EFLC Freezing after playing around 10 seconds

Teo265

Hi all, so could anybody help me! My game always freezes after playing from 10 seconds to 50 seconds. I can still hear the sounds, but screen freezes. The computer still works fine, because it responds to CTRL+ALT+DEL but still...

I have ATi Radeon HD 5850 Overclocked Edition and Windows 7 Professional.

Updated drivers for GPU.

Sorry but it cannot be, i had Windows XP Professional before, and EFLC ran fine with maxed settings, and i have pretty powerful PC so it will never get heated from GTA. As i said, the computer itself didnt freeze at all, only EFLC.

With XP i was easilly capable to play around 5-6 hours straight with no problems, but now it doesn't work at all. I have the latest DirectX and ATI drivers installed, the Windows 7 is also totally updated so no old versions anywhere. Only thing that im missing is Adobe Flash player 9, but i have 10.2, which EFLC doesnt seem to support (still whining for Flash Player 9)

Edited by Teo265

What processor AND speed do you have? Are you using the Custom Tracks Player(Independence FM)? If so, that could be the problem..I have pretty much narrowed this down in III, VC, and SA-so this could be EFLC too.?

Now, for the facts supporting that statement: It seems like when GTA(ALL games) freeze, and I go to Ctrl+alt+delete to get to the task manager to end the process(game) to get back to the desktop it always says 100% usage for the processor, and then after I close the game, it goes back down to 0% to 5%(which is what the processor always runs at normally). I have confirmed this multiple times with all 3 GTA's(that I play) and with the same result. Each time I was using the User Track Station. This is true for XP (Home AND PRO), Vista Home Premium SP 1 and 2, and Windows 7 Home Premium. 3 out of 4 PC's are above Recommended for the games(III,VC, and SA that is), and 1 is above minimum for IV. The test PC's were XP PRO SP3, Intel Centrino(Core 2 Duo), 2GB RAM, Intel GMA w/128mb dedicated vram), one is Vista SP2, AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core, 3GB RAM, ATI Radeon x1250 w/1407mb vram, and one is 7 Home Premium, AMD Athlon X2 64 Dual Core, 3GB Ram, Nvidia Geforce 8200M G w/1407mb vram, and the 4th one is an XP Home SP3, AMD Sempron 798MHZ, 1GB RAM(the max. the manual says it supports), SIS/VIA video card w/32mb vram-believe it or not, this PC runs SA at 25fps with the Frame Limiter OFF-lol. So, in general that is more than likely the cause of most freezes-the processor tries to use too much power.

Edited by radioman

nightwalker83

Under Win7 with AMD Turion II Dual-Core Mobile M520 2.30 GHz 4GB RAM The game runs fine for me (Once I load TLAD that is).

Under Win7 with AMD Turion II Dual-Core Mobile M520 2.30 GHz 4GB RAM The game runs fine for me (Once I load TLAD that is).

There's the problem then you are on a laptop processor-laptop processors are not as powerful as there Desktop counterparts-they are lower power to preserve energy when the laptop is not plugged into a wall outlet. You are running at bare minimum processor specs for the game. I have confirmed this part too, as my desktop and Windows 7 laptop both have the exact same processor and speed and the exact same amount of RAM-AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core and 3GB RAM, and yet the laptop is a little slower than the desktop is...

So, bout the only thing you can do is to run the game at ALL minimum specs. Also, try "rolling back" to a previous driver version for the DX and Video card by going under System Restore-since you said it worked better before.

As I said before, the game itself worked perfectly with XP even with maxed out settings, no problems ever. But after i got Windows 7, it doesnt work. So im pretty sure the problem is in OS or someting, cannot be hardware problem.

As I said before, the game itself worked perfectly with XP even with maxed out settings, no problems ever. But after i got Windows 7, it doesnt work. So im pretty sure the problem is in OS or someting, cannot be hardware problem.

Did you not read the second paragraph of my last post? I gave a good solution right there to get it back to working somewhat..

So, bout the only thing you can do is to run the game at ALL minimum specs. Also, try "rolling back" to a previous driver version for the DX and Video card by going under System Restore-since you said it worked better before.

Also, try compatibility mode. Also, remember that Windows 7 uses more resources than XP. Windows 7 uses around 1.1GB-1.3GB of ram for the OS, whereas XP only uses around 580mb to 700mb RAM. Plus, XP's minimum ram requirement is 1.5GB for IV, whereas Vista and 7 is 2.5GB minimum. So, out of the 4GB that you have, since the OS uses around 1.1GB-1.3GB RAM, that pretty much just leaves the bare minimum for games(IV) to run...

Edited by radioman

Ok, so this is what happened:

1. Tried running the game in XP SP3 compability mode, freezed

2. Ran the game with mininum settings, freezed

And about rolling back to the old drivers, i can't do it because i just got this Windows 7, i just installed it like 5 days ago, and i installed the newest drivers at first, but as far as i can remember, i had the old drivers with my XP too...

Edited by Teo265

nightwalker83

There's the problem then you are on a laptop processor-laptop processors are not as powerful as there Desktop counterparts-they are lower power to preserve energy when the laptop is not plugged into a wall outlet. You are running at bare minimum processor specs for the game. I have confirmed this part too, as my desktop and Windows 7 laptop both have the exact same processor and speed and the exact same amount of RAM-AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core and 3GB RAM, and yet the laptop is a little slower than the desktop is...

I never said it worked better before! That is unless you are getting me confused with someone else. I said the game is working better for me on Win 7 than on my Vista pc.Although, yeah, I will try playing the game with minimum specs and see if that improves performance.

I never said it worked better before! That is unless you are getting me confused with someone else.

Yes, he is.

Teo265, system specification.

My system Specs:

CPU

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz 24 °C

Wolfdale 45nm Technology

RAM

2.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (5-5-5-18)

Motherboard

MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD MS-7512 (CPU 1)

Graphics

M2380D (1920x1080@60Hz)

ATI Radeon HD 5850 Overclocked Edition

Hard Drives

625GB Western Digital WDC WD6400AAKS-65A7B0 ATA Device (SATA) 24 °C

244GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD250HJ ATA Device (SATA) 20 °C

Optical Drives

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223F ATA Device

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

Are those correct, i checked them out from Speccy...

Edited by Teo265

Ok i give up, i have done everything possible, and it still wont work... Maybe i'll find a fix for it someday...

EDIT: Ok after i investigated it a little while, i found out that this is driver problem... But the question is, how can i download older drivers?

Edited by Teo265

Most of the time, the cause of the game freezing is due to the Processor trying to use too much resources. I have confirmed this to be true with III, VC, AND SA. Cause I too have a strong Dual Core processor on 3 out of 4 of my PC's, and the Processor usuage pretty much always stays around 2% to 14%, but when the game freezes, and I go to Ctrl+Alt+delete to get to the task manager to exit the game and get back to the desktop, it is always at 100% usuage, and then after the game closes, it goes back to normal. So, this is more than likely the cause of most game freezes.Just a heads up....

@Radioman

This problem tends to happen only with ATi 5850 with new drivers...

@Mkey82

Thanks for the link, but which drivers are the best for GTA IV/EFLC notify.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, ATI released new drivers (11.3) and of course the problem still exists... suicidal.gif

YankeesPwnMets

2GB of RAM isn't exactly enough for GTA IV. Try to disable your antivirus, any programs that are unessecary (Web browsers, iTunes, AIM, etc) and see what happens. You need to free up as much RAM as possible. If possible, buy some more RAM

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-TWIN2X4096-6...01785535&sr=1-1

DDR3 RAM is cheaper, but you have DDR2 right now, so it's better to stick with it.

2GB of RAM isn't exactly enough for GTA IV. Try to disable your antivirus, any programs that are unessecary (Web browsers, iTunes, AIM, etc) and see what happens. You need to free up as much RAM as possible. If possible, buy some more RAM

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-TWIN2X4096-6...01785535&sr=1-1

DDR3 RAM is cheaper, but you have DDR2 right now, so it's better to stick with it.

Thanks for your effort for helping, but as i have stated, the problem appears to be my GPU, the RAM or CPU haven't been problems playing EFLC or GTA IV before, the problems started appearing after i got new ATi GPU and Windows 7... It seems that the new ATi drivers fail, so I can only wait for new update. Before i could have easily played GTA IV hours straight (6-7 hours easilly) with maxed settings, and the game has always ran smoothly, it runs smoothly now too, but GPU seems to crash in the mid of playing... :S

The GPU is not crashing the game, I'm 99.9% sure of that. It's probably the combination of the OS and 2GB RAM, especially if previously had XP.

Yeah, two people among millions of users. That series must be defective or something.

Same can be said for Nvidia cards too. Just because the game worked for you with a Nvidia card and didn't work with an ATI one does not make it an universal ATI problem. Did you even read through the links that you've posted?