Most Controversial Video Games

Sam998

What are some others? I think there was a list somewhere about this but it can't hurt to make a topic.

Banned, now stay the f*ck out

Finn 7 five 11

The game Bully, that got a lot of negative attention because it supposedly encourage bullying.

silentsharklol

I'd say Manhunt 2 is the most controversial. The game is rated AO for the PC.

And Mortal Kombat is controversial.

user posted image

General Goose

Custer's Revenge and Ethnic Cleansing. Look em up on Wikipedia. Be disgusted.

Custer's Revenge and Ethnic Cleansing. Look em up on Wikipedia. Be disgusted.

Ethnic Cleansing was just so inept and stupid that in my opinion it winded up being pretty funny.

Kill the Jew overlord in the subway! The one planning on destroying the world or something! I mean yeah it was really racist but more funny than offensive, even though that obviously wasn't their intent.

Custers Revenge, yeah kinda stupid probably offensive.

Both where controversial though so thanks for the post.

Blackadder.

Postal 2. You can piss on people causing them to vomit then behead them with a shovel. Then light their corpse on fire.

Makes GTA look tame.

user posted image

GTA3Freak-2001
Postal 2. You can piss on people causing them to vomit then behead them with a shovel. Then light their corpse on fire.

Makes GTA look tame.

You missed pissing on said burning corpse and then shoving your shotgun's muzzle up said corpse's pet cat's backside and firing! Makes GTA seem mighty tame tounge.gif

Blackadder.

Haha, forgot about the cat silencers. tounge.gif

Oh, and also the ability to murder Gary Coleman.

user posted image

Manhunt, perhaps?

I wonder how Dwarf Fortress has dodged controversy...

Modern Warfare 2 with it's airport massacre level, which some people got very touchy about.

I recall Carmageddon getting it's fair share of flak back in the day.

Over here in Britain, a game called 'Hooligans' got a bit of media attention because it was at a time when football hooliganism was seemingly making a comeback.

The Sims

Mafia 2

Tomb Raider Underworld

COD Black Ops

Dead Space

How are they controversial games?

Other than what's been said...the recent Medal of Honor caused a bit of a stir due to the Taliban being in multiplayer. Then in Hitman Silent Assassin there was a level where you would kill Sikhs in the Harmandir Sahib which later got removed.

s0h607k.jpg

Haha I love Controversial games.

Rapelay, Postal 2, Manhunt, Ethnic Cleansing,

Chiller has to be one of my Favorites tho.

Anyone knows where to get that Special Operation 85 game?

I searched Ebay and well it came up with nothing.

You could probably find it online somewhere.

Harwood Butch3r

user posted image

Sunrise Driver
Anyone knows where to get that Special Operation 85 game?

I searched Ebay and well it came up with nothing.

You could probably find it online somewhere.

Lol. It's an Iranian anti-american game so I doubt you can find it @ eBay or Amazon. I'm sure it's available for free.

Manhunt has to top this list surely to god, some countries went apesh*t over this game!

Marc Eckos gettin up: Contents under pressure received its fair share of negativity though for supposedly promoting graffiti! I know that got banned in alot of places aswell.

SIG-2.jpg

pyramid head

The Sims

Mafia 2

Tomb Raider Underworld

COD Black Ops

Dead Space

How is Dead Space controversial?

Controversial games

Bully

Manhunt 1+2

MGS2 for the inclusion of Raiden

We Dare, depending on who you ask, i don't think we dare is controversial

Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness, depends on who you ask some people think its controversial i don't.

Persona 4 some people made a fuss because in-game characters shot themselves in the head, they thought if people played it they would shoot themselves in the head

Rule of Rose because of the fuss made about it, it wasn't released in the UK.

Mass Effect because of the optional romantic scene

Resistance Fall of Man that whole church controversy was stupid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversy_o...ce:_Fall_of_Man

Fallout 3, drug references, not being released in India, and the sensitivity in Japan issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_3#Controversies

Resident Evil 5 that whole rascism row was stupid, where was the person who complained about chris killing black zombies when the movie Amistad came out.

Tomb Raider because of the nude raider patch

LBP Lyrics from a licensed song, "Tapha Niang", were removed due to fears that Muslims would be offended. This led to controversy about the removal itself.

Bulletstorm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletstorm#Controversy

more controversial games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_contr...ial_video_games

banned games by country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games

Games that aren't controversial but some idiots think are controversial.

It was claimed Resident Evil 2 was a cop killing simulator, it conveniently ignored the fact that said cops were allready dead.

Half Life Blue Shift, it was claimed that HL blue shift was a security guard killing simulator.

It was claimed that Max Payne 2 is a cop killing simulator simply because at the start Max kills a bad guy who is dressed like a swat team member

Deus Ex 2, i read about someone blowing a kids head off with a shotgun as he sat eating with his parents, i'm surprised no fuss was made about this, couldn't find a vid of it on youtube.

Found a clip of a kid being killed in Deus Ex invisible war

Deus Ex: Discipline Your Child This is how you discipline your children in DX1 when they act up and go demanding candy bars and soy packets.

Makes me want to buy Deus Ex

Edited by pyramid head

lol good post pyramid head

The comments on the discipline your children video are hilarious

user posted image

Notice the "AO" rating.

This game made me laugh at the killing. It was soo brutal yes. But thats how the real world works.

Long Haired Freaky Guy
The Sims

Mafia 2

Tomb Raider Underworld

COD Black Ops

Dead Space

How are they controversial games?

The Sims 2 got controversy due to people hacking/modding the game and removing the pixel blur, apparently revealing the full nude parts on display, yet EA claim that they made it so the Sims never had any parts in the first place:

The Sims 2 malleable content and open-ended customization have led to controversy on the subject of pay sites and sexual modifications. Custom content is distributed through independent websites, some of which charge for downloading materials. It has been alleged that this is a breach of the game's EULA,[35] which prohibits the commercial use of Electronic Art's intellectual property.

On July 22, 2005, former Florida attorney Jack Thompson alleged that Electronic Arts and The Sims 2 promoted nudity through the use of a mod or a cheat code. The claim was made that pubic hair, labia and other genital details were visible once the "blur" (the pixelation that occurs when a Sim is using the toilet or is naked in the game) was removed.[36] Electronic Arts issued a statement saying that when the censor was removed, Sims lack such anatomical definition, similar to Barbie and Ken dolls. Electronic Arts executive Jeff Brown said in an interview with GameSpot:[37]

This is nonsense. We've reviewed 100 percent of the content. There is no content inappropriate for a teen audience. Players never see a nude Sim. If someone with an extreme amount of expertise and time were to remove the pixels, they would see that the sims have no genitals. They appear like Ken and Barbie.

Prior to Thompson's statement, there was an enterable code which removed pixelation accessible from the console menu. Shortly after the statement, subsequent patches and expansion packs removed the "intProp censorGridSize" code; this code was leftover from the beta testing stage of the original game and was not intended for a public audience.

Source: Wikipedia

And yeah, I believe the most recent one I heard of was when MW2 was released, with the whole Airport level, hence the option to skip that level.

The Sims 2 got controversy due to people hacking/modding the game and removing the pixel blur, apparently revealing the full nude parts on display, yet EA claim that they made it so the Sims never had any parts in the first place:

The Sims 2 malleable content and open-ended customization have led to controversy on the subject of pay sites and sexual modifications. Custom content is distributed through independent websites, some of which charge for downloading materials. It has been alleged that this is a breach of the game's EULA,[35] which prohibits the commercial use of Electronic Art's intellectual property.

On July 22, 2005, former Florida attorney Jack Thompson alleged that Electronic Arts and The Sims 2 promoted nudity through the use of a mod or a cheat code. The claim was made that pubic hair, labia and other genital details were visible once the "blur" (the pixelation that occurs when a Sim is using the toilet or is naked in the game) was removed.[36] Electronic Arts issued a statement saying that when the censor was removed, Sims lack such anatomical definition, similar to Barbie and Ken dolls. Electronic Arts executive Jeff Brown said in an interview with GameSpot:[37]

This is nonsense. We've reviewed 100 percent of the content. There is no content inappropriate for a teen audience. Players never see a nude Sim. If someone with an extreme amount of expertise and time were to remove the pixels, they would see that the sims have no genitals. They appear like Ken and Barbie.

Prior to Thompson's statement, there was an enterable code which removed pixelation accessible from the console menu. Shortly after the statement, subsequent patches and expansion packs removed the "intProp censorGridSize" code; this code was leftover from the beta testing stage of the original game and was not intended for a public audience.

If I remember right our very own illspirit was the one who 'alerted' Jack Thompson to this in a vague email mocking concern to both make a fool out of him and his methods and bring light to the extent in which his case against Rockstar during the Hot Coffee controversy was completely and utterly absurd.

So, yeah, in a way GTAF is responsible for that one tounge.gif

Long Haired Freaky Guy

If I remember right our very own illspirit was the one who 'alerted' Jack Thompson to this in a vague email mocking concern to both make a fool out of him and his methods and bring light to the extent in which his case against Rockstar during the Hot Coffee controversy was completely and utterly absurd.

So, yeah, in a way GTAF is responsible for that one tounge.gif

Be good to see some history on that, though I doubt Ill will still have the E-Mail, or whether the topic on here will still exist. confused.gif