Sony being Sued By LG

Gareth Alan Willmer

Gareth Alan Willmer

Looks like LG is getting a little to big for its boots now that its going after Sony claming the Playstation 3's blue ray drive violates its patients

LG Suing Sony

Shipments of Sony's PS3 to Europe are currently being blocked by customs, after the platform holder lost a legal battle with electronics rival LG

A preliminary injunction granted against Sony in a legal dispute over patents related to Sony's use of Blu-ray movie playback technology allegedly belonging to LG.

The Hague court has ordered the temporary confiscation of all PS3 units shipped to UK and Europe for at least 10 days. Tens of thousands of PS3 have already been seized by customs in the Netherlands, according to the Guardian.

Sony ships around 100,000 units to the effected region each week. Most retailers will apparently have enough PS3 units to last two to three weeks, but if LG should succeed in having the injunction extended the affects of the ban could make Sony's console very hard to come by come late next month.

Sony is reportedly "frantically" pursuing a lift on the ban, and has the right to appeal to the European patents office.

LG called for an investigation earlier this month into the alleged infringements spanning seven patents concerning PS3s and Sony's Bravia TVs, seeking a "permanent exclusion order ... excluding entry into the United States" of the PS3.

If Sony loses the battle it could be ordered to pay hundreds of millions of pounds in compensation to LG for every PS3 sold worldwide

So because of some minor issues that LG could of settled themselves with Sony without causing all of this legal hassle to begin with and to cause Playstation 3 customers hassle instead they decide to cause Sony and there customers problems by doing this. Not to mention all the people who just lost there PS3s they bought thanks to LG having nothing better to do.

This makes me sick i refuse to purchase another LG product again. And it turns out LG has infringed on sonys rights with there phones. If thats not getting to big for there boots i dont know what is. that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif

LG see if you ever sell me another one of your products again because enough people will be planning mass boycotts against you. I'm sorry, but you don't wait until a device has been out 5 years before trying to bring out the ban hammer, LG can f**k right off.

OverTheBelow

Sony deserves a kick up the arse anyway judging from their recent activity.

DU8afL0.jpg

It's just patent trolling on both sides, Sony sued them, they sued back, they got theirs quicker!

According to various members of the PS3 hacking scene, it was them that found this evidence and sent it to LG in the first place. IF that's true, then we can all thank the PS3 hacking community for being dicks.

OverTheBelow
According to various members of the PS3 hacking scene, it was them that found this evidence and sent it to LG in the first place. IF that's true, then we can all thank the PS3 hacking community for being dicks.

Eye for an eye.

Sony were dicks to the modders. The situation wouldn't be nearly as bad if they pulled the old 'we love modders' thing that Microsoft do.

DU8afL0.jpg

Gareth Alan Willmer

LG have accomplished many things by doing this

1. Opened themselves to a class action boycott by existing Playstation 3 Customers and there own Customers with Playstation 3's. This means that all these people will form groups which will go to websites, stores etc selling LG products and warn other people what LG has done to the Playstation 3 owners by having there units confiscated and delivery stopped threw no fault of there own. That will drive those customers away from the LG brand and will also stop them buying LG products.

2.Placed themselves in a position where the media can now have a field day with this and once those stories are aired there is a high risk of those story’s going viral with video sharing websites such as youtube,dailymotion etc. With millions of people seeing that LG are going to suffer heavy losses.

3.Caused there business to lose a massive amount of revenue and profits and if this escalates to far to the point where people are fed up which there is little chance of this happening then they are going to find themselves in deep financial trouble or worse.

4.Face the possibility of a lawsuit from Playstation 3 fans for causing them loses of the Playstation 3 consoles and even some from other businesses for loss of revenue.

Its not just Sony at fault. LG have really dropped the ball here. Lets wait and see what kicks off biggrin.gif

Sony were dicks to the modders. The situation wouldn't be nearly as bad if they pulled the old 'we love modders' thing that Microsoft do.

Where the f*ck did you pull that one from? Your ass? If Microsoft finds out that you hacked their system they will brick it and make it unplayable. And it aint "modders" that are doing it, it is hackers and pirates. The PS3 was impossible to pirate for, until recently, and Sony tries to stop it.

DVf9mQs.png

Formerly known as The General

Eye for an eye.

To be fair, it's really not, if Sony took an Eye, then the PS3 hacking scene have blown the body up, cremated it, snorted it's ashes and then threw themselves off a cliff.

The hacking scene have done a lot more damage to Sony then they ever caused to them, last reports in, only around 6% of all users on PS3 hacking sites have actually checked out the OtherOS restoration project, where do the rest go? That's right, the ISO Loading side! tounge.gif

leik oh em jeez!

Looking at previous comments, I don't think everyone fully understood what's going on. No customer's PS3s are being taken. It's just NEW PS3s being shipped in. They are being taken and held BEFORE they arrive at stores.

CharmingCharlie

As far as I am aware it was Sony that started all this. I haven't been following this crapfest too closely but from what I understand Sony started proceedings to sue LG for using Sony patented technology in LG phones. Naturally when LG got wind of the fact that Sony may be using LG patented technology in the PS3 they replied in kind.

I find it strange how Gareth seems to be so pro Sony here and acting as if Sony is the victim when they actually started this in the first place. I take it the TC is of the view that Sony is allowed to do whatever it likes to protect it's tech but other companies are not allowed to do the same ?

You say that LG could have settled this with Sony without resorting to injunctions and court proceedings well guess what Sony could have settled the Phone lawsuit without resorting to proceedings. In short they are both as bad as each other.

As for it taking them 5 years to sue Sony, that could be down to a lot of reasons. Primarily it could be that knowledge of Sony using other peoples tech in their console has just come to light. That seems like a pretty reasonable assumption to me when you consider much of the tech in the PS3 is secret.

This won't hurt LG you see most people actually couldn't give a sh*t. I know I don't care and I will continue to buy LG products because I like them. The only people that will every boycott a company over this are die hard Sony fans and it is unlikely they would have ever bought an LG product in the first place dozingoff.gif

Long Haired Freaky Guy
The only people that will every boycott a company over this are die hard Sony fans and it is unlikely they would have ever bought an LG product in the first place dozingoff.gif

Or you can look at the fact that die-hard PS3 fans already actually own the consoles already, so are actually not bothered in the slightest.

Mister Pink
snip

That's just exactly what I was thinking.

I liked the way the OP never considered time it takes to build evidence and legal proceedings plus everything else that that could be taken in to account and to just agree with you on your biased observation would be insulting to us all. I'm drunk now, forgive me but you lost me when you said 'cause they've nothing better to do.'

LG have accomplished many things by doing this

1. Opened themselves to a class action boycott by existing Playstation 3 Customers and there own Customers with Playstation 3's. This means that all these people will form groups which will go to websites, stores etc selling LG products and warn other people what LG has done to the Playstation 3 owners by having there units confiscated and delivery stopped threw no fault of there own. That will drive those customers away from the LG brand and will also stop them buying LG products.

2.Placed themselves in a position where the media can now have a field day with this and once those stories are aired there is a high risk of those story’s going viral with video sharing websites such as youtube,dailymotion etc. With millions of people seeing that LG are going to suffer heavy losses.

3.Caused there business to lose a massive amount of revenue and profits and if this escalates to far to the point where people are fed up which there is little chance of this happening then they are going to find themselves in deep financial trouble or worse.

4.Face the possibility of a lawsuit from Playstation 3 fans for causing them loses of the Playstation 3 consoles and even some from other businesses for loss of revenue.

Its not just Sony at fault. LG have really dropped the ball here. Lets wait and see what kicks off biggrin.gif

Nothing but conjecture.

The only people that will every boycott a company over this are die hard Sony fans and it is unlikely they would have ever bought an LG product in the first place  dozingoff.gif

Or you can look at the fact that die-hard PS3 fans already actually own the consoles already, so are actually not bothered in the slightest.

This.. this lawsuit BS doesn't affect me. Unless Sony decides to start charging for PSN in which case I'll stop playing online which I only use for Red Dead Redemption and I would miss that terribly.

Who's got the popcorn cause this sh*t is gonna be entertaining as f*ck.

Oh and wheres the booze biggrin.gif

leik oh em jeez!

Looks to me like Sony called out LG on using Sony Tech, so then LG brought out some bullsh*t claims to cost Sony money and scare them into dropping the lawsuit. I'd like to see how this turns out, Seeing as how both sides are accusing each other of using the other's Blu-Ray tech.

Finn 7 five 11

They won't start charging for online, but this could delay the next console by sony if anything bad comes of it.

I like Sony for the playstation so i hope LG loses, but stealing patents isn't exactly fair play...on either part.

By the way there is the sony suing LG thread.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/242868,sony-...ones-to-us.aspx

Edited by finn4life

So Sony rips LG off by "violating its patients" and LG are the bad guys? What the hell?

Also, Gaz, you believe way too much in consumer power to rise up against corporations. It's not that people can't, but people don't want to. You'd think if it came out that Nike were abusing hundreds of thousands of people who earn what might as well be a slave's wage we'd all stop buying those super awesome sneakers, but we dont because we dont care.

Also "Grr! LG getting to big for their boots by protecting their own assets in a bid to be an even larger technology company perhaps even to rival Sony in the future. How very dare they!"

Edited by Robinski
user posted image

So I think we've all learned a valuable lesson today.

Never, ever read a post made by Gareth Allen Wilmer (or at the very least attempt to comprehend it and actually imagine the thought patterns that went into conceiving it) because he literally never has and never will actually have a clue about what he's talking about.

Also, go opposing chains of corporate bureaucracy. I'm sure one of you will scrape some chrome off of the other one of these days and whodathunkit that chain will be a little less shiny but oh so similarly oppressive and overbearing.

Business is business and honestly when has it ever not acted in this manner? This is hardly worth calling news.

Also, generally speaking, in my experience, LG products are a sh*tlot more reliable than Sony products. Though how that's related to this situation I don't really know, but for some reason I felt it worth mentioning.

Edited by The-King

I own a PS3 and i wont be boycotting any LG products from now on, i have my PS3 sitting next to my tv so im sorted biggrin.gif

So just to clarify, if LG dropped the price of a 52" TV to £50, you wouldnt buy it because they went against sony?

SIG-2.jpg

Adam Jensen

Since I don't give a sh*t about either company I say let them do what they want to each other.

Gareth Alan Willmer

So I think we've all learned a valuable lesson today.

Never, ever read a post made by Gareth Allen Wilmer (or at the very least attempt to comprehend it and actually imagine the thought patterns that went into conceiving it) because he literally never has and never will actually have a clue about what he's talking about.

Also, go opposing chains of corporate bureaucracy. I'm sure one of you will scrape some chrome off of the other one of these days and whodathunkit that chain will be a little less shiny but oh so similarly oppressive and overbearing.

Business is business and honestly when has it ever not acted in this manner? This is hardly worth calling news.

Also, generally speaking, in my experience, LG products are a sh*tlot more reliable than Sony products. Though how that's related to this situation I don't really know, but for some reason I felt it worth mentioning.

If thats your oppinion then quite frankly i wouldnt be suprised if other members on this forum where laughing at you as well as me. By the way ive had Playstation 1 2 and 3 and they have worked flawless for years so im assuming your unlucky with Sony products.

And for you to say Lg products are more reliable when there is no evidence to support that alone is enough to make me laugh at you even more. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Edited by Gareth Alan Willmer

Well only going off first hand experience I can say that, for me, LG has been much more reliable and consistent. I've had an LG touchscreen phone for about 4 years now and it's still going as well as the first day I got it, but I've gone through 2 sony dvd players in the same(ish) period. I even helped a mate set up his family's tv set up a while back, it had a Sony Blue-Ray, TV, Surround Sound Amp and PS3, and even then a lot of the appliances refused to even acknowledge each other.

Sure it's just one person's experience, but people are more likely to go with their own experiences than stories from others when choosing a brand name.

user posted image

By the way ive had Playstation 1 2 and 3 and they have worked flawless for years so im assuming your unlucky with Sony products.

I've had three Playstations, two PS2s and a PS3 that have conked out. Still, a lot less than my Xbox failure rate.

Unrelated, I have never had a PC break down on me wink.gif But this is irrelevant.

leik oh em jeez!

I've had a PS1, 2, & 3. The PS2 took a hell of a beating but I've never had ANY Sony products fail on me. Me, my room mates, my Dad, my girlfriend's Dad, and my girlfriend's brother each have Sony HD TVs. None of them have ever had problems.

Now LG is a different story. My only LG phone died, and one of my girlfriend's two old LG phones died. So to me LG is not really a top quality manufacturer, though they are still miles ahead of companies like Sanyo or Emerson.

If you want good quality hardware, Look to HP. For anything HP doesn't make, look to Samsung or Sony.

OverTheBelow

Where the f*ck did you pull that one from? Your ass? If Microsoft finds out that you hacked their system they will brick it and make it unplayable. And it aint "modders" that are doing it, it is hackers and pirates. The PS3 was impossible to pirate for, until recently, and Sony tries to stop it.

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2010/12/01...ew-and-hacking/

http://www.redmondpie.com/geohot-sued-by-s...-ps3-jailbreak/

http://www.techspot.com/news/42635-sony-wa...ng-lawsuit.html

http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/2/18/sonys-ps3...-hackers-claim/

All googled.

Edited by OverTheBelow

DU8afL0.jpg

leik oh em jeez!

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2010/12/01...ew-and-hacking/

http://www.redmondpie.com/geohot-sued-by-s...-ps3-jailbreak/

http://www.techspot.com/news/42635-sony-wa...ng-lawsuit.html

http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/2/18/sonys-ps3...-hackers-claim/

All googled.

Looking at those articles, it's not quite the same thing.

Microsoft is worrying about homebrew, which expands the usefulness of devices and increases sales.

Sony is worrying about piracy, which creates free copies of games, and decreases sales.

Eye for an eye.

And thats why so many people hate M$ because not only do they make you pay for stuff that come free with other consoles, but when it comes to hackers, and modders........they don't give a sh*t, at least Sony is actually trying to slow it down, and how can you say Sony was to hard on the modders? Thats like saying you approve that they're stealing games, and other content that honest working people worked hard for just to make, plus they ruin everyone else's online experience by putting hacks, and cheats on, like that f*cking speed mod on MCLA, you wanna know how many cars I've seen on the 360 version that were hacked up, and how little they were on the PS3 version AFTER they started to crack down on these guys? I say that Sony had full rights to bust the little pricks!

If you want good quality hardware, Look to HP.

Holy sh*t, please tell me you were being sarcastic.

Slosten.gif

leik oh em jeez!

Why would I be?

You think some E-machines will stand up to an HP xw-series workstation? I don't think so. The only company that comes close is Dell.

Or do you want to get into HP Slate vs. Apple iPad?

Why would I be?

You think some E-machines will stand up to an HP xw-series workstation? I don't think so. The only company that comes close is Dell.

Or do you want to get into HP Slate vs. Apple iPad?

HP is a f*cking awful company. You're the only person I've talked to that actually prefers them over any of their competitors.

Slosten.gif