Drug Use?

jdrandall38

jdrandall38

This is something I never understood about GTA. As the protaganist throughout the GTA series, you have stolen, sold, and watched as friends and foes used all sorts of different drugs. But yet (in the cutscenes), whenever someone offered you to do them, he (the protagonist) turned them down. I don't get it. You are tellin me Tommy Vercetti wasn't snortin' blow in VICE CITY in the '80s. Come on now. Just make it realistic.

This is something I never understood about GTA. As the protaganist throughout the GTA series, you have stolen, sold, and watched as friends and foes used all sorts of different drugs. But yet (in the cutscenes), whenever someone offered you to do them, he (the protagonist) turned them down. I don't get it. You are tellin me Tommy Vercetti wasn't snortin' blow in VICE CITY in the '80s. Come on now. Just make it realistic.

Maby it's a way from R* to tell the (players)you that drugs is a bad thing.

This is something I never understood about GTA.  As the protaganist throughout the GTA series, you have stolen, sold, and watched as friends and foes used all sorts of different drugs.  But yet (in the cutscenes), whenever someone offered you to do them, he (the protagonist) turned them down.  I don't get it.  You are tellin me Tommy Vercetti wasn't snortin' blow in VICE CITY in the '80s.  Come on now. Just make it realistic.

I'm pretty sure it is. They get enough fire from the media & others about the things you can do in the game, if they added that, they may just have pushed their luck too far... sad.gif

jlm5lRl.png

🌴                    🌴                    🌴                     🌴                    🌴                    🌴 

jdrandall38
This is something I never understood about GTA.  As the protaganist throughout the GTA series, you have stolen, sold, and watched as friends and foes used all sorts of different drugs.  But yet (in the cutscenes), whenever someone offered you to do them, he (the protagonist) turned them down.  I don't get it.  You are tellin me Tommy Vercetti wasn't snortin' blow in VICE CITY in the '80s.  Come on now. Just make it realistic.

I understand and agree but i also don't think you should kidnap, murder, or steal either which you do throughout the game so it still is blurry to me.

I understand and agree but i also don't think you should kidnap, murder, or steal either which you do throughout the game so it still is blurry to me.

It may be done this way because for regular people going on shooting sprees killing cops is "out of moral reach" whilst doing drugs are not that far out for some.

jdrandall38

It may be done this way because for regular people going on shooting sprees killing cops is "out of moral reach" whilst doing drugs are not that far out for some.

You may be right. It is something that younger immature people may seek out if they see their GTA hero doing. It may be the same reason you don't hit/shoot women in the cutscenes (although you do in gameplay)... just morally wrong i guess.

I think it could show drug abuse in a serious way but I have no problem with the selling and distribution of drugs. I think they would have to show the downsides of drugs though. For example, a close friend could die from an OD. I wouldn't like a junkie protag

Well we can already get drunk. And then go driving! (WTF?)

So i don't see how getting high would be any different.

Who can say one is that much worse than the other?

I wouldn't object to the idea, but i don't see it happening.

On a side note: Isn't Max Payne 3 going to involve drugs? I read somewhere that it did. Maybe the first two had aswel, i wouldn't know since i never played them sad.gif

user posted image

NotoriousKiller

Hopefully the next GTA has drug use and is in San Andreas. I want to roll down the streets of Los Santos in my 64, smoking a blunt, jockin the bitches and slappin' the hoes all at once. That would be epic.

I'm pretty sure it is. They get enough fire from the media & others about the things you can do in the game, if they added that, they may just have pushed their luck too far... sad.gif

I Don't see why not the Game is labelled 18 for Adults, not Kids. smile.gif

Finn 7 five 11

The media picks abd chooses stupid things to complain about...like the drink driving thing in GTA IV

If you can f*ck a hooker and kill people, than what's so different about drug use? In GTA I want my character to f*ckin' smoke weed and sniff coke. But you could use a drug in Vice City(some pill that made sh*t go in slow motion)

I Don't see why not the Game is labelled 18 for Adults, not Kids. smile.gif

Agreed, thats was pisses me off about all this fuss over bad things in games & it's negative effect on kids. There was no effect on me playing GTA1 when i was 8 or 9. they have ratings for a reason, if you think it's innapropriate then don't buy/play it & leave it alone for the rest of us!

jlm5lRl.png

🌴                    🌴                    🌴                     🌴                    🌴                    🌴 

roofies/date rape would push the moral boundaries and keep the series in the spotlight, there not much else that would really, besides seeing actual sex or killing babies.

edit- while removing female fan base...lol

I remember you could take "speed" pills in GTA III. Can't remember if they were in Vice (very rare if they were). The stuff would make everything slow-mo giving you much higher speed and strength.

Finn 7 five 11

I remember you could take "speed" pills in GTA III.  Can't remember if they were in Vice (very rare if they were).  The stuff would make everything slow-mo giving you much higher speed and strength.

Those were adrenaline pills (they were cool)

I must say the whole getting drunk thing in GTA IV was crap anyway, i would like to see getting high if everything turned into a sort of mario land, that would actually be worthwhile.

I remember you could take "speed" pills in GTA III. Can't remember if they were in Vice (very rare if they were). The stuff would make everything slow-mo giving you much higher speed and strength.

They weren't rare at all. I don't know about in III though because I haven't played enough of it.

I think drug use would be awesome. And just to "flip off" the media i think it should be shown in a positive light so that R* doesn't play into the bullcrap plotline of "Guy has it all. Guy does drugs. Guy has nothing. Guy gets off drugs and has everything again"

We don't need anymore movies/games/whatever that portray drugs as abominations. Maybe some people think they are, but I'm sick of being told moral lessons from games.

Banned, now stay the f*ck out

there is a drug topic that already exists, titled "Drugs," but here's what I wrote there:

Frankly, I don't really care whether or not drugs are a main part of the storyline because I'm pretty sure R* can churn out a good story either way.

I do want there to be some kind of drug dealing system, though, at least as a means of making extra money. I haven't played CTW so I can't really comment on that system or even use it as a reference, but I really want the drug-dealing system to be somewhat complex. What I mean by "complex" is not just a simple go here, do that, make X amont of money, repeat. Instead, I want to have to decide buying what, and selling it where, and to whom; and have all these decisions affect the outcome of whether or not it's a successful transaction. I want there to be some degree of uncertainty involved, because such is the reality of the drug trade.

I'd really like to see the ability to use drugs in the next GTA and taking different substances evokes unique effects upon the user. Here's what I had in mind:

Alcohol - more or less the same as it is in IV and RDR.

Downers/Heroin - just as in some previous GTAs, the pill causes everything to go in slowmotion for 30-60 seconds.

Uppers/Cocaine - speeds up gameplay by 3x and everything is in hyper-motion for 30-60 seconds.

Weed - perhaps all the colors displayed on the screen begin changing and continue to change and alternate in psychedelic fashion for 30-60 seconds (can't think of much else to distinguish it from the above affects).

Ultimately, the option of dealing drugs and also using them would inadvertently apply the unwritten rule of "don't get high on your own supply," and this would add another element of free choice to the game, which I think many fans would enjoy.

Darkshade12

You are always the good bad guy in GTA (if you get what i mean) You do what you have to do but you don't take drugs and like in IV help out people (Stranger missions)

It depends on what drugs. If it's heroin, then no, because I doubt anyone would like to play as a washed up heroin addict. Cocaine, maybe. It's still a heavy drug but it doesn't cause physical addiction. As for drugs like cannabis, I don't see why not, because those are not dangerous at all, it just relaxes and if you don't use it too much, you can't cause harm to yourself. Even children from all over the world smoke a blunt every now and then, why can't a GTA protagonist?

It depends on what drugs. If it's heroin, then no, because I doubt anyone would like to play as a washed up heroin addict. Cocaine, maybe. It's still a heavy drug but it doesn't cause physical addiction. As for drugs like cannabis, I don't see why not, because those are not dangerous at all, it just relaxes and if you don't use it too much, you can't cause harm to yourself. Even children from all over the world smoke a blunt every now and then, why can't a GTA protagonist?

icon14.gif

Mokrie Dela

I'm all for drug use. I've included it in the narration of Thames City, but the main character kind of has an opposition to drugs so it's a side-thing. Optional.

In San Andreas, CJ was anti-drugs, i believe, so he wouldn't do them.

IV, Niko wasn't the sort of person who would take drugs, and if he DID, it would destroy the Darko scene.

Vice City i think they just didn't dare tread that path.

I'd like to see it though, it depends on the story and character however.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

087rqaU.pngVw81Z2a.pngxWvxZoT.png1fb6cYB.png

Click here to view my Poetry

in IV, I didn't want to play as an alcoholic, but it was nice to have the option to get drunk when I wanted. So, I don't think using heroin here and there throughout the game constitutes a "washed up heroin addict."

in IV, I didn't want to play as an alcoholic, but it was nice to have the option to get drunk when I wanted. So, I don't think using heroin here and there throughout the game constitutes a "washed up heroin addict."

It's a bit hard to do heroin "just here and there". You could with weed, probably could with some pills, probably with Ecstasy, but not with heroin. Heroin is by far the most addictive drug on the planet.

It's a bit hard to do heroin "just here and there". You could with weed, probably could with some pills, probably with Ecstasy, but not with heroin. Heroin is by far the most addictive drug on the planet.

Wrong. Nicotine is more addictive than heroin.

The point I'm trying to get across is: you can consume a drug, any drug, without being a "washed up addict." Therefore, I think it's unfair, and rather pointless, to omit a certain drug because of some possible implications, yet include others. For me it's either all or nothing. Clearly, I'm for all of them. I think all of them could bring their own fun unique twist on gameplay.

The point I'm trying to get across is: you can consume a drug, any drug, without being a "washed up addict." Therefore, I think it's unfair, and rather pointless, to omit a certain drug because of some possible implications, yet include others. For me it's either all or nothing. Clearly, I'm for all of them. I think all of them could bring their own fun unique twist on gameplay.

But nicotine is less dangerous. You get lung cancer after you smoke for a long time, but organism gets addicted to heroin quickly. Besides, it isn't that hard to leave cigars (my father did it), but I doubt you can wear off heroin so easily.

Finn 7 five 11

Sam houser seems intent on Pushing the boundaries as i found from some of his interviews.

Sam Houser: Our games are consciously made for adults -- it's why we started the company.... [From 17 years old] and up, I think we have a right to play what we want to play. And that's that. And as long as it's not touching on themes that are socially inappropriate -- and some films do it, and I think games should be allowed to do it, but let's be respectful -- as long as you're not doing that, what's the f***ing problem? Adults should be able to play what they want. America, the country I'm now a citizen of and love, is built on that premise....

http://www.1up.com/features/sam-houser-speaks?pager.offset=2

i think he brushes on it in these two threads as well

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/grand-th...14323586065/p-2

http://www.mcvuk.com/features/282/MCV-LEGENDS-Sam-Houser

VercettiCrimeFamily

Maybe because R* are trying to show there making it not 'Cool' to take drugs, If you look at the game Manhunt or Manhunt2,

Can't remember which one but on one of the games,

You inject heroin on one mission.. Now thats pretty weird, due to heroin being a very life threatening

drug, I thought to myself that's probably one of the reasons it was banned.

Source?

No matter what you're dipsh*t health teacher told you nicotine is Not the most addictive thing in the universe. People can't take heroin here and there. Some lucky people can take it once and stop, but not "here and there". "Washed up addict" is a bit of an overstatement when reffering to former addicts though, as with time they can become fine.

Edited by Sam998