New Monitor Help?

Ronnyboy

Since you guys basically built my old rig, I'm now in need of monitor help. Basically I'm torn on a tv or an actual computer monitor. The reason I'm looking at a TV is because my new house comes with a dish I plan to use for those FTA Satellite channels, and maybe my Xbox.

With a monitor however, I could use my new digital surround sound system, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to use my Xbox and computer with it, or even get Satellite to work on it. I'm also looking into cost differences, and HDMI is a must. Any help?

Fozzy Fozborne

Well what price/size are you looking at?

You mention not being able to use your surround-sound system with a TV. If it's a set of computer speakers, there are several ways you can get that to work. Something like this has an optical/Toslink/SPDIF input and output so it will allow you to use those speakers.

This is going to sound like a "duh" response but what are you planning on using it more for? If you want to play games on it from a decent distance as well as connect your Xbox frequently, a TV is a better option. If you mainly browse the web and stuff like that, a monitor is definitely the better option.

Your satellite receiver should output to HDMI provided it's a high-def receiver. It may output to component/composite, though. If that's the case a TV is your better option because most monitors don't have those options.

Also, this card is much cheaper but still supports digital-in Check it out.

Edited by Fozzy Fozborne

Well, I am looking around the 20-22'' range and as cheap as possible. I figure it'll be used for more browsing and computer games, but I will use a lot with recorded or live shows and xbox as well. So I'm thinking 50/50 so I assume I should go with a monitor?

leik oh em jeez!

HP w2207h maybe? It's got VGA and HDMI connections, USB hub, and built in speakers. You would need a special cable to use your surround sound with the 360, but you would need that for any HDMI screen without an audio output.

Or the w2338h. It's 1080p and has HDMI.

Edited by leik oh em jeez!

If you go the monitor route 2 things to think about...

1. Might want to look at monitors with 2 HDMI ports as well as a DVI port. Connect the PC via DVI, cable box on one HDMI and Xbox on the other. Other wise your HTS would have to have multple HDMI inputs for the cable box and Xbox to connect too.

2. There's no remote control for monitors (in most cases, saying that only in the case some few select ones do). So if you're laying back in bed, for example, and watching TV, you'll have to get up walk over to the monitor turn it off, then go back to bed.

leik oh em jeez!
Prefer Samsung as well as that what I currently have.

Here is the best of both worlds

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824001423

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824001424

Those are apparently mis-labeled as having VESA stands. Could make wall-mounting a problem.

It only says VESA mounting and even if the stand is using the VESA mount you can still remove it. I have yet to see a monitor whose stand couldn't be removed no matter how it's mounted.

leik oh em jeez!

No, apparently it has VESA mounting holes, but they aren't threaded. So you have to order a special mounting kit from samsung to use mounts other than the one that it comes with.

Well right now I have the choice of either an HD tv/monitor, or an iPad. I'm torn, but thanks for the help guys.

leik oh em jeez!

DON'T GET AN IPAD. Decide what you like about it. If it's the OS and apps, get an iPod touch. It's the same thing, but smaller and cheaper. If it's anything else, there's several other comanies making the same thing but hundreds cheaper. I believe there's even an Android-based one. Or there's the HP Slate. About the same thing as the iPad except it's got a computer processor and operating system, rather than a phone CPU and OS.

I really wish you would stop doing that.

If he wants to get an iPad then let him get an iPad. It's one thing to point out why you think he should get something else but don't tell people what to get or what not to get.

And trying to say the iPad is the exact same as the iPod Touch is just wrong. There are tons of things you can do with iPad that you can't do with the Touch.

As far as suggesting an Android tablet that's far enough but if he already has an Apple account and doesn't want to deal with having to go between 2 app stores/2 accounts/2 places to pay for stuff then iPad would be better. And don't forget about the higher risk of security issues that the Android has and the fact that it seems there are some updates to fix some of this issues but only for devices that support the new Android OS and flat out leaving the devices that are will still new enough just don't support the newer OS.

And before you say, "What about older iOS devices that can't use the newer iOS?" First that's a difference of age, however if there was a major security issue with the older iOS then yes Apple would release an update for that. With Android and the devices that use that OS, there are some relatively new devices that support up to a set version of the OS and came out when that version came out but don't support anything newer other thing smaller updates. For example it might support OS 2.2 but not 2.3 yet a patch of 2.2.3 would be fine.

leik oh em jeez!

I really don't think there's a person on this planet that can honestly say that the iPad is a better deal than the HP slate. It's a big smart phone (without a phone) vs a full computer running windows. For the same price.

user posted image

And trying to say the iPad is the exact same as the iPod Touch is just wrong. There are tons of things you can do with iPad that you can't do with the Touch.

It's 90% the same hardware, and it's got the same OS.

Look I'm not having this out with you...again.

I don't care if you think the HP Slate is better than the iPad or not. My point is that for the second DAMN time you've told someone what not to get.

If you had said "I like the HP Slate better and here's why...." That's called if given your opinion.

You saying "DO NOT GET AN IPAD" is you again telling someone what to do.

And this completely off topic discussion ends here and now. Either get back on topic or leave the topic alone.

kaptainkoolkat
I really wish you would stop doing that.

If he wants to get an iPad then let him get an iPad. It's one thing to point out why you think he should get something else but don't tell people what to get or what not to get.

As far as suggesting an Android tablet that's far enough but if he already has an Apple account and doesn't want to deal with having to go between 2 app stores/2 accounts/2 places to pay for stuff then iPad would be better. And don't forget about the higher risk of security issues that the Android has and the fact that it seems there are some updates to fix some of this issues but only for devices that support the new Android OS and flat out leaving the devices that are will still new enough just don't support the newer OS.

And before you say, "What about older iOS devices that can't use the newer iOS?" First that's a difference of age, however if there was a major security issue with the older iOS then yes Apple would release an update for that. With Android and the devices that use that OS, there are some relatively new devices that support up to a set version of the OS and came out when that version came out but don't support anything newer other thing smaller updates. For example it might support OS 2.2 but not 2.3 yet a patch of 2.2.3 would be fine.

He wanted advice leik oh em jeez! advised him.

Advice does not start with "DO NOT". Like I said, if he had said almost anything other than DO NOT then it might have been a suggestion or advice.

And since no one can seem to get back on topic then this topic is closed.