings. That's when having non-leathal ordinance will be useful. The problem I see with your assessment of having extra weapons. If R* can introduce a weapon/ammo inventory system (i.e. safehouses/specialized vehicles having weapon/ammo lockers) then you can choose the weapons an ammo you need for each mission. the M32-MGL can work in the same way the AA-12 did in TBOGT in which you had two ammo types. In the Case of the MGL you can have grenade rounds or tear gas rounds.

Edited by TheShogunOfHarlem

TheShogunOfHarlem
Maybe next time post pictures that won't stretch the page out? dozingoff.gif

OOOPPS

Drift-Kingz

Thanks Ryan icon14.gif

On Topic: I agree with DCTF here. Although, cycling through the weapons won't be necessary unless R* implements an ingame inventory (backpack, etc).

There should even be the choice for you to press a certain key to draw a certain type of weapon out. It's much easier..

I would like non-lethal weapons. But. I would really love to take hostages! biggrin.gif

The closest you can get is riding off in a stolen car with passenger in it. But i'd like to tie someone up, and throw them in the boot, call up their family and ask for some money biggrin.gif

Okay, wishing for ransom might be a bit far fetched, but tying people up in RDR was fun, i'd really like to see that in V.

user posted image