4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
KORNBREAD

National Football League 2011-2012

tubbs51
So i guess the NFL and the Lions have announced that Nickleback will perform at halftime of the Lions Thanksgivings day game.... f*ck. suicidal.gif

Its either watch the Lions game and possibly suffer the halftime show or watch the 'Boys suffer the entire game... sounds like a typical Thanksgiving confused.gif

Do what I do and nap during the halftime show.

Ah, l-tryptophan...

i'll probably just sleep through the entire game....

GTA3Rockstar
Possibly the third best team never to go to a Super Bowl.

Pssh, I think the 8 seasons during the 00's for the Colts are the best team to not make it to the Super Bowl. Not a fan, but considering they won the most games in a decade must say something but not much if you only went twice.

tounge.gif

Senex Iunior
Possibly the third best team never to go to a Super Bowl.

Pssh, I think the 8 seasons during the 00's for the Colts are the best team to not make it to the Super Bowl. Not a fan, but considering they won the most games in a decade must say something but not much if you only went twice.

tounge.gif

Best single season teams not to go to a Super Bowl:

1. 1998 Minnesota Vikings (15-1)

2. 1990 San Fransisco 49ers (14-2)

3. 2006 San Diego Chargers (14-2)

4. 2005 Indianapolis Colts (14-2; VANDERJAGT!!!)

5. 2004 Pittsburgh Steelers (15-1)

6. 1986 Chicago Bears (14-2)

7. 1992 San Fransisco 49ers (14-2)

8. 1987 San Fransisco 49ers (13-2)

9. 2000 Tennessee Titans (13-3)

10. 1999 Jacksonville Jaguars (14-2)

Honorable Mention: 1976 Pittsburgh Steelers (10-4)

Jonesizzle

That '98 Vikings team was amazing. That's when I really started getting into football heavy. Watching Cunningham at his finest, Robert Smith at his finest, Cris Carter at his finest and Randy Moss rising to a hall of fame career, was a great time for me to begin watching football. Wasn't that the Falcons vs. Broncos dud of a Super Bowl?

Pagelzilla
So i guess the NFL and the Lions have announced that Nickleback will perform at halftime of the Lions Thanksgivings day game.... f*ck. suicidal.gif

Its either watch the Lions game and possibly suffer the halftime show or watch the 'Boys suffer the entire game... sounds like a typical Thanksgiving confused.gif

Do what I do and nap during the halftime show.

Ah, l-tryptophan...

i'll probably just sleep through the entire game....

That's going to be a very exciting game. Nickleback won't ruin my Thanksgiving. Not again. Not this year...

B Rob

I think the game will be close at the half but the Packers pull away late and win by 10+. Not sure who stops them in the playoffs either besides the Saints.

Senex Iunior

That's going to be a very exciting game. Nickleback won't ruin my Thanksgiving.  Not again.  Not this year...

I'm looking forward to it, Packers fan. Don't forget last year's Suh-cess. (Groan.)

That '98 Vikings team was amazing. That's when I really started getting into football heavy. Watching Cunningham at his finest, Robert Smith at his finest, Cris Carter at his finest and Randy Moss rising to a hall of fame career, was a great time for me to begin watching football. Wasn't that the Falcons vs. Broncos dud of a Super Bowl?

That's an understatement. It was only close at the end of the first, 7-3. From there, the Broncs won it 34-19. I was always skeptical of Crystal Chandler after watching him on the Oilers, anyways.

Still, the Vikes made the absolute dumbest mistakes for a 15-1 team. They deserved to lose after kneeling on third down. I was never so sick watching a single play until I saw Super Bowl XL. (I didn't watch football until the playoffs next year after XL. I'm glad I did; Redemption at Last! Oh, and I'm also glad my cousin still records games on his VCR. lol.gif)

Edited by Senex Iunior

Jonesizzle

Chris Chandler, I think, is the second worst QB that has been in the Super Bowl behind Rex Grossman. Ha, I do remember the invention of the 'Dirty Bird'. Good 'ol Jamal Anderson.

Senex Iunior

Chris Chandler, I think, is the second worst QB that has been in the Super Bowl behind Rex Grossman. Ha, I do remember the invention of the 'Dirty Bird'. Good 'ol Jamal Anderson.

Meh, I wouldn't call him awful, just not Super Bowl quality and extremely injury-prone. Worst Super Bowl starting QB's:

Joe Kapp (his one good year came in '69)

Bob Griese (efficient, but not spectacular by any means)

Terry Bradshaw (call me blasphemous, but at least Favre had a 2:1 TD-INT ratio almost every year; Bradshaw had only two years with 2:1 ratio or over)

Vince Ferragamo

Tony Eason (Steve Grogan did all the work during the regular season, and the defense did all the work during the playoffs; Dent threw Eason around like a ragdoll in XX)

Trent Dilfer (cliche mention by now; he was damn good with Tampa in '97 and '98 in my opinion, though)

Rex "Sex Cannon" Grossman (F*CK IT I'M GOING DEEP)

B Rob

Did anybody catch the LSU/Bama game yesterday? What I found funny was that the commentators were saying Alabama was pretty much fielding an NFL defense because they expect all their starters on defense to go on to the next level. Well they ended up losing because of two sh*tty kickers and you'd think that a program like Alabama would have one decent kicker at least.

Icarus

Did anybody catch the LSU/Bama game yesterday?

I recorded it on my PVR and watched the first half last night and the remaining half this morning.

Alabama definitely had a few chances to win that game; I almost had a heart attack when LSU intercepted the ball from Bama at their own one-yard line - definitely a good pick off for LSU. Alabama definitely wasn't on their game in terms of field goals, especially when their third attempt at a field goal ended up being blocked by LSU (Bama was using their short range kicker; I don't know his name - don't really watch much NCAA).

Not too often I've watched a game that was all field goals.

[EDIT] I will cut Bama some slack though. Kicking a field goal from ~50 yards certainly isn't an easy task.

Xboxless

I'm hoping to get more than 16 points from Jeremy Maclin and Matt Forte so I can be the top scorer this week. I need it dammit!

Though no matter what gta_player5 will have the blow out of the week. sad.gif

I'm just glad I beat my real life friend this week.

Ah shoot I gots to talk about the Texans.

Not a terribly hard opponent this week, in fact straight up easy, but I'm glad they did what they should do. Which is beat the teams they should, this was the kind of game the Texans of old would lose.

I'm just really excited about this year.

Edited by Xboxless

Jonesizzle
I'm just really excited about this year.

You're not this crazy/stupid Texans fan are you?

user posted image

I'm happy with my Cowboys. Like you said, this is a game they should have won and did it in a decent fashion. Didn't watch the game entirely as I was able to catch the final 10 minutes of the fourth quarter. It seems like my Boys show promise with a win like this and then go out and just blatantly lose a game horrifically.

Does anyone else think the Packers could actually go undefeated this year? They have a awesome team. Like many people said they won that super bowl last year with, I think, 15 players on IR. This team is rolling on all cylinders right now. Also, what's up with Rivers f*ckin' up two weeks in a row? I think if he threw that ball where it was suppose to go, that could've been a TD, the receiver had the defender beat and Rivers just under threw him... badly.

B Rob

Well my Broncos rebounded from an ugly loss to the Lions with a good team win over the Raiders. Tebow looked much better this game. Sure the passing yards weren't all there but he didn't take sacks or make stupid plays. At 3-5 we are only one game out of the lead with the division leading Chiefs coming next week.

GTA3Rockstar
At 3-5 we are only one game out of the lead with the division leading Chiefs coming next week.

Must win game. Hope the Raiders can beat the Chargers thursday. icon14.gif

B Rob

@ GTA3Rockstar: Im rooting for the Raiders but I think the Chargers will win. Idk what it is but i just feel like the Broncos are going to make a push for the AFC worst (West) lol.

Funktipus

Incredible job by my Giants. I thought the game was over after Eli's bonehead play in the endzone. But once again, he saved the Giants with a masterful drive. I guess I owe Jerry Reese an apology - this Ballard kid is the real deal. Dude was money on those catches. Cruz did his thing, Jacobs ran with purpose, even Ramses Barden made big plays. Gut-check win, now it's on to 6-1 SF.

Xboxless

Haha, not that excited, but that man is bold. Too bold.

He's a hero, but not a role model.

B Rob

Incredible job by my Giants. I thought the game was over after Eli's bonehead play in the endzone. But once again, he saved the Giants with a masterful drive. I guess I owe Jerry Reese an apology - this Ballard kid is the real deal. Dude was money on those catches. Cruz did his thing, Jacobs ran with purpose, even Ramses Barden made big plays. Gut-check win, now it's on to 6-1 SF.

I agree it was a good game and Eli has been clutch the last 2 games. Giants and 49ers should be good next week. Could be a possible playoff preview.

Hobo Rocket

Agreed. Great game, and it brought back some Super Bowl XLII flashbacks by winning it in the final seconds.

49ers shall be tough, but I think we'll be ready for 'em. We'll have Nicks back and hopefully Bradshaw as well. If Jacobs can run a bit like he did yesterday, then maybe we'll start seeing more of the rotating between the two in the running game.

B Rob

LOL @ the Eagles losing again. Idk what it is that makes it funny, maybe the fact that the experts always talk them up like they are unbeatable. I also heard them saying how the eagles would challenge the pack, lol that's just not logical thinking.

Pagelzilla
Does anyone else think the Packers could actually go undefeated this year? They have a awesome team. Like many people said they won that super bowl last year with, I think, 15 players on IR. This team is rolling on all cylinders right now. Also, what's up with Rivers f*ckin' up two weeks in a row? I think if he threw that ball where it was suppose to go, that could've been a TD, the receiver had the defender beat and Rivers just under threw him... badly.

I'm trying not to think about undefeated as much as home field playoff advantage with the NFC championship at Lambeau. They very well could lose to the Giants in week 13, and any division game has the potential to go the other way - particularly when the Lions and Bears are playing this well. No doubt GB has the talent; it's about getting ahead early and controlling dumbass mistakes like 3rd and long defensive pass interference calls...

Forty

The Packers' passing game is the only reason they are beating people like they are. They don't run the ball whatsoever, which could come back to bite them later in the season when the elements more strongly affect the aerial attack. Also, their defense gives up a sh*t ton of points. The Packers right now are similar to the Colts of the mid 2000s wherein they can air it out all f*ckin day but they don't pound the rock and won't stop you on defense. They have quality position players all over the D but they don't put it together at once on gameday. That could be a problem.

I never bet on anyone to go undefeated. It's not very important honestly. All that matters is home field advantage.

Funktipus

I think the Giants pass rush could give Rodgers problems. But can our secondary hold up if the rush doesn't get there? I'd feel more confident if Terrell Thomas was playing.

Senex Iunior
The Packers' passing game is the only reason they are beating people like they are. They don't run the ball whatsoever, which could come back to bite them later in the season when the elements more strongly affect the aerial attack. Also, their defense gives up a sh*t ton of points. The Packers right now are similar to the Colts of the mid 2000s wherein they can air it out all f*ckin day but they don't pound the rock and won't stop you on defense. They have quality position players all over the D but they don't put it together at once on gameday. That could be a problem.

Oh God, did you just say "Pound the Rock"?... STFU MARINELLI!1!!1!!11!1!!

That's about my assessment of the team. If a team with at least a coverage defense (like the Lions') and a quarterback better than Flacco makes it into the Super Bowl, then the Packers will fall. That's my only bet against them if they earn HFA in the playoffs. (Remember the '97 Pack, if you will.)

As for the regular season, the Packers suffer only a predictable shot at losing to the Lions or the Giants. Still, in this bizarre year, anything's possible, even Kansas City beating them.

King Kapone

f*cking Eagles suck. I can't believe how horribly this season has been.

Andy Reid, pack your bags.

Desean Jackson, pack your bags.

Asante Samuels, pack your bags.

Forty
f*cking Eagles suck. I can't believe how horribly this season has been.

Andy Reid, pack your bags.

Desean Jackson, pack your bags.

Asante Samuels, pack your bags.

What is your issue with Asante Samuel?

DeSean Jackson has proven himself to be a one trick pony. All he's worth is running really fast in a straight line. He gator arms everything across the middle and has been usurped by Maclin as the go-to receiver for Vick- and rightfully so. Maclin is legit.

Bartleby
49ers shall be tough, but I think we'll be ready for 'em. We'll have Nicks back and hopefully Bradshaw as well. If Jacobs can run a bit like he did yesterday, then maybe we'll start seeing more of the rotating between the two in the running game.

Yeah, I feel like this is our first big test this Sunday. We've topped teams like the Seahawks, Browns, and Redskins, but we've still got teams on our schedule like the Giants, Ravens, and Steelers. Even still, I think even if we get hosed by each of these teams, it's still a good thing. Just the fact that we're winning the games that we should be winning is a clear sign football in San Francisco is finally getting watchable again after almost a decade.

That being said, I don't see us getting stomped by any of these teams. After the performance Eli "Butidontwannaplayforsandiego" Manning put up last week, it'll be a tough call. But I think for us to win, Alex Smith will have to get more involved. I don't think a one-dimensional offense will work for us this week, so if we can keep Frank Gore and Kendall Hunter moving the chains on occasion, that should open up passing lanes for Smith more often than not. I think if he throws at least 25 passes and completes roughly 60% of them, we'll be in good shape. I'm not too worried about the other side of the ball; it seems like New York has had trouble with the running game this year, and the 49ers D is very good at stopping the ground game. As long as our secondary shows up to play, we could at least contain Eli for most of the day. Either way, I think it'll be a fun game to watch.

Forty

It's hard for me to feel comfortable with Alex Smith as my starting QB, if I am a 49ers fan (which I'm not). The guy has not shown anything in his six seasons that would indicate he's a guy you can rely on to win games. I know he is mostly used as a game manager type, but part of me is waiting for the wheels to fall off. You guys have a solid defense though, and that helps a lot. If Gore stays healthy San Fran could go places.