GTAIV stutters after CPU overclock

up69

My CPU is an Intel Core i5 750 2.67ghz; The game runs perfectly fine with the stock clocks. But i usually run the system with overclock as it is stable with all of my other applications and games. Overclocked it to 3.33ghz and the game would stutter upon movement. If its stationary then stutter seems to go away. So what is going on? PSU not enough juice to power my system?

System config

Intel Core i5 750

EVGA P55 FTW mobo

MSI GTX560Ti

4GB G SKILL 1600

Ultra LSP550 Watts PSU 30A on 12V

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

It's possible that you don't have enough power or the MOBO can't supply it to the CPU. Have you checked the temps?

Temps are fine. CPU is cooled by a Corsair H50. It brings me back to point 1, all of my other application and games works with 3.33ghz.

manueljenkin95
My CPU is an Intel Core i5 750 2.67ghz; The game runs perfectly fine with the stock clocks. But i usually run the system with overclock as it is stable with all of my other applications and games. Overclocked it to 3.33ghz and the game would stutter upon movement. If its stationary then stutter seems to go away. So what is going on? PSU not enough juice to power my system?

System config

Intel Core i5 750

EVGA P55 FTW mobo

MSI GTX560Ti

4GB G SKILL 1600

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

Yes, You must get a better PSU for such an Overclock. Applications run fine bcoz they use minimal CPU, but when it come to full utilisation on load, like that of GTA 4, the CPU runs out of Power and runs at a speed less than indicated on softwares. Think I am right. But please confirm this with other posts. I am not an experienced gamer, but to my conscience, this must be the reason.

And by the way, how does the Graphics card perform. Is it noisy or quiet? I have ordered the Palit 2Gb version ( 2GB exclusive for full utilisation of GTA 4 ) from amazon. Will be using it with i7 2600K CPU, Asus P8P67 Mobo and Corsair TX750 V2 PSU along with My previous MSI Geforce 9600GT 512MB OC as physx card in PCIe Black slot ( x4 ) so that it doesn't interfere with the slot of 560Ti running at x16. Was lookin for an user review, and please post how the GPU is. Thank you.

System config

Intel Core i5 750

EVGA P55 FTW mobo

MSI GTX560Ti

4GB G SKILL 1600

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

Yes, You must get a better PSU for such an Overclock. Applications run fine bcoz they use minimal CPU, but when it come to full utilisation on load, like that of GTA 4, the CPU runs out of Power and runs at a speed less than indicated on softwares. Think I am right. But please confirm this with other posts. I am not an experienced gamer, but to my conscience, this must be the reason.

And by the way, how does the Graphics card perform. Is it noisy or quiet? I have ordered the Palit 2Gb version ( 2GB exclusive for full utilisation of GTA 4 ) from amazon. Will be using it with i7 2600K CPU, Asus P8P67 Mobo and Corsair TX750 V2 PSU along with My previous MSI Geforce 9600GT 512MB OC as physx card in PCIe Black slot ( x4 ) so that it doesn't interfere with the slot of 560Ti running at x16. Was lookin for an user review, and please post how the GPU is. Thank you.

The first thing comes to mind is my PSU too. Since the game runs fine with stock frequencies. Still need more confirmations.

I think you'll be pretty happy with a GTX560Ti; this card is a beast of a thing. But mine is the MSI version, therefore it has duel fans and the noise is very minimal when compared to a reference design of palit. My take is that you'll notice higher idle and load temperatures; Take a look at reference reviews of the GTX560 to get an idea. As for noise level, the reference card is pretty quiet from what I've heard from reviews and youtube tests.

My MSI GTX560 is being bottleneck even by an i5 [email protected] on GTAIV. The reason I'm sure of this is because I play GTAIV on 1920x1200 resolution; So I tested the card on a different resolution at the same stationary scene at 1440x900, guess what? Same fps of 58~60fps. And remember I said that my scene does not stutter with 3.33ghz if I'm stationary, I see fps of 70'ish. So definitely a CPU bottleneck here. I'm sure your i7 2600K will do even better!

Ahahahaaha a 9600GT, guess what? I happened to have one lying around, its an Asus fanless 9600GT, so I've tested it as a Physx card along side with the GTX560. Results are that the GTX560 runs better on its own. the 9600GT will hold back the 560.

• 2 months later...

you know I get the same problem... I too am experiencing a ton of stutter..

i7 2600k @ 4.5 (tried also at stock clocks)

radeon 5850

4gb 1600 ddr3

asus p8p67 rev 3.0

850w PSU

I don't know what the problem is, I should be able to put this game in the dirt..

My old specs (listed in sig) played the game smoother than this. I get great frames while steady, but when I start driving a car around I get crazy stutter

Edited by M_Nation